Ramona Shelburne weighs into Parker-Auriemma | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Ramona Shelburne weighs into Parker-Auriemma

Reaction Score
Hey, c'mon, at least have your comments make sense! You supposedly have no problem with her turning down the invitation, but disliked her posted reason for doing so ... even though that reason couldn't have been more obvious and/or understood! Where Parker went to school has absolutely nothing to do with her talent. It should also not have been (if it was?) a reason why she was left off the team. Your snip at TN and Parker for selecting that school demonstrates your lack of BB knowledge. Have you forgotten that Parker led TN (a highly respected program) to two (2) consecutive national championships, and was a two-time consensus national player of the year while there? She was blatantly snubbed and it was one of the most outrageous bonehead decisions ever made in the selection of a USA team. All those involved should have been held accountable and banned from any further selection process.
Bonehead would lead one to believe it cost the US a gold medal I didn't miss her at all.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Just how old do you think I am? I don't want to waste my remaining years waiting for "parity" between UCONN and TN in WCBB. :p
Yea, I don't see that in my lifetime either.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Come on Candace, you went to TN, how hard do you think it is to fool you?

Where Parker went to school has absolutely nothing to do with her talent.

15cs23.jpg

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
You get extra credit for doing the research but the original post was talking exclusively about the "Olympics" as mentioned three different times in the post.

Yes and as I said I went by memory..... perhaps it was that i was never a great Boozer fan.... and he always made the teams..... i know Laettner was on the 92 dream team... but it was a requirement i think that one college player be named to the team so didn't have a problem with that one.... perhaps i should back off on Coach k.... after all i really do like him.... much i like parker as well

@CocoHusky, in my defense, I like to be thorough (as anyone who has ever read any post of mine containing an sort of team analysis can attest, as my posts tend to be long enough to have chapters and indexes). LOL

I also thought it would illuminate the differences in the men's game vs. the women's game. There were so many (big majority) Olympians who did not play on some of the World Championship teams. I am not disparaging them. First, USA Basketball is a huge commitment, and I am honored to have them represent my country. Second, with the grind of the NBA schedule (82 games), plus the playoffs, I can understand only playing for USA Basketball once every four years, as opposed to once every two years (and it also provided opportunities to develop other players in the USA Basketball system).

Third, it also highlighted what an amazing job Coach K did. People (not anyone on the Boneyard; speaking in the general sense) criticized Coach K and demeaned his accomplishments, commenting that he *should* win since he had the best players. First of all, this is not true. The gap between the US and the rest of the world in men's basketball is MUCH different than in women's basketball.

@Bayareahusky, to follow up on your point about Coach K (and for some background information), he was hired because Team USA finished SIXTH. The team won a bronze medal at the 2004 Olympics (under Larry Brown and his assistant Roy Williams, both UNC guys...sorry, could not resist).

After Coach K took Duke to the bronze medal at the 2006 WC, the team won gold medals at the 2008 Olympics, 2010 World Championships (played in Turkey, the home country of the silver medalists), 2012 Olympics, 2014 World Championships (played in Spain, the home country of the 2008 and 2012 Olympic silver medalist), and 2016 Olympics.

Coach K went 88-1 as Head Coach of Team USA (2006-2016) - and that last loss was in 2006.

But going back to the original point (and what @CocoHusky reminded me regarding the previous posts in this thread), Coach K had two Duke players on three Olympic teams - Carlos Boozer in 2008 (Boozer was All-NBA when he was selected) and Kyrie Irving in 2006 (Irving was All-NBA and the 2014 WC MVP when he was selected). Hard to argue that there is any Duke bias there.

Reaction Score
Hey, c'mon, at least have your comments make sense! You supposedly have no problem with her turning down the invitation, but disliked her posted reason for doing so ... even though that reason couldn't have been more obvious and/or understood! Where Parker went to school has absolutely nothing to do with her talent. It should also not have been (if it was?) a reason why she was left off the team. Your snip at TN and Parker for selecting that school demonstrates your lack of BB knowledge. Have you forgotten that Parker led TN (a highly respected program) to two (2) consecutive national championships, and was a two-time consensus national player of the year while there? She was blatantly snubbed and it was one of the most outrageous bonehead decisions ever made in the selection of a USA team. All those involved should have been held accountable and banned from any further selection process.

I shouldn't keep looking at this thread but i find it interesting...... the things people are saying..... Oh Humble Pie... HOW RIGHT you are that Candace brought 2 championships to Tennessee, and though the Lady Vols had a decent supporting cast, it was mostly Candace... she called for the team to jump on her back and ride her to the promised land..... and it happened TIMES 2!!! Tennessee still worships the ground she walks on, and they should! She is an amazing player, has incredible resolve, and should be commended for all that she has brought the women's game. I really admire her game.... and like her grit and pure talent.

I have no knowledge of how close Candace was to going to this school or that school..... so I will stay out of the fray there......

Where I would disagree with you, and strongly, relates to Candace deserving a spot, and having that be a "no brainer"..... This is the US of A, where basketball superstars are plentiful, and the threshold beyond which the committee chose a player in lieu of her stood very low. I think of the Shania Twain song when she sings "So you're Brad Pitt. That don't impress me much"...... The USA always has a stockpile of talent

Did the committee have a vendetta against Candace? I do not think so, though obviously they did not want to stick the head coach with a player with whom the diad therein could be described as oil and milk. I know with Tennessee, the program, the issues which led to hard feelings are so 2006, .... and the personal chasm between Candace and Geno - IMHO - was not insurmountable..... I just think he did not want to expend the effort to build the bridge.

Reaction Score
@Bayareahusky, to follow up on your point about Coach K (and for some background information), he was hired because Team USA finished SIXTH. The team won a bronze medal at the 2004 Olympics (under Larry Brown and his assistant Roy Williams, both UNC guys...sorry, could not resist).

After Coach K took Duke to the bronze medal at the 2006 WC, the team won gold medals at the 2008 Olympics, 2010 World Championships (played in Turkey, the home country of the silver medalists), 2012 Olympics, 2014 World Championships (played in Spain, the home country of the 2008 and 2012 Olympic silver medalist), and 2016 Olympics.

Coach K went 88-1 as Head Coach of Team USA (2006-2016) - and that last loss was in 2006.

But going back to the original point (and what @CocoHusky reminded me regarding the previous posts in this thread), Coach K had two Duke players on three Olympic teams - Carlos Boozer in 2008 (Boozer was All-NBA when he was selected) and Kyrie Irving in 2006 (Irving was All-NBA and the 2014 WC MVP when he was selected). Hard to argue that there is any Duke bias there.[/QUOTE]

Man Oh Man - You are tuffer than a 3 dollar steak..... either it was you or our other big Dookie poster.... put forth the facts and corrected..... and I have already waved the white flag of surrender.....

Coach K is good stock

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Dear @HumblePie the "snip" was at the University of TN for masquerading as an academic institution not the exalted Lady Vols WCBB program. As you correctly point out, that Lady Vols program is a perfectly valid choice for highly talented players aspiring to lose games every year to unranked teams. #STOPLIVINENTHEPAST#!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Dear @HumblePie the "snip" was at the University of TN for masquerading as an academic institution not the exalted Lady Vols WCBB program. As you correctly point out, that Lady Vols program is a perfectly valid choice for highly talented players aspiring to lose games every year to unranked teams. #STOPLIVINENTHEPAST#!

Go get em Coco:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom