Providence | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Providence

Reaction Score
The job of being coach at Providence is the same as being the coach at Northwestern or Cal or Ole Miss. Just don’t be publicly embarrassing. Make the tournament every 4-6 years. Get a couple of nice home upsets. Keep the building semi full.

But that’s as high as the expectations get. If they get higher...the coach realizes the athletic department won’t match that expectation and they look for someplace that will. Like Michigan.
The problem is that they pay him like he's the best coach in the league. I don't know the exact numbers because of private school privileges, but it's somewhere around what nova pays jay wright. they just built arguably the nicest practice facility in the country. you can't do that kind of stuff and not expect the donors and fans to be mad when you look like dogshit after all that investment

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
University of Hartford threads never get this kind of traction!

But when Cooley gets canned he’d be a great fit with the Hawks.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The value of rivalries. A year away from joining the BE and we’re already upping our smack talk game.

Personally I want Providence to do well. I don’t want them to become irrelevant like Syracuse, BCU, or Pitt. It makes beating them all the more fun. More importantly we need the BE to be strong for seeding because UConn Is back . My worse nightmare is that the AAC ends up a stronger bb conference than the BE.

Please Ed turn this season around. Dove needs you to remain so he can offer fashion statements. We need more Providence trolls to fry than FriarJ. We need to fill up MSG with fans from lots of schools to show BE strong and make it difficult for Xavier fans to find seats.

Reaction Score
I actually grew up somewhat of a Providence fan. I'm somehow, in a trace amount, related to Donnie McGrath. He was the point guard of the team back with Gomes. Having gone to UConn it's quite ironic to me now knowing and learning the history between PC/UConn as well as the iconic Calhoun quote regarding Gomes.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm limited in my ability to play fetch with you, so I appreciate this opportunity to connect.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The value of rivalries. A year away from joining the BE and we’re already upping our smack talk game.

Personally I want Providence to do well. I don’t want them to become irrelevant like Syracuse, BCU, or Pitt. It makes beating them all the more fun. More importantly we need the BE to be strong for seeding because UConn Is back . My worse nightmare is that the AAC ends up a stronger bb conference than the BE.

Please Ed turn this season around. Dove needs you to remain so he can offer fashion statements. We need more Providence trolls to fry than FriarJ. We need to fill up MSG with fans from lots of schools to show BE strong and make it difficult for Xavier fans to find seats.
Hey now!! I've been good. #hat

Reaction Score
Providence is where they are because of their poor backcourt depth.

David Duke is legit, but more of a two-guard. Maliek White is an OK player, but more of a support guy. They brought in LuWane Pipkins this year, but I don't like his game.

Although Pipkins has good energy, is a good ball defender and distributes well, his shot selection is egregious and that's especially bad considering he takes the second most shots on the team. Once he graduates and Jared Bynum takes over next year, the team will likely be a lot smarter on the offensive end.

When we get to play Providence next year, their team will look very different. Diallo/Young/Pipkins/White/Holt all graduate. They have an underwhelming '20 class, but Bynam and Horchler are solid transfer gets and we'll see a next step taken by Gantt and Reeves.

Here's what their team looks like in 2020-21:

Horchler
Reeves
Watson
Duke
Bynum

Backcourt bench: Breed
Wing bench: Gantt
Frontcourt bench: Monroe, Nichols

Good wings, underwhelming frontcourt and great starting guards but no depth. I'd be surprised if they don't get a high minutes grad transfer next year, but they should be a bottom-half at best or bottom-quarter at worst Big East team next year.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Honestly, the best thing to happen to PC is us rejoining the BE. Local rivalries are good for everyone. Ask BC, Syracuse, and Pitt, how it’s working playing in a North Carolina league.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
The game yesterday was hard to watch. PC basically gifted it away with their inability to run some semblance of an offense during the last 3 minutes. They looked like a poorly coached team with a low bball IQ.

arch

Reaction Score
I have no idea why he thought that was a good idea.

People need to stop being stupid here.
Speaking of stupid, what’s “tagging”?
Nope, don’t want to know, I already have enough stupid things floating around my brain.

Reaction Score

PC fan here since SHAM days love y'all board. I hate UConn but respect u guy's(Tony Robertson, Napier, Kemba, and Jeff Adrian fav UConn players) y'all talk alot of smack but I guess u guys earned it. Will def be at that first home game when we played ya'll. Can't wait til Watson beats up Carlton and David Duke and AJ go to work......also Bouk is nasty.....looks like Zach Levine.

Reaction Score
What's the deal with AJ Reeves? I thought he was going to be a stud and it seems like he isn't doing much of anything.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I’ve been a UConn fan since I was a kid. But there was a period of time when PC was THE program in New England.
Funny how that "period of time" really wasn't all that long compared to UConn's. Also funny how that "period of time" coincides with the time when UConn and PC never played in the regular season. Once UConn and PC started playing regularly, PC regressed to the mean. They didn't quite capitalize enough on their UConn-free schedules lately.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Speaking of stupid, what’s “tagging”?
Nope, don’t want to know, I already have enough stupid things floating around my brain.
@arch you’ve just been tagged.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom