Questions on our Egyptian Huskie | The Boneyard

Questions on our Egyptian Huskie

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
If you google her name there are several different spellings of her last name. Do we know how
she spells it?

We have seen reports of Jana wanting to graduate from high school 'early'....with the possibility of entering
UConn in the second semester to get a running head start for next year's season.
If she does enter for second semester as a scholarship player...a developmental redshirt...not playing in games...can she join
the team for away games...on the school's dime...do the NCAA rules permit that?

Reaction Score
I imagine she spells her name in Arabic. Romanizations are just approximations, and she may have a preference here. I’ve had many international students over the years and they are not always attached to only one romanization.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
If you google her name there are several different spellings of her last name. Do we know how
she spells it?
How did UConn WBB spell her name when they announced her signing? They tend to be very careful to spell their recruits' names correctly, which in this case would mean reflecting Jana's preferred transliteration of her name into the Roman alphabet.

Reaction Score
The speculation that she could graduate from HS early, and join the team in the second semester has apparently died down. I presume if she was going to do this, the wheels would be in motion now to prepare for it, but I haven't heard anything recently. I know the Boneyard is fairly split on whether it would be a good idea anyway, or think if she comes, she should not use up eligibility, but rather just work out with the team to get a head start on next year.

Reaction Score
Four fantastic young ladies with immeasurable potential who will play four years of basketball for Geno and Uconn. I wish them four years of basketball with no injuries or illnesses. With Geno's coaching and CD's no nonsense leadership, they will have great success and a happy career at Uconn. GO HUSKIES!!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn hit a “grand slam” home run in their last two classes. No projects. Everyone one of them can ball!!! The only question is how long will it take them to adjust to the speed at this level, and learn Geno’s system?

Reaction Score
she spells it?

We have seen reports of Jana wanting to graduate from high school 'early'....with the possibility of entering
UConn in the second semester to get a running head start for next year's season.
If she does enter for second semester as a scholarship player...a developmental redshirt...not playing in games...can she join
the team for away games...on the school's dime...do the NCAA rules permit that?
With no intention to give offense, I don't know what "developmental redshirt" means. There are a number of redshirt rules but they mostly have to do with eligibility for same. I don't believe the NCAA defines such a term except that the primary purpose of redshirting is to allow the player to develop without losing eligible playing time. Of course redshirts are given for other reasons too. Medical redshirts have to be applied for but can't be applied for until the player has used their availibile eligibility.

Whether a rostered player travels or not depends on whether or not the school chooses to pay travel expenses for a player who is not going to participate in the competition. I don't say this from my years of being a UCONN WBB fan but rather more than 40 years of observation of the NCAA as a fan of a another sport at another school. It's my experience that some redshirts travel to all away games, some travel to some away games, and some ever travel to away games.

I can't remember if a UCONN WBB redshirt has not traveled.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
No offense taken: Just tried to distinguish her [possible] status from a medical redshirt.
Your 'primary purpose' describes it perfectly.

If Jana is here for the second semester I would hope/expect that she would travel WITH the team on UConn's dime...simply because she would be ON the team.

Reaction Score
No offense taken: Just tried to distinguish her [possible] status from a medical redshirt.

If Jana is here for the second semester I would hope/expect that she would travel WITH the team on UConn's dime...simply because she would be ON the team.

Hmmmmm........... I thought I heard/read that the player would have to pay to travel. Or maybe it was for the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
Is there any word on how she pronounces her first name? Is it a hard J (like "Jane") or
a german J (like "ja")?

Reaction Score
Is there any word on how she pronounces her first name? Is it a hard J (like "Jane") or
a german J (like "ja")?
Of course I have no idea how her family pronounces the name but the best I can glean from my research is that it is J as in Jim and El Alfy as in El-Alamein. Therefore, J (hard J) ana El Al fee. But then again I might be wrong. ;)

Reaction Score
Of course I have no idea how her family pronounces the name but the best I can glean from my research is that it is J as in Jim and El Alfy as in El-Alamein. Therefore, J (hard J) ana El Al fee. But then again I might be wrong. ;)
One of Jana's videos has her pronouncing her name (if I recall correctly). But I can't remember
the pronunciation. It could be like "Ines". I would have never gotten that right without hearing
it time and again. I will be very happy to learn!!

Reaction Score
With no intention to give offense, I don't know what "developmental redshirt" means. There are a number of redshirt rules but they mostly have to do with eligibility for same. I don't believe the NCAA defines such a term except that the primary purpose of redshirting is to allow the player to develop without losing eligible playing time. Of course redshirts are given for other reasons too. Medical redshirts have to be applied for but can't be applied for until the player has used their availib

The only use of the term “redshirt” by the NCAA is to describe a player who is sitting out a year under the general rule where a player has a five year window to use his/her four years of eligibility.

NCAA rules never use the term “redshirt” in the context of a player who is seeking an extra year due to an injury. That is called a medical hardship waiver. A player can apply for that at any time. They need not wait until all their eligibility has been used up. In fact in terms of planning, many players want to get the waiver approved as soon as possible.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Did Jess Moore travel with the team when she redshirted in her freshman year?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The speculation that she could graduate from HS early, and join the team in the second semester has apparently died down. I presume if she was going to do this, the wheels would be in motion now to prepare for it, but I haven't heard anything recently. I know the Boneyard is fairly split on whether it would be a good idea anyway, or think if she comes, she should not use up eligibility, but rather just work out with the team to get a head start on next year.

UConn has been rather quiet about injuries. I expect that, if anything happens with Jana, we will hear about it only when she arrives. The semester starts on January 17. I have no idea what her plans are, but I’m not ruling anything out until January 18.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
a german J (like "ja")?
One of Jana's videos has her pronouncing her name (if I recall correctly). But I can't remember
the pronunciation. It could be like "Ines". I would have never gotten that right without hearing
it time and again. I will be very happy to learn!!
At 0:10

Reaction Score
Did Jess Moore travel with the team when she redshirted in her freshman year?
I believe that the rule is that you can sit on the bench at home games but are not allowed to travel with the team. However you can pay your own way to away games if you want to attend.

Reaction Score
I believe that the rule is that you can sit on the bench at home games but are not allowed to travel with the team. However you can pay your own way to away games if you want to attend.
That’s the rule for transfers who were required to sit out a year per NCAA rules.

Reaction Score
The only use of the term “redshirt” by the NCAA is to describe a player who is sitting out a year under the general rule where a player has a five year window to use his/her four years of eligibility.

NCAA rules never use the term “redshirt” in the context of a player who is seeking an extra year due to an injury. That is called a medical hardship waiver. A player can apply for that at any time. They need not wait until all their eligibility has been used up. In fact in terms of planning, many players want to get the waiver approved as soon as possible.
First of all, I should have put redshirt in quotes in my first sentence because you are correct there are no "redshirt" rule but rather rules that give rise to using the term "redshirt"

However, you are wrong about "medical" redshirts. Over the last 40+ years being a fan of a college B team beside UCONN where many full season injuries occur, I am familiar with too many "medical redshirt" situations to know that a student athletes eligibility must be otherwise consumed before a "medical hardship" will be granted and it is not automatic. While you can submit the paperwork I suppose early it is a moot point because the "medical hardship" will only be granted after their eligibility has otherwise expired. For example, even though Paige is out for the year she can't be granted a medical redshirt because she has not been redshirted normally yet. This season could be counted as a redshirt year which would still give her two years of eligibility not counting a possible additional '"covid" year.

Reaction Score
First of all, I should have put redshirt in quotes in my first sentence because you are correct there are no "redshirt" rule but rather rules that give rise to using the term "redshirt"

However, you are wrong about "medical" redshirts. Over the last 40+ years being a fan of a college B team beside UCONN where many full season injuries occur, I am familiar with too many "medical redshirt" situations to know that a student athletes eligibility must be otherwise consumed before a "medical hardship" will be granted and it is not automatic. While you can submit the paperwork I suppose early it is a moot point because the "medical hardship" will only be granted after their eligibility has otherwise expired. For example, even though Paige is out for the year she can't be granted a medical redshirt because she has not been redshirted normally yet. This season could be counted as a redshirt year which would still give her two years of eligibility not counting a possible additional '"covid" year.

I guess this is just semantics, and it is true that her medical hardship year would come last. However the medical documentation for her missing a season can be submitted and approved at any time. (But not by the NCAA however, since they normally do not get involved in reviewing medical information for a hardship waiver.). The player need not wait until she has used the rest of her eligibility to get approval from her league that she did indeed have a legitimate season-ending injury. Thus a player as early as her sophomore year may already have been approved to ultimately get an extra season because of the injury.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom