Providence survives Xavier in 3OT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Providence survives Xavier in 3OT

Reaction Score
Yeah, the end of regulation and OT stuff Xavier drew up was just bad. Providence's OT offense was basically non-existent at times but at least they had the ball in the hands of their shot-makers at the end of the clock. Kunkel off the bounce to win the game?!!

Meanwhile Scruggs made an insanely clutch and confident shot at the end of 2OT. Why didn't he take the other shots?

Reaction Score
Call me crazy but it seems like quite a few folks at the Dunk are having fun. Even without umbrellas...
Oh absolutely. Awesome environment. Plus that old dude in the student section (he's a doctor lol). The Dunk is a great basketball experience when it's sold out like that.

Just saying their fans are acting like they're blueblood and this is what they expect. They don't want to acknowledge that they've been lucky and gotten every bounce their way this year.

Reaction Score
IMO-If we are mathematically out of winning regular season title..Even if we win out. Would rather have another New England team win than the guys from Philly. More interested in running the table at BET and on to Big Dance. Unless there is an unforeseen upset in BET-- We'll be seeing both Providence and Nova again before hoisting the trophy in NYC.

Reaction Score
IMO-If we are mathematically out of winning regular season title..Even if we win out. Would rather have another New England team win than the guys from Philly. More interested in running the table at BET and on to Big Dance. Unless there is an unforeseen upset in BET-- We'll be seeing both Providence and Nova again before hoisting the trophy in NYC.
Personally, I think the best thing would be if Nova won outright for the #1 seed.

We'd slot in as a #3 and get PC in the semi-final. I honestly think PC is playing on borrowed time, but even still - with Sanogo I think we run them out of the building and I think Hurls is a better coach than Cooley.

Metric-wise/ranking-wise, PC is going to be a very winnable game against a high-profile team that could help with seeding.

If Nova's the 1 you wouldn't have to see them until Saturday in the final.

Reaction Score
PC has needed 5 OT's to beat Xavier, Butler, and DePaul.

The worst thing about their fanbase is they can't even have fun with the run they've been on. Luckiest team in the country by far.

Beating Wisconsin without Davis isn't beating Wisconsin. Beating UConn without Sanogo isn't beating UConn. Credit to them because they can only play the teams in front of them and they're winning - but their fans are so serious about it.

Trying to act like they've been there before when they literally have 1 NCAA win in the last 2 decades. URI has more.

Have fun with it. You're a scrappy small-school program having a dream season where the ball keeps bouncing your way. Embrace the luck. But my God they're insufferable and they can't even have fun.
They looked like they were having fun to me, and without that” scrappy small-school programs ok, we’d still be playing in the AAC.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'll bet Ed Cooley and most PC fans would trade 2 of these regular season luck outs for at least 1 win in the NCAAs - But we all know what PC's track record is in the Big Dance - they will lose to some mid-major in 1st round

Reaction Score
I have a family of PC fans. A lot of this is just personal that I’m manifesting and lashing out on an anonymous message board. Hate you guys, but you’re having a good season.

Carry on lol.

Reaction Score
I read a post the other day on your board that said there were only room for 2 super powers in the Big East and Villanova isn't going anywhere so you need to make sure you're the other one. I also see posts all the time talking about how you need to make sure you stay in front of us as a program.

So you do kind of act like that.

Reaction Score
They looked like they were having fun to me, and without that” scrappy small-school programs ok, we’d still be playing in the AAC.
Every team in the Big East could have opposed our entry and Fox still would have made them take us.

Reaction Score
Unlike other sporting championships - like CFB - our National Championship March Madness (and for that matter, the Big East Championship at MSG) is won by ... winning games. One after another. It is a grind. Regardless of the noise years later, you can't knock a team that won 6 games in March and inevitably has to face a 1 or 2 seed or something through that. Providence College has had things fall right for them. I think they are a good team; but don't get too far out their Friar J or Ed Cooley. The next tests are gonna take them down. And I do not think they are getting very close to the Final Four.

Reaction Score
I've never hated Providence. It wasn't a program I really cared about considering I'm not a New England guy other than 4 years at UConn, and I'm not a Catholic school guy. But I have a neighbor that is a PC grad. We're somewhat friendly and our kids are friends, but his hatred of UConn is palpable and awkward.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to PC in the Tournament. They aren't lucky, in my opinion. You can have some breaks come your way with injuries, I guess. But you make your own luck over a season of close games. I think PC winning close games has given them a calm confidence when other teams tighten up.

They are clearly "not as good as their record" but that doesn't matter, especially in the tournament. So much of it is about match-ups and momentum. Would you bet against them in a close game? That said, the NCAA Tournament is a different animal, and we may see PC tighten up also. Especially considering their history of struggling in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Do we want the 4th seed in the BET then? I'd rather go through Providence than Nova.
I want to win out for our NCAA Tournament seeding and let the BET seeding and matchups work themselves out.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
PC has needed 5 OT's to beat Xavier, Butler, and DePaul.

The worst thing about their fanbase is they can't even have fun with the run they've been on. Luckiest team in the country by far.

Beating Wisconsin without Davis isn't beating Wisconsin. Beating UConn without Sanogo isn't beating UConn. Credit to them because they can only play the teams in front of them and they're winning - but their fans are so serious about it.

Trying to act like they've been there before when they literally have 1 NCAA win in the last 2 decades. URI has more.

Have fun with it. You're a scrappy small-school program having a dream season where the ball keeps bouncing your way. Embrace the luck. But my God they're insufferable and they can't even have fun.
I'm far from being a PC fan in any sense of the word but this is comical

The fans at PC are having the time of their life - how many PC games have you watched this season?
Up until the Nova game at the XL, the PC fans have been much more engaged at the Dunk than any crowds at either Gampel or XL

A win is a win no matter who you play - it's still 5 v 5 on the court
I'd rather be lucky and win rather than unlucky and lose

Loosen up pal and get your panties out of the ball that they are twisted in

Reaction Score
PC is going to continue to luck their way through the BE schedule, earn a high NCAAT seed and carry the banner of our conference, then their luck will run out in a first-weekend loss and embarrass the conference.

Reaction Score
I don't feel strongly about the whole topic, but you have to admit that PC has an objectively higher potential to embarrass the conference this season. They have an absolutely gaudy record in a supposedly top-tier conference. When Providence loses in the opening round to East West State, Joe Casual in Nebraska will say, "Look at that. The Big East sucks!"

If UConn loses in the first round, Mr. Casual will look at our record and seed and say, "Hmm. UConn still stinks. Maybe they'll be good again soon."

Granted, the latter situation will have us fans in despair, but it's a far cry from being an embarrassment to the Big East.

Reaction Score
Says the guy on another teams message board. You are soooo not self aware. You are the king of double standards.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
11-1 in games decided by 2 possessions or less. Cooley is the anti-Hurley.

Reaction Score
Congrats to them, but good god X put on a clinic on how not to do it at the end of regulation, and multiple times in the OT's. Got to give the Friars credit they exploited X and that goofy zone and they didn’t have Durham or Reeves in there at the end.

They've had a ton of close ones, that might bite them in the ass at some point, but they aren't shook by a close game so it may carry over because after you win a ton of them you expect to win those and that expectation matters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom