Purdue Scouting Report | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Purdue Scouting Report

Reaction Score
I see a lot of matchup problems for Purdue because we're going to play Edey straight up when the big man is in there. Clingan has been great about not fouling for a while now, if the refs don't take him out of the game Purdue is going to have trouble keeping up with us.

Reaction Score
I see a lot of matchup problems for Purdue because we're going to play Edey straight up when the big man is in there. Clingan has been great about not fouling for a while now, if the refs don't take him out of the game Purdue is going to have trouble keeping up with us.
Just needs to keep his arms straight up the entire time. No reason to get overly aggressive because Edey will get his 20 points no matter what, just make it a little more difficult for him

Reaction Score
Newton has to be smart with the ball. If he drives to the rack, Loyer is going to try to jump in front and flop for a charge. Newton is gonna have to watch that shoulder move of his. Need to limit those types of turnovers.

caw

Reaction Score
Loyer is the most egregious flopper in college basketball and for some reason that is obscure to me the refs love to reward him for his flopping. So we are doomed!

That is true, but he is still a horrible defender.

Overall, I imagine they try and replicate Creighton's game plan. Creighton and Purdue have a lot of similarities though Smith is better than Ashworth and Baylor better than Loyer.

Reaction Score
If the team can hold them in the 60's like NC State, we win. Purdue can't hold UConn to 75.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Watching the Utah State Vs Purdue round of 32 game. Two phantom fouls called on Utah State’s Osobor when Edey stumbled on the inside and then a third when Edey bumped into his chest. Those three fouls really titled the game in Purdue’s favor.Two earlier fouls were called against Utah State’s other good big, Johnson, when Kylo Renn bumped into him. Doomed!

Reaction Score
Purdue is maybe the only team in the country that can watch the game film of our Creighton loss and use the blueprint, so I expect to see a similar scheme (basically Ashworth just trailed Spencer off every screen to take away the three point line and allowed him to get into the paint whenever he wanted, with Kalbrenner waiting … then fronting Karaban and forcing Newton to be a scorer). I’m sure our staff has broken that down and will at least have a counter plan.

Creighton also had the big game from 3 to build a lead and we never found our footing to come back. Illinois was effective defensively against us but we never let them get separation, and Alabama was crazy hot from 3, but we scored enough to still be up 6 at the half. So basically the two things happening in tandem - an effective defensive scheme and crazy hot shooting - was the one time we faced our kryptonite.

Reaction Score
Edey has some of the best conditioning I've seen for a guy his size. He could play 40 minutes every game and not show any fatigue

But Clingan and Samson are some of the most agile guys I've seen at 6'10 and 7'2. Wonder if the gameplan will be to slow it down and run our stuff since it's gotten us this far, or to tell Clingan and Samson to RUN every time we get a board to force Edey to either chase them or give up dunks

NC St was bothering Braden Smith with their defense. I don't think he's ever seen a defender like Steph Castle. The best way to stop Edey from dominating is to make sure he can't get the ball. UConn needs to make sure they are making life hell for Purdue's ballhandlers
He usually has the luxury of walking up and down the court most of the time. If DC and SJ can make him move hes cooked. Give Smith a steady diet of Castle, Newton and Diarra and its a wrap. What im saying is and what ive said even last year is Uconn is an absolutely horrible matchup for Purdue.

Reaction Score
Purdue is maybe the only team in the country that can watch the game film of our Creighton loss and use the blueprint, so I expect to see a similar scheme (basically Ashworth just trailed Spencer off every screen to take away the three point line and allowed him to get into the paint whenever he wanted, with Kalbrenner waiting … then fronting Karaban and forcing Newton to be a scorer). I’m sure our staff has broken that down and will at least have a counter plan.

Creighton also had the big game from 3 to build a lead and we never found our footing to come back. Illinois was effective defensively against us but we never let them get separation, and Alabama was crazy hot from 3, but we scored enough to still be up 6 at the half. So basically the two things happening in tandem - an effective defensive scheme and crazy hot shooting - was the one time we faced our kryptonite.
The Creighton plan is fools gold. The only reason they won that game was Ashford was out of his mind and they hit 14 3s on 50%. Thats at the very least what PUrdue is going to have to do.

Reaction Score
The Creighton plan is fools gold. The only reason they won that game was Ashford was out of his mind and they hit 14 3s on 50%. Thats at the very least what PUrdue is going to have to do.
Well, they did win that game by 19 points - so 10 or 11 might do.

But Creighton is very unique in the way they run their offense, and although Purdue implements some of the same concepts, I don't think it requires nearly the same fluency guarding off the ball. What they run is probably more similar to what the Warriors run for Klay and Steph than it is Purdue.

caw

Reaction Score

I don't completely agree (though I am 75% there with you).

Defensively Creighton made it tough on UConn to run a lot of the action we usually see with their one man zone Kalkbrenner played. That is something Purdue will likely do. UConn's single game offensive efficiency was still great but it was like against Kansas and because Newton did Newton things against the drop coverage. That said, Purdue is a good deal smaller 1-3 compared to Creighton and they have no one like Alexander defensively (Jones is good but smaller). Also, Newton, Castle and Cam have been better at keeping their defender on their back and probing the paint for a floater or dish to Clingan recently when other teams have tried that against UConn. I prefer they hard attack Edey and don't settle though.

Offensively, I agree. Smith is better overall compared to Ashworth but he also doesn't usually bomb multiple shots from 30 feet and sink them and I doubt he will be better than Ashworth was that game. Also, Purdue has nobody as consistently good as Scheierman at the three. He is so good it forced UConn to put Castle on him which put Cam on Ashworth. UConn will have the luxury of having Castle/Diarra on Smith. Unless Loyer has an unusually great game, he just isnt the same threat Scheierman is normally. Jones is good and arguably as, or more, dynamic on the break compared to Alexander but he doesn't have the same versatility to his half-court game. Alexander killed UConn on the mid-range and forced UConn to use Newton on him. I really love the way Smith plays as a smaller Kolek. That said I like Renn/Gillis over Miller.

It also helps Creighton that they are pretty used to playing UConn and were at home.

Of course Purdue has Edey who is a beast and much better offensively compared to Kalkbrenner.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Creighton being unconscious from three for the last 15 minutes of the first half played a massive role in the outcome. Hunting early fouls (and succeeding) on Clingan was the other factor, and I'm not sure the former happens without the latter.

Donovan remaining on the floor for 12-13 minutes in the first half will be vital. His ability to play ~8 of the first 12 minutes of the second half will also be exceptionally important.

Reaction Score
Edey has some of the best conditioning I've seen for a guy his size. He could play 40 minutes every game and not show any fatigue

But Clingan and Samson are some of the most agile guys I've seen at 6'10 and 7'2. Wonder if the gameplan will be to slow it down and run our stuff since it's gotten us this far, or to tell Clingan and Samson to RUN every time we get a board to force Edey to either chase them or give up dunks

NC St was bothering Braden Smith with their defense. I don't think he's ever seen a defender like Steph Castle. The best way to stop Edey from dominating is to make sure he can't get the ball. UConn needs to make sure they are making life hell for Purdue's ballhandlers

You’re the best, thanks again great year!!!!

Reaction Score
Again simple key, DC out of foul trouble. Needs to be more in the stand steady, take the hits as Edey backs down and don’t reach. Hand up because his size alone can make it it uncomfortable anyway then turn, box out and rebound his misses. He needs to do that and not worry about blocking his shots. The 2 guards didn’t shoot it well last game and like us are due. Too much doubling could get then catch and shoot looks, although some doubling is a must.

Interesting match up for sure, can’t wait!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
That's weird that most of the field goals they give up are assisted despite allowing a low percentage of both 3s and 2s.

I guess it makes sense that they don't give up a lot of 1-on-1 stuff but that, when you do score, it's going to be off of passing.

I also didn't realize Braden Smith was that small. In fact, all of our guards should have decent size advantage and, if we're not doubling on Edey, those guys should have trouble getting clean looks from 3.

It's insane that they have 6 guys who average over 1 3-point attempt per game and 5 of them are over 40%. I wonder how much of that is their innate ability vs. the fact that they're getting wide open looks moving towards the basket off of kickouts from Edey.

You gotta think the doubling of Edey has led to many open 3s

Reaction Score
That is true, but he is still a horrible defender.

Overall, I imagine they try and replicate Creighton's game plan. Creighton and Purdue have a lot of similarities though Smith is better than Ashworth and Baylor better than Loyer.
Smith is not better than the Ashworth that played against us at Creighton

Reaction Score

There's some truth to this, but a difference is that Creighton had far more perimeter size and Purdue has no one on the perimeter as good at scoring as Scheierman. Basically whatever Kalk brought offensively was a luxury, because their two highest scorers were guards with size.

Creighton played the way Creighton plays to execute that plan on offense. That would be a rejiggering of Purdue's offense to do that. That said, Purdue is quite good, and their defense is certainly going to cause us problems.

Reaction Score
I noticed that in Purdues game against State that Edey kicked out to their guards for wide open 3’s because States guards were cheating to strip Edey when the ball came in. Question, do we try to double him, opening their guards for 3’s? Otherwise Edey is making layups at least 50%?
If Clingan goes straight up to block he may get in foul trouble early dooming us, Edey never gets called. This is the dilemma and I wonder what the plan will be.

Reaction Score
I noticed NC State got a ton of open looks from outside. Couldn't hit them. I wonder if UConn will get as many. If so, we might see UConn's shooting from outside as a big factor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom