Providence | The Boneyard

Providence

Reaction Score
Too early to be smug
They've been to the dance a few times in last 4 years
Oops sorry I shouldn’t be talking. They’re ranked 50th in KenPom opposed to our 56th. Clearly they are better than us

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Too early to be smug
They're really bad, and trying to compare past accomplishments is pretty funny.

Reaction Score
They’re calling for Cooley’s head over in Friar land. Absolutely wild. Just a few years ago they wanted to give him a lifetime contract. I don’t think these fans remember what Providence was before Cooley got there

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
They’re a lower mid-tier program and always will be. The wins and losses this year are nothing new or surprising.
Next year they will beat us like the dogs we are!

Reaction Score
cant wait for next season where the uconn smackdown of PC restarts.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Their ceiling is being a scrappy team that plays with pluck and grit...and still loses to any quality program.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Too early to be smug

Yeah but they haven’t had any loss of scholarships or other NCAA / coaching foolishness and still have those bad loses. Totally different. ****{ This is my drunken holiday post but I still stand firm with it}****

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Too early to be smug
And on the recruiting end. They managed to pull in 1 3 star ranked #220 something and it doesn’t look like they’ll pull in anyone else. Tough times for Friar fans

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Cooley is a thoroughly mediocre coach. Always has been, always will be. His ceiling is a 6 seed-ish team.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
The moral of the story is our program has been dead for years and Providence hasn’t really distinguished themselves. They got recruits that we wanted and still have been slightly above garbage. If Boneyard participants want to take holiday shots at Providence, let it be. It’s Thanksgiving, bash all our enemies without family ridicule.

Reaction Score
I've had my tussles with PC fans over the years on this board and on their board. I really respect FriarJ and mean no disparaging comments to him specifically.

They would give a nut to be what we are/were the last 30 years.

When Calhoun retired and UConn won a title with Ollie, that was painful for them.

If Hurley, a guy who competed with them at URI, does well here it'll be tough to swallow.

Welsh was the guy. Then Cooley was the guy. And now Cooley clearly isn't the guy. And they're just this "also ran".....again? Tough for them to live with.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Welsh was the guy. Then Cooley was the guy. And now Cooley clearly isn't the guy. And they're just this "also ran".....again? Tough for them to live with.

The job of being coach at Providence is the same as being the coach at Northwestern or Cal or Ole Miss. Just don’t be publicly embarrassing. Make the tournament every 4-6 years. Get a couple of nice home upsets. Keep the building semi full.

But that’s as high as the expectations get. If they get higher...the coach realizes the athletic department won’t match that expectation and they look for someplace that will. Like Michigan.

Reaction Score
I’ve been a UConn fan since I was a kid. But there was a period of time when PC was THE program in New England.

One of my favorite non-UConn teams of all time was the Marvin Barnes/Ernie D team that went to the Final 4. Dynamic players.

Reaction Score
I’ve been a UConn fan since I was a kid. But there was a period of time when PC was THE program in New England.

One of my favorite non-UConn teams of all time was the Marvin Barnes/Ernie D team that went to the Final 4. Dynamic players.

No doubt and right after that another good squad Joey Hassett with 2 of CTs own in Soup Campbell and Billy Eason.

Reaction Score

That was the high for Providence, Ernie D was fun to watch and the first team from New England to get to the final 4 in a long time. Unfortunately for them Marvin Barnes went after someone with a lug wrench which ended Providence’s rise and they haven’t been close to that success since.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom