Random Thoughts From First Five Games 2022 | The Boneyard

Random Thoughts From First Five Games 2022

Reaction Score
A little sad it took Dorka’s injury to show how much progress Aaliyah has made. Certainly, the need for her to do so was imperative and happy to see she delivered, then some……to me, none more significant than showing a correction on a defensive switch (after an error) and defended Clark so well to cause a charge (Clark reaching the peak of her frustration from seeing blue in her face throughout the 2nd half)……and great post defense, that jumper from the elbow - money!

Azzi and Paige share a trait, unsefish: they have to be told to take over before they do it. I suspect the coaches will get on her for that but her teammates will, too.

Nika is going to hear it from the Coach: when her teammates are not moving, go on the offense yourself…..drive to the basket or whatever.

Happy to see Aubrey playing really well. She should lose the hesitation when shooting from distance. She’s going to hear it from her coaches and teammates. If she continues this trend they have a good chance to reach another FF, as long as

Caroline continues her recovery. Good to see her rounding into form in the second half against Iowa.

I am not sure the Coaches expected Lou to be this good…..hope she continues the trend and gets better, still, on the defensive side.

As Paige said, Nika has always been like this and she is showing it more. At some point, she should show a bit more of her offense, too.

The broken thumb interrupted Dorka’s progress in team play…..I still think that despite not being strong enough to body up to Boston last year, she could have made a difference in that title game with her shooting.

Ayanna is getting more controlled…..she could be a force in the boards come March.

Nika is something else. Relatively safe lead towards the end of the game against Iowa, dribbles backing up to Marshall and then bumps her with her tush…..in an otherwise pressure-free moment. Sending a message? Or simply can’t help it.

Decision-making and movement on offense not yet consistently smooth, especially against the zone, though promising in moments. But defense has started out really good.

I feel sad, in a way…..Paige and Azzi came to UConn to play together. They haven’t had a chance when both are fully healthy. Will next year be the only time? With Azzi playing like this, they would have been a terror to opposing teams and I would have bet on them against South Carolina (even with that front court of theirs, though I might have felt better with Ice progressing through the season much like Ayanna).

sun

Reaction Score
Just make believe that Ice & Paige are playing the newfangled way, by doing it remotely from the bench.
They're doing almost everything remotely now days, it's the new fad.
Just ask Coach Paige & she'll say, "All you need to do is believe!"

There is a 5th dimension....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
From all of last year to the first month of this year, Uconn has been cursed with injuries that would have decimated other teams. They have for the most part overcome these injuries. Uconn has a backbone as wide as a Semi to do what they did last year and for the start they are on at the beginning of this year. Husky grit and perseverance from the players and the Geno's great coaching has the team heading in the right direction. As the season progresses, Uconn will only get better with every game, and hopefully have the team at full strength come March and the really important games. I hope and pray. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
One other thing: this "undermanned" team is working its way up the scale of my favorite UConn WBB teams: the Gabby-Kia junior year team will forever stay on the top of the perch. Like the other UConn winning teams, both of them show extraordinary will to win against the odds. This one is better equipped, nevertheless gut-punched with key injuries before the start of the season and then another as they run a gauntlet in its first 5 games while playing into their new roles. Although this one will not face the growing pressure from extending the consecutive win streak they were authoring (as undermanned as they were and getting exhausted as the year wore on), it will face a similar pressure: to extend the consecutive run to the Final Four and finally break the modest NC drought (though they will not be expected to by everyone, they will feel it anyway and the underdog role will suit them fine).

Go! UConn!

Reaction Score
Many on the BY underestimated Lou Lopez' ability to up her defense. They also feared her inability to score at the D1 level. She has proven the nay sayers wrong. She can score at the D1 level and rise to the level at defense. She'll prove by the end of the season that she is an all star, even at this level. She has the 'will' to win. And the experience....

Reaction Score
Many on the BY underestimated Lou Lopez' ability to up her defense. They also feared her inability to score at the D1 level. She has proven the nay sayers wrong. She can score at the D1 level and rise to the level at defense. She'll prove by the end of the season that she is an all star, even at this level. She has the 'will' to win. And the experience....
Never saw her before, so she certainly surprised me but not as much because I was taking Geno's word for it...though he was talking mostly on offense. She certainly works hard on defense but needs a bit more control to avoid hard contacts. I wouldn't consider her a weak link because she is holding her own well enough but there is room to improve based on her "athleticism".

Reaction Score
I agree with the OP. Azzi is so unselfish, just like Paige. We haven't seen a healthy version of Paige and Azzi on the floor yet, but when we do I think it's perfect. Put two unselfish, superstar guards in the backcourt and force them to make each other shoot. No matter who shoots, we all win.

Although there's no way Nika is going to the bench after this season so there's going to be superior guard options next year

Reaction Score
My way-too-early picks would be:
Nika, Azzi, Paige, Caroline, Aaliyah
Hahahahaha!!! A prediction prompt! You’ve made my morning. Nothing I like better than indulging my imagination about how great this team will be. Well , except for watching them beat ND… and everyone else.

I like your thinking — that lineup will be another great transition team. And the rotation will bring Aubrey Ice and Ayanna in for big minutes. No one will need to play more than 25 mins. With Inês KK Jana Ashlynn and Q available, minutes will be hard to come by, and the youngsters will get to see up close what an NC run looks like. This is how the next streak of NCs begins.

Sadly, I think, this season is also likely to be Amari’s last window to carve out a place for herself in the regular rotation, and it may be closing fast. Once Jana and Ice are in place, the competition will be intense and she may find herself 5th on the depth chart as a junior. I hope she feels the pressure and is inspired by it.

Reaction Score
A little sad it took Dorka’s injury to show how much progress Aaliyah has made. Certainly, the need for her to do so was imperative and happy to see she delivered, then some……to me, none more significant than showing a correction on a defensive switch (after an error) and defended Clark so well to cause a charge (Clark reaching the peak of her frustration from seeing blue in her face throughout the 2nd half)……and great post defense, that jumper from the elbow - money!

Azzi and Paige share a trait, unsefish: they have to be told to take over before they do it. I suspect the coaches will get on her for that but her teammates will, too.

Nika is going to hear it from the Coach: when her teammates are not moving, go on the offense yourself…..drive to the basket or whatever.

Happy to see Aubrey playing really well. She should lose the hesitation when shooting from distance. She’s going to hear it from her coaches and teammates. If she continues this trend they have a good chance to reach another FF, as long as

Caroline continues her recovery. Good to see her rounding into form in the second half against Iowa.

I am not sure the Coaches expected Lou to be this good…..hope she continues the trend and gets better, still, on the defensive side.

As Paige said, Nika has always been like this and she is showing it more. At some point, she should show a bit more of her offense, too.

The broken thumb interrupted Dorka’s progress in team play…..I still think that despite not being strong enough to body up to Boston last year, she could have made a difference in that title game with her shooting.

Ayanna is getting more controlled…..she could be a force in the boards come March.

Nika is something else. Relatively safe lead towards the end of the game against Iowa, dribbles backing up to Marshall and then bumps her with her tush…..in an otherwise pressure-free moment. Sending a message? Or simply can’t help it.

Decision-making and movement on offense not yet consistently smooth, especially against the zone, though promising in moments. But defense has started out really good.

I feel sad, in a way…..Paige and Azzi came to UConn to play together. They haven’t had a chance when both are fully healthy. Will next year be the only time? With Azzi playing like this, they would have been a terror to opposing teams and I would have bet on them against South Carolina (even with that front court of theirs, though I might have felt better with Ice progressing through the season much like Ayanna).
Great synopsis, BlueSkyGLW! Thanks.

One tiny edit to suggest. Appears that Ayanna IS a 'force on the boards' with 17+ rebounds/40 minutes and half of those offensive. Also she is notably cool at the foul line (5/6) for a freshman getting limited playing time.

Reaction Score
I admit I was in this camp, if only because of how we view star players from other mid major teams playing against UConn. Its one thing to put up big numbers against middling competition, its another to do it against one of the top schedules in the nation. I'm super pleased to be proven wrong. As long as Azzi is on the floor, Lou won't be the focus on defense and she's proven she'll score, regardless. Great to see.

Reaction Score
This team, and no team really, has anyone like Paige, and we can't just replace her with Lou's points, Nika's assists, and Azzi's deep ball.
This is very true, bu-u-ut...

We can win it all without Paige, too. It will simply be way more fun, and satisfying, with her.

With Paige (and Ice) we have an answer to every contingency on the floor. Without her, we need other super-talented kids to push their envelope a little bit more.

Reaction Score
I’ll be honest, my expectations for this years team were lower than all of the other years. I’ve been pleasantly surprised. I did not think Lou would be a main role player. In fact I thought she would get maybe 10 minutes a game. Lou has quickly become my favorite player and the most interesting to see how she performs each game. I’m a big fan! Aubrey had spots of brilliance her freshman year but after not playing and having a major back surgery, I questioned if she would see much time or if she would be able to contribute. I’m happy to see her freakish athletic ability on display. I knew Azzi was good but not this good. And Aaliyah, holy cow has she been incredible! I think her play is the most important factor in determining if UConn wins the natty. I was surprised to see caroline hit 3-6 (I think?) 3s in the last game. Her shooting hasn’t been great but that could be blamed on her head injury from last year and neck stiffness this year. I do feel she’s more of a wing forward than a big guard. Her drives and cuts to the hoop are magnificent and remind me of napheesa a bit.

Reaction Score

I agree on much of what you say. It shall be a great day when Azzi and Paige run the floor together. However, the shooting talent this team has right now warms the inside of my basketball heart. Lou took some time to adjust to the prime time big time stage away from home, but she did and made up for the slow start.
Edwards since her first game at Uconn has been progressing and progressing. Her BBIQ is expanding. She is no longer (as Patterson is now) the bull in a china shop she is a Basketball player. The point here is: Ayanna, too shall progress and progress.
Caroline is about to give Geno and Christine a huge (wonderful) problem---start her, play her 35 minutes, or have her come off the bench. The second half of Iowa game showed a Caroline being.
Caroline .
The way this season started, and last season ended, with injuries, this TOP GUN shooting team is a joy for old (and new) UCWBB fans to watch.

Reaction Score
The chat during the Iowa game got trolled, and we ignored him (him?) successfully. This is what works. And, as my grandfather would say, "The best revenge is living well," or in this case, watching our favorite team live up to expectations, or as I like to say, "Flex their muscles."

Reaction Score
This is very true, bu-u-ut...

We can win it all without Paige, too. It will simply be way more fun, and satisfying, with her.

With Paige (and Ice) we have an answer to every contingency on the floor. Without her, we need other super-talented kids to push their envelope a little bit more.
Paige is a super talent, Azzi is a super talent neither is a clone of the other. Each alone is a joy to behold on the BB floor. Each has talents that are weak in the other. Azzi, needs more prodding to take over a game --but when the game seems slipping away, it is Azzi who rights the UConn Basketball ship. Lou, Edwards, Nika, Caroline, Ayanna, et al create a team I never expected to see at this point in the season.

I don't wear myself out hoping DT or Sue or Swin or Stewie shows up in a game to win it for me NOW. They are not available. What Uconn can put on the court right now has to make those mentioned proud to have worn the Uconn colors. Paige will be wonderful to see playing again, until them--what a super wonderful team have WE.

Reaction Score
Just for fun…anyone wanna predict the 2023-24 starting lineup?

My way-too-early picks would be:
Nika, Azzi, Paige, Caroline, Aaliyah
Splash Sisters Three! Steph Curry is going to go nuts talking about Azzi and Paige.

A bit iffy rebounding against the bigger teams but, hey! I would like to see these gunslingers on the court together!

Reaction Score
Great synopsis, BlueSkyGLW! Thanks.

One tiny edit to suggest. Appears that Ayanna IS a 'force on the boards' with 17+ rebounds/40 minutes and half of those offensive. Also she is notably cool at the foul line (5/6) for a freshman getting limited playing time.
True but you ain't seen nothing yet (that's what I was thinking).....would like to see that against those big girls they meet later in the year, though Czinano is BIG.

Reaction Score
This team, and no team really, has anyone like Paige, and we can't just replace her with Lou's points, Nika's assists, and Azzi's deep ball.
That's why it is so sad that she and Azzi have not been able to play together much when fully healthy.

Reaction Score
My Random Thoughts After 5 Games:

1. I'm very pleasantly surprised at the 5-0 start
2. I knew the ladies were going to be good, but honestly, I didn't think this good. this soon
3. If UConn continues to integrate the freshman into the rotation and gets Dorka back ...look out
4. I had a feeling that Aubrey would show out when healthy and she has not disappointed
5. A healthy Azzi is as good as anyone in the country

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's why it is so sad that she and Azzi have not been able to play together much when fully healthy.
I hope she decides to stay two more years through Azzi's graduation. Would love for Nika and Aaliyah to do the same because I think that core plus Caroline would be quite the team for the next couple of years if they stayed together and healthy.

Reaction Score
I hope she decides to stay two more years through Azzi's graduation. Would love for Nika and Aaliyah to do the same because I think that core plus Caroline would be quite the team for the next couple of years if they stayed together and healthy.
She and Azzi are making so much NIL money (more than WNBA salary scale) that it is possible. The only thing I can think of getting in the way is how to make it work with a chance to go to the Olympics. I think she will definitely be invited, as will Caitlin Clark.....maybe Azzi, too?....though not all are likely to make the team......USA is awash with more experienced guards at the moment, even with Diana and Sue gone by then.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Edwards a huge surprise. IMO if she keeps it up shes a first team AA. Now we have a healthy Azzi if she keeps it up shes NPOY. Lou we were told by Geno she can shoot and shes better then I thought. Nika the floor General. She is the key that runs the team. Aubrey has been huge and the big surprises from her is she can go long minutes, plays stifling defense and has a really good shot. Caroline after the Iowa game looks to be back and just in time for the second half of our Murders Row Schedule. Patterson is a beast that will become under control very shortly. She has tremendous athletic ability.

This team can do alot of things individually and as a team. Just think we havent peaked yet either. The best is yet to come. We are really good and our ability to shoot from the outside will only open things up. We are really really good in so many ways.

Reaction Score
I'd like to take a 'way too early' crack at next years starting five. It is such a joy to contemplate. My five are: Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah, Jana and Caroline or Ayanna. Jana is going to be the next Breanna Stewart, mark my word. What about Nika, KK and Ashlynn Shade, Aubrey, Ice, Qadence. We'll have two starting 5 potential Natty Champs!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom