Pretty detailed article on Patterson with her father's input | The Boneyard

Pretty detailed article on Patterson with her father's input

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ayanna is one of the most remarkable athletes UConn WBB has ever recruited. She’s a bigger stronger version of Gabby. If she can develop a consistent ability to score around the basket and knock down midrange jump shots, Ayanna will be a star at UConn.

Can’t wait for the first time Paige leads the fast break with Ayanna sprinting down the floor on the wing. Expecting Paige to drop a perfect dime at the rim for Ayanna to catch and throw down…..Showtime!!!

Reaction Score
Love the article. Thanks for sharing. Super excited with all of the new recruits coming to Storrs. I am just hoping that once Yanna gets to Storrs and puts on the UConn gear, she just has fun, get a solid education, and enjoy the experience. Whatever happens, happens.

Reaction Score
Try typing "Ayanna Patterson can do it all. Including" in Google, and you'll get the CTInsider version of the story.
Thank you! I tried before and the CTPost was also blocked, but this one worked!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Considering Yanna's future here and channeling my inner husky...

Excited Aww GIF by TikTok

Reaction Score
Words to remember for all of us, for everyone on our team. From her father:

"“They never think about the mental pressure that’s put on young people,” Andre Patterson said of comments directed at Ayanna. “I believe that words hurt. I’ve read some of the things that people have said, some real hurtful things, about my daughter."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
1200x0.jpg

I wonder if Patterson has a "pilot's license", because she can fly. Somehow you get the feeling from reading this article, and all of the things we read and heard about her to date makes you think she is very special. As Oldude said: "If she can develop a consistent ability to score around the basket and knock down midrange jump shots, Ayanna will be a star at UConn." She's going to grow and mature with each season. If she is a bigger and stronger version of Gabby Williams, she along will be worth the price of admission.

We all hope she's one of those players that comes in and takes WCBB by storm as a freshman like Aliyah Boston did and Aneesah Morrow (DePaul) is now. If she and Ice Brady can come in and make that adjustment from high school to elite college basketball within the first month, UConn is going to be very formidable again, and reclaim their status as "the elephant in the room" in WCBB.

It's a given that Azzi and Paige will be back next season AT FULL STRENGTH, so will Aubrey Griffin. Amari DeBerry should be ready to make a significant sophomore leap. Piath Gabriel should be ready to jettison her training wheels and vie for meaningful minutes throughout the season. Ducharme will get starter's minutes one way or the other. There's still a lot of season and games left this year to be played, but next year's team is really going to be fun to watch and follow. Women/girls that can dunk have become common place. We've seen videos of many of them dunking recently.

This is Tudy Reed listed between 5-7 and 5-11 dunking with 2 hands.
Most women that can dunk, do it with one hand. Like Reed here, Patterson does it effortlessly WITH BOTH HANDS. :eek: Hops is a "gift". It can't be taught. Obviously Patterson has it....BIG TIME. There have been many many female players 6-3 and over that at no time ever dunked a basketball in practice or in a game.

I would love to be in the stands the first time she flushes down a thunderous dunk in a game. Every time she touches the ball after that, the crowd will wonder if she's going to do it again. It's going to happen, the only question is when and against who? :rolleyes: With respect to next season, I'm like Bart Scott........can't wait!!

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sounds good. Next year could be a lot of fun.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Words to remember for all of us, for everyone on our team. From her father:

"“They never think about the mental pressure that’s put on young people,” Andre Patterson said of comments directed at Ayanna. “I believe that words hurt. I’ve read some of the things that people have said, some real hurtful things, about my daughter."
You know what I have 3 daughters 1 wife and a mother in law living with me. My daughters played sports and I heard some unkind remarks when they played and they were good. My youngest was really good. I took it upon myself to confront those people. Its easy to hide behind a screen name and write your opinion or thoughts about a player without thinking about her or her family. My question to you would be how would you feel if someone said that about your daughter?????? Remember you never know who her family is. It could be someone you might regret meeting. Treat everybody with respect. We all have bad days and the girl your talking about may have had a bad day or maybe your having a bad day and taking it out on her. Dont let your emotions take control. The Biggest Asset you can have is to know when to keep your mouth shut. When a girl has an off game or is in a slump they dont need you to beat them down. They know it and the coaches know it and it could be embarrassing and hurtful. The last thing they need is your opinion to reinforce it. It hurts enough and its cruel to post something that only makes it worse. THis is the second dad who posted something like this. Lets try and clean up ourselves.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
“If you rely only on scoring, your outcome is in the hands of chance,” Patterson said. “There’s a lot more to basketball than that. When everyone is happy and having fun, that’s how chemistry is built and that’s how tough games are won. As a player at UConn, I just hope to keep growing in the perimeter game. You cannot really pick one aspect of the game I can’t grow in. In college, you’re going to play against women who are 18-22, so being able to take that bump in college is important, being able to rebound and play defense.”

This young woman already knows something that our 60+++ year old fans could take to heart. Good basketball isn’t just about scoring a lot of points.

Carnac

Reaction Score
You know what I have 3 daughters 1 wife and a mother in law living with me. My daughters played sports and I heard some unkind remarks when they played and they were good. My youngest was really good. I took it upon myself to confront those people. Its easy to hide behind a screen name and write your opinion or thoughts about a player without thinking about her or her family. My question to you would be how would you feel if someone said that about your daughter?????? Remember you never know who her family is. It could be someone you might regret meeting. Treat everybody with respect. We all have bad days and the girl your talking about may have had a bad day or maybe your having a bad day and taking it out on her. Dont let your emotions take control. The Biggest Asset you can have is to know when to keep your mouth shut. When a girl has an off game or is in a slump they dont need you to beat them down. They know it and the coaches know it and it could be embarrassing and hurtful. The last thing they need is your opinion to reinforce it. It hurts enough and its cruel to post something that only makes it worse. THis is the second dad who posted something like this. Lets try and clean up ourselves.
Well said Tony!!! If we could only (as a fan base) embrace these ideals. :rolleyes: Count me in.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Addendum to my above post........................when I wrote "we all", I was referring to "hard-core UConn fans" only, not everyone (non-UConn fans) that visits the yard.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Love her attitude, Afro, and that mega watt smile. :):)
Her large afro and the way she runs the court reminds me of the good Doctor, Dr. Julius Erving. He could fly also. ;)
I'm NOT saying see looks like him, only that she reminds me of him.

1643133490860.jpeg

Just once.........this is what I would like to see Ayanna do against a ranked opponent. :rolleyes:

She's going to help us win a lot of games. When UConn goes on the road, folks are going to want to see her, Azzi and Paige. "The traveling circus" as Geno calls it. He should know, he's the ringmaster.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reminds me of when my son was 15, playing in the Babe Ruth Baseball 15 and Under Regional Tournament in NJ. My son had a Go 'tee at 15...a trait he got from my Father-in-law...who had to shave 2xs per day. I was in the stands keeping the scorebook for our team. Coaches/Parents from one of the teams we'd play later were "scouting". I heard one of them say words to the effect of... "look at this kid on 3rd base... I bet he had to take vacation from work and left the wife and kids at home so he could play in this tournament." And they all got a laugh. I chuckled to myself...but then thought they were actually insulting my son simply because he had facial hair at an early age (i.e. he was "different") ...he no longer had the baby face of several other players.

My son got the "last laugh" as he hit two line drives off the outfield fence for stand-up doubles and 4 RBIs and pitched 3 shut-out innings to close the game. (and Yes...he was of legal age to play for the team)

Funny what triggers memories.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yanna is shooting 61/25/75. She has taken only 8 threes, knowing what her strengths are and are not. I like that her FT shooting has improved every year. She should get fouled a lot, because she moves more quickly than the opponent.

Reaction Score
I just hope we temper our expectations some. She's probably not the female version of Michael Jordan. She's probably going to need some development. I'm most impressed with her attitude and personaility. She's a very likeable kid. Let's not ruin her by expecting her to be able to even dunk at all. I'm hoping for a good rebounder and defender. Her goal and role model should be Dorka. And achieving at that level would be fantastic. Not everyone is in the top 1% and the worst thing we can do is to expect her to be that level of achievement. She's willing to work hard and she recognizes she has work to do. I have no doubt that she will give her best.

Reaction Score
“If you rely only on scoring, your outcome is in the hands of chance,” Patterson said. “There’s a lot more to basketball than that. When everyone is happy and having fun, that’s how chemistry is built and that’s how tough games are won. As a player at UConn, I just hope to keep growing in the perimeter game. You cannot really pick one aspect of the game I can’t grow in. In college, you’re going to play against women who are 18-22, so being able to take that bump in college is important, being able to rebound and play defense.”

This young woman already knows something that our 60+++ fans could take to heart. Good basketball isn’t just about scoring a lot of points.
The one of the many reasons I follow Uconn Womens basketball has never been about high scoring games. I was always about the precision and collective style of basketball they played. Scoring is very important, to win. Beautiful basketball played by men or women is so rare it should be enjoyed by all. Having followed Uconn for nearly 60 years and Geno 30 plus years for Geno it is the Game. Building huge scores wasn't his specialty, he'd hold back his scorers by running practice plays, when enough was enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom