Purvis with the Hashtag of the Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Purvis with the Hashtag of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You forgot the Harvard / Kentucky comparison you always make.

I don't particularly care, because I'm in the camp that thinks, with the occasional exception, if a kid is on a hoop scholarship at a place like UConn, or Kansas, or Kentucky, that kid is on campus to 1) play basketball; 2) play basketball; and 3) play basketball. It's why I always roll my eyes when someone says "Guess he doesn't care about academics" when a kid commits elsewhere. But it's not like UConn was lumped in with every other big time basketball school back in the period Cahusky is referring to. The grad rate - whether it was indicative of anything important or not - was abysmal, and it wasn't just because Ray and Rip left early to get paid.

It's the same grad rate now

Reaction Score
By the way, BigErn and CAHUSKY.

The UConn grad rate in 1998 (the last grad year before that article was written) was 33%. Actual grad rate.

Duke's grad rate in 1998? 40%.

So, tell me why UConn's players were treated so badly by the writer relative to Duke's players.

Reaction Score

The UConn grad rate in 1998 (the last grad year before that article was written) was 33%. Actual grad rate.

So, tell me why UConn's players were treated so badly by the writer relative to Duke's players.

Probably because he was sick of watching his Pitt teams get abused by the Huskies through the 90's.

Reaction Score

It was definitely a hack job and clearly the guy had an ulterior motive. But the article was written 16 years ago and the writer has been dead for five. Not to mention it was published in the Pottsburgh Post-Gazette which no one reads. I think we can just let this one go.

Reaction Score
It was definitely a hack job and clearly the guy had an ulterior motive. But the article was written 16 years ago and the writer has been dead for five. Not to mention it was published in the Pottsburgh Post-Gazette which no one reads. I think we can just let this one go.

It was not a pleasure going into that database to find that. People were asking for a citation.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score

Who cares? It was 16 years ago. I would just like to see more of our players, especially those not playing professionally for big $$$, get their degrees. That's my only point in this thread.

Reaction Score
Who cares? It was 16 years ago. I would just like to see more of our players, especially those not playing professionally for big $$$, get their degrees. That's my only point in this thread.

Holy cow, what is wrong with you people?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I don't mind being known as thugs on the basketball court. I like being more physical, I like overcoming better talent with better effort

that's what we are when we're best, blue collar thugs

and I simply don't value the opinion of media members, they have their own agenda, and they're not honest enough to acknowledge their own inherent bias

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

No way. Let's exhume the body and yell at it.

Reaction Score
A bunch of thugs! Ha! I lived in a dorm with Khalid, Rip and Kevin. They were always at practice or on the road so you never really got to know them, but they were hardly thugs. They were pretty friendly.

We likely lived on the same floor. Khalid lived with Souleymane Wane at the end of the hall. Khalid still owes me $5.

Reaction Score
We likely lived on the same floor. Khalid lived with Souleymane Wane at the end of the hall. Khalid still owes me $5.
Watson 5. I was done in 98. I lived in the triple.

Reaction Score
Off of that team three played professionally for really big money, one is still playing and two of them are assistant coaches at UConn where they won themselves a championship as players and coaches. A couple of others played professionally in Europe for a while, another one is a teacher and coach, another works for DCFS and does some coaching.

Reaction Score
I don't mind being known as thugs on the basketball court. I like being more physical, I like overcoming better talent with better effort

that's what we are when we're best, blue collar thugs

and I simply don't value the opinion of media members, they have their own agenda, and they're not honest enough to acknowledge their own inherent bias
Thug doesn't connotate playing physical and playing hard.

Reaction Score
This is less than 10% of the article so it meets fair use:

BEATING DUKE DOESN'T MAKE UCONN A WINNER
BY BRUCE KEIDAN
4 April 1999
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

* Pardon me if I don't get tingly all over because Gentleman Jim Calhoun and his UConn Huskies managed to upend mighty Duke in the Mother of All College Basketball Games.

I'm supposed to feel good because a school that graduates fewer than one basketball player in three wins the national championship by defeating a school from which nine players in 10 depart with a degree?

Here's a personal promise to Calhoun in lieu of heart-felt congratulations: If a simple majority of your supposed student-athletes who played for you Monday night leave your campus with a sheepskin in hand, I'll drive to Storr's and polish the championship trophy annually. I'll even supply the Brasso.

Go ahead. Make my day.

* Schools such as Connecticut doubtless will take full advantage of the recent appeals-court decision outlawing Proposition 16, which prohibited athletes from participating in varsity sports as college freshmen unless they achieved a modicum of success on standardized tests given to high school seniors. That's why the NCAA adopted Proposition 16 to begin with. But the court was right.

The fact of the matter is, the NCAA had no business telling its member institutions whom to admit, whom to give grants in aid, or whom to play. All that should be up to the individual institutions to decide. If UConn chooses to recruit and play an entire basketball team with a collective IQ in single digits, that's up to them. It's up to other schools to decide whether they want to play those teams or not.

The NCAA has neither the expertise nor the authority to tell Stanford which of its freshmen can dribble a basketball and carry an academic load simultaneously. Stanford knows best.

And if it makes bad, short-sighted decisions, it will pay for them in the end.

RIP Bruce Keidan

You could not be more wrong. Today, you'd be amongst the suck-ups to Pitino and Calipari. We (*at UConn) know better. Calhoun built a Better Man in his players over 4 decades.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
RIP Bruce Keidan

You could not be more wrong. Today, you'd be amongst the suck-ups to Pitino and Calipari. We (*at UConn) know better. Calhoun built a Better Man in his players over 4 decades.

what he and so many people seem to miss, JC prepared them for life, the best thing he could do for them

haters hate

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is less than 10% of the article so it meets fair use:

BEATING DUKE DOESN'T MAKE UCONN A WINNER
BY BRUCE KEIDAN
4 April 1999
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

* Pardon me if I don't get tingly all over because Gentleman Jim Calhoun and his UConn Huskies managed to upend mighty Duke in the Mother of All College Basketball Games.

I'm supposed to feel good because a school that graduates fewer than one basketball player in three wins the national championship by defeating a school from which nine players in 10 depart with a degree?

Here's a personal promise to Calhoun in lieu of heart-felt congratulations: If a simple majority of your supposed student-athletes who played for you Monday night leave your campus with a sheepskin in hand, I'll drive to Storr's and polish the championship trophy annually. I'll even supply the Brasso.

Go ahead. Make my day.

* Schools such as Connecticut doubtless will take full advantage of the recent appeals-court decision outlawing Proposition 16, which prohibited athletes from participating in varsity sports as college freshmen unless they achieved a modicum of success on standardized tests given to high school seniors. That's why the NCAA adopted Proposition 16 to begin with. But the court was right.

The fact of the matter is, the NCAA had no business telling its member institutions whom to admit, whom to give grants in aid, or whom to play. All that should be up to the individual institutions to decide. If UConn chooses to recruit and play an entire basketball team with a collective IQ in single digits, that's up to them. It's up to other schools to decide whether they want to play those teams or not.

The NCAA has neither the expertise nor the authority to tell Stanford which of its freshmen can dribble a basketball and carry an academic load simultaneously. Stanford knows best.

And if it makes bad, short-sighted decisions, it will pay for them in the end.

Butt·hurt
[ˈbətˌhərt]

ADJECTIVE
  1. overly or unjustifiably offended or resentful:
    "they're all butthurt that she released the album online first"
NOUN
  1. an excessive or unjustifiable feeling of personal offence or resentment:
    "it's time to get over the butthurt from last year's playoffs"
Oxford Dictionaries · © Oxford University Press

Reaction Score
Butt·hurt
[ˈbətˌhərt]

ADJECTIVE
  1. overly or unjustifiably offended or resentful:
    "they're all butthurt that she released the album online first"
NOUN
  1. an excessive or unjustifiable feeling of personal offence or resentment:
    "it's time to get over the butthurt from last year's playoffs"
Oxford Dictionaries · © Oxford University Press
Nice job using vulgarity on the forum, really classy. Ultimately, your choices are your own.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Off of that team three played professionally for really big money, one is still playing and two of them are assistant coaches at UConn where they won themselves a championship as players and coaches. A couple of others played professionally in Europe for a while, another one is a teacher and coach, another works for DCFS and does some coaching.
And they wouldn't be coaching at Uconn if they hadn't received their degrees. Awesome that they did.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Holy cow, what is wrong with you people?
Because I don't care abut a 16 year old article written by a guy who has been dead 5 years and I want Uconn players to graduate? You're right, I'm nuts.

Reaction Score
Watson 5. I was done in 98. I lived in the triple.

Yep. I think my room was 510. That was my junior year. Pretty sure we had more damage charges than any other floor on campus that year . . .

Reaction Score
And they wouldn't be coaching at Uconn if they hadn't received their degrees. Awesome that they did.
Yes but Freeman graduated many years later so he reflects poorly on our graduation rate from that time. This is the case with many kids, they leave early to make money playing professionally somewhere and then come back years later to finish their studies.

Reaction Score
Because I don't care abut a 16 year old article written by a guy who has been dead 5 years and I want Uconn players to graduate? You're right, I'm nuts.

No, because you made a point about how it was somewhat deserved since UConn had a low grad rate compared to Duke, and when I showed the rates were close, you wrote "I don't care!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom