Providence Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Providence Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We won but this gives us a glimpse of what Sunday s game will be like. I can’t imagine they will be fully recharged for SC. We are in deep poop for that game
I just hope UConn can keep it respectable and nobody gets hurt. This is one game I will be glad to have behind us. I'm hoping fans will temper their expectations for this game, and keep in mind the size and strength of #1 South Carolina versus the health and fatigue challenges we are currently experiencing.

I don't care about losing this game or not. I'm NOT throwing in the towel mind you, but I'm more concerned about the health and well being of our players than the outcome of this game. UConn will have 7 games left in the regular season after Sunday. They're sputtering and leaking oil as they approach the the finish line in 3 weeks in a Monday night match up with Xavier on Feb 27. As others have suggested, they're not in a good place right now. :confused: The Big East WBB Tournament begins on Friday March 3rd at the Mohegan Sun Arena.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it’s the short turn around between games paired with the travel that is most taxing. I’ve never seen a conference schedule that was essentially home and away back and forth for two months with no back to back home games. It’s quite unusual imo and probably leading to mental fatigue.

Reaction Score
Folks just aren't use to UCONN winning like this. But realistically, when you're beat up and barely holding it together...winning may look like this. It would really look bad if they lost playing like this. They actually shot the ball well. Hard to see it.

Reaction Score
A win is a win. Probably the ugliest game I’ve seen all year. Go UConn!!
Speaking of ugly, I'm wondering what has happened to Ayanna's low-post game. I saw her in HS, and her overall skill set seems to have regressed since coming to UConn: She has no shooter's touch, no appreciable footwork, and her court movement is stagnant. Wow. BY-ers were speculating preseason if she would get a dunk--I really hope so, because that appears to be the only shot she is capable of making.. She needs some serious focus and improvement before she can make any kind of appreciable contribution to thisteam...

Reaction Score
A win is a win.

Dorka dominated. Nika really played well.

Team is very tired both physically and mentally. For our couch coaches clamoring for Geno to play the bench, sorry guys. Geno played the bench and it didn't work out to well.

Moving on.
Patterson and Bettencourt can at least be used for short shifts to allow Geno to give others strategically timed breathers. After a few glimmers, Deberry has reverted to her previous level and probably should just be left on the bench.

Reaction Score
Y’all remember when the team didn’t have enough in the tank to bang with SC last year? Expect the same this Sunday. Hopefully they keep it interesting.

Reaction Score
A win is a win.

Dorka dominated. Nika really played well.

Team is very tired both physically and mentally. For our couch coaches clamoring for Geno to play the bench, sorry guys. Geno played the bench and it didn't work out to well.

Moving on.
Would you have preferred to leave Aliyah with foul trouble in, no breather for Lou and just let an already tired and fatigued (by Geno's admission) continue getting even more so? My guess is Geno inserted the bench players, not because he read Boneyard suggestions, but because he felt he had to!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I surmised before the game...

I believe that the inconsistent play will continue...not because of physical exhaustion, but mental fatigue...And it will continue until reserves become available.

This five-some has given their heart and soul to the program and they just don't have much left to give... (see the body language and facial expressions of Aaliyah).

Everyone knows that Lou (our only real outside threat) can kill you if you give her open looks...the community has learned that manhandling her is the best way to take her out of her game and they're doing it game after game...and she's worn down.

I understand that Dorka had a fine offensive game...but unmentioned is her turnovers in the first half...felt like half a dozen...officially 4.

In general, the (so-called) reserves (especially the two bigs) were tentative on offense and beaten on D...They did occupy some minutes but their efforts were
not especially valuable...I disagree with Geno about Bettencourt, I think she is capable of helping a bit...but he has a long tradition of distrusting freshman point guards (see Moriah) .and his judgement is final.

So now we play South Carolina with a pretty depleted and dispirited group.

I stand by my earlier remark...

This group will continue to struggle until reserves become available.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
according to the stat sheet that i just saw,
39, 38, 36, 34, 26.
minutes played.
looks like aaliyah took a half day.

i think that i'll mosey over to the dorka thread. some of youse said some mean clueless things aboot her.

Reaction Score
Very disturbing trend from Aaliya and Lou. Two subpar games in a row. I‘m hoping they perform better on Sunday.
Maybe Aaliya and Lou are anticipating CD and , just saying for a friend. Like a surprise.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That is not an appropriate gym for a college team. It only seats 2600 & the attendance was under 1500 fans. They still have old girls' three point line. It takes "intimate" to a whole new level!
There is no excuse for Providence to keep the double line on the court where the women play their home games, two years after the rules were changed.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Not great, but a win is a win. Dorka Juhasz with 17 rebounds, what does her critics say about that! Still too many turnovers and NIKA missed a double-double by one assist. Now lets get ready for SC. GO HUSKIES!!!!
She should have had a double double, there were at least 4 shots that were missed within 4 feet of the basket.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
That is not an appropriate gym for a college team. It only seats 2600 & the attendance was under 1500 fans. They still have old girls' three point line. It takes "intimate" to a whole new level!
Yes, that was my biggest surprise of the evening. I was thinking of attending, but I checked into tickets and supposedly there were only four seats left as of yesterday. There was similar information posted on the Boneyard.

Then I watch on TV and see acres of empty seats. What is going on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom