QB discussion ... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

QB discussion ...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't want to annoint Lagow any more but will say I thought he was a better QB than Cochran, Boyle , or Whitmer...
Maybe physically, but considering his fragile psyche, he turned out to be a less talented Jeff George.

Husky25

Reaction Score
What did he do after the Big Ten? Anything?
Don't know, but not exactly in the forefront of my thoughts either.

Reaction Score
lol

As an older guy, WE all hoped the generation after us would flood the boneyard. With lots of energy & digging for all those great recruiting stories. It happened.

Just didn’t expect you’d try to punk us on every darn thing. We have always rolled our eyes at the public persona of Edsall ... BUT I’m more convinced than ever that he has the calculated formula for putting this Team together. (Might feel different after week 2 - quite frankly)

I miss chats with the cubbybear

I don’t know what you’re talking about but your love for cubbybear, a guy who DESPISES UConn and RE, is just hilarious. Talk about being punked.

Reaction Score
Why we are talking about an eight year old QB competition, I don't know, but in hindsight, walk-on QB McEntee won the starting job over potentially more talented and deserving scholarship players through a well placed release of a substantially and grossly edited video of his throwing prowess.

[Forget] Justin Bieber. "Trick shot Johnny" was the first YouTube star.
I agree, move on its 2019!

Reaction Score
Two things:

-I would have liked to have seen Nebrich stay. Tough to get a read on a kid as a true freshman. Sure he transferred down to FCS before he became a star...but it's not like our roster has been teeming with QB talent.

-Boyle always looked bad to me. Glad he got the W v Houston that year and I wished him well. The idea he has stuck with Green Bay may be one of the biggest upsets I've ever seen.

Think the bottom line here is that both guys may have been decent at UConn had they had some coaching. That said, let's not act like the second coming of Peyton Manning was strolling the sidelines with a clipboard.
I agree but Boyle looks really good with Green Bay. He struggled here but Diaco really screwed the kid. Who can forget 3rd and 9, against Temple and Diaco sends in a running play. The kid's disgust told you they weren't throwing before the play.

The arm talent was there, and i hate to say this, but he is a cautionary tale for others. The hometown QB kids need other players and good coaches to thrive. Shirrefs was a way better QB when both were here.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I agree but Boyle looks really good with Green Bay. He struggled here but Diaco really screwed the kid. Who can forget 3rd and 9, against Temple and Diaco sends in a running play. The kid's disgust told you they weren't throwing before the play.

The arm talent was there, and i hate to say this, but he is a cautionary tale for others. The hometown QB kids need other players and good coaches to thrive. Shirrefs was a way better QB when both were here.

He didn’t have that ability when he was here, and we certainly didn’t have personnel on our coaching staff who could’ve coaxed it out of him.

Reaction Score

Like I said, Boyles problem was he was a late bloomer in college because of his lack of training and QB playing time before his senior year at Xavier. Before Boyle was a senior, Pat D'amato was Xavier's QB, although they did platoon in some games. Boyle played tight end or wide out whenever D'amato was the QB, and was great at those positions too. When D'amato graduated (was a year ahead), Boyle as a senior, finally had the QB duties to himself, but to prepare him for the college game he needed to be redshirted big-time.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Pains me to a certain extent to say it, but enough about Boyle as well. That night vs. Houston was great, but he left. I don't begrudge him that, but I also can't come to claim him as if all of his "accomplishments (in quotes because the entirety of which do not officially count.)" in Green Bay were because he attended UConn. His degree comes from EKU.

Say Aaron Rodgers gets hurt vs the Cowboys and Boyle is named starter for the next week's Monday night game. UConn fans' best hope for any hometown recognition in player introductions is for Boyle to say he is from Xavier High School (if that is even allowed anymore).

Reaction Score
Well we didn’t have Bill Walsh coaching the team so all I could do is base Nebrich’s time here under the stupid twins. Whether it was coaching or not, who knows, but Nebrich wasn’t ready as a true freshman. News flash, not many kids are.
Thanks for the news flash, just think if didn't have you to raise everyone's awareness. Perhaps a freshman who earned a scholarship might be "more ready" than a walk on who hadn't played a live series in maybe 3 or 4 years.

Reaction Score
Pains me to a certain extent to say it, but enough about Boyle as well. That night vs. Houston was great, but he left. I don't begrudge him that, but I also can't come to claim him as if all of his "accomplishments (in quotes because the entirety of which do not officially count.)" in Green Bay were because he attended UConn. His degree comes from EKU.

Say Aaron Rodgers gets hurt vs the Cowboys and Boyle is named starter for the next week's Monday night game. UConn fans' best hope for any hometown recognition in player introductions is for Boyle to say he is from Xavier High School (if that is even allowed anymore).
I don't think anyone cares about that. Just noting he had raw next level talent and the wastoid coaching staff here did zero to develop it.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone cares about that. Just noting he had raw next level talent and the wastoid coaching staff here did zero to develop it.
Maybe, but the umpteen posts in the "UConn in the NFL" thread indicates otherwise.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Since we’ve dove down this rabbit hole... who do you all think are the top 5 best QBs in UConn (FBS) history? My list is as follows:

1. Dan Orvlovsky (obvious #1 is the legend)
2. Bryant Sherriffs (consistent through a lot of BS that wasn’t his fault)
3. Zach Frazier (kid never gets enough credit)
4. David Pindell (insane athlete - imagine if he had 1 or 2 more years of eligibility?!?)
5. Casey Cochran (career cut too short had a crazy work ethic and decent arm)

Reaction Score
Since we’ve dove down this rabbit hole... who do you all think are the top 5 best QBs in UConn (FBS) history? My list is as follows:

4. David Pindell (insane athlete - imagine if he had 1 or 2 more years of eligibility?!?)

Orlovsky
Lorenzen
Frazier
Shireffs
Mike Box

All kidding aside you could take your pick for the 5th from Cochran, Pindell, and if he could’ve laid off the weed, Endres had all the tools of a pocket passer.

Reaction Score

I'd replace Cochran with Lorenzen. As promising as Casey looked and as unfortunate as it was that his career was cut short, it was only a few games against bad teams.

Orlovsky is obvious #1. Probably BS #2, got us to a bowl game with Diaco as a coach, behind a weak offensive line and not a consistent running game. Then I'd go Lorenzen he really stabilized the position and had us on quite the run in 07. I think injuries hindered him a lot after that. Frazer was inconsistent and I was never a huge fan, always wondered how things would have gone if Endres had his head on straight and could stay on the field. But Frazer was the QB for arguably our 2 best teams and seemed to be a good leader. And then I'd rank Pindell 5th. Great athlete, at times carried the offense more than any of them, but he was one dimensional and its just hard to get too excited about anything from last season

Orlovsky
BS
Lorenzen
Frazer
Pindell

Reaction Score
Beaudry looked pretty good in his highlight reel. Seemed like o have all the throws. And I have to get hunk D2 is at least comparable to JUCO. No guarantees but he could be pretty solid.

And SON I would put the kid, forget his name, but was a JUCO who came after D.J. Hernandez. He was good. Hurt his shoulder his second year and wasn’t the same but he was a nice player. I think at least equal to Sheffiffs. Better record. Lorenzen.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
It’s starting to smell like he isn’t with the program.

It’s a full ghost situation
He supposedly is/was hurt. Odd. The Canadian lapped him. We cannot afford to lose anybody, especially at this position

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He supposedly is/was hurt. Odd. The Canadian lapped him. We cannot afford to lose anybody, especially at this position

With where this position is it matters. No inside info - seems like he isn’t with team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom