Purvis with the Hashtag of the Year | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Purvis with the Hashtag of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I especially respect the guys who come back later to get their degrees. Free, Taliek, Tony R I believe and others.

Reaction Score
Who cares? It was 16 years ago. I would just like to see more of our players, especially those not playing professionally for big $$$, get their degrees. That's my only point in this thread.

I will come at you a different way: WHO DA F KNOWS?

That dead writer PRESUMED he knew. Do you? Does anyone think the Graduation rates or the APR (as mandated by the NCAA) actually reflects the academic advancement of UConn basketball since 1987? I would really like to know. Given a quick Google of the members of 1999 NC team, I agree with upstate: these kids live fairly full and productive lives. And they were pushed along by a great mentor.

That writer's words were blasphemy. And, they simply painted a black & white picture on something we all know has lots of gray. Duke kids all graduates? Louisville recruits always with strippers? UNC had no kid graduate from standard academic courses?

The other thing that I want you to internalize: did these kids get a better life due to being mentored by Jim Calhoun? I graduated. I wish they all had a degree. But, just like with my own kids, there is absolute accountability for those 13 guys. If Antric Klaiber (or others) was given opportunity and lots of academic help (and even a path to degrees after eligibility), then I think we can say that the lack of degree is on them.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
No, because you made a point about how it was somewhat deserved since UConn had a low grad rate compared to Duke, and when I showed the rates were close, you wrote "I don't care!"
I said our grad rate was abysmal. It was and continues to be pretty bad. I wish it was higher
By the way, BigErn and CAHUSKY.

The UConn grad rate in 1998 (the last grad year before that article was written) was 33%. Actual grad rate.

Duke's grad rate in 1998? 40%.

So, tell me why UConn's players were treated so badly by the writer relative to Duke's players.
Again, I could care less about Duke's graduation rate and the article. I just wish we graduated more players. You are reading more into my response than is there.

Reaction Score
No, because you made a point about how it was somewhat deserved since UConn had a low grad rate compared to Duke, and when I showed the rates were close, you wrote "I don't care!"

I'm not going to get into this, because it's the middle of the work day, and you're arguably the biggest homer on the board so I know it's a lost cause. But it's easy to cherry pick a number. It was 50% through '98, then 31% in '03, 25% in '04 and 10% in '05. It was abysmal.

And no one said the "thug" moniker was warranted. I didn't see anything in Cahusky's post that even hinted at that. Saying that the graduation rate was brutal for a while at UConn does not warrant a "what is wrong with you people."

Your zeal to constantly portray UConn as a beacon of virtue in the morass of college athletics leads you to make some ridiculous statements. I'm sure you think Calhoun was going to donate $25k to Cecil Kirk anyway because he's all about urban renewal, it was just a happy coincidence that Rudy Gay played for them.

Reaction Score
I said our grad rate was abysmal. It was and continues to be pretty bad. I wish it was higher

Again, I could care less about Duke's graduation rate and the article. I just wish we graduated more players. You are reading more into my response than is there.

McCracken goes whacked. He has joined the Louisville writers and Providence fanboys in the most whackadoodle UConn Program digs.

Look ... this irks me. I am a parent and I feel like I have broad views on this issue. Graduation was a hammer that William Rhoden and Derrick Z. Jackson used to slam Calhoun. We start from the fact that we brought far different kids into our Program than Duke. Heck, Geno Auriemma brings in a far different student; he's now able to recruit both for basketball and academics (skipping the marginal student - which there are less of on the female side). Calhoun brought athletic hard-working kids from urban environments; yes, K had more suburban kids. Graduation was prioritized by Calhoun. But, he did seem to think not to push a kid to finish if he absolutely could get paid as a pro (let alone the NBA types, it was Foreign too).

Was Calhoun lax? The evidence (comparing him to others that had 25 year coaching careers) is he was probably average to below average; and more of a poster child for this than others because ... he won a lot of big games. But, that is pointedly skewed as the number of kids got REAL dollars by not graduating. That doesn't happen at Bucknell. As I said earlier, the NON-graduates are now surrounded by members of the fraternity that did graduate. Prioritized the degree. These UConn graduates aren't the only ones who heard the benefits of having a college degree. Every kid alive now knows the income disparity between those with degrees and those without. These UConn players have accountability.

On that 1999 team, Saunders and Wane and Archibald coached college (means they graduated) with Freeman and Moore. Big long Pro careers for Hamilton, Voskuhl, EJ Harrison, Mourning, El Amin. Justin Brown teaches school in Australia - graduated. Rashamel Jones has an Administrative position in NYS Child Protection services - graduated. That leaves Klaiber who runs a small business ... as an unknown. Productive full lives.

And ... not deserving of the Pittsburgh writers scorn.

Reaction Score
Yep. I think my room was 510. That was my junior year. Pretty sure we had more damage charges than any other floor on campus that year . . .
I remember an emergency exit sign getting wrecked. Not much else. I've never been too into vandalism. Schenanigans...yes. Vandalism...no. You mind if i ask your name? I'm wondering if I know/remember you. My name is Tim.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I really hope this team is mean and a bunch of bullies. Haven't had a team like that since '09.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I really want to see this hashtag at all the games with Ricky's face

Reaction Score
Here's how crazy this thread is.

1. Great hashtag of the Moore angry face.
2. Someone sees that smug Burgess in the background
3. I'm reminded that Burgess was one of the scholars everyone loved. I mention offhandedly an article denigrating UConn players by comparison.
4. Unfortunately I used the word thug.
5. People want to see the article I'm talking about, though it only existed in my memory from 16 years ago.
6. Others chime in that no one thought UConn was a team of thugs.
7. I felt I had to at least search the article. I did. I put in the dates March 30, 1999-April 5, 1999 and search the PPG.
8. I posted less than 10% of the article.
9. I wrote that Keidan didn't use the word thugs. Instead he implied UConn's team was full of idiots.
10. Someone said this: "To be fair, our grad rate was abysmal."
11. Someone else seconded the idea that back then UConn's grad rate sucked and has since improved (which is not true).
12. I showed how UConn's grad rate was 33% after 1998 while Duke's was 40%.
13. Plainly, the numbers were not that different. So, "to be fair," the guy had no right knocking UConn players and glorifying Duke. Keidan was not even right that less than 1 in 3 UConn players graduate. In fact, the number was 1 in 3. He wasn't right that 9 out of 10 Dookies graduate. In fact, it was 2 out of 5.

What a crazy thread.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Dead or not - when you look at what city that writer hails from-tells the full story
Pitt........................

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm not going to get into this, because it's the middle of the work day, and you're arguably the biggest homer on the board so I know it's a lost cause. But it's easy to cherry pick a number. It was 50% through '98, then 31% in '03, 25% in '04 and 10% in '05. It was abysmal.

And no one said the "thug" moniker was warranted. I didn't see anything in Cahusky's post that even hinted at that. Saying that the graduation rate was brutal for a while at UConn does not warrant a "what is wrong with you people."

Your zeal to constantly portray UConn as a beacon of virtue in the morass of college athletics leads you to make some ridiculous statements. I'm sure you think Calhoun was going to donate $25k to Cecil Kirk anyway because he's all about urban renewal, it was just a happy coincidence that Rudy Gay played for them.

Wow
It must be convenient to walk on water
"'I'm not going to get into this" but a 51% winning percentage does not make a HoF coach

Reaction Score
Wouldn't that be the same year El-Amin jumped on the scorers table at Pitt? Could explain some of the animosity by the writer. That and sour grapes of course.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
So, what is our recruits' graduation rate now?

I also wonder the graduation rate for "normal" students

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
So, what is our recruits' graduation rate now?

I also wonder the graduation rate for "normal" students
4 year graduation rate for normal students is 67%. When we won the title in 2014 our 6 year graduation rate for hoops was 8%. Comparing those two stats is apples and oranges though. The better comparison would be grad rates against other elite hoop programs.

Reaction Score
R.Moore was always my favorite player growing up. Great PG.

Reaction Score
Latest Grad Rates:

UConn 6%
Boston College 40%
Cal-Berkeley 31%
Cincinnati 8%
Florida 19%
Georgetown 38%
Georgia Tech 38%
Indiana 8%
Kentucky 40%
Kansas 43%
Memphis 36%
North Carolina (cough) 54%
Duke 67%
Syracuse 31%
Wisconsin 33%

Reaction Score
Latest Grad Rates:

UConn 6%
Boston College 40%
Cal-Berkeley 31%
Cincinnati 8%
Florida 19%
Georgetown 38%
Georgia Tech 38%
Indiana 8%
Kentucky 40%
Kansas 43%
Memphis 36%
Duke 67%
Syracuse 31%
Wisconsin 33%
What period is that from? I have a hard time believing 1 in 16 scholarship players graduate.

Reaction Score
6 year period prior to 2013-2014

Technically, I think that's actually players entering between 2004 and 2007 who graduated within 6 years. 6% is the most recent "federal" rate (as opposed to the NCAA Grad Success Rate). The federal rate includes transfers out as 'non-graduates'.

I make it 6 transfers from that period, all of whom would have counted against us:

(Transfers)
Kellogg
Garrison
Marcus Johnson
Eaves
Kelly
Wiggins

So 1 graduated out of the remaining 10 (I'm guessing DBev based on the increase in the NCAA Grad Success Rate from the 2003-2006 period):

Gay
Adrien
Austrie
Dyson
Price
Edwards
Mandeldove
Robinson
Thabeet
Beverly

Reaction Score
beverly indeed graduated, same year as walker

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Latest Grad Rates:

UConn 6%
Boston College 40%
Cal-Berkeley 31%
Cincinnati 8%
Florida 19%
Georgetown 38%
Georgia Tech 38%
Indiana 8%
Kentucky 40%
Kansas 43%
Memphis 36%
Duke 67%
Syracuse 31%
Wisconsin 33%

Kentucky 40%? This is the only number I need to see to realize that there are serious methodology problems with those numbers.

Reaction Score
McCracken goes whacked. He has joined the Louisville writers and Providence fanboys in the most whackadoodle UConn Program digs.

Look ... this irks me. I am a parent and I feel like I have broad views on this issue. Graduation was a hammer that William Rhoden and Derrick Z. Jackson used to slam Calhoun. We start from the fact that we brought far different kids into our Program than Duke. Heck, Geno Auriemma brings in a far different student; he's now able to recruit both for basketball and academics (skipping the marginal student - which there are less of on the female side). Calhoun brought athletic hard-working kids from urban environments; yes, K had more suburban kids. Graduation was prioritized by Calhoun. But, he did seem to think not to push a kid to finish if he absolutely could get paid as a pro (let alone the NBA types, it was Foreign too).

Was Calhoun lax? The evidence (comparing him to others that had 25 year coaching careers) is he was probably average to below average; and more of a poster child for this than others because ... he won a lot of big games. But, that is pointedly skewed as the number of kids got REAL dollars by not graduating. That doesn't happen at Bucknell. As I said earlier, the NON-graduates are now surrounded by members of the fraternity that did graduate. Prioritized the degree. These UConn graduates aren't the only ones who heard the benefits of having a college degree. Every kid alive now knows the income disparity between those with degrees and those without. These UConn players have accountability.

On that 1999 team, Saunders and Wane and Archibald coached college (means they graduated) with Freeman and Moore. Big long Pro careers for Hamilton, Voskuhl, EJ Harrison, Mourning, El Amin. Justin Brown teaches school in Australia - graduated. Rashamel Jones has an Administrative position in NYS Child Protection services - graduated. That leaves Klaiber who runs a small business ... as an unknown. Productive full lives.

And ... not deserving of the Pittsburgh writers scorn.
Was curious, found this article, Antric did indeed graduate, along with EJ, Rash and SlickRick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom