Quarterbacks Mike Beaudry, Steven Krajewski, Micah Leon ‘excited’ to compete for UConn starting job (Putterman) | The Boneyard

Quarterbacks Mike Beaudry, Steven Krajewski, Micah Leon ‘excited’ to compete for UConn starting job (Putterman)

Reaction Score
Quarterbacks Mike Beaudry, Steven Krajewski, Micah Leon ‘excited’ to compete for UConn starting job

>>As UConn enters its summer training camp (which begins Wednesday and will last about four weeks), three quarterbacks appear to be competing for the gig. There’s Mike Beaudry, a graduate transfer from Division II West Florida with two years of eligibility remaining. There’s Steven Krajewski, a redshirt freshman who appeared ever-so-briefly at the end of last season. And there’s Micah Leon, who walked on at North Carolina State before transferring to UConn this summer.<<

>>At UConn’s media day event Tuesday, Huskies quarterbacks coach Mike Moyseenko offered a scouting report on each member of the trio:

• On Beaudry: “Mike is a very intelligent, mature guy that’s gonna try to make the most of his opportunity. He’s got a very strong arm, he’s knowledgeable about the game, and he knows he doesn’t have many times left to do this, so he’s gonna make the most of the opportunity.”
  • On Leon: "Bigger than guys we’ve had in the past. Big kid, arm talent is ridiculous. He can really throw the ball. He can make any throw on the field. And he’s also very smart. He was in a very, very good offense at N.C. State for two years, and he knows football.
  • On Krajewski: “This spring we flooded Steven with reps. There were only two quarterbacks. And he got to live through a lot of good things, a lot of rough things and learn from both good and bad. He’s working really hard in the weight room. He’s in a good place mentally and physically to go and compete for the job.”<<
>>Though there’s no timetable for choosing a starter, the coordinator implied that the Huskies will open the season with a single quarterback, not any sort of platoon.<<

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
How many years does Leon have left? The tea leaves above make it sound like it's between Beaudry and Leon.

Reaction Score
Bryant Shirreffs was a steal. Also from NC State. They had him nudged to FB/HBack role.

He was a real solid plug when we needed him. Regardless of record, he produced. Both Beaudry & Leon have that opportunity. The notion that they can get on the field & produce ... is a huge motivator for a QB leader. There’s no leading indicator. But there was a broad group of guys UCONN could have brought onto the roster ... we need them to produce. If Krajewski steps up, more power to him as he actually won the competition.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Those comments make it sound like Steven Krajewski isn’t very good. Rough look for edsall saying he was better than Dan O lol. Intrigued by Leon based on that quote. I would’ve liked to have someone ask if 250 is the playing weight they’d like Beaudry at. He’s a massive dude and I’m not sure if that’s just his body composition naturally or if he has some progress to make with conditioning

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Can I be honest? Until I see our defense -- you know -- actually stop somebody, I find it very hard to generate enthusiasm over who will be our QB.

Especially when our offense is likely to be ground focused anyway. QB just needs to not make mistakes and be enough of a threat to keep the defense honest.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Those comments make it sound like Steven Krajewski isn’t very good. Rough look for edsall saying he was better than Dan O lol. Intrigued by Leon based on that quote. I would’ve liked to have someone ask if 250 is the playing weight they’d like Beaudry at. He’s a massive dude and I’m not sure if that’s just his body composition naturally or if he has some progress to make with conditioning

I was confused by the comment on Leon. “Big Kid. Bigger than guys we had in the past”. Give how big Beaudry is, how freaking big is Leon? Those quotes seemed misplaced.

Reaction Score
Y’all are getting hyped up over someone from a major school that never played a snap? Had no division 1 offers out of high school. I’m confused by it.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I was confused by the comment on Leon. “Big Kid. Bigger than guys we had in the past”. Give how big Beaudry is, how freaking big is Leon? Those quotes seemed misplaced.

That’s what I was wondering too. Might mean his height? He’s 6’5” but only 215 pounds

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
No matter what, Edsall needs to emphasis to these three to give it their max, even if they dont get the starting job right away because Beaudry has a serious injury history, Leon is untested and Steven Krajewski is young. Whoever emerges against Wagner might not hold the job all season and that might not be because of poor play, but because of injury. All three need to commit and be fully ready for Wagner...and for all season.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Big arm who can make all the throws sounds great- until you see how he reacts in front of a live defense. Moyseenko gave Putzerman nothing. Moyseenko, for a young guy, has the coach speak down.

Reaction Score
Lot of people initially discounted Leon -- but I suspect NC State would have not put him on the list of QBs if he
didn't show a lot of promise. With him or another player at the helm, UConn has the chance for six wins!

Reaction Score
Definitely doesn't sound like Krajewski is ready yet
If he's been working on his game the past 4 months, let's hope he has a shot at the job... Learn as you go... He's seen everything before the rest of the pup QBs we now have on the roster. I hope it's been a glass half full thing for us with him.. Because if he can get it, and utilize his strengths in the system properly, it means we have a nice problem at the QB position in terms of competition...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If he's been working on his game the past 4 months, let's hope he has a shot at the job... Learn as you go... He's seen everything before the rest of the pup QBs we now have on the roster. I hope it's been a glass half full thing for us with him.. Because if he can get it, and utilize his strengths in the system properly, it means we have a nice problem at the QB position in terms of competition...

Yeah, I think the proper measured approach here is to appreciate the learning curve. Steven Krajewski may have had a modest spring ball (not really sure, but little was said which is a bit of a sign). However, we all know between the age of 18 and 22 most of us did a tremendous amount of physical and mental growing and so things could start to click for him this August in a big way. Lets see what August football delivers.

Reaction Score
Even Dan O said he was better than him coming out of high school. I have no idea what is going on but Randy never utilized him last year when he had the opportunity. I wouldn’t count this kid out just yet.

Reaction Score
Y’all are getting hyped up over someone from a major school that never played a snap? Had no division 1 offers out of high school. I’m confused by it.
I believe Beaudry’s only offer was from UWF.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Can I be honest? Until I see our defense -- you know -- actually stop somebody, I find it very hard to generate enthusiasm over who will be our QB.

True, but we can't expect any defensive improvement to also make up for an offensive regression. Pindell wasn't your prototype QB, but he put points on the board well enough.

Reaction Score
So Zzzzz ...

Reading about UMass going from Mark Whipple Pro-Set to a Spread run by young Walt Bell to be combined with a 3-3-5 Defense.

Playing really really fast. And then play Pass Happy playmaker opponents who just make Football look like a Jailbreak every series.

For me, that was the start. Your Offense has to allow the Defense to take a breath. Get stops. Make first downs. Control the game. We’ve been out of control for a few years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom