Questions on our Egyptian Huskie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Questions on our Egyptian Huskie

Reaction Score
At 0:10

Thank you for the link! If that the way Jana pronounces her name... end of
discussion... and I 'll try to put it into my head and memory banks. Welcome, Jana!! (again)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The first player who Auriemma has recruited from Alaska, [Jessica] Moore -- who can practice and travel with the UConn team while being redshirted -- said she agreed with the decision. ''It will give me a chance to learn and mature as a player,'' said Moore, who conceded that she needs to improve her offensive skills to play at a level comparable to that of the UConn frontcourt veterans.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Thanks to Nan for that clarification...I assume the NCAA is still fine with that...and frankly it is just common sense
to help the entering student/player that way.

Hope it is sooner.....but sooner or later it will be great to have Jana on campus living part of her
dream [playing in the U.S.]

Reaction Score
Thanks to Nan for that clarification...I assume the NCAA is still fine with that...and frankly it is just common sense
to help the entering student/player that way.

Hope it is sooner.....but sooner or later it will be great to have Jana on campus living part of her
dream [playing in the U.S.]
NCAA and common sense are not usually words/terms used together.

Reaction Score
NCAA and common sense are not usually words/terms used together.

For someone who ends up taking a regular redshirt year, i.e. simply not playing for a season, it really would be impossible to ban the player from traveling with the team. That is because there is no formal process to declare that a player is redshirting. There are no forms to be filled out, no documentation, no report to the NCAA or the league, etc. A player/coach can change her mind at any mind and opt to play even if a redshirt year had been planned. When the season ends - and only then - if the player has not played, then he/she are said to have taken a redshirt year.

But note that things can change at any time. Perhaps a team plans to use a player at some point during the year, and that player travels with the team. But then injuries/illness or lack of player development end up causing that player not to play. Then suddenly the player has become a redshirt, even though it was not planned. If a regular redshirt is banned from traveling, then a team in this situation would somehow have to invent time travel and go back in time and retroactively stop that player from traveling.

Things are different, however, when a player is sitting out due to an NCAA rule and will not be allowed to play that season. Then generally they are not allowed to travel with the team. Two most common situations are when a transfer must sit out a year or when an incoming freshman is a non-qualifier academically or an academic redshirt.

Someone asked about Evina Westbrook. Here is some info from an article on Rivals' UConn Report from the summer of 2020:

"Almost immediately after arriving on campus, she underwent knee surgery that kept her out for the entire summer. Then, shortly before the start of the regular season, the NCAA denied her waiver request to play immediately after transferring. . . .

At the very least, Westbrook could still practice, even though she couldn’t play in games or travel on road trips. But that only lasted until New Years’ Eve, when the second surgery officially relegated her to spectator status for the remainder of the year."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom