Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads) | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Rahsool Diggins transferring (merged threads)

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I think of AJax as an “ATH”, the same way they categorize football players that can play several positions and do multiple things.
Long story made short…..

Corey is not a point guard. Andre is not a point guard.

We had two point guards, mismanaged the living crap out of the roster and now we have none. We will take anything that resembles a point guard from the portal because we’re so screwed if we don’t.

Paint whatever pretty scenario helps you self-soothe over this debacle, but that’s where we’re at. We have zero point guards here or coming in and we’re a buyer in a seller’s market.
Exactly

Reaction Score
What did he say that was inaccurate? What if we don‘t improve at that position? Until we get a PG better than Gaffney and Diggins we are in a huge hole.
He is painting an inaccurate picture about our opportunities in the portal. It will literally be impossible to not upgrade from those two. Also, I'm not sure how we "mismanaged" them. Are we supposed to just play bad players for the hell of it? The only valid complaint here is that they did a terrible job evaluating those two, not for letting them leave.

Reaction Score
What did he say that was inaccurate? What if we don‘t improve at that position? Until we get a PG better than Gaffney and Diggins we are in a huge hole.
He's wrong about the fact that we mismanaged them, wrong about the fact that we'll take anything resembling a PG, wrong about the fact that this is a seller's market. But other than that nothing

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
If we had gone into next season with Gaffney and Sool as our only two point guards, we'd have been screwed as well. We had two point guards who couldn't run the point. Not hugely helpful.
I'm not sure we actually know that the sophomore Diggins wouldn't be able to run the point. We know that as a freshman he didn't get any PT except garbage time with walk-ons.* Gaffney? Stronger argument, he had many more opportunities to show it in game situations.

*I mean, it's not like no player has ever improved significantly with growth, strength and maturity between freshman and sophomore years.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure we actually know that the sophomore Diggins wouldn't be able to run the point. We know that as a freshman he didn't get any PT except garbage time with walk-ons.* Gaffney? Stronger argument, he had many more opportunities to show it in game situations.

*I mean, it's not like no player has ever improved significantly with growth, strength and maturity between freshman and sophomore years.
I think it is pretty obvious by the way Hurley spoke about him and the list of schools recruiting him now that he was not a viable option at point next year.

Reaction Score

Possibly, but what we know now is that Sool was clearly outplayed significantly by Gaffney in practice, who himself was terrible in games and in Sool's very limited minutes, he looked completely lost and couldn't even bring the ball up the court. There's always a chance he could have been a starting-caliber player next year but that feels incredibly unlikely given what we saw, and it's not too much of a stretch to assume that Hurley let him know the likelihood of him seeing significant minutes next year was not great.

I won't discount the chance that Sool can turn into a solid player before his college career is over, but if the argument is that we would have been appreciably better off than we are now with giving Gaffney/Sool starter's minutes at the point this upcoming season, that's a horrible argument.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Long story made short…..

We had two point guards, mismanaged the living crap out of the roster and now we have none. We will take anything that resembles a point guard from the portal because we’re so screwed if we don’t.

Paint whatever pretty scenario helps you self-soothe over this debacle, but that’s where we’re at. We have zero point guards here or coming in and we’re a buyer in a seller’s market.

There are over 1000 athletes in the portal, I wouldn't call this a seller's market.

Reaction Score
How many of those athletes are capable of competing in a power 5 level conference? Then take out all those athletes that aren't point guards....you end up with a small sample...thus it ain't a buyers dream.
We’re UConn. We’re apart of the millionaires club shopping in Walmart right now. We should have no problem getting what we want in this type of transfer portal

Reaction Score
So when we get a PG better than Gaffney and Diggins what will you whine about next?

He’ll probably say “I told you so” when Diggins carves out a nice role for himself coming off the bench for some A-10 team next year.

Reaction Score
with his offer sheet, i bet sool woke up one day, with kansas the champ and nova recently also, and thought 'what am i doing here? with all the splinters i got, at least if i was pining away at kansas, i could have had some nice hardware. i gotta be better than this. im out.'
anyone else notice that when danny was doing his talk last week, he was talking about jalen in the present tense, yet coterminus ('having the same boundaries or extent in space, time, or meaning') with danny's talk, or shortly thereafter, jalen announced his sayonara.
lots of weird guard stuff going down.
Yeah, because Diggins would have gotten more PT at Villanova and Kansas right? And he clearly was not taken by Nova (or Kansas) as a guard that was going to be a year-1 contributor (just like here at UConn). Just because someone gets an offer it doesn't mean that they're being brought in to be a top of the rotation guy early on. I think UConn actually brought him in as early-on insurance with the upside of being an upperclassmen contributer.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We’re UConn. We’re apart of the millionaires club shopping in Walmart right now. We should have no problem getting what we want in this type of transfer portal
Eh. Maybe. I don't think Hurley wanted to lose both those guys. Maybe one or the other. Fishy's right about that. Bringing in a lead PG is one thing. Bringing in a backup? Good luck on that guy being as good as Gaffney. Almost certainly needs to be a low level guy who doesn't mind less playing time. Castle is coming in, there is no pitch that you're going to become the starter in future years.

Playing time is a key factor for these transfers, and we have some, but not enough for two very good PGs. I think we can pitch time at the wing, but not a starting spot there either.

Reaction Score
Eh. Maybe. I don't think Hurley wanted to lose both those guys. Maybe one or the other. Fishy's right about that. Bringing in a lead PG is one thing. Bringing in a backup? Good luck on that guy being as good as Gaffney. Almost certainly needs to be a low level guy who doesn't mind less playing time. Castle is coming in, there is no pitch that you're going to become the starter in future years.

Playing time is a key factor for these transfers, and we have some, but not enough for two very good PGs. I think we can pitch time at the wing, but not a starting spot there either.
Except by all reports Floyd and Jackson can spilt that back up pg duty. Or we bring in multiple “ball handlers/shot creators” who have now heard Hurley say he wants to play 4 out. There are plenty of minutes for 2 top guards. I could absolutely sell Ramsey and Newton, or one of the 2 and the kid from Belmont(which is probably the better mix of players).

Also look at Arkansas. Good players want to play with good players. They care about playing time more than starting

Reaction Score
Bringing in a lead PG is one thing. Bringing in a backup? Good luck on that guy being as good as Gaffney.
I appreciate all the effort that Gaffney put in here, but he was a warm body from a basketball standpoint and I think the chances of getting at least a comparable player in the portal to replace his role are much higher than you're making them out to be. I'm sure Hurley is aiming higher than that though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I think you conflate Gaffney’s potential with his actual performance. I agree, he has talent, but he sucked for us. It might be the coaches killing his confidence, it might just be Jalen’s limitations. Either way, it shouldn’t be hard to find a player that will produce more than Gaffney did for us.

Reaction Score
Not everyone is saying AJax should be a PG. Several have said he'd be a very useful point forward. At least one person mentioned Henefeld. So let's take a look at the two:

View attachment 75380

Keep in mind Henefeld's team had Tate George and Chris Smith (and Burrell) as guards and ball handlers. Yet Henefeld brought the ball up court quite often and facilitated well.

That part of AJax's game is already there. If he could dribble drive and finish a couple of times a game more than what he's doing now, they'd really be pretty similar. There's obviously a role for AJax as a key ball handler, especially against teams that apply any kind of press or backcourt defense.
all I’m saying is that he has a lot of Ben Simmons traits. size, athleticis, defending. I know sounds like a broken record, but Simmons is in the nba and not a bust. i know that Ben has better handles and is an elite defender. nothing Jackson can’t develop offseason. PF, PG who cares. If he has a any chance getting to the league, it‘s his running the floor/distributing/rebounding skills, court vision!!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are over 1000 guys in the portal. The odds of us having a net upgrade via the portal are very good. If we don't have a couple of good transfers by a month from now then I would say we are in a hole.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

The circle everyone keeps going around is UConn was screwed with Gaff and Sool.

Wrapping this up, UConn was going to be bad if the PG's next year were Sool and Gaff.

UConn will be bad if they don't get any replacements worth a damn.

It's a distinction without a difference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s like throwing out a refrigerator infested with mold…..and then complaining you don’t have a refrigerator . Yes, you no longer have the molded refrigerator , but now you have space for a brand new refrigerator. The old one, though present, wasn’t going to do much good for you. Now to Home Depot we go.

Reaction Score
Long story made short…..

What happened to you? Used to be the voice of reason. Now you complain that the guy with offers from Iona, VCU and Temple is like losing Kemba Walker. Huh!?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom