Providence Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Providence Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Providence game:
  • Something about the bus ride from Storrs to Providence the past two seasons hasn’t agreed with UConn. It was ugly, but a win is a win is a win!!!
  • Nika had a season low 3 assists vs Nova on Sunday. Different story today as Nika added 9 assists to her NCAA leading total. In addition, I like that Nika was looking for her shot more tonight as she added 14 pts on 6/9 shooting.
  • Dorka has this unique “scissors kick” shooting style. Like many jump shooters, her shooting foot (right foot) is forward. But when she’s up in the air, she scissors her legs closed and then scissors them open again as she lands, kind of like a ski jumper doing a telemark landing. I don’t know if she does it for balance or it’s just an odd shooting quirk, but her shots keep falling and that’s all that really matters. Her double-double tonight was a big key to the game for UConn.
  • Any contribution from the bench is a welcome one for UConn, and the Huskies did get minutes tonight from Ayanna, Amari & Ines. But they really need more meaningful contributions at this point in the season.
  • What are the odds that UConn would shoot 43% from the arc with Lou going 1-5? :confused:
  • The refs allowed a lot of banging and bumping tonight. It was even on both sides but it certainly didn't help the Huskies.
  • With the win today, UConn successfully navigated the gauntlet of 5 games in 12 days. Next up is the toughest test of the season vs SC on Sunday. On paper the shorthanded Huskies are no match for the Gamecocks. But games are not played on paper. Go Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
An extremely aggressive game by Geno in terms of substitutions. You can see the problem.

Did this do anybody any good? Is playing limited minutes in a frustrating, disjointed game really rest?

Then in the last third of the game you have to play all your tired starters anyway, in a game whose dis-spirited character has already been set, Not because the game was in doubt, it never was. But Geno just has too much pride on behalf of the team not to at least try to put UConn basketball out there.

I don’t do negative; I don’t like it. But this might as well have been a forfeit.

Great game from Dorka; gutsy Griffin; Edwards tried to try. Nika & Lou need a week on the beach. That’s all I got.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn played their C game, Providence played, I guess for them, their A game. Trap game, too

I think there were 3 bench points, btw

On edit: Ayanna had one point, 1 turnover, 1 foul
Ines was 0-1 and 1 steal
Amari, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block, 1 turnover, 3 fouls

No rebounds from the two big girls

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not the kind of game you want to see heading into a big showdown. Some nice individual numbers, but losing the 2nd half in total to a PC team that is now 13-11 on the season? And squeaking out a 10 point win? Give PC credit for playing out of their minds.

Team must be exhausted. Tired and beat up. Didn't seem to be in a good place. 5 games in 12 days did them no favors, but this was not a game one wants to see in prep for #1 SC.

Turnovers. Yeesh. Dorka with a huge double double and the scoring Nika combined with the assisting Nika tonight. Also thought Aubrey had her moments. In a game where we hoped the starters could get a lot of rest with lots of solid play from the bench did not turn out that way at all.

Hope Nika is OK - was she elbowed in the eye?

Reaction Score
Not great, but a win is a win. Dorka Juhasz with 17 rebounds, what does her critics say about that! Still too many turnovers and NIKA missed a double-double by one assist. Now lets get ready for SC. GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
Hey, it is a win. Dorka, I really like her consistent play. South Carolina should be interesting. Glad to see substitutions. Well, onward and upward. Looking forward to seeing the walking wounded return to playing time.

Best moment of the game: when Ayanna Patterson missed an easy layup under the basket, Geno turned around and patted the table with his hand in frustration. Next thing we will see, is Geno looking to the heavens asking why.

Reaction Score
I'm all for letting ticky tack fouls go, but Lou took a beating on cuts. I know Geno wants them to play better, but I sensed the players decided to dial it back a bit. I get the grind at this point. Never sensed they weren't in control.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I said this all before the game, but I think this bears repeating. I'm worried about this team. I don't think they're in a good place right now. As I said, all of these starters are at best 80% physically. Some significantly less. They're as tired mentally as they are physically. They have two more games this week, Sunday against SCar, and next Wednesday against Marquette. They're already worn to the nub and when you're playing your starters more than 30 minutes a game it won't get better. AE just looks a shell of herself and she's having trouble jumping and running, Lou is getting very little lift out of her legs, and Nika either can't or smartly, won't push the ball up the court. The coaches are worn out as well mentally and physically. There isn't much more to say. Hopefully 3 days will help, but who's to say? AG though looks like the Energizer Bunny. Fatigued or not she just keeps going. Thank goodness for her.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I love their spirit, exhausted as they are. I love the win. Dorka and Nika scoring well , and AG and LLS with decent points too. The subs just don't add much yet, but I keep hoping. But I must add that I hate the excessive turnovers. Go Huskies, rest up, a tough day coming Sunday. Caroline and Azzi can't come back too soon.

Reaction Score
We won but this gives us a glimpse of what Sunday s game will be like. I can’t imagine they will be fully recharged for SC. We are in deep poop for that game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom