Random thoughts after three games | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Random thoughts after three games

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I was hoping I imagined her having some difficulty with her leg. Hopefully the trainer/medical staff will set things right. Her movement was not always smooth.
:facepalm:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Well, yes, the assists:field goal ratio is down, so that doesn't seem good. But wouldn't you rather have 97 field goals than 78?? Heck, I'd take 200 field goals with no assists!
Sure. I'm just making the point that the added field goals are more the result of UConn's defensive prowess than its offensive proficiency and like most greedy Bone Yard posters, I want both.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It appears Kia has increased her vertical leap from two to three inches. She even made a layup.
Don't hate me. Geno mocks her for the same things.
Uhm...that would be a 50% in her vertical. I'm still gonna hate on you for hatin on her! :cool:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
So ...
1. It is always very difficult to remember what 'last year's team' looked like in November, because one's memories are clouded by what they did in December, January, Feb, March and April. And looking at stats is never an equal comparison because the opponents are different (even if they happen to wear the same jerseys.) Uconn in November 2016 was not all that impressive, especially in their first game when they survived a shot for the win at FSU.

2. This year in particular statistics are misleading because while they have played three ranked teams they have all been blow-outs that have seen starters sitting on the bench for most of the second half. Last year the first two games - FSU and Baylor were not blow-outs and the starters were playing until the final whistle.

3. I suspect the offensive rebounding and the steals and transition baskets this year are better than last year - put backs and break-aways do not lead to assists. I also suspect there have been more foul shots this year - shooting fouls that are not +1s also negate possible assists in US score keeping.

4. That said, that they have a better assist/TO this year than last is pretty interesting. That the assist percentage on made baskets is lower this year isn't that surprising - Lou for example has driven to the basket more in her first 2.5 games than she has in her first two years and Danger is much more likely to do so than Chong was last year. And Danger through three games is shooting more (and scoring more) than Chong and she is not often doing it as a spot up shooter but is creating for herself.

5. The team half court offense is certainly not that smooth yet and Geno has said he hasn't worked on it much. The thing I notice is their zone offense is pretty poor at the moment - no one is occupying the two prime spots for zone offense: the short corner, and the top of the key. And when they do, they are seldom getting the ball.

6. Agree that Napheesa has started the year a little slower than one might have expected but I am not worried. Each year brings a new adjustment period as the team reintegrates with the new players and new skills worked on in the off season. I expect she will have a break-out game soon.
Good analysis.

I think points 5 and 6 are related. Pheesa had better shot opportunities with Gabby back screening from the top of the key.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Way too many turnovers.

That kind of sloppy and sometimes out of control play can do a team in in March.

Sometimes you gotta be selfish within 10 feet of the basket. Too many late passes that probably should be drives or pull ups.

But man, there’s not a lot to complain about. The speed they’re playing at. Forcing tempo. Geno seems to have certainly learned something as well. He’s letting them Go go go.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
It appears Kia has increased her vertical leap from two to three inches. She even made a layup.

Don't hate me. Geno mocks her for the same things.

Balderdash.

Her vertical has at least doubled --

-- to 4 inches. :p

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You miss the point, Victor. Through three games last season it was 52 assists on 78 field goals. This season it's 55 assists on 97 field goals. After three games, UConn's offense is not as fluid, cohesive or effective as it was last season.
There are an awful lot of fast break baskets in the offense that seems geared towards a faster pace.

Reaction Score
1. As others have said too many turnovers right now. I’m sure that will be cleaned up. The number of turnovers during the Maryland game was ridiculous.
2. I also noticed the last couple of teams pressuring late at the end of games when our subs were in and the game was out of hand. I just shake my head. I guess they got to get that defeat margin down.
3. The deal with Lexi...I don’t know. I heard/read different things from her being in Geno’s doghouse due to her not being properly condition to effort issues. Who knows. Hopefully her minutes will increase as time goes on.
4. Also with regards to the All Access episode I’m glad to see CD took the Miss ST lost hard/personal. She stated that game was her scout. Just more fuel in the fire all around for this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom