Qadence | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Qadence

Reaction Score
I'll just echo what I said after the first game. Q should take minutes away from CD and Aubrey. Q is more consistent at the three than CD (two games now) and for me CD has always been too streaky with her shooting. CD needs to hit shots to justify being in the game. Q should be a better defensive player than CD since any matchup with CD is usually a win on offense for the other team.

If anything, my thoughts are stronger now to the point that I like Q or Aubrey to start (the other being a energy plus offense off the bench) and CD playing limited minutes which would increase if she hits a couple shots.

Reaction Score
I don’t know how much the starting spot matters, but Geno seemed to have reasons for limiting Aubrey’s minutes. They may be tactical or medical, but either way he said something to the effect that he would use her in 3-4 minute bursts. That suggests 15-20 mins/g.

Caroline probably wouldn’t play more than that in any event, but we can all imagine reasons for limiting her minutes. I definitely do not think Caroline is a liability. But there obviously are opponents she would work better against.

Within a narrow context, Qadence’s shooting was an important factor in keeping us close yesterday. This leads us to discount her defensive lapses and imagine her as a primary contributor right away. She will get there soon, maybe very soon. But she still needs to develop within the team defensive scheme. Patience is still called for, I suspect.

If Ashlynn gets 4 steals 6 rebounds and hits a few 3s against MD — she’s capable of it — we’ll all want her to start somewhere. But patience will still be needed for the following game in which she flounders. The same goes for KK and Ice. Each will have games when they seem to be just what’s needed and others when they can’t seem to get any traction.

Reaction Score
The thing I don't like about Qadence is that every time she's in the game, I can't take my eyes off her head. Very distracting.

:oops:
Maybe that's her "thing." Maybe it's distracting to opposing players, too. I love her as a player, and her "do" just adds to her character. I call her MinnieQadence.

Reaction Score
2 game sample size and she was fine in the first game. Supposedly shot the lights out in preseason. We all need to be a bit more patient.
As much as I hear about how great Azzi and Caroline are from behind the arc in practice I don't see it in the games. We have three seasons on those two and it is time to stop treating either of them like they are a dangerous three point threat. Azzi is very tough to stop when she moves toward the lane and shoots the pull up around the free throw line but pushing her to be the 1st option on the offense isn't helping her and Geno has to see it.

Q does have a great shot and she has shown she isn't afraid to shoot it. Her defense is a liability at this point and her offense to me is one dimensional so I think she needs to continue to be that scoring spark off the bench. UConn needs a bigger body inside to go with AE more than they need another three point shooter.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
As much as I hear about how great Azzi and Caroline are from behind the arc in practice I don't see it in the games. We have three seasons on those two and it is time to stop treating either of them like they are a dangerous three point threat. Azzi is very tough to stop when she moves toward the lane and shoots the pull up around the free throw line but pushing her to be the 1st option on the offense isn't helping her and Geno has to see it.

Q does have a great shot and she has shown she isn't afraid to shoot it. Her defense is a liability at this point and her offense to me is one dimensional so I think she needs to continue to be that scoring spark off the bench. UConn needs a bigger body inside to go with AE more than they need another three point shooter.
Q did drive the baseline once and in for a layup. Looked good to me.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

Early last season Fudd was the first option and she played so well that she was being mentioned as a candidate for POY. That was before she got hurt. Some people seem to forget that there was nothing but praise for her early last season. In order for UConn to challenge for the NC this season Fudd will have to regain that level of play, imo. That is, unless one of the freshmen blossoms to that level.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I agree. Caroline is very nice and does some good things, but I guess I do not see why she should be a starter. In almost every “big game” she tends to get lost. Lots of driving to the basket with no plan, often resulting in turnovers. Loved what I saw from Q today and aubrey also brings great D.
Including @Paul1969 , @JBK on this reply.

But does she get lost? I remember that when she was a frosh in 2021-22 and UConn was brutalized by injuries, she basically helped bail the team out with her inspired play. Played in 31 games with 11 starts, scoring double figures in 14. Do any of these count as "big games?"
... scored 24 points and added eight rebounds vs. a very good Louisville team (12/19)
... had 22 points at Oregon (1/17
... set personal best with 28 points at St. John's (1/23) ... notched 19 points vs/at DePaul (1/26)
... scored 13 points at Creighton (2/2)
As a sophomore:
... notched 15 points, five rebounds, three assists and three steals vs. Iowa (11/27).
... had 13 points adn seven rebounds at Maryland (12/11)
... notched season-high 19 points and added seven rebounds vs. Marquette (12/31)

My take on this was more akin to that of Andraya Carter, the ESPN analyst: UConn scored enough points, but gave up a bunch more than they're used to; largely because of North Carolina States's aggressive downhill attacks. Plus, the Huskies ran into a career-best performance from a player and team playing at home.

I don't see Geno altering starting line-ups based on the opposition: gotta have some degree of belief in your starters (and Geno, tradtionally, does). However, one can adjust defense approach/personnel depending on how the game unfolds. Have to adjust.

As a long-time UConn observer and admirer, but definite ND fan, I've noted the last two posts I've made on the "UConn side of the board" have been in defense of UConn players: Caroline and, previously, Nika. Keep the faith! ;)

p.s. All of us will get some answers soon enough, because you'll match up with Maryland, a team that just got whacked by S. Carolina (save as ND did in their opener). I suspect Geno will make some tweaks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was impressed with her today. Despite some defensive lapse due to lack of experience at this level, she was doing what was needed from her. I love the upside on this kid. She’s only going to get stronger and savvier with more playing time. Her little sis Qandace, a high school freshman, is a person of recruiting interest, btw

Check out the three point scoring percentage after two games. Q is 7-13 for 53.8%

View attachment 93007
If I had to guess, I'd say she'll be a star before all is said and done.

Reaction Score
BE Freshman of the week..
1000006350.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The word is out and opponents will be scheming to stop her. Hopefully this will help open the lane for Aaliyah. I look forward to seeing how Qadence responds to the extra defensive attention. Her length serves her well on the perimeter since she can shoot over guards and post players aren’t known for the lateral quickness needed to defend the arc. Q’s poise has been steady so far, I’d love to see her maintain it.

One more thing for those obsessed with ranking - Qadence was ranked #41 coming out of high school.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The word is out and opponents will be scheming to stop her. Hopefully this will help open the lane for Aaliyah. I look forward to seeing how Qadence responds to the extra defensive attention. Her length serves her well on the perimeter since she can shoot over guards and post players aren’t known for the lateral quickness needed to defend the arc. Q’s poise has been steady so far, I’d love to see her maintain it.

One more thing for those obsessed with ranking - Qadence was ranked #41 coming out of high school.
Yup. There are over 400000 girls playing hs hoops in the US so 41 is i think the top 1000th of 1%. Still not too shabby. Looks like a keeper, albeit small sample size.

Reaction Score

The best part about Q is her fearlessness... something lacking in a lot of our current players.

Reaction Score
Her shooting in Europe was off, to some extent because of double rims, and then she was off in the exhibition game which led me to wonder why Geno was high on her. I was surprised when she came off the bench early and then scored in double figures, that completely caught me off guard. All of a sudden expectations for her, by the crowd, have vaulted from bench player, at best, to impact player. I have to credit Samuels, her self confidence in extreme situations, and Geno, because of his faith in her and encouragement. She is an amazing shooter. Freshman of the week, wow!

Reaction Score
I don’t know how much the starting spot matters, but Geno seemed to have reasons for limiting Aubrey’s minutes. They may be tactical or medical, but either way he said something to the effect that he would use her in 3-4 minute bursts. That suggests 15-20 mins/g.

Caroline probably wouldn’t play more than that in any event, but we can all imagine reasons for limiting her minutes. I definitely do not think Caroline is a liability. But there obviously are opponents she would work better against.

Within a narrow context, Qadence’s shooting was an important factor in keeping us close yesterday. This leads us to discount her defensive lapses and imagine her as a primary contributor right away. She will get there soon, maybe very soon. But she still needs to develop within the team defensive scheme. Patience is still called for, I suspect.

If Ashlynn gets 4 steals 6 rebounds and hits a few 3s against MD — she’s capable of it — we’ll all want her to start somewhere. But patience will still be needed for the following game in which she flounders. The same goes for KK and Ice. Each will have games when they seem to be just what’s needed and others when they can’t seem to get any traction.
I agree that Shade can be a quiet force. But here is my fear; Geno tends to type cast players. And he early on labeled Shade as a fine player who can do everything, but who has no natural position. She isn't a big ( clearly ) ; she isn't a wing ( pretty clearly ) and he doesn't see her as a guard either. She is simply a fine basketball player who has always beaten anyone who she came up against. But I fear Geno sees her as having "no position." So, she will play before Inez or deBerry get in a game, but not against anyone who matters. I think Geno has already under-rated her, and feels he has better options. Not letting her get off the bench against NC State confirmed my fears. Please tell me I am wrong. I think she is better than anyone imagines.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I agree that Shade can be a quiet force. But here is my fear; Geno tends to type cast players. And he early on labeled Shade as a fine player who can do everything, but who has no natural position. She isn't a big ( clearly ) ; she isn't a wing ( pretty clearly ) and he doesn't see her as a guard either. She is simply a fine basketball player who has always beaten anyone who she came up against. But I fear Geno sees her as having "no position." So, she will play before Inez or deBerry get in a game, but not against anyone who matters. I think Geno has already under-rated her, and feels he has better options. Not letting her get off the bench against NC State confirmed my fears. Please tell me I am wrong. I think she is better than anyone imagines.
If that is really the case, why recruit a player when you don't know what position she plays? She appears to me to have the potential to become a highly skilled guard.

Reaction Score
We have all been feverish, even before the season began. Talks about going undefeated, having a B-team that would also be ranked ran amok. Even the players were saying that other teams will be forced to pick their poison on a given night. Suddenly, the same people are talking about shuffling the deck (after one real game). Count me out of this madness. Yes, I have seen better and smarter games. But I have also seen far too many games in which active, aggressive, confident and talented guards ran us off the court and took away our ability to be effective at both ends of the court. I like every one on this Board have an opinions about this ailing team, but I'll keep them for my afternoons cold showers. I will continue to support and take joy in watching the various versions of them until that day players are no longer being developed for the next level-- of course for them seeking the next level.

Reaction Score
The best part about Q is her fearlessness... something lacking in a lot of our current players.
Yup. She isn't in her head too much. She just has that vibe of "I am going to score no matter what."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom