rabid fan base | Page 2 | The Boneyard

rabid fan base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pack the house? Offer $1 beer before kickoff inside the stadium....just sayin. Sad, but true

2 hours before kickoff. People will be standing in line and no one will be in their seats if it's right before kickoff. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great and all the amateurs will be puking and starting fights by end of first quarter :)

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Rabble rabble....if UConn were playing a night game on national TV for the conference title, the Rent would be rockin. I've see it happen in games that weren't nearly that important.

Reaction Score
Rabble rabble....if UConn were playing a night game on national TV for the conference title, the Rent would be rockin. I've see it happen in games that weren't nearly that important.

West Virginia and Pitt games 2 years ago were pretty nuts.

Reaction Score
A couple suggestions to make the Rent look better on TV:

1. Close in area between bowl and upper deck. Even if you keep the area open under the scoreboard, it will put thousands back in their seats.
2. Make tailgates shutdown 30 minutes before kickoff. Most stadium/venues make tailgaters shut it down when a event/concert starts. It will put thousands in their seats. The Gezpatcho at the Rent are very quick to shut down a football toss, I am sure they can handle this new assignment.
3. Play for a BE title and a shot at a BCS slot. It will generate a sell out.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
West Virginia and Pitt games 2 years ago were pretty nuts.
I've been to games against Pitt and USF that were night games on national TV and the atmosphere was fantastic. The Thrusday night game against Pitt (with Tyler Palko) sticks out to me. The crowd caused, at one point, 2 false starts and a delay of game on a single series.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
So there can be an additional 15k of empty seats? If the Rent regularly had 40k in attendance for UConn games expansion would be in the discussion. In the 10 years it has been open, there have probably been less than 5 games that has happened, and that is probably a high estimation.

Go for broke, waiting for the time that we consistently sell out may be smart financially, but it's small time thinking like that that doesn't help our cause when we're applying to get out of the BE.

Football drives the bus, no matter how many championships we rack up in BBall. If our decisions makers aren't willing to be as big as we can be now, you can't trust that they will have the gumption to make better choices in the future. And this conservative, tight ass, safe mode BS like this that pisses me off royally about the place we're in now. Shake things up for Chrissakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Rutgers Stadium was NOT sold out last night. They were playing for the first BCS bowl bid in program history and seats were available. So rabid isn't exactly the right word. I could accept enthusiastic.

Don't deceive youself. While we may have had enthusiastic crowds for several of our games, especially at night, none of them--not one-- had as enthusiastic an opening looking TV shot right before kickoff as Rutgers did last night. I don't care that seats in the upper deck were empty. What matters is that when Joe Fan (and ACC/B1G poobahs) tuned in and saw a kickoff with a rabid, towel waving packed house, he and they were impressed. For those of you who aren't usually there at our kickoffs (and who complain about how others have the nerve to percieve us as they do) try Tivo-ing our games and then watch them from the top. It's a joke. A bad joke. And no one should be laughing.

Reaction Score
You can add a couple rows of seats between the lower and upper decks. This would stop all the walk around nonsense. It would be more like the portals at the Yale Bowl. These would be good seats for viewing the game and should sell well.

Reaction Score
Don't deceive youself. While we may have had enthusiastic crowds for several of our games, especially at night, none of them--not one-- had as enthusiastic an opening looking TV shot right before kickoff as Rutgers did last night. I don't care that seats in the upper deck were empty. What matters is that when Joe Fan (and ACC/B1G poobahs) tuned in and saw a kickoff with a rabid, towel waving packed house, he and they were impressed. For those of you who aren't usually there at our kickoffs (and who complain about how others have the nerve to percieve us as they do) try Tivo-ing our games and then watch them from the top. It's a joke. A bad joke. And no one should be laughing.

You're comparing apples and oranges. You are comparing a winner take all, prime time game for the conference championship and a BCS boewl slot versus the average UConn Saturday crowd. Not the same thing at all.

Reaction Score
You can add a couple rows of seats between the lower and upper decks. This would stop all the walk around nonsense. It would be more like the portals at the Yale Bowl. These would be good seats for viewing the game and should sell well.

Mini Luxury boxes... :D

Reaction Score
You're comparing apples and oranges. You are comparing a winner take all, prime time game for the conference championship and a BCS boewl slot versus the average UConn Saturday crowd. Not the same thing at all.

I'm not comparing apples and oranges. I'm comparing macIntosh and granny smith.

Reaction Score
Mini Luxury boxes... :D
Maybe but would have to emphasize mini. 2or 3 rows of seats would look cleaner to my eye. For years I felt whaler was making sense with the we can't expand yet rants. Now with teams like Michigan and Tenn on schedule we could fill more seats and it makes no sense to stay small because it would not be sold out every game. Watching other games on TV you see plenty of examples of empty seats but they aren't being called out. This could be bonded and be a Conn. worker employment angle. (unlike the busway) Keep the seat prices low and generate new fans. Be proactive which is very un-Connecticut like.

Reaction Score

This is the actual fix recommended by the guy who built the stadium. He realizes now his idea of asking the architects if they could design the Rent so fans would be able to view the field "while getting a hot dog" (precipitated by the time he missed a kickoff return by Dave Meggett at Giants Stadium) was a big mistake. The additions of these fill-in seats, which would leave only selected portals, would add lots of additional seats without pouring any concrete. He also wants to fill in the scoreboard area. P.S. He also showed me the new video scoreboard schematic which has an HD video screen as big as our entire present full scoreboard. They are just waiting for money. Aren't we all.

Reaction Score
Maybe but would have to emphasize mini. 2or 3 rows of seats would look cleaner to my eye. For years I felt whaler was making sense with the we can't expand yet rants. Now with teams like Michigan and Tenn on schedule we could fill more seats and it makes no sense to stay small because it would not be sold out every game. Watching other games on TV you see plenty of examples of empty seats but they aren't being called out. This could be bonded and be a Conn. worker employment angle. (unlike the busway) Keep the seat prices low and generate new fans. Be proactive which is very un-Connecticut like.

Thinking something like this... but w/ better seats

images

Reaction Score
I guess I'm over enthusiastic and overly optomistic. But I like to have lofty goals and aim high.......I may not reach them, but am always trying.

Everyone laughed when Schiano went to Rutgers and proclaimed he wanted to bring national championships to the university. A high goal that was never achieved, but the program became something no one in NJ ever imagined was even remotely possible. Look where they are now compared to UConn........it must feel nice to be wanted.......the additional $ 20 mil is even better.

Schiano's illustrious and illusionary goals did not get NC's, but got Rutgers more attention from fans, athletes, press and other conferences.

Some commentary is absolutely on point. Syracuse and Pittsburgh stadiums often look as minor league as UConn during game time. The difference is they offer an historic perspective to a success where they had heisman trophy winners, and some of their players in the NFL became household names and NFL hall of famers. So in the eyes of the more established conferences, they have shown they can be successful, and have potentials that were not realized in the big east. That's why they were/are desirable and perceived as a benefit to other conferences.

Wasn't there a kindergarten story about the "little engine that could".....something about getting to the top of a big mountain? (My AARP mind may escape the details).

UConn does not have a historical perspective, which I'll symbolize as a diesel engine, to pull UConn's locomotive along.

So once again, its up to SH, WM and the fans to get this little FB engine out of the station and started up the big hill. If not, we're stuck in the "roundhouse" at ground level, and no other conference is going to punch UConn's ticket.

Reaction Score
Go for broke, waiting for the time that we consistently sell out may be smart financially, but it's small time thinking like that that doesn't help our cause when we're applying to get out of the BE.

Football drives the bus, no matter how many championships we rack up in BBall. If our decisions makers aren't willing to be as big as we can be now, you can't trust that they will have the gumption to make better choices in the future. And this conservative, tight ass, safe mode BS like this that pisses me off royally about the place we're in now. Shake things up for Chrissakes.

My point being, what will 15k empty seats do for you? So you have a 55k seat stadium, but you still only get 35k fans other than a handful of times.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
My point being, what will 15k empty seats do for you? So you have a 55k seat stadium, but you still only get 35k fans other than a handful of times.

It shows other league heads that you have made a full investment in your football program and not a wait and see approach.

Reaction Score
I've been to Rutgers Stadium twice. I have not seen an appreciable difference in atmosphere between there and Rentschler. In each case, the atmosphere will have everything to do with how the team is doing and thus how important the game is, as opposed to whether it's in Hartford or Piscataway. And is our atmosphere worse than at the Carrier Dome or at BC? Please.

Agreed.

We are not going to be like an SEC school in our livetimes. Please quit trashing the program, and crating the negative perceptions that feeds others, by setting that as the goals. If and when we're not doing what they do in Boston and Syracuse and Piscataway and College Park (did anyone really think their fans and crowd was better than ours when you saw it first hand), then we have something to talk about.

This is the frustrating part here. UConn has the potential to be so much more. We certainly can be Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, NCSate. We just need a stable, quality conference to park our program in.

Most everyone, myself included, seems willing to accept that perception hurt us this week. Guess what folks -- we can't change the perception of us being minor league if half the fans here feel free to tell us how much we are minor league on a daily basis.

No I see that as passion about the program. And I think the powers to be would do well to listen to some of what's said. Everyone here arrogantly bashed Schiano, his helicopter recruiting, the Rutgers stadium expansion,etc. But how's that all worked out? Maybe there's something to this approach that we don't understand and maybe we need to take a less conservative (that PIA Land of Steady Habits crap) and do something different - like be less patient.

Reaction Score
All the magic of TV. Again, I was there and the student section at the beginning was packed and raucous and a great TV shot. The rest of the stadium was like the Rent at kickoff which even prompted my RU buddy and friends to state how disappointed they were that people were not in their seats for the kickoff even with Senior intros.

Reaction Score
Cincy was pretty empty for Senior Day kickoff as well.

Reaction Score

If we had a season like either of these teams and a semi-potent offense we would have sold our place out. Yeah people have competing interests but they want to be entertained yet we keep hammering the ones that actually show up. Product, schedule and marketing need an upgrade and the fans will come. Rutgers is getting close on all 3 but we have the same or better potential imo. And we could add some small touches to the lot to make pre-game even better.

Reaction Score
Always thought the TV camera was on the wrong side. If you showed the tower side, it would look a lot better.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Not true. We sit where we can see the tower side and these people could be dead for all the movement you see out of them. Thats where the corporations have their seats and thats why there are so many empty seats. I worked for a corp. that had multiple seats at the fb and bb games and would give them away to employees. We were told that we embarrassed the company because we cheered and made a lot of noise. We were told this when we went to pick the tickets the next time and told them thanks but no thanks. We would rather sit in the nosebleed seats and be who we are.

Reaction Score
Not true. We sit where we can see the tower side and these people could be dead for all the movement you see out of them. Thats where the corporations have their seats and thats why there are so many empty seats. I worked for a corp. that had multiple seats at the fb and bb games and would give them away to employees. We were told that we embarrassed the company because we cheered and made a lot of noise. We were told this when we went to pick the tickets the next time and told them thanks but no thanks. We would rather sit in the nosebleed seats and be who we are.

I don't believe that to be true... I'm in Section 203 (by choice - 2nd 3 year cycle same seats) and the group around this area is fairly loud and knowledgable with the same faces. I can see the sections on either side. No more or no less attendance or noise than the "UConn Bench" side. Businesses have their seats all around the Rent. The only consistently filled section is the parent's section. We have a lot of room for improvement here.

Reaction Score
Stop letting people stand in the end zone and around d 'n stadium. Get to your seats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having vented about that, Rutgers has over 50K seats. If we had 55K seats we would never have sold out many. If ever.

Sorry Bus I know that you do not like that we boast about our weaknesses, but you have to admit that you have a problem - STEP 1 of the 12 Steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom