Question for your board: | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Question for your board:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let's not lose sight of the fact that this is a very talented, very YOUNG group that had a chance to play and be lead by Kemba. That will rub off. Now they just have to establish their own identity. I personally think they'll play with a chip in wanted to prove they can win without Kemba.

Talent-wise, this is more talented team than last year. Andre Drummond is the top pick in the draft in 2012. And you also add Boatright/Daniels and give a group of freshman an offseason to physically mature. It's impossible to guage chemistry on paper, but the pieces are there. They should be the most physically imposing/talented team in the country.

Reaction Score
See, I think the loss of Kemba will be greater than people realize, thats all. Ton of talent on UConn. Just curious if you guys think someone will be able to take over games like he could, and hit the game winner like he had a knack for. It'll be interesting to see how the season plays out. More talent across the nation than there has ever been in my eyes.
Uconn was 9-9 in the league last year with Kemba - I think they will do better than that.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Upstate, I'm with you. People are, IMO, underestimating the impact of losing Kemba.

2 years ago, we lost practically every single close game. Least clutch UConn team I've ever seen.

Last year, we won all those games. Kemba was the reason why.

So yeah, I'm concerned, especially about end-of-game situations. I don't want Napier trying to take the last shot, and Lamb's great but he can't break down people off the dribble like Kemba could. Kemba simply carried us.

HAVING SAID THAT, I do think that we have more overall talent on this squad, when you consider all of the improvements by our players plus the addition of AD, DD and RB. But we'll lose some heartbreakers. Hopefully not in March though!

Reaction Score
See, I think the loss of Kemba will be greater than people realize, thats all. Ton of talent on UConn. Just curious if you guys think someone will be able to take over games like he could, and hit the game winner like he had a knack for. It'll be interesting to see how the season plays out. More talent across the nation than there has ever been in my eyes.

Kemba was great, he was great from the start and everyone allowed the Kemba Show to take place when the game was on the line. They actually went out of their way at times to find Kemba and deliver the ball to him seemingly too often. Well good news is they already know as of Oct 15th he is not there. They have plenty of talent to recover and will win games by committee or Lamb. Also what people forget is this team will be really really good on defense as it was down the stretch. Kemba was a good defender but not great and the improvement of Bazz, Lamb, Oriahki, Roscoe and Giffey was spectacular and they bought into the defensive world which is Storrs and JC. They locked people down and made possesssions tough at best - now add Bradley, Drummond, Daniels and Boatright they get faster and longer. They will not need as many dramatic "game-winners" if they play defense the way they are capable. They play it better than anyone and if the rookies buy in to the plan they will be scary on that end alone. The offense will be fine!!!

Reaction Score
If we have any chance at a FF this year we will not be in as many close games as last year- if we are- we will not sniff the FF.

Defense Defense Defense. If this team is as good as we hope it will be we have a chance to be the best defensive team in the country- or right there at the top- play good D and let the O develop as the season progresses. I will be very happy if we shut other teams down enough to win games early and the offense picks up later.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My wife and I just spent the last four days watching the BE tournament. Lest we forget, Kemba smashed the record for all time scoring in that tournament.

On defense Kemba was the best on ball defender for the team. He didn't always play the opponents best player, but I think that was deliberate to reduce his chances of getting into foul trouble. When he did play the best player he was mostly glued to his player. I can't say the same for Jeremy or Shabazz.

He was also incredibly good at getting rebounds, both on the offensive and defensive ends, which Shabazz has not demonstrated his freshman year. I'm less concerned with this particular loss because CO and Jamal Coombs-McDaniel were poor rebounders and Kemba was needed to offset their weakness. I believe AD and DD will be significant upgrades in rebounding and provide more than enough to offset Kemba's loss in rebounding.

On Kemba's offense there is very little that can be said which people don't know. He could drive to the basket and complete as good as anyone in college bb. His handle was incredible and his mid range game was outstanding. His only weakness was his 3 point shooting and even that was respectable. He was a good passer. He was not as good a pg as MW, DS, AJP or KEA. His mindset was focused on getting to the basket. But the lack of seeing the floor and getting the ball to other players was more than offset by his ability to create for himself and score or get fouled.

I watched Shabazz running the team. He sees the floor much better than Kemba and he should develop into a much better passer. He may ultimately be a better 3 point shooter. The big problem is his handle and speed at getting to the basket. He had a lot of problems losing the ball when trying to drive past his defender. And he takes a lot of time getting the offense set in the half court.

If I compared his offensive game to anyone it would have to be AJ's his first season as a Husky, although not as good as AJ in hitting the 3 or driving to the basket. The offense bogged down during the time Kemba sat out in the Ville game. Although a good part of that bogging down was due to the miscues in passing by RS and turnovers by JL. The big difference between Shabazz and AJ their first seasons was AJ did not have Kemba to give the ball to as the clock wound down.

On defense he is ahead of AJ's first season considerably. And Shabazz has incredibly quick hands to cause steals or turnovers.

It will be interesting to see how much Shabazz can improve this season. He will have to speed up his playmaking in the half court otherwise UConn will end up with the clock running down and taking last second shots. My money is Shabazz will improve to approximate the level of AJ's second season. I'm with Nomar and think it is a blessing in disguise the first part of the season isn't challenging. If Shabazz does become this AJ type player, this will be another incredible season.

As a side note, I couldn't believe how much CO and DB contributed in helping UConn in that five game streak.

Reaction Score
Just my personal opinion, but I think many in the media are really underselling the significance of losing Kemba. He's really a once-every-30-years kind of player. Do you guys feel the same way? Do you think his leadership and fire are going to be missed, and this fact is getting thrown to the wayside? Or is someone, or everyone cumulatively, is going to be able to step up in that regard? Kemba had huge stones. Just doesn't seem that easy to replace a guy like him. Excited for GameDay.
Certainly Kemba will be missed. BUT I think the experience and growth (they say the best thing about Freshmen / rookies is that they become Sophomores) of last year's freshman class - Napier, Olander, Giffey, Lamb, Smith, Wolf - cannot be understated. Then on top of that you add and outstanding incoming class with an incredible talent leading the way, and you bring back a solid guy like Oriakhi, and that could be enough to overcome such a loss.

The fact really is that we don't know how the team will respond to the biggest loss, and that is Kemba's leadership. As good as he was ON the court - points and assists can be replaced - what he really brought to the team was intangible. They can definitely make up the points and the assists, but what about the leadership ? What about team chemistry ? Overall, as I said above, this team may be good enough - talent wise - that it doesn't need that kind of leadership, and they can overcome the loss of Walker.

Reaction Score
Hi Dead- good seeing you over here on the new site.

The NBA lockout may not help any team in the country more then UCONN because Kemba has been with the team and "coaching them" as much as it has been possible. I am sure the conversations are different then last year-but with such a young team it has to help having Ray and Kemba basically living in Storrs a and working with the team.

Reaction Score
Just curious if you guys think someone will be able to take over games like he could, and hit the game winner like he had a knack for.
Lamb already showed that ability last season. Is it possible he'll feel more pressure this year and regress ? I suppose that's possible, though I highly doubt it. Napier also showed a knack for that, and while he may not have MADE as many as he took, he was certainly not shy about trying to be clutch. I think they'll be fine as far as "clutch" performers go.

Reaction Score
2 years ago, we lost practically every single close game. Least clutch UConn team I've ever seen.

Last year, we won all those games. Kemba was the reason why.
Simply not true. They lost 9 games in conference, including losses to ND by 3 (twice), Louisville by 1 in OT, and Marquette by 7 in OT. The simple fact is, they did not win all those games. AND, the argument could be made that in at least a couple of those close games, they may have been TOO reliant on Kemba.

Reaction Score
Whether the team is better in single possession is debatable but I doubt it. I don't think there will be nearly as many game coming down to the last shot, though.

Reaction Score
Hi Dead- good seeing you over here on the new site.

The NBA lockout may not help any team in the country more then UCONN because Kemba has been with the team and "coaching them" as much as it has been possible. I am sure the conversations are different then last year-but with such a young team it has to help having Ray and Kemba basically living in Storrs a and working with the team.
Totally agree here. The last time they had a work stoppage it was no coincidence that they won a championship. With all the NBA guys contributing this fall, the impact should be extensive.

BTW, thanks for noticing!

Reaction Score
I've heard there's a 6' PG walk-on guard with a large, conspicuous mustache named Ken Walton who's looking VERY impressive in practice.

AWESOME

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
Kemba was the fortunate recipient of a couple of factors;
his game and leadership abilities,
his playing on an incredibly young team that looked to him for leadership and was willing to follow,
his performances giving the youngsters time to develop,
his "game winners" (hit many more than he missed)

By the time the BET started, the team was basically mid pack in the BE, a likely Tourney Team, but nothing special. That Kemba was who he was, did what he did, and in a timeframe that allowed the youth to gel; that's what lead to that special season.
This year the recipe will be different. Others on the team are familiar with the BE (the physical game, the night in and night out "bring your best or lose") and the experience of one and done tourney play.

Kemba doesn't have to replaced - the needs of this year's squad will be different. Those needs will either be filled or not - that's why we watch the games.....

Reaction Score
Why do we throw the GREAT word around. Kemba had a year to remember. He hit some amazing last second shots. He averaged over 20pts. His shot improved over his previous years. He certainly evolved into THE LEADER on the team. I loved the guy, but GREAT? JC dig a magnificent job coaching and I must admit, that over the years I questioned his substitution philosophy. Last year though, he made all the right moves. His utilization of BAZZ was masterful. The team chemistry was very good, and the guard coaching was super.Bazz will be the leader this year, but JC will be the reason they have a another run. As Special as Kemba was, so too were his supporting cast. I feel this will be a special year too.

Reaction Score
Why do we throw the GREAT word around. Kemba had a year to remember. He hit some amazing last second shots. He averaged over 20pts. His shot improved over his previous years. He certainly evolved into THE LEADER on the team. I loved the guy, but GREAT? JC dig a magnificent job coaching and I must admit, that over the years I questioned his substitution philosophy. Last year though, he made all the right moves. His utilization of BAZZ was masterful. The team chemistry was very good, and the guard coaching was super.Bazz will be the leader this year, but JC will be the reason they have a another run. As Special as Kemba was, so too were his supporting cast. I feel this will be a special year too.

Kemba was great. I think Jim Calhoun would be the first person to tell you that. Jim is a great coach and I think the emergence of several of last year's "diamond in the rough" recruits are testament to that fact, but I also think, and I think JC would agree, that the fact that last years team was able to gel the way they did, and go on such a magical run had more to do with #15 than some people even realize.

Yes there were growing pains during the Big East season as the team adjusted to being overly reliant on Kemba (as opposing defenses packed the middle with zones to prevent him from getting to the rim), but Kemba made his teamates better on the court and off. Whether it was opening space for Lamb to become his side-kick scorer, opening the lane for Oriakhi to clean the glass, or just pushing his teammates to become as good as they could be. Kemba was great.

That said this years team will be very good. I think the fact that Lamb will be ready to step up this season, and Shabazz and Oriakhi will be ready to lead will be a testament to Kemba's greatness, not detract from it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

While I agree the word 'great' is thrown around all too often....

If Kemba (2010-11) was not 'great', then who was/is?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Simply not true. They lost 9 games in conference, including losses to ND by 3 (twice), Louisville by 1 in OT, and Marquette by 7 in OT. The simple fact is, they did not win all those games. AND, the argument could be made that in at least a couple of those close games, they may have been TOO reliant on Kemba.

Well obviously we lost 9 games. But the team played like crap, and most of the time we were facing larger deficits rather than squandering leads or playing poorly down the stretch. The Louisville game was notable for how it stands out in retrospect.

I stand by what I said. Last year's team was the clutchest UConn team ever. When the game was close, I knew we'd win. That's a year after knowing we would lose if we didn't have a 6 point lead with a minute to go.

The team got better when Lamb became a real #2. It took a while for that to happen.

Too reliant? That's second guessing and it assumes the Lamb of March. We had a bad stretch, that's all. We weren't choking away games, we were just losing them. This season we may blow a lot more people out, but down the stretch in games I worry about replacing Kemba as a clutch 1-on-1 player. People who aren't are in for a rude awakening, I think.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
While I agree the word 'great' is thrown around all too often....

If Kemba (2010-11) was not 'great', then who was/is?

I don't know if I have ever disagreed with a post more than I disagree with sparky's. Wow. Just wow.

Not since 1988 has a player put a title team on his back like Kemba did last year. No, he didn't win every game by himself, but give me a break. Kemba's season was the finest season I have ever seen from a UConn player. Not statistically. But in terms of what he did to win games and make the entire team better.

Reaction Score

Spock Not Impressed by Kemba.jpg

UC NC.jpg

Reaction Score
The hope is that between Shabazz, Oriakhi, Lamb and Boatright they will each step up and fill the void collectively. Kemba had an unreal Jr. year and I can only think of a few others who were so important to their team in a championship run. Danny Manning in 88 comes to mind, and perhaps John Wallace from Syracuse in the final 4 run in 96.

Glen Rice in 89.

Reaction Score
Kemba was great. I think Jim Calhoun would be the first person to tell you that. Jim is a great coach and I think the emergence of several of last year's "diamond in the rough" recruits are testament to that fact, but I also think, and I think JC would agree, that the fact that last years team was able to gel the way they did, and go on such a magical run had more to do with #15 than some people even realize.

Yes there were growing pains during the Big East season as the team adjusted to being overly reliant on Kemba (as opposing defenses packed the middle with zones to prevent him from getting to the rim), but Kemba made his teamates better on the court and off. Whether it was opening space for Lamb to become his side-kick scorer, opening the lane for Oriakhi to clean the glass, or just pushing his teammates to become as good as they could be. Kemba was great.

That said this years team will be very good. I think the fact that Lamb will be ready to step up this season, and Shabazz and Oriakhi will be ready to lead will be a testament to Kemba's greatness, not detract from it.
"Kemba made his teamates better on the court and off."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2011/columns/story?columnist=oneil_dana&id=6294312

I felt this article was worth re-posting most likely to the dismay of some who have already read it. This type of leadership and the camaraderie that ultimately surfaced on last years team was precedent setting for the UConn program. It was all because of #15 Kemba "EZ-Pass" Walker. How did the year before turn out? Just my opinion for what its worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom