r/CollegeBasketball user claims to have insider info on Cooper Flagg -> UConn* | Page 9 | The Boneyard

r/CollegeBasketball user claims to have insider info on Cooper Flagg -> UConn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I will name a few and give reasons:

1) Conference. ACC has huge television exposure, they have some very good teams in their own right as well. Money/exposure wise ACC>BE. This year, the Big East is a better conference though, I will agree.

2) Roster fit. I mean, the kid will fit in perfectly wherever he goes. Not fair to say one is better than the other.

3) Prox. To Home. He is from Maine but his family relocated to Florida. Probably a wash there. Unless you’re bringing in extended family, which, I guess.

4) Historic Success.The blue blood argument is dumb. We’re the best of the last 25/30 years. But historically Duke probably edges us. Wins/Conference titles, etc.

5) Fan Base. We don’t travel especially well, and Duke’s fan base is significantly more spread throughout the country, mostly paper fans/bandwagoners but still. We certainly are crazy though.
There’s no basis for the ACC being a better basketball conference than the big east

Historic success and fan base are 2 of the debatables

I think the roster fit here is better

It correct proximity to home may not be a factor.

Still UConn checks off significantly more boxes

Reaction Score
There’s no basis for the ACC being a better basketball conference than the big east

Historic success and fan base are 2 of the debatables

I think the roster fit here is better

It correct proximity to home may not be a factor.

Still UConn checks off significantly more boxes
I mean, fine, but you are still biased. I explained a basis for why the ACC could be considered better. From an outsiders/unbiased perspective, it’s certainly not the wash you believe it is.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He canceled the Kansas visit because he's going to get a Nike shoe deal. NIL is secondary here.
If that was the only reason, why did he schedule the visit in the first place?

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Th
I will name a few and give reasons:

1) Conference. ACC has huge television exposure, they have some very good teams in their own right as well. Money/exposure wise ACC>BE. This year, the Big East is a better conference though, I will agree.

2) Roster fit. I mean, the kid will fit in perfectly wherever he goes. Not fair to say one is better than the other.

3) Prox. To Home. He is from Maine but his family relocated to Florida. Probably a wash there. Unless you’re bringing in extended family, which, I guess.

4) Historic Success.The blue blood argument is dumb. We’re the best of the last 25/30 years. But historically Duke probably edges us. Wins/Conference titles, etc.

5) Fan Base. We don’t travel especially well, and Duke’s fan base is significantly more spread throughout the country, mostly paper fans/bandwagoners but still. We certainly are crazy though.
I’ll add the Duke NBA alumni has a pretty crazy list to be connected to. They have the 2nd most stars after Kentucky.

Like it will take A LOT for us to get there right now because we aren’t talking about guys just making it, but playing at an all star/superstar level. They have a lot of guys doing that right now.

With all that being said we can definitely get there.

Reaction Score
I mean, fine, but you are still biased. I explained a basis for why the ACC could be considered better. From an outsiders/unbiased perspective, it’s certainly not the wash you believe it is.
I don’t think you’ll find many unbiased people who will say the ACC is a better basketball conference than the big east. Not in recent history.

Sure I’m biased, everyone is. But I wouldn’t be making these same claims against a Kansas. Why? Because they wouldn’t be true. Nothing I claimed is false.

Reaction Score
I don’t think you’ll find many unbiased people who will say the ACC is a better basketball conference than the big east. Not in recent history.

Sure I’m biased, everyone is. But I wouldn’t be making these same claims against a Kansas. Why? Because they wouldn’t be true. Nothing I claimed is false.
Not saying what you have stated is false, just that there is evidence that backs up the argument against.

Reaction Score
I think you forgot Georgetown among our past champions. So it's 3 teams and 7 total.

*Didn't see your lead in as to millenia.

Reaction Score
In this millennia, 6 teams that are currently in the ACC have won titles. Only 2 for the Big East. They have collective 10 titles to our 6.
The ACC of the 2000s is not the ACC of today. And they aren’t remotely the same conferences that they were 20 years ago

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
And don't forget the free smokes.

Lol.

Smoke 'em up Poly!

100.webp

There is NO reason to live in NC over New England unless your job takes you there.

Imagine raising a kid there. Schools in North Carolina were ranked No. 33 overall, No. 38 for quality, and No. 28 for safety.

August_West

Reaction Score
The ACC of the 2000s is not the ACC of today

Then I guess we should discount our titles and FF appearances in the 2000's which was our most productive decade by far?

Reaction Score
Then I guess we should discount our titles and FF appearances in the 2000's which was out most productive decade by far?
If we’re talking about recency of course. It’s irrelevant.

They aren’t even remotely the same conferences they were 20 years ago.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Historical success isn't really debatable at all.

Unless the only metric is titles...

Credit where it's due they've made 17 final 4s and 11 title games.

It's an asinine argument to say it's a "wash".

Reaction Score
In this millennia, 6 teams that are currently in the ACC have won titles. Only 2 for the Big East. They have collective 10 titles to our 6.
I'm trying to make sense of this, can you explain further?

Reaction Score
Historical success isn't really debatable at all.

Unless the only metric is titles...

Credit where it's due they've made 17 final 4s and 11 title games.

It's an asinine argument to say it's a "wash".
You make a strong case. I’ll concede.

UConn 11 - Duke 1

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Good grief. Like every other athlete in the NCAA with a modicum of sense, if Clingan plays well enough to be drafted early, he will leave. Stop with this nonsense and enjoy Flagg's recruitment.
Lol. I guess neither Tim Duncan nor Larry Bird had a modicum of sense. And those are just the ones that come immediately to mind.

Human nature is tremendously varied. To think all motivations are the same as yours, or should be, does not really show a modicum of sense.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm trying to make sense of this, can you explain further?
How is this complicated? The first six champions of this Millenia were: MSU, Duke, Maryland, Syracuse, UConn, North Carolina. Louisville and Virgina later won as well as Villanova. So that's 6 current ACC schools and 2 current Big East schools. SEC also has two (Florida, UK) and Big XII has two (KU, Baylor). Big Ten has just that one in 2000 and the old Pac had zero.

Even if you want to consider just the last decade, it's 3 ACC schools and 2 Big East schools.

For fun facts, the Big Ten dominates the loser side of the NC game. Since 2000, Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin have all lost title games.

Reaction Score
Lol. I guess neither Tim Duncan nor Larry Bird had a modicum of sense. And those are just the ones that come immediately to mind.

Human nature is tremendously varied. To think all motivations are the same as yours, or should be, does not really show a modicum of sense.

Your best examples are from 1997 and 1978. Seriously? I can think of better examples and I'm the one disagreeing with you. Good grief.

Reaction Score
How is this complicated? The first six champions of this Millenia were: MSU, Duke, Maryland, Syracuse, UConn, North Carolina. Louisville and Virgina later won as well as Villanova. So that's 6 current ACC schools and 2 current Big East schools. SEC also has two (Florida, UK) and Big XII has two (KU, Baylor). Big Ten has just that one in 2000 and the old Pac had zero.

Even if you want to consider just the last decade, it's 3 ACC schools and 2 Big East schools.

For fun facts, the Big Ten dominates the loser side of the NC game. Since 2000, Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin have all lost title games.
I forgot about Cuse but Maryland is in the Big 10.

It's all confusing and a bit complicated. Louisville and Cuse won their titles in the Big East, they both suck now and Louisville doesn't even have that title in the record books.

All that shuffling around and Big East is better than the ACC now in hoops.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm thinking the same thing. They will present their plan to facilitate his journey. Will it be better than DH's? Like you said, I like our chances.
Flagg can come to Uconn and play in one of the best conferences in the country against some of the best players in the country. Acc? Not so much. He can play for a national title winning coach for the defending champion. Scheyer? Nope. He can play for a name like Hurley while facing off against names like Pitino, Shaka, Matta, Miller and others. Whos on the other sideline in the Acc? Davis? Capel? Heck ill give you Larranaga but who else? Real exciting there. He can play for a conference tournament title at Madison Square Garden or he can play in Greensboro? Yeah ok. Add to this some of the ties to the program and being way closer to home i see no real reason why this kid should go to duke and i dont want to hear about the "its my dream school" crap. He is a 16 year old kid so its unpredictable but if it comes down to duke having to change his mind because he has indeed decided to come to Uconn, good luck with that.

Reaction Score

Larry Bird was drafted 45 years ago, Tim Duncan 26. The NBA has changed. It's time to get with the times

August_West

Reaction Score

Donovan Clingan, barring tragedy, is not coming back next year. Let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom