Random thoughts after three games | The Boneyard

Random thoughts after three games

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Trying not to repeat what others have said...

1. Gabby is a terrific post defender. She might be better on the perimeter.

2. Did anybody expect Phee to shoot 69% again this year. It is still realistic for her to shoot 55 -60. Sounds good to me. It would be ok with me if she did the low post work she did last year and let Z do the perimeter stuff.

3. The overall lower shooting percentage doesn't bother me as much as some. The shot selection and unselfishness is still stuff that most coaches dream of.

4. Kia's release on her jumper seems quicker. I think she is getting her feet faster.

5. I know Geno is not thrilled with AEH's defense but her stroke is pure.

6. If you haven't yet watched All-Access or the newest Geno show, make time to do so. All my questions about playing time got answered. Plus, Chris Dailey is amazing. She actually is taking some ownership in the MSU loss. I am convinced that if she allowed herself to do so, she would have been really successful as a head coach.

7. I found it interesting that both Cal and Maryland pressed after the outcome was no longer in doubt. Both wanted a smaller loss margin. I love how Geno just let them work through it.

8. I was really happy to see Batouly in uniform. I knew she would not play but it must mean she is getting close.

9. The passing is obviously below Husky standards. Some of it is their increased emphasis on pushing the ball. The other stuff is fixable but no less surprising.

10. I am not on the Mikayla bandwagon YET. Confidence is not matching the talent. She has to be patient because there is playing time for her. No matter what Geno says.

11. Would love to know why the playing time gap between Lexi and the others is fairly wide. Seemingly been that way since Italy.

12. Among other things, UConn goes to their left better than any team in America.

Reaction Score
Great points. Re: #3, I'm one of those who is bothered, and it's not about numbers. It's the overall impression that more scores are happening without the traditional UConn way of getting everyone to touch the ball. I have not looked, but I'd bet that the percentage of assisted field goals is down this year compared to the last few years, possibly significantly. I could be proved wrong, but it seems the players are more inclined to drive to the basket or maybe make one pass before another player shoots from outside. Just an impression.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Good question. So I looked it up. After three games last year, 52 assists and 48 turnovers. This year 55 assists and 46 turnovers. About the same. Crystal did not have TOs until today. Gabby's struggles with TOs throws the number out of whack. Don't get me wrong, I don' disagree, I just think the TOs will drop and the assists increase when more layups get made.

Geno thought that today, at least, some were too unselfish

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There was a moment today that Pheesa was caught out rubbing her upper thigh.
I think she is some minor discomfort and it's effecting her game.

She seems to also be enjoying it less...can't believe its a drop off in skills.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Good question. So I looked it up. After three games last year, 52 assists and 48 turnovers. This year 55 assists and 46 turnovers. About the same. Crystal did not have TOs until today. Gabby's struggles with TOs throws the number out of whack. Don't get me wrong, I don' disagree, I just think the TOs will drop and the assists increase when more layups get made.

Geno thought that today, at least, some were too unselfish
You miss the point, Victor. Through three games last season it was 52 assists on 78 field goals. This season it's 55 assists on 97 field goals. After three games, UConn's offense is not as fluid, cohesive or effective as it was last season.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
How does the defense compare to last year? They've given up some points in the 2nd halves of games, but the first half D has been stifling. In 3 games they've forced 22, 29 and 20 TO's. That's a bunch.

Reaction Score
You miss the point, Victor. Through three games last season it was 52 assists on 78 field goals. This season it's 55 assists on 97 field goals. After three games, UConn's offense is not as fluid, cohesive or effective as it was last season.
And Geno has said the half court offense is not where he wants it to be...and I believe he said it was "behind where it was last year." Is the defense creating offense partly to blame? Seems we've had a lot of steals leading to break aways and layups. I have confidence Geno and staff will smooth these things out. It's only game 3, and a big change in the line up just occurred. Players are meshing, and oh...by the way,.... they are still winning in clear and convincing fashion against "ranked" teams. Should be a good contest vs UCLA on Tuesday,...and I'm still expecting a UCONN victory. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
How does the defense compare to last year? They've given up some points in the 2nd halves of games, but the first half D has been stifling. In 3 games they've forced 22, 29 and 20 TO's. That's a bunch.
The freshmen are playing nearly the entire last quarter of the games. Like Geno said in the post-game, the freshmen gave up more points in the 4th quarter than the starters did in the first half.

Reaction Score
Didn't after one of the first 2 games Geno say that something had been bothering Pheesa for a few months now? Like a foot or such?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I think we can all agree that the offense does not look as fluid as last season at this time. Roles have changed and the adjustment to those changed roles have not been completed. With Lou being out, its even more change. Geno is aware so we all known that it will be worked on.

Two pluses to these changes - Crystal is clearly in charge as the point guard. She is the little general of the monster. Crystal's emergence has allowed Kia to roam more and look for her shot. She has not disappointed. I think Kia is also the one player most teams seem to ignore. They are more concerned with Pheesa, Gabby, Lou and now Z. Goes back to our opponents having to pick their poison!

Defense is definitely ahead of the offense. Rebounding exploded against Maryland. The amount of turnovers forced have got to drive opposing coaches nutz! I expect this will continue.

And one more point which may address the assist issue. This team seems to love to run and fastbreak. And they are darn good at it. The fastbreak is a devastating weapon in our arsenal.

Reaction Score
Well, yes, the assists:field goal ratio is down, so that doesn't seem good. But wouldn't you rather have 97 field goals than 78?? Heck, I'd take 200 field goals with no assists!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
There was a moment today that Pheesa was caught out rubbing her upper thigh.
I think she is some minor discomfort and it's effecting her game.

She seems to also be enjoying it less...can't believe its a drop off in skills.

I was hoping I imagined her having some difficulty with her leg. Hopefully the trainer/medical staff will set things right. Her movement was not always smooth.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

Geno has said the team's offense is not where it needs to be. The defense is well ahead of the offense. As good as she is Z is still working her way into the offense. And of course the others are figuring out how to play with her. As good as she is, Danger is a new element whose game differs from Chong's game. They are all very smart and will figure it out. You are right it "is not as fluid, cohesive or effective as it was last season." Although I suspect Stanford, Cal, and Maryland don't want to hear this. :D

Reaction Score
Yes, she tweaked her foot in Italy. "Nagging" injury. Looked pretty good today tho...
6-14 shooting is not so bad if it all threes, but she missed a bunch of layups, may have had 20+ points instead of 13

Reaction Score
I am no expert and I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night but from my perspective it looks like the team is forcing things in the half court offense instead of "letting the game come to them." Impatience. That lead to a lot of the turnovers I saw yesterday.

Maybe the mission to erase the disappointment of last year is actually counter productive at this point. I think they need to relax, play, and have fun. The problems in the half court offense will take care of themselves.

As for the freshmen, to my eyes they are still in high school mode and have yet to grasp the athleticism of the college athletes they are playing against. Once they realize how quick and long the opponents are they will get better. Those lazy telegraphed passes that they could get away with in high school aren't going to cut it in the college game. They will get there.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So ...
1. It is always very difficult to remember what 'last year's team' looked like in November, because one's memories are clouded by what they did in December, January, Feb, March and April. And looking at stats is never an equal comparison because the opponents are different (even if they happen to wear the same jerseys.) Uconn in November 2016 was not all that impressive, especially in their first game when they survived a shot for the win at FSU.

2. This year in particular statistics are misleading because while they have played three ranked teams they have all been blow-outs that have seen starters sitting on the bench for most of the second half. Last year the first two games - FSU and Baylor were not blow-outs and the starters were playing until the final whistle.

3. I suspect the offensive rebounding and the steals and transition baskets this year are better than last year - put backs and break-aways do not lead to assists. I also suspect there have been more foul shots this year - shooting fouls that are not +1s also negate possible assists in US score keeping.

4. That said, that they have a better assist/TO this year than last is pretty interesting. That the assist percentage on made baskets is lower this year isn't that surprising - Lou for example has driven to the basket more in her first 2.5 games than she has in her first two years and Danger is much more likely to do so than Chong was last year. And Danger through three games is shooting more (and scoring more) than Chong and she is not often doing it as a spot up shooter but is creating for herself.

5. The team half court offense is certainly not that smooth yet and Geno has said he hasn't worked on it much. The thing I notice is their zone offense is pretty poor at the moment - no one is occupying the two prime spots for zone offense: the short corner, and the top of the key. And when they do, they are seldom getting the ball.

6. Agree that Napheesa has started the year a little slower than one might have expected but I am not worried. Each year brings a new adjustment period as the team reintegrates with the new players and new skills worked on in the off season. I expect she will have a break-out game soon.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Re: Pheesa, yesterday she finally had a couple of those plays when she gets a pass down low and you wonder how she has nobody within six feet of her. I rewound one a few times, showed my wife how she split two defenders, curled around Z, and cut hard to the basket, where Crystal put a perfect bullet pass. I think, in addition to the nagging injury, her early “struggles” are due to new roles on the team. Gabby is more on the perimeter and Z is more in the high post. How many chippies did Pheesa get last year from passes from Gabby in the high post? I think once they work more together, there will be a few every game from Z to Pheesa.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Napheesa doesn't quite look like the same player this year, at least in the post. Not sure if it's a nagging injury as others have said or just what. OTOH she still moves beautifully on cuts through the lane. So fast and so smooth, all while looking effortless. 2-3 strides and she has covered the entire lane. Still shooting her longer jumper pretty well, though, and her defense is still very solid. Her hands are always in the right place.
It may be that opponents are sending more help when she gets the ball with her back to the basket -- I haven't rewatched any of the games to look for those kinds of things. Haven't even been able to catch all of the games live yet! Thank God for replay.

Lou seems like an upgraded version of last-year's Lou on defense, and even somewhat upgraded on offense as far as less hesitation, more aggressiveness, etc. Sure hope she is back to 100% soon. She just looks amazing at both ends.

Gabby is also upgraded from last year: even more disruptive on defense - a one-woman wrecking ball, basically - and more attacking on the offensive end. Same motor, just mated to an even more efficient transmission, with quicker shifts.

Crystal is a different player! Love the swag and confidence she carries. Geno raves about her conditioning. She will put all of that to good use against Jordin Canada and UCLA . . . .

Azura is improving game by game , even half by half. First half against MD she seemed a bit reserved, feet not as active. Later, after Geno yakked at her on the bench for a bit, I noticed newfound aggressiveness and much less hesitation on several plays, with feet much more active. CD/Marisa/Geno will keep pushing her and the results will get even better as we go along. Still work to do between her ears, as Geno says.

Megan is actually impressing me a lot. She just gets in the thick of it and makes plays - sometimes little things, but she makes plays. Against MD at one point, their zone was making us look static -- Megan checked in and promptly attacked with the ball from the left baseline. As she improves her finishing skills, she will be a nightmare. The mentality to do damage is already there, which is a priceless thing. She just makes little plays everywhere, though. Defensive side, on the glass, everywhere.

Not that many early-season freshman have the confidence to attack the defense with the ball in Geno's system. Most players - particularly freshmen - will look to pass or otherwise defer to teammates. Obviously UCONN's offense is based on movement and passing but there is always a place for attacking with the ball in the right spots, particularly against the zone. Crystal is good at it and needs to do it more - Megan shows great promise too.

Andi can play a little bit. I think she will surprise some people before her 4 years are up.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I just wanted to add something regarding the perceived lack of assists. I agree that they will increase throughout the course of the season but consider this...

With a healthy Lou, Geno really does have 7 deep, and the 7 are more athletic than last year's "7" (Danger and Butler off the bench), and better defensively. This allows for more pressing, and more risks on defense to get steals. Often times when we get a steal, it's a straight line layup to the basket with no assist.

The other assist killer are the missed bunnies. Napheesa, Azura, and to a lesser extent Gabby, have all been guilty of it. It pads their rebound numbers, but messes with the assist numbers.

BUT... it really just is perception - the numbers are close...

Great research by @victor64 to point out that our assists thru 3 games compared to last season are up by 3, and TO's down by 2. Having said that, those numbers should be even better as our first 3 games this season were won by a combined 85 points vs. the more competitive start to last season where we only won the 1st 3 games by a combined 36 points.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Azura is improving game by game , even half by half. First half against MD she seemed a bit reserved, feet not as active. Later, after Geno yakked at her on the bench for a bit, I noticed newfound aggressiveness and much less hesitation on several plays, with feet much more active. CD/Marisa/Geno will keep pushing her and the results will get even better as we go along. Still work to do between her ears, as Geno says.

Andi can play a little bit. I think she will surprise some people before her 4 years are up.

Azura didn't play close to the basket on offense much at Duke. As you said, she's making rapid progress, and I'm hopeful that she'll be fully incorporated into the system by mid-season. I think Geno and the team still have a lot to work out finding the right formula to utilize her. It's a blessing and challenge at the same time having three players who are all so good both inside and out. Four since Lou seems to be incorporating an inside game more and more this year.

I think more coaches will be looking at Ossining products. That coach (I know he only had Andra for a year or two) has given us a couple of special players. I think Andi has a very high ceiling.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom