Providence offer | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Providence offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'd rather play PC than all the conference teams listed, but UConn fans need to become a bit more familiar with who we're playing. Houston is actually the worst of the lot. Tulsa has gone to several sweet 16s and a Final 8 in the last 15-20 years. UCF has a much higher RPI than Houston and some success (including a win over UConn). E. Carolina was actually one of the stronger CUSA teams because it's in a hoops hotbed). The point though is this: no one was assuming a game against TCU would be a national game. Just to give an example of games CBS might want to show:

UConn v. (B1G): Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Maryland
(SEC) Tennessee, Florida, Kentucky, Missouri. (LSU, Georgia and Arkansas are questionable).
(ACC) Every team except for maybe Virginia Tech and Clemson
(B12) Texas, Oklahoma St., Oklahoma, Kansas (not sure about Kansas St.)
(P12) Washington, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Arizona
Others: Gonzaga, Butler, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, maybe St. John's (they showed Duke-SJ).

I can't see teams outside of those listed on network television.
Careful 'Stater. I was accused of being Warde Manuel last week for pointing out our new conference isn't as bad than at first glance.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd rather play PC than all the conference teams listed, but UConn fans need to become a bit more familiar with who we're playing. Houston is actually the worst of the lot. Tulsa has gone to several sweet 16s and a Final 8 in the last 15-20 years. UCF has a much higher RPI than Houston and some success (including a win over UConn). E. Carolina was actually one of the stronger CUSA teams because it's in a hoops hotbed). The point though is this: no one was assuming a game against TCU would be a national game. Just to give an example of games CBS might want to show:

UConn v. (B1G): Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Maryland
(SEC) Tennessee, Florida, Kentucky, Missouri. (LSU, Georgia and Arkansas are questionable).
(ACC) Every team except for maybe Virginia Tech and Clemson
(B12) Texas, Oklahoma St., Oklahoma, Kansas (not sure about Kansas St.)
(P12) Washington, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Arizona
Others: Gonzaga, Butler, Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, maybe St. John's (they showed Duke-SJ).

I can't see teams outside of those listed on network television.

My guess is that we cannot schedule 4 games a year against just those schools. That's what it would take to have two home games from the home & home slate. I think the list is bigger than that anyway. K-State was a 4 seed and is pretty solid most of the time now. Iowa St. has been good under Hoiberg. Arkansas should be included. Maybe BYU and UNLV too. In short, your theory that UConn will always get two CBS games is going to be tested.

By the way, Houston gets some credit for history...even if the present is poor.

Reaction Score
Spoilsport. Sometimes the cesspool just isn't enough.

Yeah but you always win with that guy. I just thought you would want to look for better competition.

Reaction Score
My guess is that we cannot schedule 4 games a year against just those schools. That's what it would take to have two home games from the home & home slate. I think the list is bigger than that anyway. K-State was a 4 seed and is pretty solid most of the time now. Iowa St. has been good under Hoiberg. Arkansas should be included. Maybe BYU and UNLV too. In short, your theory that UConn will always get two CBS games is going to be tested.

By the way, Houston gets some credit for history...even if the present is poor.

CBS is going to have to do the work for us. You can bet ESPN lead Barclay's and Maryland to UConn. It all depends how much schools value being on CBS network. Aresco might be pretty bad but this aspect of the TV deal is a plum for UConn. It's very important.

Reaction Score
Maybe we should start a series with the only other New England school to win a National Championship in mens basketball. After all winning one Championship would give them the second best basketball history in New England. That school would be Holy Cross.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
CBS is going to have to do the work for us. You can bet ESPN lead Barclay's and Maryland to UConn. It all depends how much schools value being on CBS network. Aresco might be pretty bad but this aspect of the TV deal is a plum for UConn. It's very important.
I've always thought our CBS OOC games were put together with network input.

Reaction Score
Not even close...but thanks for your consideration
I don't know much about college hockey. But, it seems PC is a middle of the pack school in hockey east, at best.
As far as UConn passing PC out in hockey within 5 years I suppose that's very possible. Just look at Quinnipiac. 5 years ago they were in UConn's conference. 5 short years later they are #1 in the country. If they can do it, why not UConn.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
PC rpi since 99-00 taken from collegerpi.com just to see what we are committing to here:

99-01 RPI: 0.4853 - 175
SOS: 0.5321 - 89

00-01: RPI: 0.5926 - 28
SOS: 0.5602 - 46

01-02:RPI: 0.5325 - 96
SOS: 0.5488 - 55

02-03:RPI: 0.5662 - 56
SOS: 0.5710 - 21

03-04:RPI: 0.6121 - 21
SOS: 0.5781 - 20

04-05:RPI: 0.5407 - 93
SOS: 0.5908 - 6

05-06:RPI: 0.5331 - 108
SOS: 0.5785 - 19

06-07:RPI: 0.5566 - 76
SOS: 0.5608 - 48

07-08:RPI: 0.5305 - 112
SOS: 0.5595 - 44

08-09:RPI: 0.5576 - 72
SOS: 0.5575 - 52

09-10:RPI: 0.5166 - 141
SOS: 0.5709 - 27

10-11:RPI: 0.5025 - 154
SOS: 0.5416 - 79

11-12:RPI: 0.5045 - 156
SOS: 0.5295 - 97

12-13: results not in for some reason.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Out of our old Catholic ex-conferencemates, I would divide them this way:

Play: Georgetown, St. John's

Do Not Play: Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul

Maybe Play: Villanova, Marquette

I put the first group together to protect our core recruiting grounds, and the second group together because they offer us no value whatsoever.

Nova is on the Maybe Play list rather than the Play list because we already will be playing Temple but I didn't want to just stick Nova on the Do Not Play list because I still think it could be a good, somewhat-local, fun game to play. Marquette I am ehhhhhh about. Good team but no real advantages to playing them.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the confusion.

They need a game with us ten times more than we need a game with them.

A win over us turns them (in their good years) to a hot bubble team.
A win over them is a hard fought tuneup for a March win over a frisky semi's level team.

If we ever scheduled a series with them, they should throw us a parade down Main St.

Reaction Score
Out of our old Catholic ex-conferencemates, I would divide them this way:

Play: Georgetown, St. John's

Do Not Play: Providence, Seton Hall, DePaul

Maybe Play: Villanova, Marquette

I put the first group together to protect our core recruiting grounds, and the second group together because they offer us no value whatsoever.

Nova is on the Maybe Play list rather than the Play list because we already will be playing Temple but I didn't want to just stick Nova on the Do Not Play list because I still think it could be a good, somewhat-local, fun game to play. Marquette I am ehhhhhh about. Good team but no real advantages to playing them.

So who will uconn play in NE?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't understand the confusion.

They need a game with us ten times more than we need a game with them.

A win over us turns them (in their good years) to a hot bubble team.
A win over them is a hard fought tuneup for a March win over a frisky semi's level team.

If we ever scheduled a series with them, they should throw us a parade down Main St.

I agree with all this. I also hate that they are calling UConn out in the media. No class (I know not a surprise). Bad behavior shouldn't be rewarded.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
So who will uconn play in NE?

Everyone in CT, Northeastern, Harvard, and the Universities of Vermont and New Hampshire. Just like every year.

And since we are a national program, we don't need to play anyone else in New England. No one offers any benefit to us.

Frankly, no New England team is worth a home and home.

Reaction Score
How many times have we lost to Providence in the last few years? It's been the ultimate trap game for our Huskies for years. There is zero benefit in playing them at all.

Reaction Score
UCONN BASKETBALL: We will lace 'em up and play anyone, anywhere...anytime...

Guess JC took that with him

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

It's a much easier position to negotiate from when you aren't contractually-obligated to play Tulane, Tulsa, ECU and SMU every year. Some of them 2x.

Reaction Score

God's sake, Sean, don't be so sensitive. UConn will play PC. Just not every year.
From NE, we'll play 1 old Yankee conference rival per year on a rotating basis. Same with the CT D-1 teams. Plus, we seem to have a nice relationship with Harvard. That makes 3 per year. As far as BC, they apparently will get stuck with us, in a tourney at the Garden. What happens after that, who knows. As far as Providence, we'll play, just not every year.
UConn will do what's best for UConn. Not what's best for PC.

Reaction Score

Seanmc94, show some respect for your school and stop begging us (message board fans, mind you) to play you.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
No offense to Providence, but if UConn wants to keep its image of being a big-time college basketball program, then they can't go play at the Dunk. Big teams like this don't go on the road to play inferior programs, unless there's a specific reason: Calhoun scheduling a road game at Rice as a homecoming for Emeka, needing to go into a specific area for recruiting purposes, etc. Conference realignment being what it is, UConn going into the Dunk every other year would be seen as pretty weak.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
No offense to Providence, but if UConn wants to keep its image of being a big-time college basketball program, then they can't go play at the Dunk. Big teams like this don't go on the road to play inferior programs, unless there's a specific reason: Calhoun scheduling a road game at Rice as a homecoming for Emeka, needing to go into a specific area for recruiting purposes, etc. Conference realignment being what it is, UConn going into the Dunk every other year would be seen as pretty weak.

This. They simply do not warrant a road game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom