PT: Covid positivity rate drops below 5% nationally. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

PT: Covid positivity rate drops below 5% nationally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The NFL allowed 25,000 fans into a 62,000 seat stadium for the Super Bowl, roughly 40% capacity. That would translate into 16,000 fans at the Rent.
Need to see how things go in march, but so far the super bowl and ncaa national championship game didn’t deliver a Covid spike.

I’m becoming a lot more optimistic about live sports next fall. Expecting 50% capacity.

Reaction Score
I’m actually feeling pretty optimistic about the future.

I think the world is going to change pretty rapidly this summer.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there are still attendance limitations at sporting events etc this fall, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if there weren’t limitations.

(knock on wood etc etc)

Reaction Score
Technologically and logistically it's feasible and easy to do.

Having the will power to do it is a much larger hurdle to jump.

Pop up drive in movie theaters were happening all over the country during the summer.
If I had the AD/School behind me to do this, I would 100% do all of the leg work, planning, etc... for something like this to happen if the capacity is at 25%.

Reaction Score
I’m actually feeling pretty optimistic about the future.

I think the world is going to change pretty rapidly this summer.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there are still attendance limitations at sporting events etc this fall, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if there weren’t limitations.

(knock on wood etc etc)

Keep your eye on the Olympics next August in Toyko. Not just the games but the after effects. If both the athletes and spectators come through without significant infections, that should be a game changer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hartford Athletic had 10 games with 25% capacity last summer. I think if UConn had home games last year it would have been similar.

Reaction Score
There is so much time between now and then, it's wild to me that people want to speculate wildly about what infection rates will look like by then.

I am cautiously optimistic, given the likelihood of another vaccine being approved soon (a single-shot vaccine as well). But there's just so many variables, new strains, etc. that it's just hard to guess six months out.

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, UConn plays football in front of no fans or at 25% capacity to start the season. I don't see them going to full capacity before 2022.
That is full capacity

Reaction Score

It is a single shot vaccine. About 4 million doses of the new vaccine should be made available next week, 20 million total during March, and another 80 million by June.

Current numbers from John Hopkins. 23 million fully vaccinated (both doses). 72 million total doses administered. Which if my math is correct, means that just under 50 million have received their first shots. And something rarely discussed is that 19 million have had Covid and recovered, they should have some sort of immunity.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My school is vaccinating staff who want it on Thursday. Both Thursday and Friday will be “full remote days.” After everyone’s second shot (end of March or mid April) we will have a “fully in person” option for the first time since early November. Tide is definitely turning!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
My school is vaccinating staff who want it on Thursday. Both Thursday and Friday will be “full remote days.” After everyone’s second shot (end of March or mid April) we will have a “fully in person” option for the first time since early November. Tide is definitely turning!
My district in lower CT has had live 5 day school the entire year- and it’s worked out very well. Very happy our teachers cooperated. About 80% of kids opted for the live instruction.

Reaction Score
My school has been in person minimum day hybrid all year. Probably moving to all in (still allowing for optouts) minimum day in about three weeks.

Reaction Score

It is a single shot vaccine. About 4 million doses of the new vaccine should be made available next week, 20 million total during March, and another 80 million by June.

Current numbers from John Hopkins. 23 million fully vaccinated (both doses). 72 million total doses administered. Which if my math is correct, means that just under 50 million have received their first shots. And something rarely discussed is that 19 million have had Covid and recovered, they should have some sort of immunity.

I assume the 19 million infected you reference are individuals with a confirmed positive tests. I think the infected base could easily be 2-3x that number.

Reaction Score
I assume the 19 million infected you reference are individuals with a confirmed positive tests. I think the infected base could easily be 2-3x that number.
Yeah, the 19 mill is tested positive and recovered and even that number is approximate.

No one knows how many asymptomatic, mild and moderate cases there were.

And if you really want to get into the weeds. If you look at the adult population (over 18) of the USA that's only 220 million people. Those below 18 seem to have a natural immunity, they don't really need a vaccine. So the 23 million fully vaccinated are over 10% of vunerble population.

Reaction Score
My wife and I are now a little over two weeks past our 2nd Vaccine....we finally went out to supper last night without the anxiety that has shadowed us...

Hugely enjoyed our supper with a couple of friends at one of our favorite places...it has been almost a year of exile.

Reaction Score
If I’m understanding the vaccine correctly, it neither prevents transmission of the virus, nor does it prevent one from getting it.

My understanding is that it reduces the symptoms, so that people who get the virus will almost certainly not die.

So at the end of the day, what will happen with vaccination will be speeded up (and safer) herd immunity, not prevention.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If I’m understanding the vaccine correctly, it neither prevents transmission of the virus, nor does it prevent one from getting it.

My understanding is that it reduces the symptoms, so that people who get the virus will almost certainly not die.

So at the end of the day, what will happen with vaccination will be speeded up (and safer) herd immunity, not prevention.

I would do some googling on whether or not the vaccine prevents transmission.

From what I have read:

They haven't studied it yet, so there is no declared promise of preventing transmission

Many infectious disease doctors believe the vaccine either prevents transmission or lowers the amount of virus that can be transmitted.

Looking back at other vaccines for viruses, vaccinations have shown to be able to protect the person and prevent transmission.

None of these have a 100% prevention guarantee but they all showed those who caught the 'rona after vaccination have had much less severe reactions and quicker recovery times. The newly approved J&J vaccination had a 100% success rate against death from the 'rona.

Vaccines FAQ - Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center (jhu.edu)

The great unknown: do Covid vaccines stop you spreading the virus? | Australia news | The Guardian

We Still Don’t Know How Well Covid Vaccines Stop Transmission | WIRED

Reaction Score
If I had to guess, UConn plays football in front of no fans or at 25% capacity to start the season. I don't see them going to full capacity before 2022.
Lol, sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger