rabid fan base | The Boneyard

rabid fan base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A thought concerning UConn's athletic future.

One thing that was apparent in UConn/Louisville and Rutgers/Louisville football games is a rabid fan base. The stands were packed, and the fans were loud. Last night I could feel the enthusiasm through the TV......it was a great atmosphere.

Though disappointed to the highest degree UConn wasn't selected, if I'm to believe every written/spoken word offered the last few days as to why Louisville, why not UConn, from my understanding of the commentary it boiled down to a couple of major points (1) the excitement the team offers (2) and the fan base.

UConn has not had an exciting explosive offense "for years" and it probably would not be much of a drawing card in opposing stadiums. The ACC wanted an upgrade over Maryland. Based on point (1) above, I can reluctanly understand an ACC/fan preference for Louisville.

The ACC also remarked how fan support attendance wise was noted over the last few years. I have a few acquaintenances who graduated from universities that are "major players" in the world of college football and they have "suggested" to me that when viewed on TV UConn looks "minor league" when the stands are almost empty at the start and finish of games, and its killing the perception of the program/team.. They may be right.......looks like a C-USA/Sunbelt/MAC environment.

The BE is bringin in two east coast teams UCF, and ECU that have strong football traditions, and will present immediate athletic challenges to UConn. UCF has been ranked nationally more times than UConn, and ECU has beaten WVU a few times when they consistently had each other on OOC schedules in the 90's, early 2000's.

Both teams also consistently pack their stadiums......ECU gets close to 50,000 for a C-USA game.

IF, in a few years ACC has a need, and UConn does not take care of business in either point (1) or (2) above, wouldn't be surprised if either UCF or ECU is chosen over UConn.

SH & WM have to take care of point (1) ASAP.

IT's up to the fans to change the perception from "casual" to "rabid" fan support

I won't be upset if passionate fans take exception to my commentary. I value all opinions, criticize none. I will be upset if UConn is again bypassed again if there is another conference adjustment because ALL of us can't take care of business.

Reaction Score
There will be at least 30,000 people freezing their asses off tomorrow. We're off to a reasonable start.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Expand the ducking stadium, hire a young coach who has a good tracking record at a smaller school of putting up points on the board and that should help put people in the seats and interested. To my knowledge this is something UConn can control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Rutgers Stadium was NOT sold out last night. They were playing for the first BCS bowl bid in program history and seats were available.

So rabid isn't exactly the right word. I could accept enthusiastic.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Pack the house? Offer $1 beer before kickoff inside the stadium....just sayin. Sad, but true

2 hours before kickoff. People will be standing in line and no one will be in their seats if it's right before kickoff.

Reaction Score
I've been to Rutgers Stadium twice. I have not seen an appreciable difference in atmosphere between there and Rentschler. In each case, the atmosphere will have everything to do with how the team is doing and thus how important the game is, as opposed to whether it's in Hartford or Piscataway. And is our atmosphere worse than at the Carrier Dome or at BC? Please.

We are not going to be like an SEC school in our livetimes. Please quit trashing the program, and crating the negative perceptions that feeds others, by setting that as the goals. If and when we're not doing what they do in Boston and Syracuse and Piscataway and College Park (did anyone really think their fans and crowd was better than ours when you saw it first hand), then we have something to talk about.

Most everyone, myself included, seems willing to accept that perception hurt us this week. Guess what folks -- we can't change the perception of us being minor league if half the fans here feel free to tell us how much we are minor league on a daily basis.

Reaction Score
2 hours before kickoff. People will be standing in line and no one will be in their seats if it's right before kickoff.

yeah, what you said. 2 hours.

Reaction Score
Rutgers was sold out last night. I don't know if they filled the seats. As for us, Roy Kramer said we have the potential of an SEC fanbase in his feasibility study on whether UConn should upgrade to the FBS level. We already have a tailgating atmosphere commended by SEC fans.

Reaction Score
I was there last night and it was impressive, especially by the student section, coordinated chants, knowing when to be loud, etc.

But, it was about 8K short of a full house and more importantly to the "football school" Louisville, if they had more than 500 fans there for their BCS shot it was a lot. Pathetic showing by the Louisville fanbase.

Otherwise, awesome environment and RU is eager and ready for their entrance in the BIG from a gameday experience. Fun time.

Reaction Score
you just contradicted yourself. dont say anything bad about our team and make others feel the same way...and then, we wont be bigtime in our lifetime. lol. just pointing it out.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
yeah, what you said. 2 hours.

And if you really want to make it a sense of urgency kind of thing, have it last until about a half hour before kickoff. People will be coming into the stadium by the thousands.

Reaction Score
I have been to every Big East venue except Louisville. Not one of them screamed "big time" to me. It was very similar to the atmosphere at the Rent. BL is right. Will we never have the atmosphere of the big time SEC schools. Forget about in our lifetimes, it will never happen period. The Rent has a better atmosphere than half of the current ACC.

Reaction Score
Let's see what the Rent is like next year for the Michigan game.

Reaction Score
you just contradicted yourself. dont say anything bad about our team and make others feel the same way...and then, we wont be bigtime in our lifetime. lol. just pointing it out.

I understand your point but fully disagree. I don't think setting reasonable expectations (for a coach, for a program, for fans) is trashing the program. If you don't set reasonable expectations, then you are always complaining about failing. That is entirely different from the "we suck, " "our fans suck" and "our league sucks" barrage that we have to sift through that don't add anything of value to the discussion.

Reaction Score
But, it was about 8K short of a full house and more importantly to the "football school" Louisville, if they had more than 500 fans there for their BCS shot it was a lot. Pathetic showing by the Louisville fanbase.
Ticket-wise, they were sold out. Perhaps the no-show Rutgers fans didn't want to brave the cold weather.

Reaction Score
I understand your point but fully disagree. I don't think setting reasonable expectations (for a coach, for a program, for fans) is trashing the program. If you don't set reasonable expectations, then you are always complaining about failing. That is entirely different from the "we suck, " "our fans suck" and "our league sucks" barrage that we have to sift through that don't add anything of value to the discussion.
fair enough. i agree. but I also think that we will be "major" in terms of football in the next 5-10 years. 10 on the max side. At least in a conference with major schools to compete against and draw larger crowds at home. Michigan next year will be so packed you wont be able to walk. it'll be like that more regularly if we can make a move and make bowl games regularly

Reaction Score
I don't think that is at all impossible in a stronger conference than the Big East we played in the last 8 years and with the right coach.

Reaction Score
Ticket-wise, they were sold out. Perhaps the no-show Rutgers fans didn't want to brave the cold weather.

The corners in the upper deck were completely empty.

Reaction Score
Expand the ducking stadium......

So there can be an additional 15k of empty seats? If the Rent regularly had 40k in attendance for UConn games expansion would be in the discussion. In the 10 years it has been open, there have probably been less than 5 games that has happened, and that is probably a high estimation.

Reaction Score
So there can be an additional 15k of empty seats? If the Rent regularly had 40k in attendance for UConn games expansion would be in the discussion. In the 10 years it has been open, there have probably been less than 5 games that has happened, and that is probably a high estimation.

We should have expanded 5 years ago. Now it's a non starter. We blew it.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Always thought the TV camera was on the wrong side. If you showed the tower side, it would look a lot better.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
A thought concerning UConn's athletic future.

One thing that was apparent in UConn/Louisville and Rutgers/Louisville football games is a rabid fan base. The stands were packed, and the fans were loud. Last night I could feel the enthusiasm through the TV......it was a great atmosphere.

Though disappointed to the highest degree UConn wasn't selected, if I'm to believe every written/spoken word offered the last few days as to why Louisville, why not UConn, from my understanding of the commentary it boiled down to a couple of major points (1) the excitement the team offers (2) and the fan base.

UConn has not had an exciting explosive offense "for years" and it probably would not be much of a drawing card in opposing stadiums. The ACC wanted an upgrade over Maryland. Based on point (1) above, I can reluctanly understand an ACC/fan preference for Louisville.

The ACC also remarked how fan support attendance wise was noted over the last few years. I have a few acquaintenances who graduated from universities that are "major players" in the world of college football and they have "suggested" to me that when viewed on TV UConn looks "minor league" when the stands are almost empty at the start and finish of games, and its killing the perception of the program/team.. They may be right.......looks like a C-USA/Sunbelt/MAC environment.

The BE is bringin in two east coast teams UCF, and ECU that have strong football traditions, and will present immediate athletic challenges to UConn. UCF has been ranked nationally more times than UConn, and ECU has beaten WVU a few times when they consistently had each other on OOC schedules in the 90's, early 2000's.

Both teams also consistently pack their stadiums......ECU gets close to 50,000 for a C-USA game.

IF, in a few years ACC has a need, and UConn does not take care of business in either point (1) or (2) above, wouldn't be surprised if either UCF or ECU is chosen over UConn.

SH & WM have to take care of point (1) ASAP.

IT's up to the fans to change the perception from "casual" to "rabid" fan support

I won't be upset if passionate fans take exception to my commentary. I value all opinions, criticize none. I will be upset if UConn is again bypassed again if there is another conference adjustment because ALL of us can't take care of business.

Louisville had 10k empty seats for our game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom