QB discussion ... | Page 6 | The Boneyard

QB discussion ...

Reaction Score
Beaudry has the arm talent—but what stands out about him is his leadership and command of the team. Let’s face it, based on everything we’ve gleaned so far, this team is not the 1-11 demoralized group of the last two years. It has some better players at key positions. It has a new confidence born of a maniacal lifting and conditioning regimen. It has better coaches in place especially on defense. So what are we? We’re a blank slate. None of our opponents is expecting much from us. If we can have success on Thursday (FCS opponent or not) and bring some unbridled joy to these players who've had none for two years, I say watch out. A confident QB who gets buy in from the team and an OC who exploits that confidence can turn this ship around. And I like that Giuffre always has his eye on the O-Line when calling plays. They are his guys and they make it all possible. So I’m betting on Spanos and Giuffre, on Beaudry and Mensah, and a D that’s tired of losing. I’m betting the over. You still have time.

Reaction Score
Beaudry has the arm talent—but what stands out about him is his leadership and command of the team. Let’s face it, based on everything we’ve gleaned so far, this team is not the 1-11 demoralized group of the last two years. It has some better players at key positions. It has a new confidence born of a maniacal lifting and conditioning regimen. It has better coaches in place especially on defense. So what are we? We’re a blank slate. None of our opponents is expecting much from us. If we can have success on Thursday (FCS opponent or not) and bring some unbridled joy to these players who've had none for two years, I say watch out. A confident QB who gets buy in from the team and an OC who exploits that confidence can turn this ship around. And I like that Giuffre always has his eye on the O-Line when calling plays. They are his guys and they make it all possible. So I’m betting on Spanos and Giuffre, on Beaudry and Mensah, and a D that’s tired of losing. I’m betting the over. You still have time.
So it's Beaudry going forward, but Krajewski will get some PT. I hope the posters who correctly predicted Beaudry would get the starting nod, remember what Edsall said about Krajewski when his staff recruited him.............and that was that of all the QB's he (Edsall) recruited in all his years at UConn the recruit with the most talent he saw was of course Dan Orlovsky, but right behind him at #2 in overall talent was Steve Krajewski.

Reaction Score
It is the natural progression of things. Beaudry this year and next, Krajewski the following two years, but getting enough snaps this year and next to get a really effective tutelage. The way it is supposed to be.

In the previous rankings, I think Pindell is being undervalued due to the teams he played on. I would rank him number 2. Give him any kind of protection at all and he would have done really great things passing. That is why I am looking forward to this year. There might actually be some pass protection.

Reaction Score
I’m not denigrating Krajewski’s talent. I just haven’t sensed that necessary level of confidence/swagger in speaking with him. He may be the quiet leader type and if he has all the QB skills and can take command of the team, he may well be the next DanO. But not yet. Not now. This team needs a vocal leader st QB. As of now, the team has responded to Beaudry’s command. And that’s huge when a group of athletes are questioning their own ability to succeed.

Reaction Score
I’m not denigrating Krajewski’s talent. I just haven’t sensed that necessary level of confidence/swagger in speaking with him. He may be the quiet leader type and if he has all the QB skills and can take command of the team, he may well be the next DanO. But not yet. Not now. This team needs a vocal leader st QB. As of now, the team has responded to Beaudry’s command. And that’s huge when a group of athletes are questioning their own ability to succeed.
Excellent point.

Reaction Score
So it's Beaudry going forward, but Krajewski will get some PT. I hope the posters who correctly predicted Beaudry would get the starting nod, remember what Edsall said about Krajewski when his staff recruited him...and that was that of all the QB's he (Edsall) recruited in all his years at UConn the recruit with the most talent he saw was of course Dan Orlovsky, but right behind him at #2 in overall talent was Steve Krajewski.
Congratulations to Mike Beaudry. It’s nice knowing we have depth and talent at the QB position. Dan Orlovsky said that Krajewski was a better prospect than him coming out of high school. He also said Krajewski has a better arm and a quicker release at that time. It seems like Randy just wants him to develop more before giving him the keys to the car. Here’s what DO had to say about Krajewski.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What happened to Krajewski? Haven't been to the football board in awhile, but thought he was supposed to be the most talented kid by a wide margin?

Reaction Score

>>Much comes down to the intangible and unquantifiable – processing seamlessly amid chaos, adjusting to defenses pre-snap and the ability to react and think under pressure. There are some scientific attempts to quantify the brain, reaction and instinct, but for now it remains one of the sport’s great unknowns.

“Whoever figures out how to teach processing and can explain how they do that to everyone is going to be a rich man,” said Will Hewlett, a Texas-based private quarterback tutor. “It's harder to put your finger on than physical traits, skills, even leadership qualities.”<<

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Hope Beaudry is a nice bridge/mentor for Krajewski as he’ll still have 3 years after this. No need to rush Krajewski if he’s not ready.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

>>Here’s a look at the QBs in the opening game of the season since record-breaking passer Dan Orlovsky graduated:

(Year/Quarterback/Season Opener/Season results)

2005 — Matt Bonislawski: 121 passing yards, 71 rushing yards, 3 total TDS in 38-0 win over Buffalo; Started 7 games, passed for 836 yards, ran for 239 yards

2006 — D.J. Hernandez: 149 passing yards, 33 rushing yards, 3 total TDs in 52-7 win over URI; Started 6 games, passed for 849 yards, ran for 222 yards

2007 — Tyler Lorenzen: 298 passing yards, 52 rushing yards, 2 total TDs in 45-14 win over Duke; Started all 13 games, passed for 2,367 yards, ran for 328 yards

2008 — Tyler Lorenzen: 184 passing yards, 23 rushing yards, 0 total TDs in 35-3 win over Hofstra; Started 9 games, passed for 869 yards, ran for 284 yards

2009 — Zach Frazer: 127 passing yards, 2 rushing yards, 2 total TDS in 23-16 win over Ohio; Started 7 games, passed for 1,461 yards

2010 — Zach Frazer: 205 passing yards, 9 rushing yards, 0 total TDS in 30-10 loss to Michigan; Started 10 games, passed for 1,425 yards, ran for 14 yards

2011 — Johnny McEntee: 113 passing yards, 0 total TDS in 35-3 win over Fordham; Started 12 games, passed for 2,110 yards

2012 — Chandler Whitmer: 219 passing yards, 4 rushing yards, 0 total TDS in 37-0 win over UMass; Started 12 games, passed for 2,664 yards

2013 — Chandler Whitmer: 206 passing yards, 2 total TDs in 33-18 loss to Towson; Started 4 games, passed for 896 yards

2014 — Casey Cochran: 171 passing yards, 0 total TDs in 35-10 loss to BYU; Started 1 game, passed for 171 yards

2015 — Bryant Shirreffs: 202 passing yards, 33 rushing yards, 2 total TDs in 20-15 win over Villanova; Started 12 games, passed for 2,078 yards, ran for 503 yards

2016 — Bryant Shirreffs: 162 passing yards, 95 rushing yards, 0 total TDs in 24-21 win over Maine; Started 9 games, passed for 2,010 yards, ran for 326 yards

2017 — David Pindell: 154 passing yards, 33 rushing yards, 0 total TDs in 27-20 win over Holy Cross; Started 4 games, passed for 937 yards, ran for 289 yards

2018 — David Pindell: 266 passing yards, 157 rushing yards, 2 total TDS in 56-17 loss to UCF; Started 12 games, passed for 1,962, ran for 1,139 yards<<

Reaction Score
Both McEntee & Whitmer’s passing numbers were greater than I expected. (First year)

So. I’m thinking I’ve got an EFFECTIVENESS scale in my head. Lorenzen came in & took charge - we were a better team. Neither Whitmer or McEntee or Bones or Hernandez really have you that leader that was beyond just stats. I think Shirreffs is thought of fondly due to that component - despite the losing.

That’s my hope for Beaudry. And for once - can we see a recruit QB take over the position. Krajewski or Z or Spector.

Reaction Score

>>Here’s a look at the QBs in the opening game of the season since record-breaking passer Dan Orlovsky graduated:

(Year/Quarterback/Season Opener/Season results)

2005 — Matt Bonislawski: 121 passing yards, 71 rushing yards, 3 total TDS in 38-0 win over Buffalo; Started 7 games, passed for 836 yards, ran for 239 yards

2006 — D.J. Hernandez: 149 passing yards, 33 rushing yards, 3 total TDs in 52-7 win over URI; Started 6 games, passed for 849 yards, ran for 222 yards

2007 — Tyler Lorenzen: 298 passing yards, 52 rushing yards, 2 total TDs in 45-14 win over Duke; Started all 13 games, passed for 2,367 yards, ran for 328 yards

2008 — Tyler Lorenzen: 184 passing yards, 23 rushing yards, 0 total TDs in 35-3 win over Hofstra; Started 9 games, passed for 869 yards, ran for 284 yards

2009 — Zach Frazer: 127 passing yards, 2 rushing yards, 2 total TDS in 23-16 win over Ohio; Started 7 games, passed for 1,461 yards

2010 — Zach Frazer: 205 passing yards, 9 rushing yards, 0 total TDS in 30-10 loss to Michigan; Started 10 games, passed for 1,425 yards, ran for 14 yards

2011 — Johnny McEntee: 113 passing yards, 0 total TDS in 35-3 win over Fordham; Started 12 games, passed for 2,110 yards

2012 — Chandler Whitmer: 219 passing yards, 4 rushing yards, 0 total TDS in 37-0 win over UMass; Started 12 games, passed for 2,664 yards

2013 — Chandler Whitmer: 206 passing yards, 2 total TDs in 33-18 loss to Towson; Started 4 games, passed for 896 yards

2014 — Casey Cochran: 171 passing yards, 0 total TDs in 35-10 loss to BYU; Started 1 game, passed for 171 yards

2015 — Bryant Shirreffs: 202 passing yards, 33 rushing yards, 2 total TDs in 20-15 win over Villanova; Started 12 games, passed for 2,078 yards, ran for 503 yards

2016 — Bryant Shirreffs: 162 passing yards, 95 rushing yards, 0 total TDs in 24-21 win over Maine; Started 9 games, passed for 2,010 yards, ran for 326 yards

2017 — David Pindell: 154 passing yards, 33 rushing yards, 0 total TDs in 27-20 win over Holy Cross; Started 4 games, passed for 937 yards, ran for 289 yards

2018 — David Pindell: 266 passing yards, 157 rushing yards, 2 total TDS in 56-17 loss to UCF; Started 12 games, passed for 1,962, ran for 1,139 yards<<

Casey Cochran could’ve been great had it not been for those (13) concussions. Such a shame. Coming out of HS there was a lot of buzz around him - he took both New London and Masuk HS football programs to State Championships.

Reaction Score
Casey Cochran could’ve been great had it not been for those (13) concussions. Such a shame. Coming out of HS there was a lot of buzz around him - he took both New London and Masuk HS football programs to State Championships.
He was great!!! He owns almost all the state high school passing records. However if you look at the number of players from the same team in the passing and reception records over the years. New Canaan has dominated those stats going all the way back to 1968. What's also noticeable is the number of passing and receiving records that had stood for many many years, but were broken in the early 2000's with the advent of the spread offense.

Attachments

• 2018-CT-Football-Record-Book (5).pdf
    2 MB · Views: 25
Reaction Score
The QB doesn't produce in a vacuum. OL is huge, and weapons for specific situations are important. But between the coaches and the QB there needs to be a recognition of what needs to be done and how best to get it done. The intangibles just make all of it more effective as you get the best out of yourself and your teammates.

Reaction Score
So we know the answer now. Edsall was being cagey about his starting QB . . . and the QBs are terrible.

Reaction Score
So we know the answer now. Edsall was being cagey about his starting QB . . . and the QBs are terrible.

Way too harsh IMO. He was far from great in his first game but calling him terrible is being far too critical.

Reaction Score
Given last night’s 1st game vanilla play calling, does anyone absolutely know the latter as fact? Regardless, how would anyone absolutely know the description is 100% accurate with all of the QBs at this early stage?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Given last night’s 1st game vanilla play calling, does anyone absolutely know the latter as fact? Regardless, how would anyone absolutely know the description is 100% accurate with all of the QBs at this early stage?

Best possible answer is that he was overexcited, and overthrew nearly everything, but that's likely too polite.

In his defense, his best throw was a drop that would have been a TD.

Reaction Score
QB’s need time. Beaudry hasn’t played in like 2 years when he took his D2 team to a national championship. Shake off the rust and come back against Illinois. The thing he needs to realize,however, is that is this it for him.

Reaction Score
We threw to the sidelines so much, Wagner started jumping routes. After the pick 6 they almost got another one. I was in the 2nd row on the lower level blue seats, so the view kind of sucked as far as appreciating what was going on the field sometimes.

I do hope that was our vanilla playcalling for scouting purposes, but with Edsall that may be as exotic as we get.

Reaction Score
QB’s need time. Beaudry hasn’t played in like 2 years when he took his D2 team to a national championship. Shake off the rust and come back against Illinois. The thing he needs to realize,however, is that is this it for him.
Call me crazy but when you don’t have two presumed starters that are legit fast that you worked with all Fall it changes things. I’m sure his confidence was challenged a bit with the backups in the game- and this does speak to our depth issues at that position- but I did see him look to throw

There just wasn’t anyone open. It’s not like he was missing wide open guys. The one safety was bracketing everyone that tried to run deep and the other safety was cheating into the box all night. At first I thought the line was suspect but in reality Wagner sold out against the run the entire game and we still ran for over 200 yards.

Get our two receivers back that can stretch the field and he will at least have a more balanced option. Can’t say he will throw the ball better but at least he’ll have more to work with. I did see a QB that has pocket presence, willing to stand in there and can deliver the ball- and run if need be.

I think we’ll be fine there

Reaction Score
We threw to the sidelines so much, Wagner started jumping routes. After the pick 6 they almost got another one. I was in the 2nd row on the lower level blue seats, so the view kind of sucked as far as appreciating what was going on the field sometimes.

I do hope that was our vanilla playcalling for scouting purposes, but with Edsall that may be as exotic as we get.

You were there... Did you see a bunch of receivers running wide open? We had no real threats out there- Drayton played well and will look better when we are at full strength. Quite frankly Wagner did not have to play honest in the secondary.
Maurisseau was bracketed all night

Reaction Score
Call me crazy but when you don’t have two presumed starters that are legit fast that you worked with all Fall it changes things. I’m sure his confidence was challenged a bit with the backups in the game- and this does speak to our depth issues at that position- but I did see him look to throw

There just wasn’t anyone open. It’s not like he was missing wide open guys. The one safety was bracketing everyone that tried to run deep and the other safety was cheating into the box all night. At first I thought the line was suspect but in reality Wagner sold out against the run the entire game and we still ran for over 200 yards.

Get our two receivers back that can stretch the field and he will at least have a more balanced option. Can’t say he will throw the ball better but at least he’ll have more to work with. I did see a QB that has pocket presence, willing to stand in there and can deliver the ball- and run if need be.

I think we’ll be fine there
I thought he underthrew a wide open Drayton that almost led to a pick, and overthrew every deep ball. But 1st game in years could have been shaking off the rust. He will have to make faster decisions though. Seemed hesitant on a few plays. The play is only going to get faster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom