Rafael Devers | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Rafael Devers

Reaction Score
I'm so in the tank for this kid. Legit makes me feel like a kid again rooting for my favorite player.

Reaction Score
Yeah he will but not a lot. Seems like a special hitter and with power to the opposite field. May end up forcing pitchers to adjust to him, his ceiling is huge.

His bat is so fast but it feels like the good part of the wood stays in the zone forever. He caught up to 103 on a high middle in pitch and he's also very adept at hitting oppo. Not really sure where the hole in his zone could possibly be as of yet.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If Devers and Judge's early-career performances are indicative of the future, it bodes very well for the game of baseball as a whole.

Reaction Score
If Devers and Judge's early-career performances are indicative of the future, it bodes very well for the game of baseball as a whole.
And for the Red Sox - Yankee rivalry.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And for the Red Sox - Yankee rivalry.

Not so much 'hate' these days tho. Not as many polarizing players, and since the sox finally won a few, the angst/jealousy thing in gone.

Reaction Score
Not so much 'hate' these days tho. Not as many polarizing players, and since the sox finally won a few, the angst/jealousy thing in gone.

Not as many easy to hate Sox players anymore that's why. :oops:

Most have retired or are too old to care about.;)

Reaction Score
Devers has become Aaron Judge in the last week, just terrible.

These guys who explode onto the scene always get slowed down.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Devers has become Aaron Judge in the last week, just terrible.
These guys who explode onto the scene always get slowed down.

It's a week man. You didn't expect him to be Joe DiMaggio did you?

It's always the same. Guys with talent come up and rake. Pitchers adjust. Then the hitter adjusts.

Reaction Score
It's a week man. You didn't expect him to be Joe DiMaggio did you?

It's always the same. Guys with talent come up and rake. Pitchers adjust. Then the hitter adjusts.

To be fair to JSM, this is the first time a MLB player has ever gone into a slump.

Reaction Score
Slump? How do we know yet. He hasn't played enough to establish a baseline. At this point he looks awful.

Look at Judge, they sat him last night against Cluber so he wouldn't further embarrass himself.

To be fair to JSM, this is the first time a MLB player has ever gone into a slump.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Slump? How do we know yet. He hasn't played enough to establish a baseline. At this point he looks awful.

Look at Judge, they sat him last night against Cluber so he wouldn't further embarrass himself.

You probably would have permanently relegated Pedroia to the minor leagues after the way his career started. Fortunately, less reactive minds prevailed.

Only way to get through these sorts of things is time and experience.

Reaction Score
No, but I'm not a Pede fan. Vastly overrated. And we'll be stuck paying him for next 5+ years when he's spending 1/2 the season on the DL

People say he has team-friendly deal, not really when you look at his production. $12-14M is a lot for that

You probably would have permanently relegated Pedroia to the minor leagues after the way his career started. Fortunately, less reactive minds prevailed.

Only way to get through these sorts of things is time and experience.

Reaction Score
Dude, he's a total joke. He's the 4th highest paid 2nd baseman in MLB, 2nd in AL

2 of his last 3 years he won't play 100 games. He's constantly broken down or ailing something. He's at best the 8th best AL 2b now, all ahead of him and maybe others

Altuve
Cano
Kinsler
Schoop
Castro
Kipnis
Odor

Dude is a .242 hitter in PS with 5 HRs in 47 games. He's hugely overrated. I'm a Sox fan and can't stand the guy.

Agreed 2B who hit .300 and play gold glove caliber defense are a dime a dozen.
And 13 million a year probably puts him in the top 5 salaries in baseball

Reaction Score
Dude, he's a total joke. He's the 4th highest paid 2nd baseman in MLB, 2nd in AL

2 of his last 3 years he won't play 100 games. He's constantly broken down or ailing something. He's at best the 8th best AL 2b now, all ahead of him and maybe others

Altuve
Cano
Kinsler
Schoop
Castro
Kipnis
Odor

Dude is a .242 hitter in PS with 5 HRs in 47 games. He's hugely overrated. I'm a Sox fan and can't stand the guy.
Sorry, I agree with Viking. Yes, he has been injured but aside from Brooks Robinson, who hasn't been injured? He is a career .300 hitter and one of the best fielding second basemen of all time. If you can't stand Pedroia, I'm not sure who you do like. Perhaps you're a big David Price fan or Hanley Ramirez fan. I can find a lot to not like about them, but Dustin Pedroia. I would take him any day over any of those on your list.

Reaction Score
You would take Pedroia over Altuve, Cano or Schoop? That is pure lunamcy.

Sorry, I agree with Viking. Yes, he has been injured but aside from Brooks Robinson, who hasn't been injured? He is a career .300 hitter and one of the best fielding second basemen of all time. If you can't stand Pedroia, I'm not sure who you do like. Perhaps you're a big David Price fan or Hanley Ramirez fan. I can find a lot to not like about them, but Dustin Pedroia. I would take him any day over any of those on your list.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You would take Pedroia over Altuve, Cano or Schoop? That is pure lunamcy.

I didn't realize how many of those guys were hanging around waiting to play.

It's like saying you don't like kyle Lowry because you wouldn't take him over Chris Paul, Russell Westbrook, or steph curry.

Also, Pedey's leadership skills are off the charts. You probably didn't like Tek either I'm guessing.

Reaction Score

Altuve
Cano
Kinsler
Schoop
Castro
Kipnis
Odor

First, back in 2013 the guy signed a big-time team friendly deal - 8 year / 110 million. If he wanted to hit the open market he could easily have blown through that, unless you haven't been paying attention to how money is being spent in MLB recently.

Second, this year is maybe slightly above league average offensively but he is still as good defensively as any 2B in the game. There is no one who turns a DP better than Pedroia. Did you see the game last night? Hard hit ball close to Nunez that he doesn't get allowing the bases loaded in the 8th? Pedroia has made that play in his sleep his entire career. If Reed gives up a granny to lose the game last night, all anyone would be talking about is Reed, not Nunez. It's the little things that go unnoticed sometimes, but you would think that an alleged Sox fan would have realized how big Pedroia plays in the field over the years.

Third, its not his fault that Machado decided to slide 2 feet from the bag and go right into his knee. He used to have hand issues but to his credit he has stopped with the dumb slides into 1B.
If he was fully healthy this year he'd still be a top 5 or at worst a top 10 2B in the game. Don't blame him for Machado's dirty crap.

Reaction Score
First, back in 2013 the guy signed a big-time team friendly deal - 8 year / 110 million. If he wanted to hit the open market he could easily have blown through that, unless you haven't been paying attention to how money is being spent in MLB recently.

Second, this year is maybe slightly above league average offensively but he is still as good defensively as any 2B in the game. There is no one who turns a DP better than Pedroia. Did you see the game last night? Hard hit ball close to Nunez that he doesn't get allowing the bases loaded in the 8th? Pedroia has made that play in his sleep his entire career. If Reed gives up a granny to lose the game last night, all anyone would be talking about is Reed, not Nunez. It's the little things that go unnoticed sometimes, but you would think that an alleged Sox fan would have realized how big Pedroia plays in the field over the years.

Third, its not his fault that Machado decided to slide 2 feet from the bag and go right into his knee. He used to have hand issues but to his credit he has stopped with the dumb slides into 1B.
If he was fully healthy this year he'd still be a top 5 or at worst a top 10 2B in the game. Don't blame him for Machado's dirty crap.

He's excellent and could've gotten more if he wasn't loyal to the Sox. Cano always turned the DP as well and there is no denying that they are the 2 best and only bias knows other than that. I knew the play last night was on your minds but let's be honest it handcuffed almost anyone who was there - better chance than Nunez? yeah but no definite there whatsoever. And let's be honest, he hasn't been the "Laser Show" for a real long time.. Didn't stick up for Eck like he should have though either disappointing. Not a lot of .300 hitters left in baseball and he's one of them with a .301 lifetime solid player.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Kinsler and Odor over Pedroia?

No.

Then again, coming from someone who thinks Bogaerts is literally the worst SS in the AL, I'm not surprised.

You are just awful at evaluating talent. You have no analytical skills whatsoever.

Reaction Score

No.

Then again, coming from someone who thinks Bogaerts is literally the worst SS in the AL, I'm not surprised.

You are just awful at evaluating talent. You have no analytical skills whatsoever.

Odor is pretty good but not at all proven like Pedroia. Kinsler is plain awful that's not close. And Schoop is playing in a band box, but he's gotten better but again, need to see more. Castro is a really good player and fielder but he's not Pedroia either, free swinger. But now, I'd take him especially at Yankee Stadium as a hitter.

Reaction Score
Right now yes

They are stuck paying Pedroia for the next several years way over his value. He gave them a slight break for 2, maybe 3 years and they will overpay for 5-6. He won. He will be a David Wright-type in the last 2-3 years of the deal too.

Bogaerts is awful. Terrible defensive player, no power, etc. he's either the worst or in the bottom 2-3 in AL

No.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Right now yes

They are stuck paying Pedroia for the next several years way over his value. He gave them a slight break for 2, maybe 3 years and they will overpay for 5-6. He won. He will be a David Wright-type in the last 2-3 years of the deal too.

Bogaerts is awful. Terrible defensive player, no power, etc. he's either the worst or in the bottom 2-3 in AL

Tim Beckham, Alcides Escobar, Marcus Semien, Tim Anderson, Jose Iglesias, and Jorge Polanco all say hi.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Bogaerts is terrible at defense? He's 12th in the majors in UZR, barely above average but by no means terrible. Once again, what your eyes see is not in line with reality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom