Purdue Scouting Report | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Purdue Scouting Report

Reaction Score
Wonder if the gameplan will be to slow it down and run our stuff since it's gotten us this far, or to tell Clingan and Samson to RUN every time we get a board to force Edey to either chase them or give up dunks

I think we run similarly to how we did vs NWestern. That was clearly a point of emphasis going into that game and I think will be in this one. We have an advantage in the open court and I think you even saw NC State go through spurts where they ran very affectively on Purdue.

Reaction Score
Newton, Spencer, and Castle need to drive a lot and dump it off to Clingan and Samson even Karaban if Edey bites on the drive.

Edet got 4 fouls in their first Illinois game when Shannon didn't play.

3 fouls in the second game.

I imagine the Illini drove a lot.

Reaction Score
I see Spencer and Diarra combining for 10 strip steals when Edey catches in the post hesitates and brings the ball down low.

Reaction Score
I see Spencer and Diarra combining for 10 strip steals when Edey catches in the post hesitates and brings the ball down low.
NC State guards were pretty effective there. Edey has a high dribble. The downside to that, which also burned them down the stretch was Edey can hit the open guy for an open three when you gamble.

Reaction Score
I feel like the key to neutralizing edey is all in how much pressure you put on the guards/the entry pass. Their guards are better at dealing with pressure this year but they’re still not great and you can see they expect to be able to just throw it in edey’s general area and expect that he’ll have enough of an advantage to grab whatever they send to him. Our guards should be perfectly up to this task - especially Castle on Smith. When they do get the ball in to edey- make the shot tough as you can without fouling and stay home on shooters. Just make him expend as much energy as you can to get the ball and then finish. As many have said, he will get his 20, but make it uncomfortable. Better to concede 2 points then let them start hitting from 3.

Key to the game for both teams is discipline. Can clingan play his most disciplined defense yet, avoiding fouls while still challenging? Can their guards be disciplined enough to withstand our pressure and then execute by getting the ball into edey through tight passing lanes?

Edey can’t beat us by himself, even if he goes for 40 - and I like the way we match up with everyone else.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wonder if the gameplan will be to slow it down and run our stuff since it's gotten us this far, or to tell Clingan and Samson to RUN every time we get a board to force Edey to either chase them or give up dunks
Our game plan isn't to slow it down really, it's to attack then run stuff if a good look isn't there. Having our big guys run is SOP for UConn. I honestly think we got this. I don't trust their guards and I don't think Edey is enough.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Edey has some of the best conditioning I've seen for a guy his size. He could play 40 minutes every game and not show any fatigue

But Clingan and Samson are some of the most agile guys I've seen at 6'10 and 7'2. Wonder if the gameplan will be to slow it down and run our stuff since it's gotten us this far, or to tell Clingan and Samson to RUN every time we get a board to force Edey to either chase them or give up dunks

NC St was bothering Braden Smith with their defense. I don't think he's ever seen a defender like Steph Castle. The best way to stop Edey from dominating is to make sure he can't get the ball. UConn needs to make sure they are making life hell for Purdue's ballhandlers
On Edey's conditioning- I agree to an extent. In a YouTube chat someone made what I think is a great point. While Edey plays nearly 40 minutes per game, he gets a LOT of breaks. Think of all the stoppages in play when he is fouled nearly 10 times per game,and consider how many times he gets to the free throw line. Combine those with all the other timeouts, fouls, and stoppages, and he's not exactly running the Boston Marathon. Not to say he's not in good shape, but at 7'-4" and 300lbs, foul him less, and put him on the line less, and he will tend to get gassed in the later stages of the game.

Reaction Score
They're basically a better version of Creighton defensively in that they rarely foul and invite mid-range shots. Pretty much your standard analytics approach but to an extreme. Edey typically accomplishes more on that end by doing less - he errs much more on the side of underhelping than overhelping, which leads to better shot quality for opponents but limits second chances. One of things this approach does is fool the opponent into thinking it is getting consistently great looks when in reality it's a mirage.

Offensively is where I think they often get mischaracterized. Stopping them isn't as simple as "letting Edey get his" because much like UConn, they run great stuff and leverage his screening & rolling ability into generating great looks even when he doesn't touch the ball. Think Kalkbrenner in terms of the subtle real estate he opens for their shooters and drivers with his constant flipping and sealing, except four inches taller and 50 pounds heavier. Purdue and UConn have two of the best offenses in CBB in large part because screening is really important and giant people make great screeners.

My gut says UConn has a slight edge in this one, but I could easily change my mind by game time because I think both teams are that good. The 6.5 UConn is giving strikes me as an overcorrection in the market, but you could also easily argue based on other trends - like Clingan playing more minutes - that the spread should be closer to 8 or 9. It's one of those match-ups where nothing would really surprise me.

Reaction Score
Let's take a look at Purdue's losses and what stands out:

1) at Northwestern, 98-92 (OT)
  • Edey goes for 35/14, including 15-20 at the line
  • Purdue goes 5-19 from 3, a decent number of looks, just shot poorly; Lance Jones had a particularly rough game
  • Purdue outrebounded them 52-27, but actually had fewer field goal attempts on account of a 17-3 turnover differential, also not super sustainable
  • Northwestern shot 10-20 from 3, so a +15 from the 3-point line, not necessarily repeatable

2) at Nebraska, 88-72
  • by far their worst loss, wasn't close for most of the second half, comparable to our game against SH
  • Edey only 15/7 in 30 minutes on 10 shots and 3-5 at the line -- what did Nebraska do?
  • Purdue actually attempted 33 3's and hit 13 of them; obviously Nebraska was able to limit Edey and dare their shooters, who actually made a bunch but still lost
  • the other side of the court tells the story - Nebraska shot 14-23 (61%) on 3s, also not something we can count on

3) at Ohio State, 73-69
  • Edey gets 22/13, but also 6 turnovers in 33 minutes
  • Purdue only attempts 9 3s
  • maybe they let Edey get his and clamped down on shooters? Seems like something we could emulate
  • not super relevant scouting-wise, but notable that Purdue went 20-20 at the line and still lost lol

4) vs. Wisconsin (N) in B1G Tourney, 76-75 (OT)
  • Edey went for 28, mostly at the line
  • otherwise, shot 5-16 from 3; not a lot of attempts and below-average percentage-wise
  • Turnover margin was again a big factor, 16-5, as Wisconsin had over 20 more field goal attempts (though many of Purdue's non-FGA were free throws)

So they've only been bested in regulation twice, and one of those entailed the opponent shooting 60% from 3. The Ohio State game seems like the best sustainable approach. We could let Edey get his while clamping down on everyone else. I think it has to be from straight-up D though, since we don't have the depth to withstand a game where Purdue is shooting 30 FTs.

Purdue also has a pretty impressive slate of wins -- Gonzaga, Tennessee, Marquette, Arizona, Illinois twice. We are unique, but despite the weakness of the Big Ten, they've beaten good teams.

Reaction Score
Has Edey had any foul trouble this year? If so, how did it happen?
In the first half of their Ohio State loss and I believe in their first loss to Northwestern as well (but he still played 38/45 minutes in that one).

Just random contact. He's great at avoiding it in general.

It's not something you can bank on. But you can attack him a bit knowing he won't foul, especially since Clingan is harder to swat cleanly than 6'8" guys. The key is he plays like he's already in foul trouble. So use it.

Reaction Score
3) at Ohio State, 73-69
  • maybe they let Edey get his and clamped down on shooters? Seems like something we could emulate
  • not super relevant scouting-wise, but notable that Purdue went 20-20 at the line and still lost lo
I believe Ohio State did a really good job of pressuring Edey's dribble and catch, similar to what NC State did yesterday. Anytime he was catching or dribbling, they had hands nearby. It put Ohio State into a lot of foul trouble from reaching in, but it just made things difficult on them. The key is how to do that and also clamp everyone else down.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Let's take a look at Purdue's losses and what stands out:

1) at Northwestern, 98-92 (OT)
  • Edey goes for 35/14, including 15-20 at the line
  • Purdue goes 5-19 from 3, a decent number of looks, just shot poorly; Lance Jones had a particularly rough game
  • Purdue outrebounded them 52-27, but actually had fewer field goal attempts on account of a 17-3 turnover differential, also not super sustainable
  • Northwestern shot 10-20 from 3, so a +15 from the 3-point line, not necessarily repeatable

2) at Nebraska, 88-72
  • by far their worst loss, wasn't close for most of the second half, comparable to our game against SH
  • Edey only 15/7 in 30 minutes on 10 shots and 3-5 at the line -- what did Nebraska do?
  • Purdue actually attempted 33 3's and hit 13 of them; obviously Nebraska was able to limit Edey and dare their shooters, who actually made a bunch but still lost
  • the other side of the court tells the story - Nebraska shot 14-23 (61%) on 3s, also not something we can count on

3) at Ohio State, 73-69
  • not super relevant scouting-wise, but notable that Purdue went 20-20 at the line and still lost lol

4) vs. Wisconsin (N) in B1G Tourney, 76-75 (OT)
  • Edey went for 28, mostly at the line
  • otherwise, shot 5-16 from 3; not a lot of attempts and below-average percentage-wise
  • Turnover margin was again a big factor, 16-5, as Wisconsin had over 20 more field goal attempts (though many of Purdue's non-FGA were free throws)

So they've only been bested in regulation twice, and one of those entailed the opponent shooting 60% from 3. The Ohio State game seems like the best sustainable approach. We could let Edey get his while clamping down on everyone else. I think it has to be from straight-up D though, since we don't have the depth to withstand a game where Purdue is shooting 30 FTs.

Purdue also has a pretty impressive slate of wins -- Gonzaga, Tennessee, Marquette, Arizona, Illinois twice. We are unique, but despite the weakness of the Big Ten, they've beaten good teams.

They also were about to lose the NW at home before the refs saved them

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We’re thinking too much about this.

Put Castle on Smith and have Clingan make Edey receive the ball away from the rim.

Don’t leave the shooters and pressure the guards. Edey is going to get his 20+ & 10+. So be it. Don’t let the guards get going.

It comes down to the refs and will they call it even.

Reaction Score
and have Clingan make Edey receive the ball away from the rim.
The "How" on this one is important.

He doesn't just run down the court and turn around, Purdue runs good actions to get him into post position. And he's got probably 25-30 lbs + on Clingan.

Reaction Score
I think this game is going to be won or lost on the glass. Edey's a stud and he's gonna get his, hopefully not from the line, but giving him and Purdue 2nd and 3rd chances could be a disaster. Box out, rebound, rinse, repeat, and we will have an excellent shot.

Reaction Score
Purdue has shortened its tourney rotation to 7 players with Gillis (PF) and Heide (SF) the only guys getting minutes off the bench and I don’t think Heide will play at all tomorrow unless they get into foul trouble.

Purdue plays 3 guards (Braden, Jones, and Loyer). They are all great shooters and passers but they are short and slight (Smith and Jones are only 6 foot). Our 3 guards are all bigger and stronger so switch everything on the perimeter. No open 3s.

Kaufman-Ren (6’9 230) is bigger and stronger than Karaban but isn’t much of a scoring threat and only averages 15mpg. Gillis is a stretch PF that plays starters minutes off the bench (20mpg) but at 6’6 he’s a more favorable matchup for Karaban.

We can’t double Edey. Clingan needs to play him straight up without fouling. I don’t care if Edey scores 25 because he will have to work harder than he’s ever had to to get those points against Clingan. It’s finding open 3 pt shooters out of a double team that will kill is.

The most important stat of the night will be Clingans minutes. If he hits 30 minutes by staying out of foul trouble we win.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Purdue has shortened its tourney rotation to 7 players with Gillis (PF) and Heide (SF) the only guys getting minutes off the bench and I don’t think Heide will play at all tomorrow unless they get into foul trouble.

Purdue plays 3 guards (Braden, Jones, and Loyer). They are all great shooters and passers but they are short and slight (Smith and Jones are only 6 foot). Our 3 guards are all bigger and stronger so switch everything on the perimeter. No open 3s.

Kaufman-Ren (6’9 230) is bigger and stronger than Karaban but isn’t much of a scoring threat and only averages 15mpg. Gillis is a stretch PF that plays starters minutes off the bench (20mpg) but at 6’6 he’s a more favorable matchup for Karaban.

We can’t double Edey. Clingan needs to play him straight up without fouling. I don’t care if Edey scores 25 because he will have to work harder than he’s ever had to to get those points against Clingan. It’s finding open 3 pt shooters out of a double team that will kill is.

The most important stat of the night will be Clingans minutes. If he hits 30 minutes by staying out of foul trouble we win.
We double Edey he kicks for open 3’s, cant do it, State got burned. But…they did force some turnovers, Edey went 9-14.

Reaction Score
So who does Lance Jones guard? I look for Tristen to be successful taking the ball to the basket being guarded by a smaller guy

Reaction Score
So who does Lance Jones guard? I look for Tristen to be successful taking the ball to the basket being guarded by a smaller guy
Smith and Jones have to try and guard Newton and Cam, doesn’t really matter which. neither has a prayer against Castle so Loyer guards him. I like all 3 matchups for us.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Loyer is the one I would target if UConn were a one-on-one team. Jones and Smith are pesky and try hard. Loyer is just a pretty bad defender. The problem is Edey is behind him. All moot considering UConn isn't really a one-on-one team.
Loyer is the most egregious flopper in college basketball and for some reason that is obscure to me the refs love to reward him for his flopping. So we are doomed!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Loyer is the most egregious flopper in college basketball and for some reason that is obscure to me the refs love to reward him for his flopping. So we are doomed!

Hopefully we're practicing this:
FLOP.gif

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score

Jones is actually not slight but is pretty well built and plays physical defense.
Darth Kylo-Ren plays a very physical style and pounds on defenders to get offensive rebounding position. He will be a tough matchup for AK on defense. It hopefully the refs will pay attention and not let him get away with too much.
So we are doomed, clearly DOOMED!

Reactions: caw

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom