Princeton taking it to Rutgers | The Boneyard

Princeton taking it to Rutgers

Reaction Score
Also, only lost to UCLA by 3 points.
The Tigers vs Pirates (Seton Hall ) was a Princeton win in DOUBLE OVERTIME! 75 - 71
Princeton also took down Villanova: 61 - 58
Tigers still ahead of Scarlet Knights by 18 points

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's Rutgers.

Princeton lost to Rhode Island and just barely edged out Seton Hall and Villanova. Carla's doing great overall, but if we're afraid to play them, then UConn is truly in a bad place.

Reaction Score
It's Rutgers.

Princeton lost to Rhode Island and just barely edged out Seton Hall and Villanova. Carla's doing great overall, but if we're afraid to play them, then UConn is truly in a bad place.
Huh?
It’s not 2016 anymore.
Princeton smoked Oklahoma and lost to UCLA by 3.
It’s Princeton.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Huh?
It’s not 2016 anymore.
Princeton smoked Oklahoma and lost to UCLA by 3.
It’s Princeton.
As I said, Carla is doing great overall. I'm a huge fan of what she's done.

But I'm responding to the notion that we should be afraid to play Princeton. If we're afraid to play a team that lost to Rhode Island and barely beat Seton Hall, then maybe UConn is better off in the AAC after all.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
As I said, Carla is doing great overall. I'm a huge fan of what she's done.

But I'm responding to the notion that we should be afraid to play Princeton. If we're afraid to play a team that lost to Rhode Island and barely beat Seton Hall, then maybe UConn is better off in the AAC after all.
Agree 100%. Let's be honest - UCONN has gone thru a gauntlet of injuries. This season alone, our star freshman center went down before the year even started. Our strongest and best athlete has been hampered by knee problems and has now been shut down for the rest of the season. Our best shooter and former #1 supposed generational player is down to injuries yet again and gone for the season. Finjally, a smackdown of heat injuries has sidelined Ducharme, possible permanently, but at the very least for the foreseeable future, with no end in sight.

So now a roster of 14 is down to 10, and 2 of those players won't see the light of day (for the most part) unless we are playing an overmatched team and up 25-30 late in Q4. Our core group of 8 is comprised of 4 freshmen, 2 of whom are currently starting. To say the puzzle has been smashed to bits is not an over-exaggeration.

Still, the team has "only" 3 losses so far, all of them coming against currently ranked top 5 teams. Even tho there was a fair bit to critique in the most recent win over UNC, IMHO the growth we saw far outweighed the negatives. My point is I know the team has a LOT to work on to acclimate pieces that were never supposed to be together this early in the year, and we will know a lot more about our team after the next 3 games, but the team is growing and improving in leaps and bounds.

I have no doubt Princeton would give us a tough game. Frankly, I'd rather this season had a better mix of cupcakes to go along with the tough teams we've faced, but this schedule was made assuming we weren't down 4 important pieces.

In fairness, thought, I am glad we aren't facing Princeton, and I wish we hadn't faced all 3 of Texas, NC State or UCLA... On the flip side, it may make us better come March...

Plebe

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. Let's be honest - UCONN has gone thru a gauntlet of injuries. This season alone, our star freshman center went down before the year even started. Our strongest and best athlete has been hampered by knee problems and has now been shut down for the rest of the season. Our best shooter and former #1 supposed generational player is down to injuries yet again and gone for the season. Finjally, a smackdown of heat injuries has sidelined Ducharme, possible permanently, but at the very least for the foreseeable future, with no end in sight.

So now a roster of 14 is down to 10, and 2 of those players won't see the light of day (for the most part) unless we are playing an overmatched team and up 25-30 late in Q4. Our core group of 8 is comprised of 4 freshmen, 2 of whom are currently starting. To say the puzzle has been smashed to bits is not an over-exaggeration.

Still, the team has "only" 3 losses so far, all of them coming against currently ranked top 5 teams. Even tho there was a fair bit to critique in the most recent win over UNC, IMHO the growth we saw far outweighed the negatives. My point is I know the team has a LOT to work on to acclimate pieces that were never supposed to be together this early in the year, and we will know a lot more about our team after the next 3 games, but the team is growing and improving in leaps and bounds.

I have no doubt Princeton would give us a tough game. Frankly, I'd rather this season had a better mix of cupcakes to go along with the tough teams we've faced, but this schedule was made assuming we weren't down 4 important pieces.

In fairness, thought, I am glad we aren't facing Princeton, and I wish we hadn't faced all 3 of Texas, NC State or UCLA... On the flip side, it may make us better come March...
I didn’t mean to imply we couldn’t lose to Princeton. I’ve said before that it wouldn’t be a guaranteed win. Not many games will be this season. This is a vulnerable team, for all the reasons you laid out.

Where I differ is in the impulse to avoid the good teams. We need to play at least some of the top teams, even if we lose. I hate losing but I would much rather take our lumps now so that we have no illusions about where we stand and what level we need to compete at in March. As @HuskyNan said elsewhere, it doesn’t matter how many games we lose in midseason as long as we make the tournament and can put together 6 great games in March.

Reaction Score
I have to agree with Plebe, we (even now) are not at a point where we need to be afraid of Princeton! I have little doubt that we would win that game, though I must admit it would not be easy. They’ve had some head scratching losses but I think they(like us) will be a far more formidable team in late Feb.!

Reaction Score
Princeton gave us a close call after Nika went down and Inês became the pg. We are currently 4 deep at the pg position. I like Kaitlyn’s game a lot. But it isn’t really comparable to what Paige can do. A rematch would not be close.

Reaction Score
I agree that UConn shouldn't be afraid of Princeton per se but it definitely would be a "priceed with caution" kind of game.
Also, some are using Princeton losing to URI as a barometer, but let it be known that URI only lost by 9 at NC St and the game was a lot closer than the final score would indicate.

Reaction Score
Has the NCAA wbb selection committee ever given more than one tournament bid to an Ivy League school? Hypothetically, if Princeton was upset in the Ivy League tournament could they still get an invite?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Princeton gave us a close call after Nika went down and Inês became the pg. We are currently 4 deep at the pg position. I like Kaitlyn’s game a lot. But it isn’t really comparable to what Paige can do. A rematch would not be close.
Nika played 23 minutes before being hit in the head. Dorka was out that game and Lou couldn’t play the last 5 minutes of the fourth quarter. Aubrey and Ines saved the day.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Has the NCAA wbb selection committee ever given more than one tournament bid to an Ivy League school? Hypothetically, if Princeton was upset in the Ivy League tournament could they still get an invite?
I don’t know the Ivy League’s history but do know the sportscasters in a game I watched said if Princeton can keep winning but lose the League title, their early season performance may be enough to earn them an at-large bid

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow, what a weird season. Lost by three to UCLA beat number 20 Oklahoma but then lost to URI.

The UCLA game was quirky as well.

IMG_1117.jpeg
IMG_1116.jpeg

Princeton shot 20% in the first quarter but then came back to shoot 90% in the second quarter. They had a good shooting third-quarter at 40% but seems to tie out of the end of the game shooting 28%.

Reaction Score
Kaitlyn Chen continues to impress in all areas of the game!
Remember the Ivy League doesn't give their players a 5th year!
And Kaitlyn has her Covid year!
I like that she could be a possibility next year, but consider it more of a contingent need. If Paige returns as I hope and expect, I don't think we need to pursue her, but if she doesn't then I could see a definite interest and Paige might not decide until season's end when the portal activity picks up.

Reaction Score
I like that she could be a possibility next year, but consider it more of a contingent need. If Paige returns as I hope and expect, I don't think we need to pursue her, but if she doesn't then I could see a definite interest and Paige might not decide until season's end when the portal activity picks up.
oldhusky- - The way our players are dropping like flies we could use all the help we can get!
It's like that old baseball saying, "you never can have ENOUGH starting pitching!"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom