Purvis Returning | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Purvis Returning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good god. This is a miserable bunch.
After the last few games you really think he is good defensive center? I love his attitude but he is really overmatched at this level. One good game against smu doesnt make a good case for him. I prefer SE and hope he starts next year.

Reaction Score
And anybody who says differently has absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Unfortunately that describes too many posters on this board.
People thought Purvis would be something different than he is. Further, he has flaws which are magnified due to the inherent weaknesses of the last two teams (both of which were lack of a consistent second ball-handler).

Accept him for what he is--a good shooting guard or sixth man who can catch fire, play defense, yet disappears for stretches--and you'll grow to appreciate him more. Especially since he's such a great and sincere young man.

Reaction Score
Anyone who wants Enoch starting over Brimah had better enjoy seeing the opposing team in the bonus early and often.

Things do happen in the summer from freshman year to sophomore, not for all, but for some. No one believes now he can or even will, but it's not out of the question. The ceiling is much higher.

Reaction Score
After the last few games you really think he is good defensive center? I love his attitude but he is really overmatched at this level. One good game against smu doesnt make a good case for him. I prefer SE and hope he starts next year.
So now he's not even a good defensive center? Because of the past few games? Don't get me wrong, I like what I've seen from Enoch, but there's no way he's a better option right now. No chance. If KO swapped their minutes, I think you'd be singing a different tune.

Reaction Score
So now he's not even a good defensive center? Because of the past few games? Don't get me wrong, I like what I've seen from Enoch, but there's no way he's a better option right now. No chance. If KO swapped their minutes, I think you'd be singing a different tune.

He has his games but how were you feeling after the 1/4/2 against a good team the other night. I mean he's the guy right now, SE is not ready, but a year later could prove 3rdbass has the right idea. For our sake, I hope he does.

You know what's even better, they both improve so they can play together at times. Problem is one hasn't all that much so we need to lay our hopes on this kid to bring some substance to the middle next year, in addition to AB of course.

Reaction Score
He has his games but how were you feeling after the 1/4/2 against a good team the other night. I mean he's the guy right now, SE is not ready, but a year later could prove 3rdbass has the right idea. For our sake, I hope he does.

You know what's even better, they both improve so they can play together at times. Problem is one hasn't all that much so we need to lay our hopes on this kid to bring some substance to the middle next year, in addition to AB of course.
Of course he struggled the other night. So did everybody else. But to say that he's not a good defender is laughable. Teams have to gameplan around him because of his presence in the middle. The defense was exposed against SMU, no doubt about it. But I didn't think Amida played nearly as badly defensively as the guards did. They were getting beat left and right, leaving AB stuck defending both the ball handler and his man, resulting in dunks and alley oops.

I will say he isn't a great rebounder and that needs to improve. Ideally, your second point will pan out and they will both be reliable players in the middle for us. Only time will tell.

Reaction Score
Of course he struggled the other night. So did everybody else. But to say that he's not a good defender is laughable. Teams have to gameplan around him because of his presence in the middle. The defense was exposed against SMU, no doubt about it. But I didn't think Amida played nearly as badly defensively as the guards did. They were getting beat left and right, leaving AB stuck defending both the ball handler and his man, resulting in dunks and alley oops.

I will say he isn't a great rebounder and that needs to improve. Ideally, your second point will pan out and they will both be reliable players in the middle for us. Only time will tell.

He is a very good shot blocker but not a great overall defender, just my opinion. Of course he won DPOY so I'm stupid I get that/ But teams have figured it out, they let him block a few but go right at him most of the time. He was totally lost when they went baseline the other night a few times and spun him around like a top, he was never in the right place. He went out to meet Nic twice instead of sitting back and he blew by him. There's so much more to D than blocking shots. He blocked 2 in the first 2 minutes and was never a factor down there again. He's the guy for now but we will need to get better fast, this year which is too late, and next year. Whether it's him or SE we will need improvement and more consistency.

Look he wasn't the only one, some of the guards made him work harder but that's why he's back there right, to make the good decisions. I actually believe this year he's been worst with that than the first 2 overall. Need him to be closer to the first SMU game for us to be a factor the rest of this year for sure.

Reaction Score
He is a very good shot blocker but not a great overall defender, just my opinion. Of course he won DPOY so I'm stupid I get that/ But teams have figured it out, they let him block a few but go right at him most of the time. He was totally lost when they went baseline the other night a few times and spun him around like a top, he was never in the right place. He went out to meet Nic twice instead of sitting back and he blew by him. There's so much more to D than blocking shots. He blocked 2 in the first 2 minutes and was never a factor down there again. He's the guy for now but we will need to get better fast, this year which is too late, and next year. Whether it's him or SE we will need improvement and more consistency.

Look he wasn't the only one, some of the guards made him work harder but that's why he's back there right, to make the good decisions. I actually believe this year he's been worst with that than the first 2 overall. Need him to be closer to the first SMU game for us to be a factor the rest of this year for sure.
I think we're both right to certain degrees. At the end of the day, everybody needs to be better than they've been lately. I think they have the ability to do it, just not sure if there's time to get it together. Here's to hoping.

Reaction Score
I think we're both right to certain degrees. At the end of the day, everybody needs to be better than they've been lately. I think they have the ability to do it, just not sure if there's time to get it together. Here's to hoping.

Agree we're both right;). We can dream

Reaction Score
Not at all surprised he's coming back. Outside of a recent mitigating family financial circumstance, there was no reason to think he'd go to Europe or anywhere else when his, and this program's stock is as low as it is right now.

That said, I'm glad to have him back. He's one of the lowest IQ guys I can ever remember having a prominent role on a UConn team, but he's bringing experience and has times where he hits 3-4 3's in a row and is solid defensively. I'd love to see him play with a chip on his shoulder next year and play through contact.

Reaction Score

When you think about the great defenses we used to have, there were always two guys. Okafor and Boone. Voskuhl and Freeman. Thabeet and Adrien. With Kemba's team, Roscoe Smith played the part of sidekick.

We simply have not had that second guy that would allow our center to anchor. It should have been Facey.

Reaction Score
When you think about the great defenses we used to have, there were always two guys. Okafor and Boone. Voskuhl and Freeman. Thabeet and Adrien. With Kemba's team, Roscoe Smith played the part of sidekick.

We simply have not had that second guy that would allow our center to anchor. It should have been Facey.

Brimah and purvis..

Reaction Score
Way more upside with SE!! We have seen AB for 3 years and realize how limited he is. I rather work for next year as the way this team is composed we don't have any chance to do anything special this year.

Reaction Score
Could we stop this lunacy. Hamilton has been very disappointing this year, but he has tools. Larrier played a full season on a ranked A-Ten Team. Exactly what did you see in his play that makes you conclude that he is going to make us better by taking Hamilton's minutes? Or are we supposed to just ignore a full season of results because Hamilton has disappointed you?

A full season of results? Sure he's got intangibles but this guy FOLDS time and time again. Does not have a killer instinct and is one of the worst on ball defenders I can remember in a Uconn Jersey. Larrier will make us better because he'll be coming in fresh as a strong athletic role player with a similar body type who can grab the rebounds Hamilton did. Hamilton should not be the focal point of this team/offense moving into next year. I'm thinking we need to slide that over to Jalen and Alterique. Take the green light away from Hamilton until he starts to play some defense. For the rest of this year I'm completely fine with bashing Hamilton & Gibbs...they've earned it.

Reaction Score
I think it's fair to say some competition for minutes could help DHam.

The defensive lapses, the terrible body language, the terrible decision-making are often left unpunished since he is the most talented player on the roster.

JC always said the bench was the coach's best ally / motivator and KO needs that with DHam.

I think all of DHam's flaws are totally fixable and he can be an all-time great here. But the next time he commits an egregious TO under no duress and then jogs back and allows a blow by or uncontested three - TL can check in for extended time. I think TL will be better than people expect. We have reduced our expectations for him because so many underperformed the past two years relative to their expectations. He's 6-7/6-8 a great athlete with solid skill set.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Coach Brown goofed in our first meeting. He over compensated to prevent our fast break and it let us do much better at rebounding.
But he is no fool and made adjustments to destroy us in the second meeting.
Of course we played much better in the first game and much worse in the rematch, but it started with Brown's adjustments.

Reaction Score
Coach Brown goofed in our first meeting. He over compensated to prevent our fast break and it let us do much better at rebounding.
But he is no fool and made adjustments to destroy us in the second meeting.
Of course we played much better in the first game and much worse in the rematch, but it started with Brown's adjustments.

Hard to tell because we gave no effort the second game. White flag time.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I think it's fair to say some competition for minutes could help DHam.

The defensive lapses, the terrible body language, the terrible decision-making are often left unpunished since he is the most talented player on the roster.

JC always said the bench was the coach's best ally / motivator and KO needs that with DHam.

I think all of DHam's flaws are totally fixable and he can be an all-time great here. But the next time he commits an egregious TO under no duress and then jogs back and allows a blow by or uncontested three - TL can check in for extended time. I think TL will be better than people expect. We have reduced our expectations for him because so many underperformed the past two years relative to their expectations. He's 6-7/6-8 a great athlete with solid skill set.

The key to next year's team might be the degree that Daniel and Rodney can come back and accept more defined and somewhat narrower roles. Neither should be primary ball-handlers or playmakers, but ones who get their points within the "flow" that we pray our offense can have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom