Providence survives Xavier in 3OT | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Providence survives Xavier in 3OT

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
But it’s okay to completely wrap up Freemantle and Scruggs on the break to a basket? And no flagrant is called?

And then a possession before Horchler got tossed away under the basket?

The refs were bad for a lot of the game. It just so happens PC benefitted late.

Reaction Score
I'm far from being a PC fan in any sense of the word but this is comical

The fans at PC are having the time of their life - how many PC games have you watched this season?
Up until the Nova game at the XL, the PC fans have been much more engaged at the Dunk than any crowds at either Gampel or XL

A win is a win no matter who you play - it's still 5 v 5 on the court
I'd rather be lucky and win rather than unlucky and lose

Loosen up pal and get your panties out of the ball that they are twisted in
Most of them. Been to a few. I'm from RI.

And I try not to wear panties for better airflow.

Family is mostly PC fans. Like I said, I'm speaking a lot from personal interactions and less from message board quotes because I don't waste my time reading their board.

Agreed, like I said they're winning the games in front of them. But every PC fan I talk to refuses to hear the "luck" argument. Their best wins have come against teams missing key pieces. They didn't have to play @ Creighton, face a healthy UConn, or play @ Seton Hall.

Yes, they're winning 1 possession games like crazy - but if you've been watching them, things like Butler missing a WIDE OPEN 3 to win the game or Marquette missing a layup at the buzzer seem to happen a large amount.

The same people that are talking about how good they are right now, are the same ones calling for Cooley's head after every first round exit because they say he can't coach.

Of course they're having fun - winning in college basketball is a drug like nothing else.

Maybe I'm having trouble articulating my point (public school guy, it happens) - just saying that I haven't heard anyone mention how lucky they've been, and just hear them dismiss the luck metric as meaningless.

Reaction Score
you're saying that nunge fouled him intentionally??? he had four fouls. they had to have known any dead ball foul there was flagrant. i think it was just him being "physical" and they called a soft foul. not that we can even really see what happened because the only view is a fish eye lens from the opposite sideline. it was a weak/soft call - but i sympathize with the refs a little there. it's not their fault it's an all or nothing scenario.

but i refuse to believe that Nunge was fouling intentionally. or that fouling Watson was the design there (unless a player/coach has come out and said it was post game and i missed that). I think it was just sloppiness

Reaction Score

The purpose of protecting Scruggs was get him looks on the offensive end, I think he got one shot in the 3rd OT, that's a bad job by X if you're going go to an ineffective zone to protect a guy then at least get him in spots on the offensive end where he's got a chance to score and you're telling him get the ball and shoot it.

At some point you are who you are, the zone was a bad move, just live with the M2M.

Reaction Score
PC probably wins the conference but they are still not relevant.

Reaction Score
no he didnt? he didnt wrap watson up....he looked like he was trying to run him off whatever movement he was doing, like he was trying to force him OB for some reason

i'm not debating that it wasnt a foul, but i'm saying intentional? the coach drew up a play for their second best player with 4 fouls to intentionally foul in a situation where a foul would only warrant a flagrant call? that's what we think happened...?

Reaction Score
no he didnt? he didnt wrap watson up....he looked like he was trying to run him off whatever movement he was doing, like he was trying to force him OB for some reason

i'm not debating that it wasnt a foul, but i'm saying intentional? the coach drew up a play for their second best player with 4 fouls to intentionally foul in a situation where a foul would only warrant a flagrant call? that's what we think happened...?
If he does when the ball is in play, it’s just a foul. When you do it when everyone is just standing there, well…. I think he mistimed it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've never hated Providence.
Then you never went to a UConn game there. I'll feel bad for Cooley when they blow it but that's about it. It kills me that just a week ago the PC fans must have felt like they were on top of the world with the press clippings their Nova game garnered. But they lost that game, then UConn comes along and tops their team and crowd performance. And now their roof leaks.

Reaction Score
Then you never went to a UConn game there. I'll feel bad for Cooley when they blow it but that's about it. It kills me that just a week ago the PC fans must have felt like they were on top of the world with the press clippings their Nova game garnered. But they lost that game, then UConn comes along and tops their team and crowd performance. And now their roof leaks.
I've been to a bunch of UConn Providence games there and I don't hate them in the least. I root for Providence when it doesn't impact UConn just like I root for all Big East teams.

Reaction Score
It depends if you like 90's jock rock or Taylor Swift. Let's call it a wash on that one...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've been to UConn games in Providence, and I don't hate them.

Isn't it the very nature of fandom to be fanatical about your team? I don't get how that warrants hating on anyone.

Except Philly pro sports fans. They are a class unto themselves.

Reaction Score
This year, the starving Pee Cee fans are going wild. It's a new experience for them. Good for them. Rock the Dunk.

But it's unlikely to be a reoccurring happening. This year their team is senior laden with a ton of experience. They were ready to go from the start of the season. While other BE teams were teething, they were winning. As the season progressed, the rest of the teams gained chemistry and caught up. That's why every Pee Cee game lately (even against cellar dwellers) is on the razor's edge. Their NET is in the high twenties. A stumble will make it worse. It's why I suspect an early out in the NCAAs.

But for now, it's high times in Rhode Island. It's the 1990 Hartford Civic Center. All bright and shiny and new. This year could their FIRST BE regular season title. Their first!!! They're virgins. Of course they are excited. They should be. But see it for what it is. A great year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom