Purvis Really? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Purvis Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know what you are looking at if you think Purvis is a good defender.

He is. Pretty sure the announcer mentioned it too. But those who see what they want to see, well you know.:rolleyes:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Reading these responses are funny because the way people evaluate talent causes me to chuckle. When people are saying Purvis is not a good defender, who exactly are they comparing him to? Because unless you're comparing him to boat is a better defender than everyone else. Purvis was absolutely over hyped relative to his current play but you have to be realistic when evaluating these players.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't know what you are looking at if you think Purvis is a good defender.
We'll just have to disagree on this one. I'll have to isolate him to really analyze this in detail. But I felt he was one of the few bright spots defensively. Even Ryan had a tough game closing out on the perimeter this game. TSam had his third game in a row in which he was consistently losing his player. DHam was the player guarding Nichols for most of the first half and that says about as much as anyone needs to know about defensive liabilities. Not down on DHam, but feel that in fairness to people denigrating Rodney they are not evaluating the team in the entirety.

KO pulled DHam and put in KF to cover Nichols and that was a disaster. The offense bogged down. It was only when Goodwin went out with foul trouble that DHam was moved off of Nichols. But then his problems continued with losing his player. If people isolate the defense of Rodney and DHam they will most likely observe that very few points were scored by Rodney's player and a lot of points were scored by the players DHam was guarding. My quick impression is that even with the stellar offensive performance by DHam he would be a net negative in this game if one factors his direct defensive liabilities. And even with Rodney's poor offensive performance he would be a net positive in this game considering that his players rarely scored on him.

Reaction Score
Shhh! Don't wake up those fools please!
He may be physically gifted, but his basketball talents have been grossly overrated. Pretty good defense, but not a ball-handler, not a passer, and not a shooter, from anywhere. Not a very high BB IQ either from what I've seen this year. Can get streaky though, and that's why he's playing. Poor Boat is being denied by 3 people every game. Someone desperately needs to help.

Yeah that's pretty much what I see. And implied in my post. I do think his D is somewhat streaky as well, very good at times not some much other times.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He is. Pretty sure the announcer mentioned it too. But those who see what they want to see, well you know.:rolleyes:
My bad. If Dave O'Brien says something it must true. After all, he is a Sox announcer.

Reaction Score
Mrs Purvis I know you love your son, but his free throw shooting is terrible. Consider taking stats.
Kind of sad that an alleged adult is so cognitively inflexible and so clearly struggles with abstraction...

Reaction Score
Rodney plays solid D no doubt.

His problem stems from over hypeness. By the coaches, announcers and some on this board. He doesn't look like an HS All American. And by the way he didn't become an All American by playing good D. So he is getting judge based on his hypeness.

Tsam is terrible but no one, except for that guy who said he'd be drafted, thought we would get more than solid back up minutes.

So for me the delta between what I thought they would be is much wider for RP. Thus my disappointment is greater.

With that, I agree with Mau, we only have 3 players who should be shooting other than layups and that's Boat, Dham and RP.

This team is what it is.

Reaction Score
I find most people make the same mistakes throughout life. In that case RP is normal. For instance we've advised people in this forum not to form any opinions about players until they actually observed a season of play. And yet every year people buy into the hype without seeing one game.

And then we have people advising people not to buy into the hype only to observe that every year they are wasting their effort offering this advice. And yet people continue to offer the advice and get frustrated.

Funny how those of us that continuously make repeated mistakes struggle with others who continuously make repeated mistakes.

Here's what I'm working on. I watch the game and try to evaluate play with the least amount of frustration as possible. I don't mean the bs type where I claim it and am burning up inside. Nor do I want to lose interest and passion with the team. I mean a genuine change in not be negatively affected by a situation I can't control. Man is that tough. I'll let you know when I'm there.

But no matter how frustrated I get with any player or poster, the one thing I will always do is resist the temptation to pile on when every one else feels the need to do so. Venting is one thing. The need to take vengeance is another.

I usually agree with you and your sentiment here is no exception. I rarely kvetch about players and don't think I am "piling on" by any stretch nor do I think these comments inappropriate for a sports message board.

I do get frustrated as well a elated (BTW I prefer the latter emotion) and everything between as, I suspect, is true for most fans.

I was simply stating the obvious. It is what it is at this point in time. And that's what frustrates peeps.
The good news with young players is that it doesn't always have to be as it currently is. If they are willing to work to change whats not working.

However we all know change ie improvement is not so easy. First it requires recognizing there is a problem and having the desire and will to change. It requires hard work and dedication as well as focus. One would think all this is implicit to choosing to compete in D1 sports. I'm sure I'm not saying anything the coaching staff hasn't said a zillion times.

You'd also think not repeatedly stepping out of bounds or passing to the emperors new teamate would be a reasonably easy thing to correct....but I think it's representative of the bigger issue for RP and the team TO issue......

Is Ram Das still alive? Available?
KO can add "Be here now" to "Ten toes in" and other 'isms.

And as Doris Burke voiced (my long standing observation) You'd think a guy, who's "bread and butter" is driving to the hoop, would figure out the importance of drawing fouls and invest the time to learn to be successful at the line. If only he would his ppg would, at the least, double. FT are not called Free for nada and you can't be a lead guard or be on the floor in "crunch time" if you continually brick FT, assuming there are other options available.

He seems like a very nice kid, on a team of nice kids but this is about being competitive...or not.

I just know you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink ain't a cliché for nada.
You gotta want it! And work for it. We'll see where we go with these guys.

I'm not quitting on them. And again it is what it is...warts and all.

Sometimes it is not what one says rather how one says it and that is subjective ... to interpretation.

I'm not clear if that constitutes "piling on " from your point of view.
This is not mean spirited. "Piling on" was never my intention!

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Kind of sad that an alleged adult is so cognitively inflexible and so clearly struggles with abstraction...
I don't see enough of his posts to know if this retort is accurate, but I know one or ten posters who I've seen enough evidence to make this assertion.

Did you read the study that demonstrated the region in the brain that most likely demonstrates the biological correlation for people who are more or less likely to be flexible?

Reaction Score
I don't see enough of his posts to know if this retort is accurate, but I know one or ten posters who I've seen enough evidence to make this assertion.
I'm just using his responses to my comments in this thread. I was commenting at a higher level than just Purvis. He clearly hasn't comprehending that.
Did you read the study that demonstrated the region in the brain that most likely demonstrates the biological correlation for people who are more or less likely to be flexible?
"The" study? Not sure exactly what you're talking about, but I'm in graduate school for speech pathology and one large part of our field is assessing cognition. Cognitive flexibility is an aspect of executive functions, which are not relegated to a single region, but function is grossly located in medial frontal and prefrontal areas. But by their nature, executive functions take information from the rest of the brain, integrate it, and use it for various functions, including abstract thinking that requires flexibility and pure abstraciton skills. As far as biological correlates, there's obviously damage to these general regions, be it via stroke/TBI/dementia, and there are developmental syndromes/disorders that tend to cause deficits.

By "abstraction" I mean zooming out and seeing a bigger picture: a common way I test people with regards to this in the hospital is I ask how a banana and an orange are alike, how a bike and train are alike, and how a watch and ruler are alike. The patient is supposed to be able to cognitively "zoom out," look past each item's concrete features such as they have peels/they have wheels/they have numbers on them, and state how they are related at a more abstract level. We look for the patient to say they're both fruits/forms of transportation/instruments of measurement.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I usually agree with you and your sentiment here is no exception. I rarely kvetch about players and don't think I am "piling on" by any stretch nor do I think these comments inappropriate for a sports message board.

I do get frustrated as well a elated (BTW I prefer the latter emotion) and everything between as, I suspect, is true for most fans.

I was simply stating the obvious. It is what it is at this point in time. And that's what frustrates peeps.
The good news with young players is that it doesn't always have to be as it currently is. If they are willing to work to change whats not working.

However we all know change ie improvement is not so easy. First it requires recognizing there is a problem and having the desire and will to change. It requires hard work and dedication as well as focus. One would think all this is implicit to choosing to compete in D1 sports. I'm sure I'm not saying anything the coaching staff hasn't said a zillion times.

You'd also think not repeatedly stepping out of bounds or passing to the emperors new teamate would be a reasonably easy thing to correct....but I think it's representative of the bigger issue for RP and the team TO issue.

Is Ram Das still alive? Available?
KO can add "Be here now" to "Ten toes in" and other 'isms.

And as Doris Burke voiced (my long standing observation) You'd think a guy, who's "bread and butter" is driving to the hoop, would figure out the importance of drawing fouls and invest the time to learn to be successful at the line. If only he would his ppg would, at the least, double. FT are not called Free for nada and you can't be a lead guard or be on the floor in "crunch time" if you continually brick FT, assuming there are other options available.

He seems like a very nice kid, on a team of nice kids but this is about being competitive...or not.

I just know you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink ain't a cliché for nada.
You gotta want it! And work for it. We'll see where we go with these guys.

I'm not quitting on them. And again it is what it is...warts and all.

Sometimes it is not what one says rather how one says it and that is subjective ... to interpretation.

I'm not clear if that constitutes "piling on " from your point of view.

This is not mean spirited. "Piling on" was never my intention!
Actually I didn't exactly know if you were down on RP or not in the post I originally responded to. I just thought I would use your post to discuss a broader issue. Believe me I understand that not everyone who is critical of Rodney is piling on. You included. It's difficult in a forum where everyone is contributing so many things to address all of the issues individually with everyone.

Regarding this post I agree with you on several things but would add a few qualifiers. It takes many things to be competent. Most of the people in this forum understand some of the parameters. But the complete package is woefully misunderstood imo.

The physical aspect of the game is usually understood greater than the intellectual ability of the game and that is usually understood greater than the emotional and social abilities for a player to perform at an optimum level. Sadly there are people who struggle with understanding the physical components. And there are a few who might even understand the mental, emotional and social aspects of a player more than the physical. But that is rare.

The perfect player has the physical attributes and skills plus the understanding of the intricacies of the game plus the ability to not let adversity impact play as well as the drive to perfect their game. Yet even this specimen would struggle if there are mental and emotional blocks.

Specifically to your point and to @mauconnfan who has similar concerns about players. The will and desire to improve, and the dedication to do this, can't always overcome a lack of confidence or a lack of self esteem for instance. I would also add not everyone who appears confident or comfortable with themselves is actually confident or comfortable. You would be surprised at how much self sabotage exists because people were constantly told as young children they are inadequate. And it doesn't have to be repeated or generalized. It could be one extreme incident (think the play Equus or PTSD). The nature of our brain and the physical processes that takes place within it are much better understood by professionals than the average population. Which is a shame imo.

Tens if not hundreds of millions of neurons combine in pathways that reinforce behavior (think language development taking place in the cortex or free throw shooting in our cerebellum plus cortex) and if they have been reinforced for many years in early development they will resist later attempts at pathway formation that we try to create to overcome them (think fear to the dental drill or free throw shooting). It's like asking a sandbag or several million sandbags to stop a 100 foot tidal wave.

Tangentially there is an area in the brain dedicated to flexibility and another to compassion. Some people have large areas that are very active and on the opposite end of the spectrum there are people who have small areas that are very inactive. And some lack these areas altogether (sociopaths, psychopaths). Sadly the people who are most likely to want to hurt others lack or have weakened abilities in the physical nature of their brain to be flexible or show compassion. And it can be specific as opposed to generalized. For instance we frequently transpose our anger to someone who appears similar to someone who hurt us previously even as we are generally compassionate and forgiving individuals.

I would find it extremely unlikely that all of us are gifted in every aspect that would make us an ideal human specimen. Understanding why (the physical nature of how we work) would begin to reduce some of the tensions that exist between us. But we would still need to do a lot of work to have universal tolerance.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm just using his responses to my comments in this thread. I was commenting at a higher level than just Purvis. He clearly hasn't comprehending that.

"The" study? Not sure exactly what you're talking about, but I'm in graduate school for speech pathology and one large part of our field is assessing cognition. Cognitive flexibility is an aspect of executive functions, which are not relegated to a single region, but function is grossly located in medial frontal and prefrontal areas. But by their nature, executive functions take information from the rest of the brain, integrate it, and use it for various functions, including abstract thinking that requires flexibility and pure abstraciton skills. As far as biological correlates, there's obviously damage to these general regions, be it via stroke/TBI/dementia, and there are developmental syndromes/disorders that tend to cause deficits.

By "abstraction" I mean zooming out and seeing a bigger picture: a common way I test people with regards to this in the hospital is I ask how a banana and an orange are alike, how a bike and train are alike, and how a watch and ruler are alike. The patient is supposed to be able to cognitively "zoom out," look past each item's concrete features such as they have peels/they have wheels/they have numbers on them, and state how they are related at a more abstract level. We look for the patient to say they're both fruits/forms of transportation/instruments of measurement.
I got that. Wasn't intended to negate what you were doing. I was pointing out there are posters who employ this with greater frequency and vitriol.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

The study was the employment of MRI's in observing brain activity when people were asked a series of true false questions rapidly. Some people, after a series of false statements, or true statements, were able to make the adjustment when the condition changed and some struggled. The activity observed by the MRIs in a certain area of the prefrontal cortex was larger and had greater activity among people who were able to make the change versus those that were unable to do so. Pretty much reflects what you wrote. They just identified the region that most likely is responsible for flexibility. It received a lot of flack because someone recognized there was a decent corollary to flexibility and political affiliation.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Purvis has not played well this year - he's not alone there, but given the Ferrari comments, he stands out. (And he's a lousy free-throw shooter...that's not an anomaly. He's just 50/50 from the line going back to high school. A good number of his offensive issues seem to orbit around a fear of going to the free throw line.)

But he's just not as bad as he's shown.

This year is a lost cause - perhaps he comes back next year, (in better shape), and doesn't quite feel the same pressure he seems to be under right now. I think he'll play much better.

One thing about the stepping out of bounds....he is the greatest out-of-bounds-stepper we've had here since Dion Carson. It's really impressive.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Does Burke mentioned this last night- Purvis' game relies on him being able to slash and attack the rim...if you do that, you've got to be a decent FT guy because otherwise it severely limits your offensive output.

I'd also like to see him tighten up his release on deep shots.

Reaction Score
Actually I didn't exactly know if you were down on RP or not in the post I originally responded to. I just thought I would use your post to discuss a broader issue. Believe me I understand that not everyone who is critical of Rodney is piling on. You included. It's difficult in a forum where everyone is contributing so many things to address all of the issues individually with everyone.

Regarding this post I agree with you on several things but would add a few qualifiers. It takes many things to be competent. Most of the people in this forum understand some of the parameters. But the complete package is woefully misunderstood imo.

The physical aspect of the game is usually understood greater than the intellectual ability of the game and that is usually understood greater than the emotional and social abilities for a player to perform at an optimum level. Sadly there are people who struggle with understanding the physical components. And there are a few who might even understand the mental, emotional and social aspects of a player more than the physical. But that is rare.

The perfect player has the physical attributes and skills plus the understanding of the intricacies of the game plus the ability to not let adversity impact play as well as the drive to perfect their game. Yet even this specimen would struggle if there are mental and emotional blocks.

Specifically to your point and to @mauconnfan who has similar concerns about players. The will and desire to improve, and the dedication to do this, can't always overcome a lack of confidence or a lack of self esteem for instance. I would also add not everyone who appears confident or comfortable with themselves is actually confident or comfortable. You would be surprised at how much self sabotage exists because people were constantly told as young children they are inadequate. And it doesn't have to be repeated or generalized. It could be one extreme incident (think the play Equus or PTSD). The nature of our brain and the physical processes that takes place within it are much better understood by professionals than the average population. Which is a shame imo.

Tens if not hundreds of millions of neurons combine in pathways that reinforce behavior (think language development taking place in the cortex or free throw shooting in our cerebellum plus cortex) and if they have been reinforced for many years in early development they will resist later attempts at pathway formation that we try to create to overcome them (think fear to the dental drill or free throw shooting). It's like asking a sandbag or several million sandbags to stop a 100 foot tidal wave.

Tangentially there is an area in the brain dedicated to flexibility and another to compassion. Some people have large areas that are very active and on the opposite end of the spectrum there are people who have small areas that are very inactive. And some lack these areas altogether (sociopaths, psychopaths). Sadly the people who are most likely to want to hurt others lack or have weakened abilities in the physical nature of their brain to be flexible or show compassion. And it can be specific as opposed to generalized. For instance we frequently transpose our anger to someone who appears similar to someone who hurt us previously even as we are generally compassionate and forgiving individuals.

I would find it extremely unlikely that all of us are gifted in every aspect that would make us an ideal human specimen. Understanding why (the physical nature of how we work) would begin to reduce some of the tensions that exist between us. But we would still need to do a lot of work to have universal tolerance.

Thoughtful and well presented as usual and I do understand and agree with more than you might think. My qualifier though is that I choose to believe free will has and can overcome many circumstances.

Although many years removed from college with a double major biology and psychology I do still have a basic understanding of developmental and behavioral psychology, as well as biochemical aspects of behavioral neuroscience.

BTW I chose to take a different more artistic career path which requires both observation, analysis and compassion as well as an endless need/desire to improve which I guess is my world view.

If you are suggesting a need for a sports psychologist beyond KO,that might not be a bad idea.

I just don't think one simply "tolerates" everything in life with a broad brush stroke. There is much we should tolerate as a society and don't. I'm sure we would agree on almost all of them and at the same time, to clarify, my view, on tolerance is contextual and not something I subscribe to as a person, artist,an athlete or Toltec "warrior" without trying to evolve and make improvements .

If you are suggesting a coach, fan or player should tolerate 40% FT shooting because someone was traumatized as a child or X,Y,Z reason. My response is that player sits in favor of someone that can do the job. The reality is that's life. In this context toleration equals complacency and will just beget more of the same.

It's such a blessing to have a coaching staff to tell you what you need to improve and help you achieve that end, not to mention state of the art train/practice facility, professional trainers, tutors etc....why not a hookup to the psych dept?

I was not citing the cause of the problem nor am I obtuse to the many reasons why. I was merely stating that pattern equals problem and suggesting a solution is possible.

Evolution in this case starts from within the player. See KW, SN, RB.
I am not down on Rodney or any of the other players. I want them to succeed and think they are capable of success. It's a process.

Reaction Score
But he's just not as bad as he's shown. . . . I think he'll play much better.
You're quite often right. I particularly note the call on SC2 very early in the year. Dead on.
I very much hope you're right on this one, because if the kid becomes a consistent threat at 2 guard, that will do a huge amount to mitigate any under performance of the 1 next year.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Thoughtful and well presented as usual and I do understand and agree with more than you might think. My qualifier though is that I choose to believe free will has and can overcome many circumstances.

Although many years removed from college with a double major biology and psychology I do still have a basic understanding of developmental and behavioral psychology, as well as biochemical aspects of behavioral neuroscience.

BTW I chose to take a different more artistic career path which requires both observation, analysis and compassion as well as an endless need/desire to improve which I guess is my world view.

If you are suggesting a need for a sports psychologist beyond KO,that might not be a bad idea.

I just don't think one simply "tolerates" everything in life with a broad brush stroke. There is much we should tolerate as a society and don't. I'm sure we would agree on almost all of them and at the same time, to clarify, my view, on tolerance is contextual and not something I subscribe to as a person, artist,an athlete or Toltec "warrior" without trying to evolve and make improvements .

If you are suggesting a coach, fan or player should tolerate 40% FT shooting because someone was traumatized as a child or X,Y,Z reason. My response is that player sits in favor of someone that can do the job. The reality is that's life. In this context toleration equals complacency and will just beget more of the same.

It's such a blessing to have a coaching staff to tell you what you need to improve and help you achieve that end, not to mention state of the art train/practice facility, professional trainers, tutors etc....why not a hookup to the psych dept?

I was not citing the cause of the problem nor am I obtuse to the many reasons why. I was merely stating that pattern equals problem and suggesting a solution is possible.

Evolution in this case starts from within the player. See KW, SN, RB.
I am not down on Rodney or any of the other players. I want them to succeed and think they are capable of success. It's a process.
Nicely stated. I'm already on the watch list for getting a throat punch. So if you don't hear from me for a while you'll know why.
Understanding things doesn't mean making excuses for things. Nor am I suggesting people accept mediocrity or worse. Not by any stretch. But there is a line some people cross with their anger and frustration and I think that is more important in the scope of things than a player's inability to reach his potential or satisfy a fan.

I'm addressing that line crossing (arbitrary for each and every one of us) as opposed to critiquing Rodney. There is more than enough people to do that but far too few people trying to elevate the game of how humans approach one another.

And @Fishy is correct. This is a forum about bb and not a human behavior forum. So I'll take a pause from trying to elevate the human game and just discuss the bb game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom