Purvis' 6 Point Play | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Purvis' 6 Point Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Explain how Cincy got the ball after all the FT's were shot?

Common foul on Purvis (1 shot for Cincy)
Taunting tech on Caupain (2 shots for Uconn)
Contact tech on Purvis (2 shots + ball for Cincy)

It's really that simple. Not sure where the confusion is coming from.

The key is that all techs are not equal.

Reaction Score
Not sure where the confusion is coming from.

That's where the confusion is coming from. That's not common knowledge, even among basketball fans.

Reaction Score
Now that I think about it, I've seen people get confused when non-contact techs don't result in 2 shots + the ball, as if the refs were making a mistake.

Reaction Score
Common foul on Purvis (1 shot for Cincy)
Taunting tech on Caupain (2 shots for Uconn)
Contact tech on Purvis (2 shots + ball for Cincy)

It's really that simple. Not sure where the confusion is coming from.

I wasn't confused as much as asking because after the initial foul, it was our ball. So you educated me on the different technicals, still is ridiculous to me. A technical is a technical and after all was cleared we should have the ball, not according to the rules, I just think they're nonsense. The instigator gets credit so that makes the ruling stupid!

Reaction Score
I don't care if he goes lights out from here on out... I can not stand Pruvis. He is not a Uconn player to me and should have stayed at NC State. Don't like his attitude or style.

Reaction Score
I definitely am not a fan of Purvis.
The guy's BBall IQ is among the lowest we've seen at UConn.

In the 1st half he received a pass on the left wing, behind the 3 point line, wide open. Dude takes one dribble and shoots from 2' inside the 3 point line. What?

Guy is reliably going to give you 1-3 bonehead plays every single game.

Effort seems inconsistent. Seems to have too much going on in his head that isn't just the Xs and Os of playing.

Purvis Giveth, and Purvis Taketh Away.

Mark it down. 2 years from now he'll be doing the same boneheaded things, driving us all crazy with the poor decision making.

Reaction Score
Mark it down. 2 years from now he'll be doing the same boneheaded things, driving us all crazy with the poor decision making.

Going to have to disagree with you here. All we can do is wait and see but I'll try my best to remember this. No doubt the kid lets his emotions get the best of him and he makes some bad decisions. However, he has a ton of pride. Players don't come to UConn as boys to leave as boys. They develop and become men. We shall see.

Reaction Score
How can anyone here blame Purvis for pushing that kid out of his face?

It ain't easy to walk away when you are losing, playing bad and just made a bad play. Sorry, to me that tech could not be avoided unless Purvis is a spineless punk.

Reaction Score
Going to have to disagree with you here. All we can do is wait and see but I'll try my best to remember this. No doubt the kid lets his emotions get the best of him and he makes some bad decisions. However, he has a ton of pride. Players don't come to UConn as boys to leave as boys. They develop and become men. We shall see.
I hope you're right - no worries - If I'm wrong in 2 years, I'll post I was wrong.

I was wrong about Calhoun coming back and hitting his shot - for example.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
The ferrari was missing some 'spark' plugs on the play mentioned for sure - that was lack of effort or low BB IQ once that shot was blocked -

Reaction Score
It amazes me how everyone needs to throw Purvis under the bus? He hasn't even been close to the major problem. And especially the day after Omar was just plain worthless out there and it's on Rodney? He got his shot blocked because Boat dribbles between his legs 45 times and gave it back to him with 3 seconds left at 30 feet from the basket. - what's he supposed to do. You get your shot blocked what's your first reaction - to go get it. Not to run down the guy who already has it.

I see some good things from Rodney, his defense has been pretty good too. If you were awaiting the Ferrari then that's on you and your expectations. I just want to see him get better as well as everyone else. Good news for us is no one is going anywhere expcept Boat.

Reaction Score
Caupain deserved to drink his own teeth on that play. Purvis let him off easy.

He is a coward too, implying he was talking to a teammate on the one that got him thrown out. He was obviously looking ONLY at Boat when he said it and he had words with Boat well beef even that one. He was a total punk from the tip and to be honest the refs ignored too much of it early.

Reaction Score
I definitely am not a fan of Purvis.
The guy's BBall IQ is among the lowest we've seen at UConn.

In the 1st half he received a pass on the left wing, behind the 3 point line, wide open. Dude takes one dribble and shoots from 2' inside the 3 point line. What?

Guy is reliably going to give you 1-3 bonehead plays every single game.

Effort seems inconsistent. Seems to have too much going on in his head that isn't just the Xs and Os of playing.

Wow are you sure you're not describing Daniel Hamilton?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We can't score. Bottom line. That's where our problems start and end.

We've scored over 70 pts four times this season. You're going to have a hard time beating anyone if you can't score.

Reaction Score
We can't score. Bottom line. That's where our problems start and end.

We've scored over 70 pts four times this season. You're going to have a hard time beating anyone if you can't score.

And we can't score, specifically, because we can't shoot. Boatright can't penetrate because the defense is able to sag to him constantly, comfortable with the knowledge that the guys they leave open will either pass up jump shots or brick them. Shabazz had a lot more room to work last year because he had a number of dangerous shooters surrounding him, and he also had another ballhandler who could create for himself, allowing him to play off the ball at times.

Reaction Score
CallMeBruce said:
And we can't score, specifically, because we can't shoot. Boatright can't penetrate because the defense is able to sag to him constantly, comfortable with the knowledge that the guys they leave open will either pass up jump shots or brick them. Shabazz had a lot more room to work last year because he had a number of dangerous shooters surrounding him, and he also had another ballhandler who could create for himself, allowing him to play off the ball at times.

Hamilton would be a lot more effective with more space as well. Often it's the help defense that gets him in trouble - he just doesn't have room to get in a seam. He's so tentative now - he's only scratching the surface of what he could provide.

Reaction Score
Remember when people on this board said we needed to recruit a 2-guard because Purvis would be gone to the NBA after 1 year. Now we need to recruit a 2-guard because Purvis isn't good enough.

Reaction Score
Lucky most of us have ten fingers because you can't point to just one player for this mess. Yes Rodney has not been as advertised but I think he will be a good not great player for us down the road if he stays.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who thinks that you walk away instead of getting the technical? It's not about being tough it's about being smart. And shoving the guy is not smart, it hurts the team.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who thinks that you walk away instead of getting the technical? It's not about being tough it's about being smart. And shoving the guy is not smart, it hurts the team.

No, you're not alone. I understand the frustration he felt as the Cincy guy was being a real @ss. However, there are times when being strong means doing what is best for the team even if you might look bad.

Reaction Score
Wow are you sure you're not describing Daniel Hamilton?
DH is a potential NBA player who is currently in his 3rd month of college ball. RP is in his 3rd year and he'll be lucky to finish his career at UConn as a starter. They are not in the same caliber of player, and anybody who can't see that is blinded by RP's athleticism.

Reaction Score
Caupain acted like pure scum, I was so happy they tossed him on that minor taunt. Also, when Purvis pushed him it was exactly what he wanted, actually he wanted a punch. You can't get face to face with a guy and not let him move... yet the second Rodney put his hand on him he had this "OH MY GOD REF HE TOUCHED ME!!!! THROW HIM OUT!!!!!" face on, I wish he tore both ACLs

It was getting super chippy leading up to the Purvis/Caupain conflict, and after that everyone other than Caupain was calm and just playing ball, then the tool had to do some more taunting... so happy he's not in a UConn jersey, we've had guys who have lightly taunted, but they do it in a way that you cant get called for, smile/jump around/pound your chest and be happy you're playing awesome or made an amazing play, that will make the other player angry enough without doing any harm with the officials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom