Probably our worst loss in the Dance | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Probably our worst loss in the Dance

Reaction Score
That year was worse. 5 NBA players on our roster and an all time great Hall of Fame coach AND essentially playing a home game in Worcester, MA. Losing to an NC State team that lost 14 games and was under .500 in the ACC. Horrible loss. Everyone was healthy when we played that game
If memory serves me correct our backup point guard was suspended by Calhoun before the game. I will have double check my memory.

Reaction Score
If memory serves me correct our backup point guard was suspended by Calhoun before the game. I will have double check my memory.
Maybe there was a suspension but Marcus Williams was one of the few that had a good game. UConn didn’t lose to a cruddy 10 seed playing in our backyard because a backup PG wasn’t available. Other players on that roster included Rudy Gay, Villaneuva, Hilton, Boone, Denham Brown, rashad Anderson. Loaded

Reaction Score
Maybe there was a suspension but Marcus Williams was one of the few that had a good game. UConn didn’t lose to a cruddy 10 seed playing in our backyard because a backup PG wasn’t available. Other players on that roster included Rudy Gay, Villaneuva, Hilton, Boone, Denham Brown, rashad Anderson. Loaded
The problem was Marcus Williams had to play almost the entire game. Calhoun tried to play a walk on to give Marcus a breather which did not turn out all that well. Marcus's defense was never a strength of his game and playing the entire game didn't help. Of course, I do agree with you that Uconn still should have won the game and the loss was one of the most disappointing loss in Uconn's history.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
But in terms of under-performing it’s talent level? By far the biggest disappointment.
Not even close.

96?
06?
94?

Those 3 are much worse, relative to talent.

Reaction Score
2012 Iowa State was way worse than this
  • Coming off a National Championship
  • Preseason top 5
  • Two NBA lotto picks in Drummond / Lamb
  • Another NBA draft pick in Shabazz
  • Add in Boat & Oriakhi
  • Barely competitive in the 8/9 game getting it down to 6 and then it was gone, outrebounded 41-24
  • It was known going into the game they could (and ultimately were) be banned from 2013 postseason
They fought back today to get it down 4 before a calamity of errors at the foul line and in transition, after missing the tournament for 5 years, and after navigating three COVID pauses and having to be put in quarantine for the last 5 months. They should of won today, but there's a least a bigger picture and positive trajectory to this.

Reaction Score
After the games of Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, UVA, do fans still think the performance was “horrible”?

Reaction Score
After the games of Alabama, Texas, Ohio State, UVA, do fans still think the performance was “horrible”?
It was a horrible performance. Those other programs also had horrible games and they played much lesser teams than Maryland. Some of us are saying that big picture we are still on the rise from the depths of 2018 and it’s going to get better and more fun. Others want Hurley fired now and don’t like how he interacts with the officials and that he does a podcast ?

Reaction Score
Got out toughed. That never used to happen
Got out toughed but that used to happen in the mid 90s. Had Ricky Moore not gotten hurt in 96 the team may have advanced far. Thank goodness for KEA for guiding UCONN to the promise land.

Reaction Score
Hurley needs to reach out to Geno and Jim and get advice on how to mentally prepare a team for the tournament. I hope he doesn't have the fatal pride flaw that Ollie had.

Reaction Score
Many mentioned already were worse, but Tennessee in 2000 felt similarly underwhelming

That Tenn game isn't getting enough love in this thread. Yes, Khalid's injury hurt a ton, but that team had a lot of veterans who'd been through a Natty run and we folded like a cheap suit against a typical chucklehead Tenn squad. Awful, awful game to watch.

Reaction Score
Someone mentioned this already, but I totally forgot about Florida game in 1994. That was a rough one as well. That was the first and only time I'd see my dad belligerent after a game.

Reaction Score
The 2012 game with JC ballistic on the sidelines in his last game for us a real letdown. The 94 Florida Donyell game and the Miss St loss in Ray Allens last game were teams that could have won the title and then there is the end of the Dream season on a fumbled ball out of bounds. This years team had no shot to win a title but should have played better.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I kind've agree. I still have ptsd over it. After what was expected from that team.
Hey, this is a first, and please don't take it the wrong way. It is NOTHING personal. If any such thing, it's a thank you note.

After decades of reading miswritten English such as, "I shouldn't of said that" when it was supposed to be, "I shouldn't have said that," you have done the opposite.

What you have written should be, "I kind of..." rather than, "I kind've."

You intended to say, "I somewhat..." rather than, "I kind have... ," the latter of which makes no sense. I have (I've) never seen that done. Ever. And it has changed my mood, for the better.

More than 90% of the time, I might point out an error like this to imply of the the person who made it, "What an idiot!" Not here. Somehow it's just funny. Because I truly have never seen it done before.

And it's a lot like this thread, enough so that I can move on without reading several more pages. This minor but novel mistake is the jewel that makes it worthwhile that I read this far. Thank you. Really. I am not making fun of you or having a laugh at your expense, even though it could easily look that way.

Your goof has served as a wake up, and it will remain for me. The rest was just me wasting time reading other people's thoughts and feelings and arguments about a game that last night struck me as so bad that it wasn't worth getting sad or angry over. It was just one of those, "Oh, look, it's going to be a crummy loss in the NCAA Tournament that ends a team's season abruptly" games. Teams have them. Some solid examples have been mentioned.

I don't need to look further and see if anybody brought up the Tennessee game when El-Amin limped, or the Mississippi State game when Ricky Moore was injured. Some games simply deliver the season's death blow early, and without much surprise, and then the clock runs out according to the rules. No tears, no teeth-gnashing. Just, "Yeah, we could have had a game like this, and we did." Or, as some might say, "We could of had a game like this, and we did."

I kind of like that it took an absurdity to remind me to let it go. Or, as I now might joke, "I kind've like that it took an absurdity..."

I really do apologize if it feels like I've been putting you down. Sometimes I do that. Definitely not this time.

And, yeah, that Iowa State game was a stinker, and Oriakhi missed around the rim that season more than I've ever seen anyone do until this year when it was a team 'feature' (or was it a bug? ).

I watched this team, this conference, this college basketball season for more hours and with greater interest than any year since 2014. Other than last year's cancelation, may it be nothing worse than "that COVID year."

And thank you again to whoever posted that first heads up about Paige Bueckers. I've watched every Women's game this year, and I don't think I have ever done that before, even though I've paid attention since '95, with a wide variety throughout, before settling into only marquee match-ups and Elite 8 & beyond since Taurasi.

And the George Mason game was ours, but Calhoun didn't give Adrien the chance to dominate, which was more unforgivable than taking Sanogo out against St John's.

I like that the ACC is 2-5, that Buddy Boeheim looks like a world-beater, that Vance Jackson will play his 2nd Tournament game now buried deep on Eric Musselman's bench and down to under 5 minutes per game.

It's "So what" time.

I could watch all day (some good match-ups), or nothing at all until UConn-High Point.

Madness!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom