Question About Boeheim's Presser | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Question About Boeheim's Presser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I suspect there is a good chance that if you gave Boeheim truth serum, and asked him whether he thinks Fine is guilty, he would say no. That's likely why he repeatedly and emphatically stated during his press conference that we will find out what happened on his watch after the investigation is completed.
Then why did he come out with a statement which was a complete reversal of his previous statement, the same day when the audio tape came out?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The only reason he may become "collateral damage from a situation created by one of his colleagues" Is for what HE said. As for now, it seems as if JB had no knowledge of the abuse. However, it was the way he handled it and what he said about the abuse and the victims, not for what his colleagues did. If he kept his mouth shut until all the facts were presented, JB would not be taking all this criticism right now. And your going to tell me if he acted more sincere towards the victims (which he has not done at all, besides releasing a BS statment) during the presser it would offend some people who thought he "said the right thing." Give me a break!

As for him being fired, I may be taking it too far as I am a little biased due to my strong dislike of Syracuse.
I actually agree that his lack of sincerity and compassion for the victims can cost JB if this mess continues to grow, which I think it will. My statement was that there is no decent way of handling this. If he shows too much compassion to the victims he's perceived by Cuse fans and certain people as someone who throws one of his best friends under the bus at the first hint of controversy to save his own *ss.

His first reaction when this story broke was his most natural. Many of us would have reacted in a similar manner, not believing the accusation of someone we hardly know over someone we've known for years. But it did open up a can of worms for Boeheim and now he is struggling to do damage control. It is obvious he is having mixed results with that damage control in the court of public opinion.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
And he said he didn't listen to the tape.
I want him to listen to the part about Fine's nightly routine.
Where did he say this? I listened the interview and I thought he did say he listened to the tape.

Reaction Score
I actually agree that his lack of sincerity and compassion for the victims can cost JB if this mess continues to grow, which I think it will. My statement was that there is no decent way of handling this. If he shows too much compassion to the victims he's perceived by Cuse fans and certain people as someone who throws one of his best friends under the bus at the first hint of controversy to save his own *ss.

His first reaction when this story broke was his most natural. Many of us would have reacted in a similar manner, not believing the accusation of someone we hardly know over someone we've known for years. But it did open up a can of worms for Boeheim and now he is struggling to do damage control. It is obvious he is having mixed results with that damage control in the court of public opinion.

I see where your coming from. Although what he said was wrong, its hard to imagine what any of us would say if we were put in the same situation. I can only hope I would have not reacted the same way, but if I strongly believed the accusations against my best friend were beyond ridiculous, you never know how one will react.

Reaction Score
What does it say that he talked of his loyalty to Fine and never listened to the tape? Then he said the victim's allegations haven't been verified. And finally he made the point that ballboys don't travel with the team. Why say that?
If that fact is indeed true - ballboys do not travel with the team - that is a fairly important fact, don't you think ? Since all three current accusers claim to have traveled with the team.

Reaction Score
My view is that Boeheim has already done enough to show he is not sufficiently aware of the gravity of the situation. He is dismissive about the things on the tape, and I'm not sure I buy that he is aware of everything on the tape. In fact, I often hear people only talk about the ESPN played part of the tape, and not the more salacious parts. He's claimed that he never brought up the allegations with Fine. That he never listened to the tape. That it's not his job. But these are similar to Paterno's claims. Now, I don't think Paterno would have been fired had it not been for the fundamental difference between Cuse and PSU, and that is the eyewitness reports. But I would go beyond that if one equates McQueary with Laurie Fine as eyewitnesses, and that is this: what is missing from the Cuse case is rhythmic slaps, anal rape and perhaps what Dana O'Neil said this morning: Bobby Davis is 39 year old.

So, Boeheim survives, even though I think his behavior and emphasis on plausible deniability is a problem. But, if some rhythmic slaps are revealed in the coming weeks, then he's gone whether or not he knew. Why? Because burying his head in the sand allowed a serial predator to do his thing. This isn't PSU yet, but it may come to that.
Am I missing the part where Laurie Fine went to Boeheim and told him about Bernie molesting ballboys ? Because if that didn't happen, then McQueary and Laurie Fine have nothing in common whatsoever with respect to the head coach.

Reaction Score
If that fact is indeed true - ballboys do not travel with the team - that is a fairly important fact, don't you think ? Since all three current accusers claim to have traveled with the team.
They claimed to have traveled with the team, but did they claim to have traveled as ball boys? Somewhere I've read that Davis would sometimes travel with Bernie to serve as a Babysitter.

Reaction Score
Jimbo Gotta Go. What he did was inexcusable. As I've been told, most child abuse victims are afraid to come forward because they fear people will not believe their accusations. Which is exactly what JB did. But he took it even further, publicly calling him a liar and out for the money. As Pat Forde mentions JB kept saying “we have to wait” until the investigation plays out. Well, JB did not wait when he made his statement about the accusers. And how can people think his apology to the victims is sincere? He released that statement that the school or his attorney probably wrote for him. Did you hear him express and sympathy for the victims during the press conference? Or remorse for what he said last week? NO. Instead JB went out and said how he was proud he supported his friend. JB was wrong and clearly does not understand how serious this situation is.
And nowhere in the job description for college basketball coach does it say anything about "creating an atmosphere where victims of child abuse feel free to come forward", nor does it even include any reference to being some kind of humanitarian. These ancillary charges are not going to get Boeheim fired, nor should they.

Reaction Score
And nowhere in the job description for college basketball coach does it say anything about "creating an atmosphere where victims of child abuse feel free to come forward", nor does it even include any reference to being some kind of humanitarian. These ancillary charges are not going to get Boeheim fired, nor should they.
So according to you in the job description it says to attack possible victims of child abuse by calling them liars and gold diggers! Are you serious? As head coach of a a college basketball team, you are a direct representation of you school and are responsible for carrying yourself in a respectable manner. Being at a well known university such as Syracuse, you are always in the spotlight and are expected to handle things the right way, which he clearly did not.

Reaction Score
The frightening similarity between Paterno and Boeheim is that both don't seem to grasp the severity of the issues they're facing. This is can be seen in the way that JB started off his press conference with a tasteless joke (as if it were just a basketball related issue), and the way that Joepa concluded his student rally with, "beat Nebraska" (as if football was the most pressing matter at hand). Having seen the precedent which Penn State set, it's amazing that JB hasn't learned anything from JP's mistakes.

If JB can't see past his own ego, and can't show any compassion for the victims, the least he can do is keep his mouth shut and continue to allow the Syracuse lawyers to carefully craft "his" statements. Right now he's his own worst enemy.

Reaction Score
I'd have to agree that he isn't behaving in a manner that you'd expect from somebody who is potentially drowning.

Perhaps it's a mentality that is derived from 30 years of being the king of your own fiefdom. Perhaps he just can't get his arms around the notion that, for maybe the first time in decades, he's not in control of his own immediate future.

Reaction Score
The frightening similarity between Paterno and Boeheim is that both don't seem to grasp the severity of the issues they're facing. This is can be seen in the way that JB started off his press conference with a tasteless joke (as if it were just a basketball related issue), and the way that Joepa concluded his student rally with, "beat Nebraska" (as if football was the most pressing matter at hand). Having seen the precedent which Penn State set, it's amazing that JB hasn't learned anything from JP's mistakes.

If JB can't see past his own ego, and can't show any compassion for the victims, the least he can do is keep his mouth shut and continue to allow the Syracuse lawyers to carefully craft "his" statements. Right now he's his own worst enemy.

I must say I disagree on comparing JB with JoePa....Joe Pa is an arrogant man, used his influence in a big way to create a God-like aura around him. JB doesn't seem to care about that or would he be that way. He has it because of his success but does not flaunt it. JoePa did. I really think JB is being genuine and I'm guessing its not easy on him to have to answer questions about his friend and coach of 36 years in this situation!!

Reaction Score

All three accusers were not ballboys who claimed to have traveled with the team. Only Davis makes that claim. The 3rd kid wasn't a ballboy, Lang the second never made that claim.

Ya see, this is what I'm saying. His statement can be construed to mean that he contests whether or not Davis was abused.
It doesn't mean that necessarily, but given Laurie Fine's tape in which she describes her husband telling her to go upstairs each night and check on the kids, while he went down to the basement where Davis slept, why in the world would anyone be doubting Davis's story at this point? Only someone who didn't listen to the tape would throw cold water on Davis. As for the other two, there is no corroborating evidence in the public domain and either of them could be lying.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I see where your coming from. Although what he said was wrong, its hard to imagine what any of us would say if we were put in the same situation. I can only hope I would have not reacted the same way, but if I strongly believed the accusations against my best friend were beyond ridiculous, you never know how one will react.
Exactly. His reaction was from honest shock and incredulity. It turns out, based on further information that wasn't available initially, to have been a horrible response which had a damaging result to victims. The big question no one is asking is why did ESPN wait several days to air the tape after breaking the story.

I think a lot of of people need to focus on ESPN in this story. They had the tape and did not give it to the police when they received it eight years ago. They should have. And once they got the corroboration and decided to go public with the story, they held back from releasing the tape again for several days. The only reason for this is they wanted to milk the story. They didn't want to show the public all the information at once because our attention span is limited. Not many people are following the PSU story with as close scrutiny as when it first broke out. So they timed the release purely for prurient interests and in doing this they created the scenario for JB's remarks. It is journalism at it's worst and I think the public has an opportunity to make a statement about this.

Reaction Score
Am I missing the part where Laurie Fine went to Boeheim and told him about Bernie molesting ballboys ? Because if that didn't happen, then McQueary and Laurie Fine have nothing in common whatsoever with respect to the head coach.

All it takes is for Boeheim to listen to the tape. What other conclusion is there?

Reaction Score
Then why did he come out with a statement which was a complete reversal of his previous statement, the same day when the audio tape came out?

That statement was for public relations, and I very much doubt the school gave him an option when it was put in front of him.

Reaction Score
Exactly. His reaction was from honest shock and incredulity. It turns out, based on further information that wasn't available initially, to have been a horrible response which had a damaging result to victims. The big question no one is asking is why did ESPN wait several days to air the tape after breaking the story.

I think a lot of of people need to focus on ESPN in this story. They had the tape and did not give it to the police when they received it eight years ago. They should have. And once they got the corroboration and decided to go public with the story, they held back from releasing the tape again for several days. The only reason for this is they wanted to milk the story. They didn't want to show the public all the information at once because our attention span is limited. Not many people are following the PSU story with as close scrutiny as when it first broke out. So they timed the release purely for prurient interests and in doing this they created the scenario for JB's remarks. It is journalism at it's worst and I think the public has an opportunity to make a statement about this.

This remains to be seen. It's been reported that the police and the Feds also have the tape. Who has analyzed and authenticated it? Laurie Fine claims it was doctored. Someone must have analyzed it. You may be right about ESPN but there is all sorts of info that they might not be able to provide about the behind the scenes interactions with the police and the Feds.

Just today, the Syracuse Post-Standard declared that their reporters on this case are not to discuss the case in public (which is weird).

Reaction Score
I must say I disagree on comparing JB with JoePa....Joe Pa is an arrogant man, used his influence in a big way to create a God-like aura around him. JB doesn't seem to care about that or would he be that way. He has it because of his success but does not flaunt it. JoePa did. I really think JB is being genuine and I'm guessing its not easy on him to have to answer questions about his friend and coach of 36 years in this situation!!

I understand where you're coming from, I just think that JB would be better off if he at least read "his" press release from Sunday before speaking again...

Especially when his written views (which the University Chancellor backs him on), differ from his verbal comments (the ones which put him at risk in the first place). Either JB has a split personality, or he didn't write that apologetic statement...

Reaction Score
And he said he didn't listen to the tape.
I want him to listen to the part about Fine's nightly routine.

I read the transcript, and it isn't quite the smoking gun everyone believes it is. That's why both ESPN and the Post Standard did not air it (a decision I am somewhat more sympathetic to after reading the whole thing myself). To be honest, while I lean towards the view that Bernie Fine is guilty, I am not as certain as everyone else.

Reaction Score
That statement was for public relations, and I very much doubt the school gave him an option when it was put in front of him.

I may buy that, given last night's press conference. He didn't double down on Fine, but he emphasized numerous times that he still had doubts about the accusations.

Reaction Score
I read the transcript, and it isn't quite the smoking gun everyone believes it is. That's why both ESPN and the Post Standard did not air it (a decision I am somewhat more sympathetic to after reading the whole thing myself). To be honest, while I lean towards the view that Bernie Fine is guilty, I am not as certain as everyone else.

The stuff about Laurie and Bernie's nightly routine wasn't convincing?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
This remains to be seen. It's been reported that the police and the Feds also have the tape. Who has analyzed and authenticated it? Laurie Fine claims it was doctored. Someone must have analyzed it. You may be right about ESPN but there is all sorts of info that they might not be able to provide about the behind the scenes interactions with the police and the Feds.

Just today, the Syracuse Post-Standard declared that their reporters on this case are not to discuss the case in public (which is weird).
I'm not certain on the timeline but it seems the police got involved after the story broke and the feds got involved after the tape was released. So it begs the question, why didn't ESPN release the tape the same day they chose to break the story?

Reaction Score
So many valid and interesting points made on a very serious situation and as I read the various posts on this issu In trying to wrap my head around this and what happened and the behavior of some people. I do waver , I must say but the behavior of JB during all this has not been good. Obviously Fine is the bad guy here and you could throw his loony wife in there also but as one poster had said playing the Sgt. Schultz I hear nothing , I know nothing, I see nothing makes him out to be flaky if nothing else IMhumbleO. There is more to come so we will see how it all shakes out.

Reaction Score
I'm not certain on the timeline but it seems the police got involved after the story broke and the feds got involved after the tape was released. So it begs the question, why didn't ESPN release the tape the same day they chose to break the story?

According to ESPN, the case did not start with ESPN breaking the Davis accusations. It started with the police reopening the investigation after Penn State. I don't know when the police got a hold of the tape, but if you read the Cuse board, the posters there have been talking about the tape for a week or more before it was revealed on Sunday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom