Providence Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
You might be right, but I am confused, with all her flaws that you point out, why is Nika still getting so many minutes on the floor each game?
Because he can afford to throw her out there to learn. The competition is weak. Against a top ten team she’d be fortunate to get on the floor. Auriemma doesn’t risk losing games for learning experiences unless it’s disciplinary.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I seriously doubt that Auriemma paid any attention to any stats she produced in recruiting her. Those show nothing other than she’s not a shooter. And the competition in that club league she played in is maybe college D-3 at best. Whether video or the word of someone he trusts, I believe his interest was based on projecting competitiveness and athleticism. She’ll have to improve a lot to justify considerable PT, 15 minutes plus, this year and particularly next year.
How many D-3 players got selected for the NBA world players camp in Tampa at the 2019 NCAA Women's Basketball Championship? Nika was one of the attendees. The NBA paid for all expenses except for any merchandise that they bought.

Reaction Score
Because he can afford to throw her out there to learn. The competition is weak. Against a top ten team she’d be fortunate to get on the floor. Auriemma doesn’t risk losing games for learning experiences unless it’s disciplinary.

But Nika had the 5th highest minutes in the last game despite her 0-6 FG which really is only 0-4 because she had 2 last-second 3-pt heaves as time expired. Why didn't Geno give more of those minutes to other players to learn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How many D-3 players got selected for the NBA world players camp in Tampa at the 2019 NCAA Women's Basketball Championship? Nika was one of the attendees. The NBA paid for all expenses except for any merchandise that they bought.
Well you tell us. There were 28 girls invited to that Camp they are all not on DI rosters. I"m not sure what this list has to do with Nika playing in a professional league in Croatia. You guys are talking like Nika was the MVP of that league-was she?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
But Nika had the 5th highest minutes in the last game despite her 0-6 FG which really is only 0-4 because she had 2 last-second 3-pt heaves as time expired. Why didn't Geno give more of those minutes to other players to learn.
Yea I agree with you Geno should have given some of Nika minutes to Autumn. Autumn would have been good for at least one of those layups.

Savage Af GIF

Reaction Score
Don't know and don't really care how the NBA spends their money. Probably none which indicates the top shelf competition she was playing over there in Croatia.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because he says she's behind in her game reps and he needs to find out if she can produce before they play a competitive team.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Well you tell us. There were 28 girls invited to that Camp they are all not on DI rosters. I"m not sure what this list has to do with Nika playing in a professional league in Croatia. You guys are talking like Nika was the MVP of that league-was she?
She is considered one of the top "on the rise" European players. When she had a quadruple-double in the 2019 Croatian U17 League finals, 10pts, 10rbds, 10stls, and 17asts, many people thought she played the whole game. No she did all that in 17 minutes of play. In the semi-finals she had a triple-double, she ended up taking home the Tournament MVP trophy. She is considered to be one of the best under 19 players in Europe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure when Geno recruited her he probably though she'd be able to make a layup. I don't care what she shot in Croatia & you guys are taking that All Defensive Team way too far. Her defensive toll kit is empty-she is flat footed dragging her feet in stead of sliding, the placement of her hands is wrong, her close out to the shooter is going to get someone injured. She is also not helpful in a team defense concept because she doesn't understand the basic concepts of denying a passing lane or what it means to deny one pass away. You can beat her with speed or simple change of direction. Once you beat her she doesn't have the foot speed to recover. I've pointed out much of this before but some attributed to her bad ankle. It is not the ankle, and she has a long way to go to be able to play the required UCONN defense.

While we see her defensive potential in an opposite light, I do think the staff believes she is capable of filling a role that benefits the team. Defensively I don’t feel that the staff wants PB to have to defend the other team’s best small, even though her on ball defense is improving each game, and I am also not sure EW, after her physical issues, is capable of that role either. That leaves CW and Nika to handle that unenviable chore. PB is obviously the key offensive player, will be the straw that stirs the drink for the team, and would be the player you would least like to see in foul trouble. Time will tell if I am completely off base here, because I have no inside information, and is complete conjecture on my part, but I can see her filling a role much like Kia Nurse did a few seasons back. She will need to perform in a similar manner since her offense isn’t going to earn her more minutes. Nika had offers from Oregon and Louisville, who were in her final four, so they also saw a lot of potential in her play, and it would be interesting to have their coaches ”scout”, along with Geno’s, on the exact role they saw her filling in their program.

Reaction Score
Because he says she's behind in her game reps and he needs to find out if she can produce before they play a competitive team.

Seriously, when did he say that?

Reaction Score
She is considered one of the top "on the rise" European players. When she had a quadruple-double in the 2019 Croatian U17 League finals, 10pts, 10rbds, 10stls, and 17asts, many people thought she played the whole game. No she did all that in 17 minutes of play. In the semi-finals she had a triple-double, she ended up taking home the Tournament MVP trophy. She is considered to be one of the best under 19 players in Europe.
Which shows how far the young Croatian players have to go to be top level players in D1 American basketball. I hope she gets there but it's going to be awhile.

Reaction Score
I agree that we should see the two of them on the floor a lot in the next few years. Nika is a pass-first point guard. Even in high school, Paige was a combo guard. Her team for at least a couple of years played a two point-guard system, with Paige starting out most possessions off the ball.

Nika isn't a scorer. Geno knew this when he recruited her, he knows it now, and he still sings her praise. In the WABA her goal seemed to be to try to score enough to keep the defense honest. But she really seems to thrive on passing and defense. I think this was the first game in which she took more than two shots. I'm with the others who have said once she gets her first buckets, more will go in (like Anna but less so).

I've said it before, but can you imagine an opposing coach trying to defend UConn with Paige, Nika, Anna, Saylor and Caroline? It'll be like having five point (four of whom can bury DEEP threes) guards on the floor at the same time. I really really can't wait.
How about 5 shooters instead of 4. Azzi before any of the 4 not named Paige! Especially Nika because that's the fifth option without her.

Reaction Score
let's agree on this - She's going to be GREAT!

I understand your jealousy. It is so great here :)
It would be awesome if AG ended up being great! I'd settle for good to be honest.

Since I reside in England now, yes my jealousy rages inside me!!! Wet and cold here all the time and I'm not just talking about the people! :)

Reaction Score
What is missing this year and also in recent years & which is much more significant that the kick out is the reliable finish at the basket. Gabby Williams and Napheesa graduated from UCONN as 61% career shooters with most of that damage coming at or near the basket. If you go back and look at the first 5 UCONN possessions of the Providence Game UCONN got a paint touch on all 5. For the Game UCONN missed 14 layups at the basket. The game should be played inside out meaning that once the finishes at the basket become more reliable, defenses will start collapsing which is where the kick out comes into play.
Yeah you are right Coco! The problem is: will Liv ever be consistent at finishing and then be good enough to kick the ball out the open shooters? Then will AE develop and be able to do that as well?

Maybe not so much this year.....

For this year, I think more often than not, UCONN needs to be able hit the outside jumper to open things up in the middle or at least give space in the middle for Liv to operate.

Next year, if the post recognition and post passing improves, then maybe it will be 'pick your poison' for our opponents.

Reaction Score
Yea I agree with you Geno should have given some of Nika minutes to Autumn. Autumn would have been good for at least one of those layups.

Savage Af GIF
Well maybe....But would Autumn have been able to get to the hoop to put herself in position to get the bucket? It does look like Nika is having a problem with the rim blocking her shot.

In saying that, she is not the only one who misses layups. Does anybody really think Nika is going to continue to miss the early easier shots she has missed?

I think she is a good penetrator, terrific passer and will be an opportunistic scorer. The one thing I do worry about is her three-ball. From what I remember, her shot didn't look fluid to me.

I will say this again though: I really don't think there are many teams, if any teams, that have a facilitator and ball handler like NM coming in off the bench. Her scoring will come...

I think some are selling Nika short. Remember she is a freshie, in her 1st game with extended minutes, been hurt most of the time and had development interruptions due to Covid. She is adjusting. She will be good in time....maybe not AA, but she can play and that is obvious to me. She will be important going forward, especially if CW doesn't get it together.

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
It would be awesome if AG ended up being great! I'd settle for good to be honest.

Since I reside in England now, yes my jealousy rages inside me!!! Wet and cold here all the time and I'm not just talking about the people! :)
We have a bit more in common. I lived in Scotland for 2 years. If you asked what the weather was going to be the joke was ‘Can ye see the hills?’ Because if you could see the hills it was going to rain and if you couldn’t see the hills it was raining.

Reaction Score
We have a bit more in common. I lived in Scotland for 2 years. If you asked what the weather was going to be the joke was ‘Can ye see the hills?’ Because if you could see the hills it was going to rain and if you couldn’t see the hills it was raining.
but at least the whiskey is good up there. I'm hoping to get out in the next couple years. Probably heading to Georgia.

Reaction Score
Maybe its because the questions are so freaking bad. Who are these idiots asking these questions?? Good golly moss molly.
I've been wondering the same for years....same moronic questions. My hope is that at some point Nika will tear someone a new you-know-what for the level of questions. Bet she could do it too, limited English or not. Or just glare and ignore the question.

Reaction Score
Aubrey doesn’t do a great job of answering multi-part questions. That could be because she’s not a fan of the process, or because after answering the part that stuck out, she kind of forgets there was more.

With that being said, listening to the media ask the questions is also frustrating. You don’t need to word a question like you’re writing the article. No one wins a Pulitzer for how eloquent their interview questions are. Ask what you want to know!

Our media has been spoiled by years coaches and players who will give them a novel whenever they’re asked a question, so they can extract good quotes from those lengthy sound bites.

If they are interested in knowing what was different about practice this week, ASK THAT! What did you do better this week than you’ve been doing at other points this season? How do you plan on trying to keep that up going forward? The answers for Aubrey probably won’t be long, but they’ll be more specific and more helpful when trying to put together a story about her good game.

Ask vague questions and, mostly, you’ll get vague answers.
Exactly.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While we see her defensive potential in an opposite light, I do think the staff believes she is capable of filling a role that benefits the team. Defensively I don’t feel that the staff wants PB to have to defend the other team’s best small, even though her on ball defense is improving each game, and I am also not sure EW, after her physical issues, is capable of that role either. That leaves CW and Nika to handle that unenviable chore. PB is obviously the key offensive player, will be the straw that stirs the drink for the team, and would be the player you would least like to see in foul trouble. Time will tell if I am completely off base here, because I have no inside information, and is complete conjecture on my part, but I can see her filling a role much like Kia Nurse did a few seasons back. She will need to perform in a similar manner since her offense isn’t going to earn her more minutes. Nika had offers from Oregon and Louisville, who were in her final four, so they also saw a lot of potential in her play, and it would be interesting to have their coaches ”scout”, along with Geno’s, on the exact role they saw her filling in their program.
Wow! We have now invoked Kia Nurse in comparison to Nika. Please please take a look at Kia Nurse very first few seconds on the floor in a UCONN uniform. Kia Nurse didn't fill a role she earned her way into the starting line up two games into her UCONN career and never came out. Look closely at any video of Kia's-the feet the hands the fluid movement , the recovery and compare that to Nika's. There is no comparison.

BTW both Oregon and Louisville are both starting Freshman guards. Perhaps its time to stop talking about "potential" and start talking bout the actual performance we have seen. Nika needs to start playing better.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Were any of those 10 points the result of a layup by any chance?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Geno just said as much in his post game presser. Said might be good to have Anna coming off the bench but he’s not sure it helps the team. Said he going to have to rethink the change to starting lineup.
He thought pretty quick, cause she was back in to start the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
Wow! We have now invoked Kia Nurse in comparison to Nika. Please please take a look at Kia Nurse very first few seconds on the floor in a UCONN uniform. Kia Nurse didn't fill a role she earned her way into the starting line up two games into her UCONN career and never came out. Look closely at any video of Kia's-the feet the hands the fluid movement , the recovery and compare that to Nika's. There is no comparison.

BTW both Oregon and Louisville are both starting Freshman guards. Perhaps its time to stop talking about "potential" and start talking bout the actual performance we have seen. Nika needs to start playing better.

Coco....Nika has hardly played...maybe 30 minutes in total thus far and injured for most of it....

I agree we shouldn't be comparing NM to one of the great perimeter defenders of all time, but I like NM as a role player giving us some valuable minutes off the bench. Every player on this team is really a role player except PB.

I've seen enough to see that NM has special passing skills and can break down a defense. She has potential as a good defensive player as well. She will soon show she can make a layup as well. Most impressive is she got herself in position to make the layup and the rim just blocked her shot. Not sure about the outside shooting....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco....Nika has hardly played...maybe 30 minutes in total thus far and injured for most of it....

I agree we shouldn't be comparing NM to one of the great perimeter defenders of all time, but I like NM as a role player giving us some valuable minutes off the bench. Every player on this team is really a role player except PB.

I've seen enough to see that NM has special passing skills and can break down a defense. She has potential as a good defensive player as well. She will soon show she can make a layup as well. Most impressive is she got herself in position to make the layup and the rim just blocked her shot. Not sure about the outside shooting....
The rim blocked her shot? Is that really what we are going with? Listen, the only potential I'm interested in the "potential" of Nika actually making a layup.

Zzz Ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom