Providence offer | The Boneyard

Providence offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ed Cooley was quoted last night as offering KO a home and home deal similar to what Providence has with BC. He is not optimistic that it will happen because as he said, there record here hasn't been the best lately... It would be a local game that always draws well for both teams... Thoughts?

Reaction Score
hell no, for now. until we find ourselves resting on greener pastures, why help any team in the northeast with their recruiting. there is no upside for uconn, but a ton for providence. it has nothing to do with our recent record at the dunk.

Reaction Score
I have always looked forward to the PC games. I hope they make it happen.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If we exhaust our efforts with about eight or nine other soon to be former conference mates for future non-conference games and still have openings I would consider them but there is no way I would give them even home games. I wouldn't give Harvard even home games and they've actually won a game in the NCAA tournament this millennium.

Reaction Score
hell no, for now. until we find ourselves resting on greener pastures, why help any team in the northeast with their recruiting. there is no upside for uconn, but a ton for providence. it has nothing to do with our recent record at the dunk.

I agree. PC is the ultimate trap game and I don't see any benefit to playing them. I have no problem playing them at home (which they will never agree with) but I don't want a home and home. The only upside is beating a team with an rpi of 75+

Reaction Score
Do it. It's not as if PC is going to win a national title. They have a better chance in hockey.

Reaction Score
I agree. PC is the ultimate trap game and I don't see any benefit to playing them. I have no problem playing them at home (which they will never agree with) but I don't want a home and home. The only upside is beating a team with an rpi of 75+

If they're an upgrade to the cupcake portion of our schedule, sure. With our weakened conference, we need more wins against RPI 75-150 and fewer against the 250+ crowd (UM-ES, no thanks).

Plus, we're never ready for Big East play anyway. A road game in December wouldn't hurt.

Reaction Score
Ed Cooley was quoted last night as offering KO a home and home deal similar to what Providence has with BC. He is not optimistic that it will happen because as he said, there record here hasn't been the best lately... It would be a local game that always draws well for both teams... Thoughts?

Ummm.....all of our Big East games drew well. I'm not so sure PC was the little engine that could, filling up half our otherwise empty arena.

Reaction Score
There is no upside for UConn. We should however try to schedule St. Johns or Rutgers in MSG or at the Barclays.
I agree this should be a higher priority, but if we cannot make that happen we should schedule PC. No real reason not too.

If you are scared of them well then I do not know what to say, I certainly am not.

Reaction Score
Of course we should take that. And, given our current situation, we should take a deep sigh of relief at any sign that our former Big East mates in the region will play us OOC.

So you'd be excited to Play Seton Hall or Rutgers in a "home and home" also?

Just because they are "former BE mates in the region" doesn't mean the series makes sense for UConn.

G-town? Absolutely.
St John's? Probably.
Nova? Maybe.
All the others?...Sorry, but there's no upside right now.

I can guarantee you there will be some excellent OOC series' added to our schedule for the next few seasons.

Reaction Score

Just because they are "former BE mates in the region" doesn't mean the series makes sense for UConn.

G-town? Absolutely.
St John's? Probably.
Nova? Maybe.

I can guarantee you there will be some excellent OOC series' added to our schedule for the next few seasons.
Of the teams we were affiliated that are now in the C7, I'd play:

Georgetown (good program)
St. John's (stay connected in NYC)
Villanova (good program)
Marquette (good program)
PC (compelling history)

None of the others. Seton Hall just doesn't have real relevant history, so I don't care about them.
I'd also play Rutgers if we could.
Louisville and Syracuse also.

Reaction Score
Of course we should take that. And, given our current situation, we should take a deep sigh of relief at any sign that our former Big East mates in the region will play us OOC.

You feel relieved that PC wants to play us? We are a top 10 program, and they are a freakin joke. Also if you break down the top 5 teams in each conference you won't see much of a difference. PC has been DePaul-esqe for years and we can do much better. I'm down with SJU and Gtown for recruiting.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'd schedule them. Financially (ticket sales and concessions if they count) it has to be better for the program than some of the scrubs we play now (Stony Brook, MD Eastern Shore, Fordham). It's been a great rivalry. I'd like to see BCU for the same reason. But I don't want it every year. Ideally I'd like a home and home rotation with some former Big East mates. I hate 'em all which will make the games and hopefully the victories that much sweeter.

Reaction Score
I wrote about UConn's schedule before the PC offer, so my reaction to this has little to do with my distaste for PC. I say no. Why? If I'm reading the CBS deal right, UConn might find itself playing at least 2 games on network per year. Since only home games count for network (unless that game is against another CBS conference team), then this means UConn needs to schedule 4 home-and-homes each and every year against top competition in addition to the 2 or so games in Xmas type tourneys. That's 6 tough OOC games a year. PC doesn't qualify as top competition.

So, the only way I'd play PC is if I'm reading things wrong about the state of UConn's schedule.

If UConn is not going to be afforded network coverage for those games, then by all means schedule PC (though of course I'd prefer St. John's).

That being said, I think UConn's dance card is going to be filled by much more enticing competition than PC.

Reaction Score
I'd schedule them. Financially (ticket sales and concessions if they count) it has to be better for the program than some of the scrubs we play now (Stony Brook, MD Eastern Shore, Fordham). It's been a great rivalry. I'd like to see BCU for the same reason. But I don't want it every year. Ideally I'd like a home and home rotation with some former Big East mates. I hate 'em all which will make the games and hopefully the victories that much sweeter.

It's not better financially because you have to give them a home game. This is the main reason UConn plays, say, a Stony Brook in the first place.

Reaction Score
Was anyone else glad to see ex. bball player Greg Economou running MSG's finance operations?

Surely UConn can easily book a game each year with them.

Reaction Score
You feel relieved that PC wants to play us? We are a top 10 program, and they are a freakin joke. Also if you break down the top 5 teams in each conference you won't see much of a difference. PC has been DePaul-esqe for years and we can do much better. I'm down with SJU and Gtown for recruiting.

I'm glad you don't see much of a difference. I'll take your word over that of the market for TV rights, I guess, and not be nervous any more.

Many of you are nuts. We are in a very precarious position. We will need to play more RPI Top 50 OOC games than we're used to, but the others will all need to be top 150 to 75, and not dregs, if we're going to keep attendance up with the new lesser conference schedule.

Keep thumping your damn chests. It's certainly served us well in dealing with other schools and conferences to date.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
It's not better financially because you have to give them a home game.
I wasn't sure if the increased attendance would be enough to cover the fact it's a home and home, but it was only 1700 more this year and both were played at Gampel. I'd still play them, but just for local rivalry purposes. The new meaner Husky will need to mark his territory.

Reaction Score
I'm glad you don't see much of a difference. I'll take your word over that of the market for TV rights, I guess, and not be nervous any more.

Many of you are nuts. We are in a very precarious position. We will need to play more RPI Top 50 OOC games than we're used to, but the others will all need to be top 150 to 75, and not dregs, if we're going to keep attendance up with the new lesser conference schedule.

Keep thumping your damn chests. It's certainly served us well in dealing with other schools and conferences to date.

Not thumping my chest at all, and yes I do not see much of a difference in the top 5 teams historically. The TV deal sucks because every network knows UConn, Cincy and others are about to jump ship. I agree we need to play more highly ranked teams, but my point is that PC is not one of them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

G-town? Absolutely.
St John's? Probably.
Nova? Maybe.

Rutgers, yes. Gives a local game to NY guys and maintains a relationship with a school that might have a say in our future. I'd say yes to St. John's as well because MSG games are valuable to us. G town sure. Agree with the Maybe on Nova as well.

Now I like to see games at the Pru Center so, I would mind that, but otherwise, SH doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom