Qudus Wahab | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Qudus Wahab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wouldn’t be surprised if Hurley went Karim Coulibaly or a grad transfer if we miss out. I think Wahab is as much a Pitt lean as Akok was a UConn lean. Cockburn might be 50% UConn but that’s not certain. Precious feels like Memphis or some other big program.

Reaction Score
my best pal is a UK fan and he's already apologizing for stealing kofi right out from under us...

nick richards is garb-age and Cal loves having multiple centers on the roster, just look at 2015 with karl towns, dakari johnson and cauley stein

i'd like to see hurley circle the wagons around tre mitchell and a grad-transfer (any reid travis types available next year?)

Reaction Score
Cal wants guys he can put in the NBA immediately. Every guy that comes and doesn't leave immediately interrupts the flow of recruits and is able to be used against him in negative recruiting. He doesn't develop guys, so if their stock isn't elevated by the collected talent, they don't make it.

Like the aforementioned Nick Richards, Kofi is an anachronism and not a sure fit in the modern NBA. IF he dominates, he'll make it, but NBA guys won't rush him for his potential. This scares Cal, especially since he already has Richards (who has good numbers, but he just can't play him extended minutes).

Reaction Score
I'll keep beating the continuity drum and say I wish we could convince Wahab we have history and culture on our side versus the lackluster history at Pitt and the unknowns about a coach who couldn't get it done at his last head coaching job. Of course, Belichick was a failure at his first job.

Get a good three or four year guy who you can build around with other solid guys plus a couple short term stars and you win more so than Kentucky. Duke seems to be able to get so many at once that they have done better but we don't need to try to be Duke.

Reaction Score
I'll keep beating the continuity drum and say I wish we could convince Wahab we have history and culture on our side versus the lackluster history at Pitt and the unknowns about a coach who couldn't get it done at his last head coaching job. Of course, Belichick was a failure at his first job.

Get a good three or four year guy who you can build around with other solid guys plus a couple short term stars and you win more so than Kentucky. Duke seems to be able to get so many at once that they have done better but we don't need to try to be Duke.
Staff wants Kofi.

Reaction Score
Wouldn’t be surprised if Hurley went Karim Coulibaly or a grad transfer if we miss out. I think Wahab is as much a Pitt lean as Akok was a UConn lean. Cockburn might be 50% UConn but that’s not certain. Precious feels like Memphis or some other big program.
"If we miss out" really doesn't apply here. Wahab isn't the type of priority that Kofi or Mitchell are. Hurley wouldn't take Wahab today given the position we're in with both of those guys. Wahab won't be going to UConn, but there's a much higher chance than 50% that someone better does.

Reaction Score
"If we miss out" really doesn't apply here. Wahab isn't the type of priority that Kofi or Mitchell are. Hurley wouldn't take Wahab today given the position we're in with both of those guys. Wahab won't be going to UConn, but there's a much higher chance than 50% that someone better does.
Yeah I didn’t mean it like that. I know he’s not coming her regardless. I totally forgot about Mitchell as well

Reaction Score
is it silly of me to want to land wahab right now (if hurley can, just to be safe) AND THEN try to get one of kofi/tre/precious with the last scholly?

UK, for example, has 5-star guys coming off the bench every year and that doesn't stop them from committing- like montgomery this year and jared vanderbilt last year

as a borderline 3/4 star wahab shouldn't scare off kofi or tre and precious doesn't play the same position.

the only downside i can see here is not being able to fulfill the dream scenario of getting both precious AND either kofi/tre...

but seriously what are the odds of BOTH those things happening? all three guys could easily land elsewhere meaning carlton will be the starting center again if we dont go hard for wahab...

i'm just a better safe than sorry kinda guy

Last edited:
Reaction Score
is it silly of me to want to land wahab right now (if hurley can, just to be safe) AND THEN try to get one of kofi/tre/precious with the last scholly?

UK, for example, has 5-star guys coming off the bench every year and that doesn't stop them from committing- like montgomery this year and jared vanderbilt last year

as a borderline 3/4 star wahab shouldn't scare off kofi or tre and precious doesn't play the same position.

the only downside i can see here is not being able to fulfill the dream scenario of getting both precious AND either kofi/tre...

but seriously what are the odds of BOTH those things happening? all three guys could easily land elsewhere meaning carlton will be the starting center again if we dont go hard for wahab...

i'm just a better safe than sorry kinda guy

While I personally agree on the safer than sorry issue (never made money gambling on anything), based on results achieved so far, we should trust Hurley's philosophy.

He appears to be using much the same strategy as Geno by going all in on a limited number of players he believes will fit what he wants to do. Three out of three is not too shabby and there were others that were supposedly signed sealed and delivered for other schools (Dawes, Wong) who waited to see what UConn would do regarding their position.

If he gets PA and KC no one on this site should question anything he does for at least 20 minutes.

Reaction Score
my best pal is a UK fan and he's already apologizing for stealing kofi right out from under us...

nick richards is garb-age and Cal loves having multiple centers on the roster, just look at 2015 with karl towns, dakari johnson and cauley stein

i'd like to see hurley circle the wagons around tre mitchell and a grad-transfer (any reid travis types available next year?)

UK is yesterdays news. It's Duke and then everyone else

Reaction Score
UK is yesterdays news. It's Duke and then everyone else

what part of my above post are you nitpicking? the UK roster examples are from the past two seasons so they're still relevant.

i was late to the party with the kofi-uk news but my point above still stands

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just saw on Twitter that UConn will be in to see QW tomorrow to make their final recruiting pitch. He will announce on Thursday

Reaction Score
there is no reason the staff shouldn’t be gunning to get wahab. He could be a GREAT four year big.

Kofi won’t turn down a school because of Wahab. And wahab is an extremely valuable big to land in the event kofi wants to go to Kentucky anyways.

As for scholarships, kofi and PA are 5 stars. Spots will open up for them if they wan to play for UConn. There is at least one player Hurley would have no problem being brutally honest with and giving them the PT lowdown. It’s the right thing to do. So the moral of the story is grab this kid if you can, then enjoy the rollercoaster of 5 star recruiting

Reaction Score
Armstrong barely played on that team, and they didn't all come into the program at the same time. Is every old person like you?

See Smoothcriminal's post. It might help you understand why the four first round draft picks I cited would go to a school at which they believed they would develop and grow as players, regardless of who is already there or committed.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I originally figured we wanted to use the 5 schollies to fill out one at each position (PG- Gaffney, SG Bouk, SF-Precious, PF-Akok, C-Kofi). Now that I think about it, maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing to get 2 centers in, if possible. Polley, Sid and Vital pretty adequately fill the wing position, especially with another year under their belt at this time next year. If we just bring in Kofi, we are still pretty thin at the true center position with Cobb leaving.
Point Guard- Rique, Gaffney
Wing/Forward/Guard tweeners- Sid, Polley, Vital, Bouk, Brendan
Forward- Akok, Diarra, Whaley
Center- Kofi, Wahab, Carlton

I'm not going to speculate on transfers but it wouldn't be the most shocking thing if even another schollie opened, in which case we go hunting for Precious or bring in a Wing/Forward grad transfer.

I'm guessing the staff still want 1 Center (Kofi) and Precious, but maybe the best bet is load up at the Center position and then trust our group of wings.

Reaction Score
If Wahab commits to Pitt it only helps us with Kofi, unless Kan$as or L$U jump in and get on him strong I don't think we should worry much about the other teams in his top 8

Reaction Score
I don't think we're going to get him. I'd put us in like... 3rd for him. Love this guy as a better version of Carlton.. really good four year piece to have.

I'd much, much, much, much rather have Cockburn or Aciuwa.

Reaction Score
I don't think we're going to get him. I'd put us in like... 3rd for him. Love this guy as a better version of Carlton.. really good four year piece to have.

I'd much, much, much, much rather have Cockburn or Aciuwa.
He’s totally different than Carlton. He’s a defensive stopper who is significantly more athletic.

Reaction Score
He’s totally different than Carlton. He’s a defensive stopper who is significantly more athletic.

OK.

I'd still much rather have the other two. Would love to have all three, but more those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom