Providence Post Game Thread | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Providence game:
  • Raggedy start after 11 days without a game. The challenge for UConn will be to maintain continuity and continue to improve during a season of starts and stops.
  • When UConn went to a small lineup, Aubrey & Mir’s energy immediately changed the tempo and complexion of the game.
  • Evina was moving as well as I’ve seen her move all season. She showed some really explosive moves to the basket.
  • Paige scored 23 points on 8 for 10 shooting. She still needs to take more shots. As Geno says, “The person who makes the most shots, needs to take the most shots.”
  • While Aaliyah earned the start today, I was anxious to see how Anna reacted to coming off the bench. When Anna is knocking down 3’s, like today, the entire court opens up for UConn’s offense
  • Aubrey was all over the court making plays today, defending 1 through 5 and even knocking down a 15 footer. Does she start next game?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am looking forward to the replay so I can see what CW did, or didn't do, that put her in the doghouse today.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am looking forward to the replay so I can see what CW did, or didn't do, that put her in the doghouse today.
My initial take is that Christyn didn't do anything particularly bad, but she didn't make any plays either. I'm sure Geno will tell her that she has to have a greater impact on the game, not necessarily scoring, but someway, somehow she has to have a greater impact.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A few thoughts. Keeping it real and trying not to be too critical.

PC is NOT a good team. Lower echelon of the Big East. Lost to Xavier by 14, a team we beat by 50. The team should be disappointed with a 37 point win, practically playing them even for literally half the game. Q1 and Q4 - WTH? I do get the long layoff and slow start, but ALL the players said in their pre-game interviews "we have had great practices all week leading up to what was supposed to be the Baylor game", and against a mediocre team like PC... this team is too good to have those kind of excuses.

Paige was Paige. 8-10 shooting. Awesome. BUT she should be taking 15-20 shots. I get it, Geno gets it, Paige does not yet get it. She will. Spectacular.

Aaliyah eared the start, and IMHO, re-earned her spot back on the bench. If you aren't going to start Anna, and I get the reasoning, then start Aubrey. As @oldude pointed out, her energy changes the complexion of the game. Well a 19-18 1st quarter score indicates maybe she should start - change the complexion from the start of the game!

Evina continues to impress. A bit of a slow start, but came on strong. Loved seeing Anna go 3-5 from beyond the arc. Nika is a dreadful shooter and has scored 0 points in a UCONN uniform. Piath Gabriel has scored more points. But Nika plays hard and had some nice assists.

Christyn was flat out awful. Had some good energy in Q3, but contributed almost nothing. 0 points, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 2 turnovers, 1 assist, 3 rebounds. Chalk it up to 1 bad game, but boy was it a stinker. Glad Geno benched her. Hopefully message received.

Bottom line, some great things from the youngsters, and Evina, and some inconsistent things as well. This team has huge potential but some individual parts were way off today...

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if the only reason that Aaliyah started was because of Providence's "twin towers" that started. She did good but just seemed a little overwhelmed in the beginning. I don't recall her being like that in any of her previous games.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
-what we MIGHT think of Anna differs from Geno thinks. Anna must try to do everything Geno wants in practice.

-the open missed layups has been a multiple year problem

- as brilliant as Bueckers has been, the turnover number has to drop.

-ONO‘s minutes per game continues to be ahead scratcher.

- watching Aubrey play well is an absolute treat.

- the ease in which Paige posted up the shorter guard was scary.

- I am glad he pulled the starters early. Would he have done it against Baylor?

- it looks like the free throw issue was addressed and fixed.

-Mir’s body language has done a 180. I can’t believe how similar she is to Aubrey.

-the posts are too flat footed when receiving entry passes.

- I continue to believe Plath will be factor before her time is up.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
It's what she didn't do.
She had no impact on the game. No shots. 1 asst. 3 reb.
In how many minutes? I am guessing it was less than 10.

Reaction Score
Same here. I really love how SNY shows UCONN games twice. It gives those who may miss it the first time another chance to see it and gives others another view to scrutinize things we may have missed! Kudos to SNY!
read hip hip hooray GIF

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The change to the starting lineup was a bigger reason for the slow start vs the long layoff IMO. Game changed when Aubrey was put in the game to start denying penetration. Before that EVERYONE was getting tortured. Evina was moving well in straight line but lateral was struggling with a noticeable gimp. Paige was really really really good. I see a lot of post for Aubrey for badass award. I could go with co award but if we are going to take these performances from Paige for granted count me out. 14 layups were missed at the basket from 6 different players. I am noticing it takes a while for Evina to get going, probably do to her injury I’m not sure what the solution is.

Reaction Score
My interpretation of benching CW: we started incredibly flat, and as a leader of this team, it is her responsibility to help settle the team down. She has played more minutes in a uconn uniform than anyone else. Her attempt at that was to drive into traffic with no clear purpose, turning the ball over. That to me is what prompted her being pulled.

She is capable of being a big time player, but she’s been so inconsistent. She has a bad habit of just floating around the 3 point line and disappears for stretches. It’s a head scratcher for me.

If she doesn’t get more consistent, I won’t be surprised to see players eat into her minutes next year, especially Azzi being able to play the 2.

Reaction Score
The change to the starting lineup was a bigger reason for the slow start vs the long layoff IMO. Game changed when Aubrey was put in the game to start denying penetration. Before that EVERYONE was getting tortured. Evina was moving well in straight line but lateral was struggling with a noticeable gimp. Paige was really really really good. I see a lot of post for Aubrey for badass award. I could go with co award but if we are going to take these performances from Paige for granted count me out. 14 layups were missed at the basket from 6 different players. I am noticing it takes a while for Evina to get going, probably do to her injury I’m not sure what the solution is.

i don’t disagree singling out Griffin, she had a terrific game but she came in with Muhl and Makurat and I think that three person substitution righted Uconn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom