Proud of this team! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Proud of this team!

Reaction Score
Sounds to me you need a new fiance. To think we would be winning games with zero bench. You need to either explain the game alittle better to her or know the game better. Next year will be a HUGE year for us. We will actually have 3 or 4 capable players off the bench. Vs the zero we currently have. Best of luck on the marriage you can root for CCSU.

Are you seriously questioning the strength of my relationship and soon to be marriage over voicing frustration right after a game? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Reaction Score
The concern is: when, and how? We're going to roll into next year starting upperclassmen who have never learned how to win and freshmen who haven't done it at this level. Where does the break in the cycle come from?

It's critical mass, really.

This year the goal really is to inject some actual talent back into the program, get buy in and trust from the kids who are here and move the needle forward - be it on the court or upstairs in their head and the overall mentality of your players.

Next year, we're looking at ostensibly Gilbert, Wilson, Carlton and Vital all as upper classmen that can actually contribute with three really raw, but really talented freshmen. Then a couple of bit players/wild cards. You want to compete more, but I expect it'll be some of the same from this year, but with some more ups and downs. I think you'll see us actually beat an Arizona/Houston type team - but then drop a game to a South Florida. It's more reflective of your truly capable young talent - that they'll play way over their heads some days, and shockingly beneath their talent other days. Most of it will be evening off that work ethic, getting them all to understand the day to day, etc.. and hopefully we sit on the tournament bubble. Recruiting next year becomes even more important though - because now instead of just infusing some talent into the program, you're topping off a gas tank you hope's deep enough to get back to the tournament.

And now you're essentially looking at Gilbert/Wilson/Carlton as the old men. With Akok/Gaffney/Bouknight as legitimately talented contributors who can step into regular roles. That's six deep. But then here comes the next 2-3 guys in your recruiting class AND you're still looking at your Diarra/Polley/B Adams wild card types coming off the bench behind THOSE guys.

Now you're 12 deep. You have 6-7 really talented kids, 3 mature college basketball players (who also have some talent).. of course it's not THAT simple and might not all work out - but that's the hope. Get this to a point where you have a UConn caliber roster and every year we're emptying the bullets we've got an just reloading for the following year. Now the tournament starts to become more of an afterthought again.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I’m embarrassed to call myself a fan of the same program as you.

he is a fan if they're winning National Championships, not when they are rebuilding.

Those fans can go and root for Duke or Kentucky for all I care

Reaction Score
Are you seriously questioning the strength of my relationship and soon to be marriage over voicing frustration right after a game? You should be ashamed of yourself.

I’ll do my best to reply for @Buffet10 as he’s presently indisposed.
Yes he was.
Not at all.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For the past 3 years I’ve gotten along by “moral victories” and “good tries”. I’m happy we played well with being down 2 (and for sometime 3) of our best players. But for the past 1,000 days now it’s getting a little old. I’ve been with my fiancé for 4 years now, and she’s never been excited with UConn basketball and flat out refuses to watch or go to any games with me, simply because it isn’t fun. Maybe I’m just reaching my tipping point with frustration and turning senile at the ripe young age of 31. But for the past three years knowing there’s a ~50% chance of being excited after a game has taken its toll.

Try what I've started doing recently. Watch some old school UConn games and pretend its present day. Its really good therapy! I just watched the 2004 BE Title game. Damn we're an amazing program!! Favorites to win the national title this year!

Reaction Score
To be worse next year:
-the returnees would have to take the summer off;
-coaching would fail to further improve player skills, such as passing;
-Gilbert would not return to full health;
-Akok would have to be less capable than Yakwe and Williams;
-Gaffney would have to be less capable than Smith;
-the big man we all expect to recruit would have to be less capable than Cobb;
-Bouknight and Precious would have to be less capable than Jalen Adams; and
-Hurley would have to sit on the bench all game with his face buried in his hands.
1/2 price oysters all summer on ladies night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom