Quite Frankly - It's Arrogance | The Boneyard

Quite Frankly - It's Arrogance

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I had dinner over the weekend with some folks who work at the UConn Health Center. Susan Herbst's name came up (not by me) and the unifying descriptive word characterizing her was "Arrogance". So it is not just people at other schools walking away with that take away - it is also folks at her own school.
Quite frankly, this is not helping the conference realignment cause.

Reaction Score
Everyone always has an opinion. Even if this was the consensus, UConn is a lot bigger then just one person even if she is the President. We cant sit here and say the reason we didnt get an invite to the ACC is because of the President or AD's personality.

Reaction Score
Everyone always has an opinion. Even if this was the consensus, UConn is a lot bigger then just one person even if she is the President. We cant sit here and say the reason we didnt get an invite to the ACC is because of the President or AD's personality.

We can also say the reason we didn't get an invite, is because JC retired, our football team has struggled, and WM is a new AD.

C

Chief00

You know early on I thought hiring Herbst was a great move, JC liked her and I read good things in the local papers. The first time I heard bad things was from 3 students at a neighbors party. At the time I discounted them - thinking students often have idealistic or unrealistic ideas, influenced by fringe professors who a have a beef, etc. Over the last couple years - I can honestly say - I have heard generally nothing but negative things about her - from very different independent sources. If someone heard great things by someone who actually has interacted with her - please post it....... rather than shoot the messenger. I would prefer to believe that.....just saying that's not what the impression is at ground level.

Reaction Score
It's the truth. A fool is the one who denies the truth.

I've known about 7 U. Presidents so far. The description is the norm. Hogan was called arrogant by every university in Illinois. Graham Spanier? Arrogant, and worse. I'm not going to get into all the names, but this is pretty common.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's the truth. A fool is the one who denies the truth.
Fell out of my chair laughing at this given the denial you have regarding what people have openly stated about you in these forums. Not only are you in denial, and therefore a fool, you are arrogant as well.

Reaction Score
I've known about 7 U. Presidents so far. The description is the norm. Hogan was called arrogant by every university in Illinois. Graham Spanier? Arrogant, and worse. I'm not going to get into all the names, but this is pretty common.
Exactly. Herbst is still cute though.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I want my NFL quarterbacks and university presidents arrogant.

Do you want Tim Tebow, or do you want to win?

Reaction Score
Change agents had better have a vision and the self confidence to push that vision. Does anybody think that UConn did not need to change? Naysayers are the ones that are either invested in or benefit from the status quo. The academic environment is not used to change agents and they generally resist.

I have interacted with many business leaders over time and vision and self confidence have generally lead to good results. Some of the most self confident CEOs like Jack Welch, Jeff Bezos, Jamey Dimon, Steve Jobs,... produced innovation and great results. I can guarantee you, they were not universally liked.

Reaction Score
I am sure that the students with a neg opinion of her were not too pleased with the campus lockdown for Spring Drunk. The alums like me and the politicians and public thought it great. Agree?

Reaction Score
Change agents had better have a vision and the self confidence to push that vision. Does anybody think that UConn did not need to change? Naysayers are the ones that are either invested in or benefit from the status quo. The academic environment is not used to change agents and they generally resist.

I have interacted with many business leaders over time and vision and self confidence have generally lead to good results. Some of the most self confident CEOs like Jack Welch, Jeff Bezos, Jamey Dimon, Steve Jobs,... produced innovation and great results. I can guarantee you, they were not universally liked.

At least three of the guys you mentioned (Welch, Dimon and Jobs) have also let their egos get the best of them and made arses out of themselves on occasion. I'm not going to say that success and vision and the occasional idiocy go hand in hand, but surely the advice these titans give is not always on point. Take Bill Gates. Great job Bill giving all that money to improve American education, but to go from donations to expertise makes for a very long journey. It's his money, he can do whatever he wants, and I'd imagine anyone with that kind of money would want to direct it with the precision that he does. In the end though, I think it's all wasted. And that surely is a byproduct of a massive ego. But that's fine too. A shame, but it's fine.

Reaction Score
I had dinner over the weekend with some folks who work at the UConn Health Center. Susan Herbst's name came up (not by me) and the unifying descriptive word characterizing her was "Arrogance". So it is not just people at other schools walking away with that take away - it is also folks at her own school.
Quite frankly, this is not helping the conference realignment cause.
The Uconn Health center was mismanaged for years and some employees don't like change. I have no idea how much if any of the changes are the result of her efforts but have you been out there latley? You can hardly get around with all the construction for the new research facilities.
My Doctor is at Uconn and I spent a lot of time there for cancer treatment, surgery and physical theropy and I can tell you that things continue to improve in Farmington.

Reaction Score
At least three of the guys you mentioned (Welch, Dimon and Jobs) have also let their egos get the best of them and made arses out of themselves on occasion. I'm not going to say that success and vision and the occasional idiocy go hand in hand, but surely the advice these titans give is not always on point. Take Bill Gates. Great job Bill giving all that money to improve American education, but to go from donations to expertise makes for a very long journey. It's his money, he can do whatever he wants, and I'd imagine anyone with that kind of money would want to direct it with the precision that he does. In the end though, I think it's all wasted. And that surely is a byproduct of a massive ego. But that's fine too. A shame, but it's fine.
Time for Welsh to fade into obsurity. GE was one of the first companies to ship manufacturing overseas. He was however an outstanding CEO but he has turned into a cranky old man.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Arrogant ar·ro·gant [ árrəgənt ] 1. Doesn't agree with me.

Reaction Score
Arrogance is a trait not necessarily bad or good. If properly managed it can produce confidence and leadership qualities. If not managed properly it can produce an "I don't give a Shot" personality with a mix of "fukk you" creating an avoidance at all costs.

With that said, as for Boneyard posters, there is a thin line between arrogant and stupid, and for that the forum produced an ignore button.

Reaction Score
You know early on I thought hiring Herbst was a great move, JC liked her and I read good things in the local papers. The first time I heard bad things was from 3 students at a neighbors party. At the time I discounted them - thinking students often have idealistic or unrealistic ideas, influenced by fringe professors who a have a beef, etc. Over the last couple years - I can honestly say - I have heard generally nothing but negative things about her - from very different independent sources. If someone heard great things by someone who actually has interacted with her - please post it....... rather than shoot the messenger. I would prefer to believe that.....just saying that's not what the impression is at ground level.

She was in Chicago last spring for an alumni dinner, meet& greet, etc. There wasnt a huge crowd there so everyone got a chance to speak with her at some point. I would say arrogant is the last thing I would take away from what I saw of her.

C

Chief00

She was in Chicago last spring for an alumni dinner, meet& greet, etc. There wasnt a huge crowd there so everyone got a chance to speak with her at some point. I would say arrogant is the last thing I would take away from what I saw of her.
I am glad someone finally actually came up with a specific non arrogant observation.

Reaction Score
I've had several interactions. Arrogant is not an accurate descriptor. In fact it's an easy dysphemism applied too often to tough minded women in positions of authority. I'd call her focused, demanding, and impatient for results. She is engaging, a good listener and a thoughtful decision maker. She does not tread water, she swims. She does not prevaricate, she decides. She has a much bigger vision of what UConn can and should become than any of her recent predecessors. She sees our endowment growing to $1B. She sees AAU membership. To paraphrase Bobby Kennedy--"some UConn Presidents saw things as they were and asked why, she sees things that never were and asks why not?

Reaction Score
I have met Presidents Shirley Jackson of RPI & Donna Shalala of Miami & Karen Hitchcock of UAlbany. All three have been described as arrogant. Demanding. I agree with Nostical ... the POSITION demands action & daily push. Women get a Bad Rap though. They get labeled arrogant far too quickly because of their gender.

I am not ready to give hosannahs to Mrs. Herbst. However, I do LIKE what I have seen. In contrast to Hogan. In contrast to Philip Austin, who did a solid job. She makes you want to buy in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom