Quite Frankly - It's Arrogance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Quite Frankly - It's Arrogance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To paraphrase Bobby Kennedy--"some UConn Presidents saw things as they were and asked why, she sees things that never were and asks why not?
When did Bobby Kennedy say that about UConn? ;)

Reaction Score
I agree with Nostical. I have met Dr Herbst several times and have had the opportunity to discuss a few topics with her - including the size of the endowment, athletics, growing UConn, etc. I have also had the opportunity to engage in a similar way with 2-3 of the past UConn Presidents. It's like varsity vs the JV. UConn was lucky to have hired her, and I honestly think they will be lucky to keep her long term.

I think she is not only focused, she has a vision -- and it's bigger and better than any of the others. She really wants to elevate the University in many ways. She sees Uconn as an incredible opportunity and she wants to do it all...NOW. I would throw out that she is very smart, logical, methodical, perhaps impatient -- but in a good way -- more of an aggressiveness.

I don't know whether she screwed up in some way during realignment, but I feel strongly that she not only "gets it", she is busting to make sure our athletic situation is the absolute best it can be. I would bet that most on this board, until MD/Rutgers, thought our best exit strategy was to get an invite to the ACC. However, I would bet that Susan was asking why the B1G wasn't an option. Who knows, it may be a pipe dream, but I like the fact that it's what (and where) we aspire to be as a University.

Reaction Score
Who cares about all this bs. Fire pasq and hire someone who makes us look remotely marketable in a football sense. Build the facilities, and make it public as . Brag about it. Please. And when the garbage ass ACC looses their key teams , beg for a way in. That's how sad our state is. And then ten years later we'll do it again. the NCAA. And this ridiculous system that continues to pretend that these kids are students. It's just a farce now where ageing sad pathetic old ncaa men get rich off the shoulders of the athletes. And I mean rich beyond what these d bags did for most of this century, now they become millionaires doing nothing. Can't wait til a court rules in favor of the kids. They get what they're owed.

Uconn basketball will survive and thrive despite our balloon knot ex emmert... And the reason is Ollie. And the other reason is that we are a valuable asset. And apparently college amateur sports are now solely about assets.

Wait, did I call emmert a sad pathetic balloon knot yet? Just wanted to make sure

Reaction Score
That's how sad our state is.
You have to understand we are newcomers at the FBS level. Do you see any member of the top 4 conferences who just went to the top tier of football in the past 25 or maybe even 50 years? Some people have no idea how fortunate we are. Amazing how short-sighted people can be.

Reaction Score
she is arrogant and she is disliked among her employees. She also has vision and leadership capabilities that don't let yours or other's feelings get in the way of her goals for the university. Get over it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The simple reality is she will be coveted by many an institution's Board of Directors. Let's hope she stays long enough to have forever changed the culture and the vision of UConn.
This is the only value of people like chief00.:) Maybe he can convince a few of the BOD's his position is accurate! The only positive thing I can see from UConn's position is that BOT's that might want her will back off because the perception (inaccurate imo) is she handled the athletic situation poorly. I want President Herbst around until she accomplishes her goals and is looking for the next challenge!

Reaction Score
The simple reality is she will be coveted by many an institution's Board of Directors. Let's hope she stays long enough to have forever changed the culture and the vision of UConn.
She does seem to enjoy UConn very deeply. She's from NYC and the Hudson River Valley, after all.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
She does seem to enjoy UConn very deeply. She's from NYC and the Hudson River valley, after all.
There are people who have visions and love the challenge of proving their visions can be accomplished. JC had that about UConn bb. Several people had that about UConn football.

If nostical and WhartonHusky's impressions are accurate I feel that President Herbst is equally about making a statement as making a name for herself. And that bodes well for the university.

Reaction Score
There are people who have visions and love the challenge of proving their visions can be accomplished. JC had that about UConn bb. Several people had that about UConn football.

If nostical and WhartonHusky's impressions are accurate I feel that President Herbst is equally about making a statement as making a name for herself. And that bodes well for the university.
This is her chance to leave the largest lasting mark possible. And I sure do have the impression she wants to do that.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
This is her chance to leave the largest lasting mark possible. And I sure do have the impression she wants to do that.
I hate to say it I have a man crush on her. But I've always loved much younger women!!!!

Reaction Score
I once worked for a very tough female elected official. She was criticized as a bitch by many of her opponents, but my impression was that she was no different from her male counterparts. They were aggressive and demanding and visonary when they did things. She was a pushy broad when she did exactly the same things to move her agenda forward. That is part of what's going on here. On the other hand, I don't think she has a true handle on the importance of athletics to a place like UConn and I don't think she's handled that well at all. But it isn't because she is a woman. Just that it isn't a priority.

Reaction Score
You have to understand we are newcomers at the FBS level. Do you see any member of the top 4 conferences who just went to the top tier of football in the past 25 or maybe even 50 years? Some people have no idea how fortunate we are. Amazing how short-sighted people can be.

I can only think of Virginia Tech that spent most of its history prior to 1970 in a conference that was nominally D1AA (i.e. Appalachian St, E Tenn St., William & Mary, Georgetown, etc.). Then it went independent and gradually moved up the 1A rankings. They've been at it for 40 years at this level, but really more like 30.

The only other would be Louisville (not in the ACC yet) that rose to status in the 1980s under Schnellenberger. Prior to that, they were in the Missouri Valley football conference, playing teams like S. Illinois, W. Texas St., Indiana St., Drake, N Mex. St., N. Texas St., etc. It was quasi D1.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it I have a man crush on her. But I've always loved much younger women!!!!
She's mine! (Disclaimer: I am just kidding. Feel free to kidnap me though, Susan.)

Reaction Score
I can only think of Virginia Tech that spent most of its history prior to 1970 in a conference that was nominally D1AA (i.e. Appalachian St, E Tenn St., William & Mary, Georgetown, etc.). Then it went independent and gradually moved up the 1A rankings. They've been at it for 40 years at this level, but really more like 30.

The only other would be Louisville (not in the ACC yet) that rose to status in the 1980s under Schnellenberger. Prior to that, they were in the Missouri Valley football conference, playing teams like S. Illinois, W. Texas St., Indiana St., Drake, N Mex. St., N. Texas St., etc. It was quasi D1.
Those two schools are not in the top 4 conferences. But VT should be soon. Football there worked wonders.

C

Chief00

We will see if one she truly has a good vision and two - if she can implement it. With the way she rubs the key people the wrong way - I wouldn't bet on it.

Reaction Score
College professors live in a different world that the rest of us and Storrs is quite an insulated community. If Pres. Herbst is pushing people to better the University and they don't like it well tough nuts for them. It's a competitive enviornment, resting on your laurels isn't the way to go though some are quite happy to do so as they are well paid no matter what.

Reaction Score
I had dinner over the weekend with some folks who work at the UConn Health Center. Susan Herbst's name came up (not by me) and the unifying descriptive word characterizing her was "Arrogance". So it is not just people at other schools walking away with that take away - it is also folks at her own school.
Quite frankly, this is not helping the conference realignment cause.
Edsell, Geno, Calhoun - I would think at one time or another were all called arrogant. If Herbst is in this group than I will take it.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
We will see if one she truly has a good vision and two - if she can implement it. With the way she rubs the key people the wrong way - I wouldn't bet on it.

Other than calling for massive increases in the endowment (leading to one of the largest single-year growths of the endowment in the history of the University of Connecticut), calling for massive faculty expansion at a time when schools around the country are cutting staff (297 new professors hired/hiring), or unveiling a plan to create a massive technology park in Storrs?

Did those three things not happen?

Were they made up?

Did you pay a single shred of attention to any piece of news about the school in the past year?

Were you abroad?

That's three specific, clear visions that she has implemented in the last friggin year.

Takeaway: those "key" people who you claim oppose her are not nearly as key as you, or they, think they are.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Gosh, silly me, I totally forgot the $864,000,000 bioscience facility being opened at the UConn Health Center in Farmington.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
she is arrogant and she is disliked among her employees. She also has vision and leadership capabilities that don't let yours or other's feelings get in the way of her goals for the university. Get over it.
We finally have a president with aspirations and ambitions for the school. I am confident that many of her employees (especially those who achieved some comfort level with the lack of anything actually going on with the president for ~ eight years) resent the ides that they are now expected to help reach goals (which would take some effort on their part).

Culture change within an organization is often met with quite a bit of resistance. If any university required a change in culture, it is my alma mater.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I know someone who actually played their (VPI) in the mid 1960's. He is still amazed at where they were in the early 1990's (which is well below what they've become). He also still views VMI as their biggest rival (states it mostly as a joke these days).

C

Chief00

I don't disagree with the observations that some professors are too isolated and out of touch. That doesn't though speak to Herbst's results. Ultimately, she will be judged by results and frankly how she has carried herself to achieve them. A good leader can motivate and influence without alienating the majority of folks who have direct dealings with the leader, Good leaders accept accountability and don't accept huge compensation while saying they have no control over any outcomes. True there are obstacles/hurdles but good leaders navigate them. It's not so much what "external" events happen to you it is how you handled and deal with them.

Personally, I have gotten very good bonuses - as a result of dealing with some very challenging events. You can view those challenges as opportunities and take a critical eye to things in a constructive manner or you can use your newly hired $250k Communication Director to blame the fans and the intangible - "events out of our control". The first step in tackling them constructively - is to accept the challenge - steady yourself despite the panic/fear - and think tactically and out of the box.

To solve any major problem a leader needs to leverage strong internal/external relationships that are built during both good and bad times. Without singling out anyone - I think it is fair to say UConn has not done that well. Syracuse doesn't have a superior football program, Ville lacked us academically by a mile,we have 3 NC's in basketball vs. Pitt and have beaten them in FB in recent years. So as is often the case, The Hartford Courant got the key facts wrong in their article today.

So far - at least from an Athletic Dept perspective - many things could be done better - much better. Falling attendance.........regardless of on field/court records - point to that. Yeah blame it on HD TV, etc.......but good management leverage technological advances to their advantage rather than wail against advances or those who benefit from them.

Reaction Score
On the other hand, I don't think she has a true handle on the importance of athletics to a place like UConn and I don't think she's handled that well at all. But it isn't because she is a woman. Just that it isn't a priority.
Excellence in athletics has never been a "priority" at Uconn. Not a real priority like it Notre Dame, Alabama, Georgia, USC - real big time programs. It's a priority now, and has been for the past few years, but traditionally this has been a stick in the mud, Yankee conference, New England steady habits place. If anything, SH is right up there with Big Lou in terms of pushing the priority . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom