Pummel the Pirates Game Thread | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Pummel the Pirates Game Thread

Reaction Score
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT! (Sarcasm added)
A win is a win. You need to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you run. Stay with and embrace the process, the team will get better. Remember, the organizations who change coaches every time they hit a bit of a rough patch tend to remain bad. Organizations who stay the course and don’t fire the coaching staff on a whim tend to be the good organizations (like the Steelers) over the long haul. Also, this is college basketball, not life or death. UConn is rebuilding. It will take a few years of hard work, but we will eventually get to the top of the AAC and qualify for a tournament bid.

Reaction Score
Yes I know that but that’s the way Jalen played today with TOs bad shots he gave up 10-16 points easy.

And therein lies the problem with jalen Adams. At the end of the day he will be happy come away with 18 points and 6 boards because the stat line looks pretty good. As the most experienced and most talented player on the team, and one who NEEDS to be a leader, he's not getting it done, and hasn't all year. More to the game then waking up for 5 minutes to get to your season average in points.

Reaction Score
They were horrendous today, against pretty much any other D1 team that's a loss.
This is accurate. The start was so encouraging with Carlton, Whaley and KW doing some nice things. Then it eroded into awful, sloppy basketball by two very bad teams. I can’t see this team eclipsing 14 wins at this point. I count only 6 more wins, with this level of play, and that may be a stretch.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
He checked out a while ago but is still cashing those checks.

Most everything that comes out of your keyboard is pure asinine stupidity when it comes to basketball. But you just topped yourself with an all timer.

Now KO doesn't even try to coach according to you?

You want to say he's a bad coach or ineffective or 1000 other things that may be true, fine.

But he hasn't checked out. I don't even know when the last time you went to a UConn basketball game was. Unlike you I actually sit at games and watch this stuff.

He hasn't checked out. Not even close.

Reaction Score
He also sat out a year. Plenty of time to refine a shot and work on ballhandling
So the ACL injury after the year off wouldn't have hurt any progress he made the previous year with shooting/dribbling and seemingly sitting out a year is better for a player's game than actually playing?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A win is a win. You need to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you run. Stay with and embrace the process, the team will get better. Remember, the organizations who change coaches every time they hit a bit of a rough patch tend to remain bad. Organizations who stay the course and don’t fire the coaching staff on a whim tend to be the good organizations (like the Steelers) over the long haul. Also, this is college basketball, not life or death. UConn is rebuilding. It will take a few years of hard work, but we will eventually get to the top of the AAC and qualify for a tournament bid.

Is this a serious take? Crawling? Years? Eventually get a tournament bid? More than one year in a row without a tournament bid is an unacceptable level of incompetence for this program. We do not crawl. There is no rebuilding. Has the team gotten better? They played much better against WSU and Tulsa than they did today. They mailed it in, low effort and even lower IQ basketball. They were better last year playing six guys than they have been this year.

This game, even as a win, could be rock bottom for the program.

Reaction Score
Rough patch? The rough patch is now in its fourth season. Only once in those four seasons did we make the NCAA tournament and that required having a run in our conference tournament. And you want another three years after the past 4 season? Give me a break.

Reaction Score
Most everything that comes out of your keyboard is pure asinine stupidity when it comes to basketball. But you just topped yourself with an all timer.

You want to say he's a bad coach or ineffective or 1000 other things that may be true, fine.

But he hasn't checked out. I don't even know when the last time you went to a UConn basketball game was. Unlike you I actually sit at games and watch this stuff.

The guy who said UConn didn't win cr@p in the 90's under Calhoun is lecturing me on basketball.

Believe what you want to believe if that makes you happy

Reaction Score

Do you realize that I am talking to superjohn and not you and not too many others, so relax? His agenda for 1 1/2 years has annoyed me and he never talks basketball anymore even during a game, he's an idiot as I said. And yes I realize I can be abrasive, i'm not looking for friends here. I pick who I choose to be abrasive to I promise and I have my reasons. But thanks for the heads up. Everyone knows the deal I have those that bother me on ignore again so there will be less.

Reaction Score
Unreal. This was actually WORSE than the Columbia game. What exactly makes you think this team will ever walk again under Ollie? Even given youth, they should be improving by now. Improving A LOT!!!

We crawled in 2015, barely walked in 2016, crawled again in 2017 and we are still crawling in 2018. You call that "a bit of a rough patch?"

And let me illuminate people on our "good years" under Ollie. In 2016, Ollie's best year with his own players, the team finished out of the Top 25 in the power ratings. Even in 2014, we were out of the Top 25 heading into the post season. I am pretty sure we haven't finished the regular season in the Top 25 of the power ratings, under Ollie, ONCE. Not once.

Our best seasons were mediocre, not great, under Ollie. He has been milking that Championship, with Calhoun's players, for four years. He is great at motivating other people's players. That's it and that is all he will ever be. He desperately needs to be an NBA assistant. We need that too...desperately.

Reaction Score

The Giants held onto Coughlin and then Reese because they valued loyalty and stability, and have been one if the worst franchises in the NFL over the last 5 years.

Staying the course only makes sense with a good staff in place. Staying the course with a mediocre staff just ensures continued mediocrity, or worse.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
We didn't even crawl today. We just kind of slithered and happened to get down the hole before the disoriented mongoose could get us.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
We didn't even crawl today. We just kind of slithered and happened to get down the hole before the disoriented mongoose could get us.

We were not good today. And early on it looked like we could be. But we can never sustain. And the amount of turnovers out of Jalen were infuriating

Reaction Score

This can't be a serious post, it just can't be.

Reaction Score

I don't know were you see this intensity. I was at the Auburn game and he surely looked checked out to me as he was stuck to that bench 90% of the game. Old man Pearl was up and yelling and working the refs. KO has no enthusiasm on the side lines for a younger coach. Players feed off a coach fighting tooth and nail with the refs and yelling to do the right things. Also, against Coppin St. he had his head between his legs in a close game. No reason for a coach to be doing this. KO hopefully will be gone at the end of the year as this train wreck needs to end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom