Purvis Returning | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Purvis Returning

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yeah, but that's not what you did. What you did was you called everybody who disagreed with you overreacting a-h0les, including me, young fella. What you did in your counterargument was you narrowed the scope of your attack to a scope that is so narrow that everybody agrees with it (I defend players, darn it!!).

We can agree that no player should be attacked personally, but for anything that happens on the court, it's fair game. That's the whole point of this message board.

This is complete nonsense, and, ironically, it's where you completely lose all perspective. It's called "having a different opinion." Any time you catch yourself in life making an absolute statement like "anybody who ------ must be ------" you're simply stating your own bias, and not sagely pointing out the bias of others.

Here's an example - "Anybody who votes for (Trump/Hillary, pick one) doesn't understand politics." That's an absolute statement alleging a fault or bias, but is itself a terribly biased comment to make.

I think Purvis offers very little value to the team (but more than zero). I'd be happy to have somebody else come in and try to provide that value.

Winning teams aren't built on streaky players who are prone to making foolish mistakes on the court. The guy is not, in my view, a team player. He makes those around him worse, not better. Again, I don't believe it's a selfishness thing, it's just the way he plays the game. So when I look at his 20 points on the night he has a good scoring game, I'm also looking for his impact on everybody else.

The bias here is not my opinion that we'd be better off without him next year, the bias is in you believing that my opinion can only be underpinned by a personal hatred/dislike/bias against Purvis the person.

I know that's a tough concept for a young, fired up person to understand, and you'll no doubt get some help ignoring it from the people who agree with you on Purvis' basketball impact on the team, but give it a shot . . . .

Hey, we all do it to an extent. I, for one, can't believe anybody isn't questioning Ollie at this point, but I do leave open the possibility that they actually believe all is well and only more time is needed, foreign as that is to me . . .

You remind me of me at age 20. Believe me when I say that you'll wake up one day and giggle when you think about the man you used to be (not in a bad way, necessarily).

Maybe you are over-reacting and losing perspective?
On the facts, calling our top scorer and best defensive player valueless, regardless how flawed and frustrating he is, seems silly. We have a team of flawed, frustrating players.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
And shooting better than 44% at the free throw line.

If you're going to quote stats, at least check them out. Rodney is a bit over 60% for the season, but more importantly, he appears to have cleaned up his FT woes. Since the first of the year (an 18 game sample), he is shooting 71.5% from the line (30 of 42). We have enough real problems on this team to be harping on ones that have already been fixed.

Reaction Score
It would be awesome to have him back for another year. Not without his flaws, but he had gotten better every season and we will definitely be better having more experience and continuity on the roster next season. Hope it is true.

Reaction Score
Maybe you are over-reacting and losing perspective?
On the facts, calling our top scorer and best defensive player valueless, regardless how flawed and frustrating he is, seems silly. We have a team of flawed, frustrating players.

Yes flawed and frustrating but not all play defense, we know Rodney does!

Reaction Score
I don't mind Purvis coming back if Ollie learns to run sets that gets guys open 3's with their feet set (wish we were doing it this year with Gibbs). Purvis is a shaky ball handler and Adams/Alterique need to be running the show next year.

1. Adams
2. Purvis
3. Hamilton
4. Enoch/Larrier/Facey
5. Brimah

6th man: Alterique

Sure, playing Brimah and Enoch at the same time may be a bad idea but I think it could work. Enoch has shown a nice stroke. If he learns KO's defensive principles I think he can play the 4.
I rather have this lineup:
1. Adams
2. Purvis
3. Larrier
4. DHAM
5. Enoch

This allow DHAM to play his more natural 4 at the college level. He can cover the slower guys and get bye them easier and rebound even there. I don't really want to see AB as a starter as I think he has proven he just isn't high division 1 material. Let's give the keys to SE who can handle himself inside due to his stronger physique and better hands while being a true low post scorer which we will need next year with SM leaving. Great news if RP comes back. UCONN can make a run next year.

Reaction Score
Still don't think he'll start next year. I think it should be Adams, Gilbert, Larrier, Hamilton, Brimah.
What is all these starting lineup's with AB. After last night I'm through seeing him anymore than spot minutes. I have watched enough in 3 years to know he isn't high division 1 center material. Love the kid but he is a very weak basketball player and has horrible fundamentals. Time to move on to our younger guys.

Reaction Score
What is all these starting lineup's with AB. After last night I'm through seeing him anymore than spot minutes. I have watched enough in 3 years to know he isn't high division 1 center material. Love the kid but he is a very weak basketball player and has horrible fundamentals. Time to move on to our younger guys.

Who would start over him? Enoch? Durham will probably use his RS next year if I had to guess. Zach Brown isn't coming next year. So that leaves just Brimah @ Center

Reaction Score
SE would start see my other post. SE already is playing there and has the body and post game to play there. He just needs to improve his D which he has been doing. It isn't like AB is some great defensive center. He just block shots.

Reaction Score
Yes. I could not believe it. I turned the game on 3 minutes in and on the floor were Brimah, Facey, Hamilton, Purvis and Cassell. I am a KO apologist but come on. Biggest game of the year, game we had to have and he has our 3rd team point guard on the floor? what. And Sam does seem like a point guard to me. Nice 1 handed pass. He does that and Gibbs does it. I taught my 7th grade AAU players not to do that.

Adams was hurt and ill. Cassell hadn't played in weeks, but if Adams couldn't go was going to have to give them some minutes. KO did EXACTLY what Calhous always did in that situation, which is give the kid who hadn't been playing a short stint early so that if he was needed later he would have already seen the flow of the game.

But hey -- what did JC know about using seldom used players compared to you.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
The level of f@cktardedness exhibited in this thread makes me embarrassed to be a UConn fan. A skilled, tremendously experienced 5th year senior who is an exemplary ambassador of the program may want to come back and we have a thread full of people who don't want him. Truly a testament to the mental ineptitude of our fellow Bonyarders.

Reaction Score
Does anybody remember 3 years ago how much we used to debate whether Rodney was going to play point or the 2 when he got here? Seems so funny to even think about him as a PG now, but he was supposedly transferring here to play point, after Gotfried wouldn't let him at NC State. No attempt to be critical of RP here, just funny how many months we went back and forth on that.

Reaction Score
Are the people on drugs who DONT want Rodney back next year? The kid is a GOOD player. Yeah he's not a "Superstar" but how many people are. The kid plays the game 110% at all times. How many other guys on our team can you say that about? His hustle is second to none. Yeah not a great FT shooter. His numbers are better. We need to get back to running the court and full court pressure. No idea why we are not doing that right now. Those have ALWAYS been trademarks of UConn basketball. Do the haters watch the games with your eyes closed? Because obviously we are a much better team if Rodney comes back.

Reaction Score
I see many people on this board overhyping Larrier. I really don't think he starts right away. Yes, he's good but he had a putrid offensive rating at VCU. Granted he was a freshman and by the time he suits up for us to play in a real game 2 years will have passed but I still think Purvis should start from day 1 if he returns.

A little bit of a side note but I think Purvis never should have been demoted to the bench. He has an ego (my friend is a manager and is around the team quite often) and it took a hit when he was moved to the bench. He was arguably our best performing player when Adams replaced him in the starting line up. Hind sight is 20/20 but I think it should've been Gibbs. And as for next year you don't start Alterique over Purvis or there will be chemistry issues again.

Reaction Score
I see many people on this board overhyping Larrier. I really don't think he starts right away. Yes, he's good but he had a putrid offensive rating at VCU. Granted he was a freshman and by the time he suits up for us to play in a real game 2 years will have passed but I still think Purvis should start from day 1 if he returns.

A little bit of a side note but I think Purvis never should have been demoted to the bench. He has an ego (my friend is a manager and is around the team quite often) and it took a hit when he was moved to the bench. He was arguably our best performing player and Adams replaced him in the starting line up. Hind sight is 20/20 but I think it should've been Gibbs. And as for next year you don't start Alterique over Purvis or there will be chemistry issues again.
To be fair, he played in havoc, which meant he was encouraged to put up a number to terrible shots.

That said, tempering expectations is best for all involved.

Reaction Score
To be fair, he played in havoc, which meant he was encouraged to put up a number to terrible shots.

That said, tempering expectations is best for all involved.
Exactly. Just feel bad for these kids (ala Purvis) who get especially criticized after others overhype the crap out of them. Purvis isn't a bad player. But when Calhoun said he was the best player in practice on a team that had Shabazz, Boat and Daniels, and when Ollie referred to him as a ferrari they were setting him up for failure. The only way he could've lived up to that hype was to be an all american. Not fair.

Like you said, temper the expectations so we can limit the banter against Larrier that I already know we'll be hearing come November/December.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Anyone who wants Enoch starting over Brimah had better enjoy seeing the opposing team in the bonus early and often.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As stupid as it sounds to all those who want RP and KO out, I think Purv will bring the experience that the team will need at either guard position
With SG gone, I think you will see a different RP

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
As stupid as it sounds to all those who want RP and KO out, I think Purv will bring the experience that the team will need at either guard position
With SG gone, I think you will see a different RP

As not someone who wants KO and RP out, I don't see that Rodney will bring anything to our need for another PG. I think the team really needs a backup the backup point guard in case of injury. Surprised to see us looking at a SG when we remain so vulnerable with limited ball-handlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom