Providence Post Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Providence Post Game Thread

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I can't stop laughing at that....good stuff Argonaut and good advice to Maryland players! :)
I can’t stop laughing either because when I read it, I got a visual. :D

Reaction Score
Coco - You are a treasure on this board, since the first time I came to the BY (reading your back and forth with Charlieball on recruiting and Geno) I've always marveled at your knowledge and length of time you spend on research/fact checking. Plus your doggedness and unrelenting effort is unrivalled here.

I kind of wonder (don't take this the wrong way), whether your time and talents couldn't be used to do more spectacular things for this country than to contribute to the BY. I'd hate to see less of you here but man some people's feathers are brighter than others. Kind of like Good Will Hunting, you kind of gotta leave "Boston" to fulfill your potential.

This post is not meant to be negative/sarcastic in any way, more complimentary after being on the BY for only a few years.

Reaction Score
Coco - You are a treasure on this board, since the first time I came to the BY (reading your back and forth with Charlieball on recruiting and Geno) I've always marveled at your knowledge and length of time you spend on research/fact checking. Plus your doggedness and unrelenting effort is unrivalled here.

I kind of wonder (don't take this the wrong way), whether your time and talents couldn't be used to do more spectacular things for this country than to contribute to the BY. I'd hate to see less of you here but man some people's feathers are brighter than others. Kind of like Good Will Hunting, you kind of gotta leave "Boston" to fulfill your potential.

This post is not meant to be negative/sarcastic in any way, more complimentary after being on the BY for only a few years.
Don't worry ABCDFE, once Nika hits a three, I'm gonna start a Nika fan club and nominate Coco as the Pres.....:)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

No offense taken whatsoever. I'm glad I stumbled on the BY and this wonderful bunch of opinionated like minded folks that love UCONN women's basketball. I've done plenty and will continue to do more for this country. What you refer to as fact checking and doggedness my wife often refers to as petty minutia so its not all gravy.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What we need is better outside shooting other then Paige. Right now its not there. Nika is a really good facilitator and needs to score. We need to set some plays where she can get her first basket and then a couple of more. Maybe the couple of extra late in a blowout. Everybody else has got to work on their outside shooting.

Next we need to work on going strong and undercontrol to the basket. If we get fouled so be it. Make layups and if you get fouled go to the line. I would like to see Liv up top feeding the more stronger and bigger Edwards down low. Two reasons. Liv can get pushed around down low and Liv has a good 15 footer. Continunity is essential in big games. If Anna doesnt start we need someone who knows what to do and with a young team we may not be there yet. Lets face it. We are young, lacking experience in college ball as well as lacking experience in Genos rotation. It will take time. We can win alot of different ways and we need to be able to depend on 8-9 players to score. Right now its Paige and little bit from everybody else.

Reaction Score
Do we think that Evina is in a lot of discomfort? I watched her during the game and she seems to make a great aggressive play and then come up with a slight limp. She sometimes falls like Morgan Tuck used to and then appear uncomfortable and back off on following plays. I'm not sure if I'm seeing things. I see her do great moves and then disappear.
I'm not sure and haven't heard about any discomfort. She does seem to lack reactionary quickness sometimes which may have something to do with her injury. I also think she is a stiff player, especially in the upper body which compromises her creativity going to the hoop.

On the other hand, she is so skilled and has such a high BBQ along with some good length, that I think she is growing into a potential force week by week. She is another great story at UConn and I really hope she can make a difference in big games against top competition.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So, let me recap what I heard directly from Geno on the pregame and postgame discussions regarding Nika, Mir and Evina:
Pregame plan was to get Nika more minutes (20ish) and he indicated this was to be the plan going forward.
Postgame on Mir and Nika, Geno stated he KNOWS they will bring energy to the floor, whether or not they contribute in scoring or defense, he's not sure but he does like that energy.
Postgame on Evina is the knee is still a day to day issue with her and drives how long she can practice. The knee issue is not going away so let's just assume she's uncomfortable at most times and deals with it. She did seem to drive to the basket more in this PC game more so than any other UConn game and looked more like her for LV self doing that.

So to me, I would say Geno sees something in Nika at the practices that he wants to see in games, not as a BE tryout per se' as suggested but as his view she can/should contribute. While I do think @CocoHusky can come across a tad harsh at times, I do think he is observant and he doesn't "hate NM", he just wants evidence in games of the skills we all tout-fair enough, I say and hopefully Wednesday is the day we see everything on display-assists, defense, layups and outside shooting!

Mir was the pleasant surprise coming in so soon and showing her energy and contributions. Hopefully it stays consistent.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Another on of these proliferating Paige highlight edits - this one out the 9th by Swish. 10,772 views

If they were giving out PHDs in the UCONN offense then the might as well award Paige a PHD right now. Remarkable growth in her understanding of the read and react UCONN offense and how to become a Shot Hunter Deluxe. As a benchmark it took KLS a full season to get to this level of understanding of how to hunt shots. The key to being a shot hunter in the UCONN offense is to be constantly working towards the ball.
This is how you draw it it up when teaching read and react, this is what you show kids about how to back cut when overplayed and post up when you have a size advantage or when to break off a cut because you already have the defense beat.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do we think that Evina is in a lot of discomfort? I watched her during the game and she seems to make a great aggressive play and then come up with a slight limp. She sometimes falls like Morgan Tuck used to and then appear uncomfortable and back off on following plays. I'm not sure if I'm seeing things. I see her do great moves and then disappear.
You are not seeing things.

Reaction Score
So, let me recap what I heard directly from Geno on the pregame and postgame discussions regarding Nika, Mir and Evina:
Pregame plan was to get Nika more minutes (20ish) and he indicated this was to be the plan going forward.
Postgame on Mir and Nika, Geno stated he KNOWS they will bring energy to the floor, whether or not they contribute in scoring or defense, he's not sure but he does like that energy.
Postgame on Evina is the knee is still a day to day issue with her and drives how long she can practice. The knee issue is not going away so let's just assume she's uncomfortable at most times and deals with it. She did seem to drive to the basket more in this PC game more so than any other UConn game and looked more like her for LV self doing that.

So to me, I would say Geno sees something in Nika at the practices that he wants to see in games, not as a BE tryout per se' as suggested but as his view she can/should contribute. While I do think @CocoHusky can come across a tad harsh at times, I do think he is observant and he doesn't "hate NM", he just wants evidence in games of the skills we all tout-fair enough, I say and hopefully Wednesday is the day we see everything on display-assists, defense, layups and outside shooting!

Mir was the pleasant surprise coming in so soon and showing her energy and contributions. Hopefully it stays consistent.
I haven't listened to what GA said, but I'm happy to hear that it is mirrors what I and others think here. But keep in mind, that GA may not be telling everything he feels about his players.

It is early so we will see how it pans out, but I'm sure energy will not be enough later in the year. Players need to hit shots and make plays.......I think they will.

For many coaches, they may not give a darn if the freshie understands the offense and would just throw freshies out there and they may score and look better in the short run than they would with Geno. Geno makes them understand BB and his offense isn't easy to learn. He is a stickler for this! For example, I think if AG were on most teams, she would play major minutes and be a double double machine day in and day out.

I think GA's style of coaching lends to get a lesser team early on and a better team later one, in comparison to what other coaches may get out of the same players.

Reaction Score
If they were giving out PHDs in the UCONN offense then the might as well award Paige a PHD right now. Remarkable growth in her understanding of the read and react UCONN offense and how to become a Shot Hunter Deluxe. As a benchmark it took KLS a full season to get to this level of understanding of how to hunt shots. The key to being a shot hunter in the UCONN offense is to be constantly working towards the ball.
This is how you draw it it up when teaching read and react, this is what you show kids about how to back cut when overplayed and post up when you have a size advantage or when to break off a cut because you already have the defense beat.
I agree but KLS was not much of a creator for herself. PG can get her shot anytime she wants thus far...hopefully she can still to do the same against better competition,

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I haven't listened to what GA said, but I'm happy to hear that it is mirrors what I and others think here. But keep in mind, that GA may not be telling everything he feels about his players.

It is early so we will see how it pans out, but I'm sure energy will not be enough later in the year. Players need to hit shots and make plays.......I think they will.

For many coaches, they may not give a darn if the freshie understands the offense and would just throw freshies out there and they may score and look better in the short run than they would with Geno. Geno makes them understand BB and his offense isn't easy to learn. He is a stickler for this! For example, I think if AG were on most teams, she would play major minutes and be a double double machine day in and day out.

I think GA's style of coaching lends to get a lesser team early on and a better team later one, in comparison to what other coaches may get out of the same players.
One word of advice to the “newbie” -PITHY... :)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I agree but KLS was not much of a creator for herself. PG can get her shot anytime she wants thus far...hopefully she can still to do the same against better competition.
You mixing up your apples and mangoes here. Read and react is equal opportunity, not designed to "create your own shot" and is what UCONN does. Create your own shot is more isolation basketball the design of which is usually to get your better player into a mismatch at a specific spot on the floor. Kentucky runs isolation with Rhyne Howard.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You mixing up your apples and mangoes here. Read and read is equal opportunity, not designed to "create your own shot" and is what UCONN does. Create your own shot is more isolation basketball the design of which is usually to get your better player into a mismatch at a specific spot on the floor. Kentucky runs isolation with Rhyne Howard.
KLS got her points primarily from getting screens and plays run especially for her, using her length and great shooting ability. PB gets what she wants anytime she wants thus far. She can get it in the offense or create for herself and others. No offense to KLS, but PB is a guard with exceptional offensive movement skills, bend and creativity. KLS was/is a bit stiff and not nearly as creative.

I love KLS' game by the way. :)

Reaction Score
I'd like to see how a lineup with Liv, AG, AM, EW and PB would be. AM still guards the 4 assuming she isn't 6'4 and AG guards the 3 or even the 2 if EW can't handle the 2. But, if she had to, is EW quick enough to handle the off guard 2 yet? CW for EW would work if she is hitting the three.
I like the lineup but it does cost us a 3 point shooter. It would require kicking out to Anna more for this to work. I do recall AG finding AM for at least one three last year. Ball movement might not suffer as that was not CW’s forte. Right now AE is a little lost (but with enough raw talent to still be a force) but hopefully with minutes that will change. The problem is that UConn, thanks to COVID, plays too many patsies. Ordinarily that would be good to let younger players gain experience but the core team also needs to to learn muscle memory.

Reaction Score
KLS got her points primarily from getting screens and plays run especially for her, using her length and great shooting ability. PB gets what she wants anytime she wants thus far. She can get it in the offense or create for herself and others. No offense to KLS, but PB is a guard with exceptional offensive movement skills, bend and creativity. KLS was/is a bit stiff and not nearly as creative.

I love KLS' game by the way. :)
KLS is tearing up the Spanish League, leading her undefeated team in scoring and rebounding.

Reaction Score
KLS is tearing up the Spanish League, leading her undefeated team in scoring and rebounding.
I am so happy to hear that.

I haven't seen it, but I read were she was really struggling in the WNBA. She needs a creator or a batman and she can be robin. But what a great robin she can be.

Reaction Score
I like the lineup but it does cost us a 3 point shooter. It would require kicking out to Anna more for this to work. I do recall AG finding AM for at least one three last year. Ball movement might not suffer as that was not CW’s forte. Right now AE is a little lost (but with enough raw talent to still be a force) but hopefully with minutes that will change. The problem is that UConn, thanks to COVID, plays too many patsies. Ordinarily that would be good to let younger players gain experience but the core team also needs to to learn muscle memory.
You points are well taken Dokey!

I'm hoping that AM, PB and EW can be consistent from 3. Anytime, you have AG in the game, in order to fully utilizer her, you need some 3 pt shooters.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure and haven't heard about any discomfort. She does seem to lack reactionary quickness sometimes which may have something to do with her injury. I also think she is a stiff player, especially in the upper body which compromises her creativity going to the hoop.

On the other hand, she is so skilled and has such a high BBQ along with some good length, that I think she is growing into a potential force week by week. She is another great story at UConn and I really hope she can make a difference in big games against top competition.
Shea was interviewed a few weeks back and addressed Evina's knee with straight forward facts. She said that the knee will have to be managed for as long as Evina plays ball. This includes pre and post game management. People confuse the issue when they say things (Geno among them) like she's not 100% yet. But, yes, she is a great story, performing very well and being real team leader.

Reaction Score
I am so happy to hear that.

I haven't seen it, but I read were she was really struggling in the WNBA. She needs a creator or a batman and she can be robin. But what a great robin she can be.
She ended her Dallas season as a starter.

Reaction Score
Aubrey is good spark coming off the bench but as Geno indicates the team jells better with Anna on the floor.
I did not hear Geno say this. I think the teamed "jelled" best when Aubrey was on the floor. Difference of opinion, I guess.
Yeah, 45 seconds is a LOT of court time.
I don't know where you get the 45 second time frame. The game was well in hand at the end of the third quarter. He cold have substituted whenever he wished.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I did not hear Geno say this. I think the teamed "jelled" best when Aubrey was on the floor. Difference of opinion, I guess.

I don't know where you get the 45 second time frame. The game was well in hand at the end of the third quarter. He cold have substituted whenever he wished.
I cold have said 1:45 too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom