Purvis = Calhoun | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Purvis = Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My point is that it appeared you were correcting the other poster who said Purvis sat out by saying he was suspended. I read it as you thought the poster wasn't paying attention and believed Purvis sat out with an injury or something. I guess I missed your point. What was it exactly?
No, you missed all the points on that one......

Reaction Score
Eyes don't lie
Eyes might not lie, but that doesn't mean they don't see like sh#%$#t w/out glasses.

I used to describe the boneyard as a fan site, but it's now becoming a let's kick the crap out of our own players cesspool.

With that said, I'm a little concerned about Purvis as far as him being as good as his Burger-AA billing would dictate, but we have to keep in mind a few things. One is he hasn't played meaningful games for over a year now. It's going to take time for him to sand off the rust. With that said, I'm a little concerned about his ability to process what's taking place in front of him. He seems to catch the ball, survey the landscape and then pass it back. That's a sign that the game is happening too fast for him at this moment. Now again, as he gets more minutes, more comfortable with the offense, more confidence in his game, etc., things might slow down for him, meaning he'll be more decisive with his decisions. On the other hand, this might be a problem with him. Some kids as physically talented as they might be, just never figure it out. But since KO wanted him and has spoken so highly of him, I trust that he knows how to coach him up to where he can be a special player.

Right now, he seems to struggle to make plays and quick decisions, but we're only 2 games into the season and he again had to sit out the first game, so this was his first real action in what, over 19 or 20 months. Let's stop the destructive criticisms. It just seems subject after subject criticizes our our players and team. Last year, I had to endure this type of crap day-in, day-out, and in the end we won *ing National Championship, ending up being the last team standing tall. Of course all those player-bashers were no where to be found when that happened and it seems a hurd of those types of fans are charging through the boneyard these days like we're a fricken canyon that's wall to wall with charging Buffalo. The yard close to sucks lately. I hope it gets better. I miss the old days. Yeah, UConn player ball busters have always existed, but it's a f*ing epidemic the past few seasons. I can't imagine what it would be like if we didn't win 2 NCs in the last 4 years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
reality summation: purvis is a fine young man with limited game

wimpee burger ratings are just that unless yo luv popeye cartoons

ncstate would never let a real deal go that easily

money for purv is on gridiron if he is so inclined, but dee concussion contest is just that; a headbanger of a decision

Reaction Score
Before you get on me about another thread knocking Purvis or Calhoun, I just thought these two were going to be different players. Yes, its early, but....

They both jack up a lot of threes
They both don't have a handle
They both turn the ball over
They both play below the rim
They both get stuffed going up for layups

Purvis may turn into a good player, but he's not going to be the star that we hoped he was going to be. And can we stop with the he missed all of last season. He's been practicing with the team and going against these guys for two years. (and obviously too many summer league games)

I hope I'm wrong and can eat my words, but besides the two 3 pointers he made today, the rest of his day was on the negative side of the ledger.

Give the kid some time. He will be fine. I trust KO's "ferrari in the garage that I cannot drive" assessment more than any assessment from a Boneyard'er.

This kid dies not play below the rim.........

Reaction Score
lol is this thread a joke? After one game purvis played? Purvis plays below the rim? Nothing that you said makes any sense. Please type "Rodney Purvis" into youtube and tell me again that he plays below the rim, because than I'll know for sure you know nothing about basketball.

Reaction Score
This post is a little absurd. That said, I prefer to watch Sam Jr on the floor than Purvis

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
They might not lie, but that doesn't mean they see don't see like .

I used to describe the boneyard as a fan site. It's become a let's kick the crap out of our own players sess

Eyes might not lie, but that doesn't mean they don't see like sh#%$#t w/out glasses.

I used to describe the boneyard as a fan site, but it's now becoming a let's kick the crap out of our own players cesspool.

With that said, I'm a little concerned about Purvis as far as him being as good as his Burger-AA billing would dictate, but we have to keep in mind a few things. One is he hasn't played meaningful games for over a year now. It's going to take time for him to sand off the rust. With that said, I'm a little concerned about his ability to process what's taking place in front of him. He seems to catch the ball, survey the landscape and then pass it back. That's a sign that the game is happening too fast for him at this moment. Now again, as he gets more minutes, more comfortable with the offense, more confidence in his game, etc., things might slow down for him, meaning he'll be more decisive with his decisions. On the other hand, this might be a problem with him. Some kids as physically talented as they might be, just never figure it out. But since KO wanted him and has spoken so highly of him, I trust that he knows how to coach him up to where he can be a special player.

Right now, he seems to struggle to make plays and quick decisions, but we're only 2 games into the season and he again had to sit out the first game, so this was his first real action in what, over 19 or 20 months. Let's stop the destructive criticisms. It just seems subject after subject criticizes our our players and team. Last year, I had to endure this type of crap day-in, day-out, and in the end we won *ing National Championship, ending up being the last team standing tall. Of course all those player-bashers were no where to be found when that happened and it seems a hurd of those types of fans are charging through the boneyard these days like we're a fricken canyon that's wall to wall with charging Buffalo. The yard close to sucks lately. I hope it gets better. I miss the old days. Yeah, UConn player ball busters have always existed, but it's a f*ing epidemic the past few seasons. I can't imagine what it would be like if we didn't win 2 NCs in the last 4 years.

In this thread I agree with you!
Feast or famine with some posters. From DHam, AB and Rodney all being lottery pics to...DOOMED

Reaction Score
Half of our coaching staff are former guards when Ollie first joined the staff Kemba went on fire. Then it was Shabbaz turn he kept getting better and his last year the guy was pretty much unstoppable and now is Ryans turn and he is looking a lot like the other 2 before him. Purvis may not be the AA you was expecting but he may very well end up one day with Ollie's tutelage.
Before you get on me about another thread knocking Purvis or Calhoun, I just thought these two were going to be different players. Yes, its early, but....

They both jack up a lot of threes
They both don't have a handle
They both turn the ball over
They both play below the rim
They both get stuffed going up for layups

Purvis may turn into a good player, but he's not going to be the star that we hoped he was going to be. And can we stop with the he missed all of last season. He's been practicing with the team and going against these guys for two years. (and obviously too many summer league games)

I hope I'm wrong and can eat my words, but besides the two 3 pointers he made today, the rest of his day was on the negative side of the ledger.

Half of our coaching staff are former guards when Ollie first joined the staff Kemba went on fire. Then it was Shabbaz turn he kept getting better and his last year the guy was pretty much unstoppable and now is Ryans turn and he is looking a lot like the other 2 before him. Purvis may not be the AA you was expecting but he may very well end up one day with Ollie's tutelage.

Reaction Score
Yeah, UConn player ball busters have always existed, but it's a f*ing epidemic the past few seasons. I can't imagine what it would be like if we didn't win 2 NCs in the last 4 years.

These are the same @ssholes who declared what we were last season as of 12/31/13. We know who they are.

I think their eyes lied to them . . .

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You misspelled "best." The best thing about message boards is that they enable you to observe dumb people in their natural environment.

In the alternative, if recruiting season and exhibition games weren't enough of a clue, you've got early OOC and a tournament played with double rims on a slippery floor in Puerto Rico: now is the time to be scouting out sportsbars, figuring out streaming options, Chromecasting from UconnHuskyGames.com, and, especially, fine tuning your Ignore settings.

Reaction Score
I legit LOL'd when I saw that "Purvis plays below the rim" line. Give the kid some time. He'll be fine in a few weeks.

Also, anyone who actually watched him at NC State knows what type of player is. He was never going to be our best, or even our second best, player this seasons. He's a great athlete and a great complimentary piece.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think we have the shortest leash on this forum of damn near any other program. Crazy. Especially given the countless examples of our own guys developing over the season in years past.

Reaction Score
Your welcome everyone. My reverse jinx worked and it was sight for sore eyes. RP was 110% better than what he has show previously. No bad turnovers today and he ball handling was fine and he made some really strong drives to the hoop. Mea Culpa. Words taste good

Reaction Score
Your welcome everyone. My reverse jinx worked and it was sight for sore eyes. RP was 110% better than what he has show previously. No bad turnovers today and he ball handling was fine and he made some really strong drives to the hoop. Mea Culpa. Words taste good
Told you it was "hips don't lie"!!!!

Reaction Score

We're all wrong from time to time - it's nice to be wrong about the right things.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We're all wrong from time to time - it's nice to be wrong about the right things.

A good rule of thumb is to have an inkling when you might be wrong and keep your yap shut. That way, people don't think you are a certified idiot.

Reaction Score
A good rule of thumb is to have an inkling when you might be wrong and keep your yap shut. That way, people don't think you are a certified idiot.

I've told this story on the 'yard a few times, but after the Jackson State loss in the 1993 NIT, I was calling for Calhoun's head. Would rant about it to all my UConn friends (he had one great miracle run, and now we're fading back to oblivion, we need someone else to get us to the next level...). Hindsight says perhaps I was just a little off in that assessment. Of course, I was 22 and stupid - as opposed to older than 22 and stupid now.

But fortunately, there was no Boneyard yet, so my idiocy wasn't there in print to be quoted later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom