Rafael Devers | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Rafael Devers

Reaction Score
The issue Zyron is not that he's been an average hitter his whole career. That doesn't really tell the value of the pickup.
The Sox offense has been at best average and depending on what statistic you look up, below average. So a versatile average hitter - if that's all he is - still has a way to be impactful.
The fact that he's been one of the hotter hitters in baseball since June 1st is exactly what the Sox needed. We don't have the prospects to get a stud hitter which is why DD did a very good job getting this guy, especially for what he gave up.
And honestly this guys swing is perfect for Fenway. I'm sure it didn't take 10 scouts to tell DD that before trading for him.

Reaction Score
Never said that and I was responding to this:
When I said slasher I was referring to my memories of him as a Yankee against us in Fenway. He would swing at every thing and pull a lot of line drives off the wall. Which is exactly what he is doing now although some are going over as well.
Is the baseball definition of slasher a guy who hits 50 jacks a year? If it is my apologies for causing this whole hornets nest with zyron, who is flinching with every Nuney line drive to left.

Reaction Score
When I said slasher I was referring to my memories of him as a Yankee against us in Fenway. He would swing at every thing and pull a lot of line drives off the wall. Which is exactly what he is doing now although some are going over as well.
Is the baseball definition of slasher a guy who hits 50 jacks a year? If it is my apologies for causing this whole hornets nest with zyron, who is flinching with every Nuney line drive to left.

Perfect Fenway hitter he really is. You may keep this guy for sure.

Reaction Score
bogaerts is an incredibly dumb player and not any good. Zero power, awful defensively

Would like to see him sit when Pede returns and move Nunez to SS
Please stick to the Cesspool where your ignorance won't be noticed as much.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm suspended for now from there

Bogaerts sucks, worst SS in AL

Tim Beckham, Alcides Escobar, Marcus Semien, Tim Anderson, Jose Iglesias, and Jorge Polanco all say hi.

Reaction Score
Tim Beckham, Alcides Escobar, Marcus Semien, Tim Anderson, Jose Iglesias, and Jorge Polanco all say hi.

No need to even go there. Bogaerts already proven .300 hitter and solid SS power not required, lots of teams would absolutely love to have him. Consider the source - hard to get thrown out of the Cesspool.

Reaction Score
It's only been about 3 weeks, but I think Devers is going to be okay. Pitchers will adjust to him and he'll have to respond with his own adjustments, but he certainly hasn't been overwhelmed by the major league experience.

Reaction Score
Devers is something else. 20 years old and he's hitting a 103 mph oppo at Yankee Stadium probably 420 feet. Who does that? Well, no one since 2008 has hit a HR on a pitch that hard.....so I guess that answers my question.

But I was just as impressed on his rocket to the warning track in the last inning on a 99mph Kahnle heater.

This kid is some kind of hitter.

Reaction Score
And I thought the Red Sox were bringing him up in desperation and it probably wasn't a good move. Shows you how much I know.;)

Reaction Score
Not really, they had no real answer at 3rd and were thin, Pede with knee issues.

He's only 20, have to believe he'll be full time 3rd base going forward

And I thought the Red Sox were bringing him up in desperation and it probably wasn't a good move. Shows you how much I know.;)

Reaction Score
Not really, they had no real answer at 3rd and were thin, Pede with knee issues.

He's only 20, have to believe he'll be full time 3rd base going forward

Ya think? Love this kid came around first after the Chapman HR and showed real emotion, didn't watch anything was running full steam and then started clapping and almost a little dance LOL. Kid can flat out hit 2 more last night. Just keep Hanley away from him he doesn't need to see how this idiot acts. What I like even more he doesn't have that muscly,fake baseball body where these kids come up and think HR's and K's are fine now. He looks like the old time baseball player, a real hitter who drives it anywhere it's pitched with HRs as an afterthought. A good one here!

Having said that the Yanks continue to be a stupid team and Joe a fairly stupid manager. For the life of me knowing the kid can hit how do you throw him fastball #3 in a row? Baseball 101 he took #1 down the middle, couldn't catch up to the 2nd one and knew that and adjusted. Now a good hitter does adjust right so what does he do, well he starts the bat even earlier. So if you throw a breaking ball of any sort on the 3rd pitch he would have buckled, best possible scenario was awful contact. Even if he fouled it off he now has to guess what is next. This was the epitome of the Yankees as of late just plain stupid managing and catching. Then again let's PH Ellsbury in that inning for Romine, knowing they will change pitchers anyway and now we lost the DH as well as now we have Sanchez, who can't catch a wild Chapman, behind the plate? Joe has lost numerous games in late inning 1 run leads and deficits with his "book binder" managing.

Reaction Score
Ya think? Love this kid came around first after the Chapman HR and showed real emotion, didn't watch anything was running full steam and then started clapping and almost a little dance LOL. Kid can flat out hit 2 more last night. Just keep Hanley away from him he doesn't need to see how this idiot acts. What I like even more he doesn't have that muscly,fake baseball body where these kids come up and think HR's and K's are fine now. He looks like the old time baseball player, a real hitter who drives it anywhere it's pitched with HRs as an afterthought. A good one here!

Having said that the Yanks continue to be a stupid team and Joe a fairly stupid manager. For the life of me knowing the kid can hit how do you throw him fastball #3 in a row? Baseball 101 he took #1 down the middle, couldn't catch up to the 2nd one and knew that and adjusted. Now a good hitter does adjust right so what does he do, well he starts the bat even earlier. So if you throw a breaking ball of any sort on the 3rd pitch he would have buckled, best possible scenario was awful contact. Even if he fouled it off he now has to guess what is next. This was the epitome of the Yankees as of late just plain stupid managing and catching. Then again let's PH Ellsbury in that inning for Romine, knowing they will change pitchers anyway and now we lost the DH as well as now we have Sanchez, who can't catch a wild Chapman, behind the plate? Joe has lost numerous games in late inning 1 run leads and deficits with his "book binder" managing.
Completely agree with your comment of not letting Hanley influence him. Pedroia needs to mentor him on how to play the game.
Not so sure I agree on the Chapman comment. In all fairness, he hadn't given up a home run all year and never to a left handed hitter. Plus he had just made Hanley look hopeless with his fastball. Sometimes you just swing hard and something good happens. Reminded me of the Vazquez home run off of Betances last year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ya think? Love this kid came around first after the Chapman HR and showed real emotion, didn't watch anything was running full steam and then started clapping and almost a little dance LOL.

Seriously, I laughed at that too. Love to see a little joy out there. Crazy that he's youngest guy in MLB. He's literally a kid.

This video cracked me up:

Reaction Score
Completely agree with your comment of not letting Hanley influence him. Pedroia needs to mentor him on how to play the game.
Not so sure I agree on the Chapman comment. In all fairness, he hadn't given up a home run all year and never to a left handed hitter. Plus he had just made Hanley look hopeless with his fastball. Sometimes you just swing hard and something good happens. Reminded me of the Vazquez home run off of Betances last year.

In all fairness though this kid is not Vasquez. He looked at 1, tried to catch up with 2 but didn't start early enough and if he's guessing #1 on the 3rd pitch he's starting early - baseball 101 he's not going to do anything with a breaking ball, no shot think about it he had to start so early on the 3rd one he had not shot on a breaking ball. Kids a good hitter, if they didn't believe it before that pitch they do now. Breaking ball strike 3 - next. Just bad situational baseball has Joe's writing all over it. No doubt even the kid was surprised with hitting it and hitting it hard but even more reason to throw an 88 breaker - buckle.

The way Pedey acted in the Price fiasco not sure about him either LOL.. nah as long as he shies away from hanley this kid will be fine. And just don't get him to dance like the others, let him be a kid.

Reaction Score
At some point Devers is going to have to make a major adjustment as pitchers figure him out. Rookies always have to adjust down the line. He seems pretty disciplined so far so hope is high.

Reaction Score
At some point Devers is going to have to make a major adjustment as pitchers figure him out. Rookies always have to adjust down the line. He seems pretty disciplined so far so hope is high.

Yeah he will but not a lot. Seems like a special hitter and with power to the opposite field. May end up forcing pitchers to adjust to him, his ceiling is huge.

Reaction Score
Yeah he will but not a lot. Seems like a special hitter and with power to the opposite field. May end up forcing pitchers to adjust to him, his ceiling is huge.
Aaron Judge II??? We'll take it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Damn, Kid has serious opposite field power. Not easy for young guys to stay back on balls like that.

Seems really chill at the plate for some reason, though that might be in my head.

Reaction Score
Another observation on Devers. He stole a base last night when he noticed that Chapman wasn't paying attention. How many rookies would dare try that? He seems to really understand the game.;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom