QB discussion ... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

QB discussion ...

Reaction Score
What Edsall and Moorhead tried to build up at Uconn, Paul Pasqualoni managed to destroy in two short years. PP flat out didn't recognize QB talent, giving the football to junior trick shot artist Johnny McEntee over Nebrich, and over the wishes of demoted OC and QB's coach, Joe Moorhead during the Fall 2011 season, said it all. At that point Moorhead had had enough and resigned from UConn right after the conclusion of the 2011 season to coach Fordham, and took Nebrich with him right before August 2012 practices started. Lagow woke up too to PP's ineptitude and left after one summer.

Whoa - Moorehead was here for a cup of coffee and thrust upon HCRE, so let's not annoint him a builder of the program. And he did not leave because a freshman was not appointed the starting QB. He's a great coach, but let's not rewrite history to make a point.

Completely agree with everything else, including that picking Johnny Mac (because he and Moe P were best buds and would hang out in SW with P's kids) was his 2d worst decision - after his OC hire. However, your premise remains flawed, he could identify qb talent. This is not a defense of P, but we simply can't just make sh1+ up and hope no one notices, ok Donald?

Reaction Score
Whoa - Moorehead was here for a cup of coffee and thrust upon HCRE, so let's not annoint him a builder of the program. And he did not leave because a freshman was not appointed the starting QB. He's a great coach, but let's not rewrite history to make a point.

Completely agree with everything else, including that picking Johnny Mac (because he and Moe P were best buds and would hang out in SW with P's kids) was his 2d worst decision - after his OC hire. However, your premise remains flawed, he could identify qb talent. This is not a defense of P, but we simply can't just make sh1+ up and hope no one notices, ok Donald?
Whoa yourself. Edsall hired Moorhead as OC, and no one is making stuff up, read the Fordham article by Altavilla. Nebrich is quoted in the article wondering what UConn football would have been like if Edsall had stayed in Storrs, with Moorhead echoing those sentiments. Do you need it spelled out for you????? PP was an a - whole pure and simple. I mean, getting fired and replacing you with honest Bob Diaco, is not something you want on your resume. Lol

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wanted Dan Orlovsky, Tim Boyle and Mike Nebrich to promoted to the first team. Can't help it that I'm way ahead of the curve. Thanks for noticing.

Once again, this upcoming year we have not seen any of the QBs when bullets are flying except a cameo by Steven Krajewski. I believe the only way to judge a player is in games. So to find out about players, they must see the field. Edsall could have played Steven Krajewski in four games last year but couldn't find time in countless blow outs to get him some seasoning.

So what do we have at QB? No one knows, not you, not me, not Edsall. And there is only one way to find out. Snaps in live game. Heck, we night have the next DanO. But at this point there is no way to tell.

Lol. Everyone on earth wanted Orlovsky. You got your wish with Boyle and you were dead wrong. Nebrich left after one year but to think he was ready for this level of competition as a true freshman was absurd. Save the victory laps for something worth celebrating.

Reaction Score
Yeah whatever, I still think he gives the football to Steven Krajewski at least for the Wagner game. Or platoons the two of them. It's not like there will be a lot of passing anyway against Wagner.

Bump.

Reaction Score
Lol. Everyone on earth wanted Orlovsky. You got your wish with Boyle and you were dead wrong. Nebrich left after one year but to think he was ready for this level of competition as a true freshman was absurd. Save the victory laps for something worth celebrating.
For a freshman at UConn, a kid that broke every QB record in the state of Virginia???? Absurd???? What's absurd was giving the job to McEntee.

Reaction Score
For a freshman at UConn, a kid that broke every QB record in the state of Virginia???? Absurd???? What's absurd was giving the job to McEntee.

Yes. Absurd. It’s not like he didn’t get any playing time. He was overmatched. Did you watch the games?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Certain folks on here are NOTORIOUS for seeing how a player panned out as a Senior then rolling back the projection machine to say SEE THEY SHOULD HAVE STARTED ALL 4 YEARS HERE. It’s complete fantasy.

Reaction Score
As I recall, Edsall had Moorehead handcuffed anyway. I don’t think they would have been the incredible duo some lament. Edsall didn’t have Moorehead’s futuristic philosophy.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Two things:

-I would have liked to have seen Nebrich stay. Tough to get a read on a kid as a true freshman. Sure he transferred down to FCS before he became a star...but it's not like our roster has been teeming with QB talent.

-Boyle always looked bad to me. Glad he got the W v Houston that year and I wished him well. The idea he has stuck with Green Bay may be one of the biggest upsets I've ever seen.

Think the bottom line here is that both guys may have been decent at UConn had they had some coaching. That said, let's not act like the second coming of Peyton Manning was strolling the sidelines with a clipboard.

Reaction Score
As I recall, Edsall had Moorehead handcuffed anyway. I don’t think they would have been the incredible duo some lament. Edsall didn’t have Moorehead’s futuristic philosophy.
That I think is another myth. He had a quarterback who was not great and a running back who was but they did manage to throw for 300 yards a game several times which was a lot in 2010. Then they went out and recruited a kid who could actually run Moreheads offense in Nebrich. They didn’t run the full Morehead attach because the guys they had were not the right match.

Reaction Score

Got it Pocahontas.

Reaction Score
Yes. Absurd. It’s not like he didn’t get any playing time. He was overmatched. Did you watch the games?
I went to Vanderbilt game, Nebrich got one series with 2 hand offs and an incomplete pass. Johnny M crapped his pants on the game losing interception and for that got to be the starter from there on in.

Reaction Score
As I recall, Edsall had Moorehead handcuffed anyway.
That’s true. Joe’s uncle told me that while Joe was like a “mad scientist with all those wild plays he drew up on his laptop”, Edsall wasn’t letting him use them to open up the offense. There was frustration there.

Reaction Score
I went to Vanderbilt game, Nebrich got one series with 2 hand offs and an incomplete pass. Johnny M crapped his pants on the game losing interception and for that got to be the starter from there on in.

Well we didn’t have Bill Walsh coaching the team so all I could do is base Nebrich’s time here under the stupid twins. Whether it was coaching or not, who knows, but Nebrich wasn’t ready as a true freshman. News flash, not many kids are.

Reaction Score
That I think is another myth. He had a quarterback who was not great and a running back who was but they did manage to throw for 300 yards a game several times which was a lot in 2010. Then they went out and recruited a kid who could actually run Moreheads offense in Nebrich. They didn’t run the full Morehead attach because the guys they had were not the right match.
That’s true. Joe’s uncle told me that while Joe was like a “mad scientist with all those wild plays he drew up on his laptop”, Edsall wasn’t letting him use them to open up the offense. There was frustration there.

I remember it the way Nostical does. I think Moorehead alluded to it in the press at some point after leaving too.

Reaction Score
The thing I remember about Nebrich was that first, he was used in certain spots, mostly in the wildcat, and he never got a full quarter let alone a half of PT to get comfortable and in the rythm; and, second, the center at the time was going out with Johnny Mac's sister. The snaps that he got from that guy were often inexplicably atrocious. I remember my son and I discussing this on more than one occasion. That said, I think what sealed his doom was over throwing a wide open receiver behind all defenders by 15 yards. After that, I don't think he threw another pass. That was PP for you.

Reaction Score
Imagine. The guy who was the #1 quarterback since day 1 of camp is starting in the opener. Shocking!
And I would not be surprised to see one or both of the others get some snaps later in the game depending on circumstances.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The thing I remember about Nebrich was that first, he was used in certain spots, mostly in the wildcat, and he never got a full quarter let alone a half of PT to get comfortable and in the rythm; and, second, the center at the time was going out with Johnny Mac's sister. The snaps that he got from that guy were often inexplicably atrocious. I remember my son and I discussing this on more than one occasion. That said, I think what sealed his doom was over throwing a wide open receiver behind all defenders by 15 yards. After that, I don't think he threw another pass. That was PP for you.
The center was making HIMSELF look bad because the other qb was banging his sister? I buy it.

Reaction Score
Kid looks good. I have hope.

Like how he can throw in windows, tight or wide open (let alone throwing over the top of defenses).. something hopefully we see more and more of up in Storrs, CT.. stuff like that opens up your running game...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom