Proud of this team! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Proud of this team!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Proud of what? That’s the problem with the current Uconn fans. You accept the continuous embarrassing losses to teams the likes of Houston, Tulsa, UCF, South Florida, etc...There is nothing to be proud of here. We don’t give out trophies at Uconn for participating. When we go 16-2 in this conference of teams that shouldn’t even be in the same room with our basketball championships and dominance, then you can be “proud”.

I’m embarrassed to call myself a fan of the same program as you.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I think it would have been a different outcome if UConn made its free throws. Those misses are basically turnovers.
There's no disputing that. They don't call 'em free for nothing. Gave up a lot of points tonight.

Reaction Score
Proud of what? That’s the problem with the current Uconn fans. You accept the continuous embarrassing losses to teams the likes of Houston, Tulsa, UCF, South Florida, etc...There is nothing to be proud of here. We don’t give out trophies at Uconn for participating. When we go 16-2 in this conference of teams that shouldn’t even be in the same room with our basketball championships and dominance, then you can be “proud”.
Thank you for your interest in UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
Also, winning is a habit, we've been losing for years. You don't break that in year 1.

The concern is: when, and how? We're going to roll into next year starting upperclassmen who have never learned how to win and freshmen who haven't done it at this level. Where does the break in the cycle come from?

Reaction Score
Could this team be worse next year?
How could they? No Gilbert and no Adams. Yet they hung tough against a 23-1 #9 team in the country. Vital hopefully comes back while everyone else is one year older. Akok, Bouknight and Gaffney added to the roster. I am with others in this thread, I think this team wins alot more next year. These past few games without Gilbert and Adams these kids are continuing to play hard, short handed and inexperienced really but not quitting. They played a great tough first half tonight. The early second half lull got them again. But It is what it is. A lot to be happy about and hopeful for.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
The concern is: when, and how? We're going to roll into next year starting upperclassmen who have never learned how to win and freshmen who haven't done it at this level. Where does the break in the cycle come from?

Be patient.

Reaction Score
For the past 3 years I’ve gotten along by “moral victories” and “good tries”. I’m happy we played well with being down 2 (and for sometime 3) of our best players. But for the past 1,000 days now it’s getting a little old. I’ve been with my fiancé for 4 years now, and she’s never been excited with UConn basketball and flat out refuses to watch or go to any games with me, simply because it isn’t fun. Maybe I’m just reaching my tipping point with frustration and turning senile at the ripe young age of 31. But for the past three years knowing there’s a ~50% chance of being excited after a game has taken its toll.

Normally I'd say go away then, but theses aren't normal times and the athletic department bottom line needs all the fans it can get so ...

If you haven't been enjoying the games this season, you need to adjust what you are watching for. This year its all about progress and growth, both team and individual - and the signs are all over the place. With Jalen and Alterique out watching a game for only for the end result is setting yourself up to be disappointed. Watch the individuals, look how much Carlton has developed. Sid ? Wow - in two years he will be an absolute force. Look at the Freshmen. They were used to being "the man" and now they're playing in game where everyone they're playing against was also "the man", only they're four years older, more developed physically, and more experienced. Watch them as they adjust from shell shocked freshmen to sophomores and become completely different players. There's more to watch and enjoy then just the W or L.

Reaction Score
You have to realize there is a disparity in fandom. My wife asked me the other day, "If you say they suck, then why do you watch every game?" I tell her its because I'm a true fan, I'm not just there when they win, I'm there when they lose. I take small victories. Josh slammed back an O-bound. Polley got his 3 shot back. I'm so integrated in this team that I don't cast them off for not being championship competitive. I think it comes with age. Are they where I want them to be? Hell no! Will I still cheer at incremental improvements? Hell yeah!

Reaction Score
They played a tough first half and didn't get ran out the second half. If only not for that prototypical 2nd half start doldrum.
Or forgetting that you can practice shooting free throws anywhere there is a regulation hoop.

Reaction Score
Or forgetting that you can practice shooting free throws anywhere there is a regulation hoop.
Yeah, Josh going 0-4 in the first few minutes really set the tone. He did great drawing fouls for once, but he forgot about the "free" part.

Reaction Score
To be worse next year:
-the returnees would have to take the summer off;
-coaching would fail to further improve player skills, such as passing;
-Gilbert would not return to full health;
-Akok would have to be less capable than Yakwe and Williams;
-Gaffney would have to be less capable than Smith;
-the big man we all expect to recruit would have to be less capable than Cobb;
-Bouknight and Precious would have to be less capable than Jalen Adams; and
-Hurley would have to sit on the bench all game with his face buried in his hands.

Reaction Score
I'd be curious how many teams could lose their starting back court and still be competitive against the #9 team in the country. And we sucked even before we lost our back court!

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
You have to realize there is a disparity in fandom. My wife asked me the other day, "If you say they suck, then why do you watch every game?" I tell her its because I'm a true fan, I'm not just there when they win, I'm there when they lose. I take small victories. Josh slammed back an O-bound. Polley got his 3 shot back. I'm so integrated in this team that I don't cast them off for not being championship competitive. I think it comes with age. Are they where I want them to be? Hell no! Will I still cheer at incremental improvements? Hell yeah!

Awesome stuff.

Reaction Score
You can't bottle this wisdom.....troll much? You aren't UConn but nice try.

Reaction Score
To be worse next year:
-the returnees would have to take the summer off;
-coaching would fail to further improve player skills, such as passing;
-Gilbert would not return to full health;
-Akok would have to be less capable than Yakwe and Williams;
-Gaffney would have to be less capable than Smith;
-the big man we all expect to recruit would have to be less capable than Cobb;
-Bouknight and Precious would have to be less capable than Jalen Adams; and
-Hurley would have to sit on the bench all game with his face buried in his hands.

I think we should all continue to talk as though Precious is committed. Will it to existencr, Yard!

Reaction Score
For the past 3 years I’ve gotten along by “moral victories” and “good tries”. I’m happy we played well with being down 2 (and for sometime 3) of our best players. But for the past 1,000 days now it’s getting a little old. I’ve been with my fiancé for 4 years now, and she’s never been excited with UConn basketball and flat out refuses to watch or go to any games with me, simply because it isn’t fun. Maybe I’m just reaching my tipping point with frustration and turning senile at the ripe young age of 31. But for the past three years knowing there’s a ~50% chance of being excited after a game has taken its toll.
Thanks for your interest in CT Basketball! Now move along as we don't need fans who aren't here for the grind.

Reaction Score
Sounds to me you need a new fiance. To think we would be winning games with zero bench. You need to either explain the game alittle better to her or know the game better. Next year will be a HUGE year for us. We will actually have 3 or 4 capable players off the bench. Vs the zero we currently have. Best of luck on the marriage you can root for CCSU.

Reaction Score
Do you know sports? Did you REALLY expect a team playing 6 guys every game to win? Haha man i know our fans our crazy but never knew they didnt know how the sport works.

Reaction Score

You must have started being a fan in either 99 or 04, heck maybe 10? Plenty to be proud of unless you just don't get where the program is right now. New coach new trail and he's doing a nice job. No more acceptance of even your best player not bringing it 100%, did you see that? Culture needed change, it's changed and in case you don't see it we're starting to look more like JCs teams without the skill for now.

Thanks for your interest in UConn basketball though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom