Pressing Daniel Connolly [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Pressing Daniel Connolly [merged thread]

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No attack here @huskyd but have to somewhat disagree. Off season banter is good but Olivia loses her starting spot? I don't think so. Again no attack but to say Geno gives his stars ample time on the court because they're the women fans come / pay to see is simply not real. That's Geno and one who does not depend on a deep bench. He could care less about what fans think.
Fans screaming and hollering for the bench players in 40 / 50 point blow outs are not just at the game to see the starters. I do understand he keeps many in the game as it is their best competition other than themselves, but they have a men's practice team for that. The starting line up or minutes will depend on two things, how they perform in practice / work ethic / attitude etc and any possible injuries. Geno's MO has nothing to do with what we think or want to see.
Personally not always happy but 11 NC's tells me to accept it and who he puts on the floor. ;)
I too doubt ONO loses her starting spot, at least at the outset. Perhaps during the season if someone consistently plays better in the paint that she does, then maybe. UConn was a different team when Liv went to the bench last year. I expect it to be so THIS year as well. At 21 years of age, and a 4 year starter, few opponents will have players in a game older or more experienced than her. Time will tell.

That’s a call no one can make in June. Liv is a 3 year starter. She is grown and mature as she is going to be here. She’s not an inexperienced immature freshman. Liv won’t lose her starting spot. Someone will have to take it. I’m with Woof 101, I’ll accept whoever Geno puts out there. I have no preference. I just want us to win as many games as possible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My vote is for GENO's choice!!! That said: ONO and Dorka share the POST ( as well as
high/ low with able help from Aaliyah). The other positions will be the SENIOR/CAPTAINs
with CW and EW starting. Not mentioned is the obvious trend setter of " the one who
need not be named" . Point Guard is an interesting issue. In my opinion it has been
a functional blend of Paige, " E " and Nika.
But I am most interested in discussing Nika Muhl. I think she comes back better and stronger.
IMO next year we will see the Nika of the second half of her Freshman year , not the first half ( the tears
being part of the turning point ). My primary reasons are that she "matured" a lot last
year but still " enjoys" the: " you make two people happy with an assist ". Watch again her
highlight film from last year= how often she gave that final pass to Aaliyah, Aubrey,
"E" and a host of others. Also, if you watch her Croatia highlights, she could EASILY
make her 3 point shooting skill ( see Creighton game ) a significant "second option"
when the opposition chooses not to cover her.
So, in summary, with all the scorers on this UCONN team by having her
get her "minutes" she will be the facilitator that makes the CHEMISTRY WORK. I don't
look to her for "points". She will be very valuable part of the rotation and "flow".
P.S. Don't underestimate Caroline Ducharme's skill set, i.e. beyond her three point
skill. See the OMNI tri-state all star game (full game and highlights): note her defense, blocks,
passes, running of the floor, and overall TEAM play. There is not " I" in "TEAM".
WELL DONE CAROLINE!

Reaction Score
Nika has many supporters and some critics here. I personally felt that she contributed a good deal this past season but in allocating minutes for the coming season, I had her with only 12 minutes on average. I certainly agreed with Geno when he pointed out that she contributed both offensively and defensively last year but I feel that her primary contribution was allowing Paige to move to shooting guard when Geno was desperate to get her to shoot more.

This year I think will be a great deal different. While last year Paige was our only real threat from beyond the arc, shooting over 50% until she turned her ankle against Tennessee, this year the team will have far more 3 point shooting options, from Azzi, Caroline, Saylor even to Dorka in addition to Christyn. This will allow Paige to return to what she feels is her best game, i.e. "pass first" setting up "shoot first" teammates. I don't think many here would suggest that Nika is a better PG than Paige and that is really her only position. And because I think most would agree with me that Paige will lead the team in minutes, Nika's minutes will have to be reduced. We just won't have the same need as last year.

Last season the best 1-2 combination (after the tears) was Mühl(1) - Bueckers(2). Bueckers(1) - anyone(2) isn't as good.
I'm not sold on the idea of UConn's scoring options next season allowing Bueckers to return to being the distributor. When Fudd is on the bench Bueckers becomes the best scoring option.
My guess? Bueckers and Mühl split the pg minutes and Bueckers plays some 2, especially when Fudd sits. But no matter how it's done you run out of minutes before you run out of talent. If nothing else this topic could set a post record.

Last edited:

PvP

Reaction Score
I certainly agree that LAST YEAR the best (1) (2) combination was Nika (post tears) and Paige but that was primarily because Paige was so clearly the team's best scorer from beyond the arc and from mid-range. No one else shot even 35% from 3 point land while Paige was over 50% until she turned her ankle.
Unless people like Stephen Curry don't know great shooting when they see it, THIS YEAR will be vastly different even if you only consider Azzi joining the team. Add in Caroline, Saylor and maybe even Dorka who has had a 40%+ season in the Big 10, and the need to have Paige as a (2) has been considerably diminished. Nika will still likely be Paige's backup at (1), but with much lower minutes. I figure around 12 unless she is able to greatly improve her outside shooting.

Reaction Score
I certainly agree that LAST YEAR the best (1) (2) combination was Nika (post tears) and Paige but that was primarily because Paige was so clearly the team's best scorer from beyond the arc and from mid-range. No one else shot even 35% from 3 point land while Paige was over 50% until she turned her ankle.
Unless people like Stephen Curry don't know great shooting when they see it, THIS YEAR will be vastly different even if you only consider Azzi joining the team. Add in Caroline, Saylor and maybe even Dorka who has had a 40%+ season in the Big 10, and the need to have Paige as a (2) has been considerably diminished. Nika will still likely be Paige's backup at (1), but with much lower minutes. I figure around 12 unless she is able to greatly improve her outside shooting.

In regards to Nika vs the others not named Azzi or Paige-

What makes you think CWill and Evina are going to be better from 3 pt range by any significant amount? They moved back the 3pt line. I'm not saying they won't be - but it's possible they won't, right? I'm skeptical moving back a 3pt line won't affect some shooters that aren't really that great of "shooters." Maybe they don't get worse- but maybe they don't get much better, either.

When we heard Saylor was coming last year, were you reading posts back then from this site about her being a sharpshooter? She may be one eventually but she didn't show it early. That's typical of freshmen though, isn't it? Unless you are very, very super? And initially my guess would be Caroline falls under the same boat. I'll believe she is a sharpshooter as a frosh when I see it. There are players like Paige and Azzi that are super elite then others just somewhat behind. And as for Nika - when she got healthy and acclimated she was 24-60 from 3. An impressive 40%.

I don't expect Nika to get same minutes as last year - but I expect more than 12. But I wouldn't be using your 200 minute barometer either. Last year - because of injures and benching etc - it was 224. A 4 year average is 217. Unless you are then going to recalculate the 224/217 and prorate it into 200?

I'm not saying you are wrong. No way no how you are. Please don't take it that way. Just offering a different pov of wild, wild guessing of what might happen. Pure tea laves.

Last edited:

PvP

Reaction Score
In regards to Nika vs the others not named Azzi or Paige-

What makes you think CWill and Evina are going to be better from 3 pt range by any significant amount? They moved back the 3pt line. I'm not saying they won't be - but it's possible they won't, right? I'm skeptical moving back a 3pt line won't affect some shooters that aren't really that great of "shooters." Maybe they don't get worse- but maybe they don't get much better, either.

When we heard Saylor was coming last year, were you reading posts back then from this site about her being a sharpshooter? She may be one eventually but she didn't show it early. That's typical of freshmen though, isn't it? Unless you are very, very super? And initially my guess would be Carolyn falls under the same boat. I'll believe she is a sharpshooter as a frosh when I see it. There are players like Paige and Azzi that are super elite then others just somewhat behind. And as for Nika - when she got healthy and acclimated she was 24-60 from 3. An impressive 40%.

I don't expect Nika to get same minutes as last year - but I expect more than 12. But I wouldn't be using your 200 minute barometer either. Last year - because of injures and benching etc - it was 224. A 4 year average is 217. Unless you are then going to recalculate the 224/217 and prorate it into 200?

I'm not saying you are wrong. No way no how you are. Please don't take it that way. Just offering a different pov of wild, wild guessing of what might happen. Pure tea laves.
Huskee,

I certainly didn't take any offense from the fact that you had your own take on what I completely agree are wild guesses.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think of the 200 minute exercise as a means of firming up rather vague thoughts about an unknowable but fascinating future. By so doing and by getting others, particularly Daniel Connolly and Megan Gaurer, to likewise reduce words to numbers, each of us will have benchmarks to look back on and to alter periodically at the start of the regular season as well as during and after the season as well.

I have done this before and have been forced to face wildly off target expectations as well as some predictions which were highly satisfyingly spot on. From both results I got deeper insights into my own thinking as well as into Geno's.

I also found that, by resorting to numbers, I in effect had skin in the game which always makes following a team all the more involving.

With regard to a few of your comments, I don't believe I mentioned either E or Christyn or what results either might have from 3 point shooting this season. I did highlight Azzi and how her presence and her acknowledged shooting skills would impact Paige's role and Nika's minutes. I also mentioned some new comers with histories of 3 point success elsewhere who might also improve UConn's long range scoring. Except for Dorka, all of their previous successes were in high school and thus far from assured at the next level. But I tried to say that just Azzi's impact would be sufficient to change Paige's role and Nika's minutes. Lastly, I believe that I said an improvement in Nika's long range shooting would result in more minutes for her than I currently envision.

In sum, I just encourage others to crystallize their thinking by this exercise and I believe they will get even more enjoyment from following the team and greater insight into their own foresight as well.

Reaction Score
Huskee,

I certainly didn't take any offense from the fact that you had your own take on what I completely agree are wild guesses.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I think of the 200 minute exercise as a means of firming up rather vague thoughts about an unknowable but fascinating future. By so doing and by getting others, particularly Daniel Connolly and Megan Gaurer, to likewise reduce words to numbers, each of us will have benchmarks to look back on and to alter periodically at the start of the regular season as well as during and after the season as well.

I have done this before and have been forced to face wildly off target expectations as well as some predictions which were highly satisfyingly spot on. From both results I got deeper insights into my own thinking as well as into Geno's.

I also found that, by resorting to numbers, I in effect had skin in the game which always makes following a team all the more involving.

With regard to a few of your comments, I don't believe I mentioned either E or Christyn or what results either might have from 3 point shooting this season. I did highlight Azzi and how her presence and her acknowledged shooting skills would impact Paige's role and Nika's minutes. I also mentioned some new comers with histories of 3 point success elsewhere who might also improve UConn's long range scoring. Except for Dorka, all of their previous successes were in high school and thus far from assured at the next level. But I tried to say that just Azzi's impact would be sufficient to change Paige's role and Nika's minutes. Lastly, I believe that I said an improvement in Nika's long range shooting would result in more minutes for her than I currently envision.

In sum, I just encourage others to crystallize their thinking by this exercise and I believe they will get even more enjoyment from following the team and greater insight into their own foresight as well.

I enjoy the conversations too. Would love to hear more from lurkers and others for their opinions. But I do usually do what you're doing.

With that said- I look at Nika getting more than 12 - 3fold with 1 and 2 being similar.

1-- UCONN played two low post elite power teams and stayed with them/beat them. Their two losses were against teams non post play teams. This team and last year's team should never lose games by a non-low post team.

2-- You had had made two posts on this thread regarding minutes for Nika (you are mentioning to decline her minutes to 12),--- and mentioned they had enough shooting so that's why I referenced CWill and Evina.

3-- I can't trust the other frosh as I previously mentioned, and I can't trust Dorka as a shooter / especially ft shooter. I do believe she is good player though.

As a result, I look at it like Nika one thing we know is that she is an elite passer.

For this year - just as an early wild guess view- UCONN only picked up 1 sharpshooter. And - Geno is a slightly-more offensive coach before defense, and he complained all year about shooting. UCONN now has 2 reliable shooters more-than-likely in Paige and probably Azzi. So in order to prevent too much sagging off of Paige and Azzi, of course we have CWill (due to her ability to drive) and the other is Nika. While Evina can easily play 1-3 but having her as the PF too along with 1-3- and then throw in Edwards as a center for minutes- this is a formidable team. OFC Liv and Dorka and Aubrey - 2 of the 3 whether Liv starts etc --- gets healthy minutes. And at least one gets more minutes than Nika too. To further this, I wouldn't give Edwards a 30 minute average.

So in this scenario I see more than 12 minutes for Nika. Her elite passing and good shooting after she became acclimated and healthy are too valuable- considering Geno prefers offense over defense from what I've always believed and picked up from UConnCat's post regarding a Geno podcast. I'm sure others have a different take - but that's mine.

PvP

Reaction Score
Huskee,

OK, we are making progress! I must say I don't understand what you meant by "I look at Nika getting more than 12 - 3fold with 1 and 2 being similar." But you at least are on record as looking for Nika to get more than 12 minutes per game on average. But more than 12 is subject to a very broad interpretation. Can I get you to commit to a number, of course subject to revision as all such numbers are over time? And yes, I agree that Nika's minutes are going to be highly influenced by how many minutes Edwards gets so maybe a prediction for her as well?

I really found your comments about how we fared against low post and non-low post teams insightful and agree completely.

PvP

Reaction Score
Huskee,

One thing about your assertion that we would not fall to any low post team; did you consider SC with Boston and Cardoza?

Reaction Score
Huskee,

One thing about your assertion that we would not fall to any low post team; did you consider SC with Boston and Cardoza?
We dominated Cardoso. Absolutely dominated. Just pull up 5 feet away from her.

Reaction Score
We dominated Cardoso. Absolutely dominated. Just pull up 5 feet away from her.
Cardoso on Syracuse vs on SC is going to be a much different battle. She’s surrounded by a lot more talent. Her being there to give Boston a break is going to give us a problems. Having to compete the whole game with 2 elite posts will pose its challenges.

Reaction Score
Cardoso on Syracuse vs on SC is going to be a much different battle. She’s surrounded by a lot more talent. Her being there to give Boston a break is going to give us a problems. Having to compete the whole game with 2 elite posts will pose its challenges.
I don't even think S.C. fans are that excited about Cardoso. We have a few more fouls to give this year, that might come in handy in that game, but she is not yet elite.

She was not first-team ACC on the coaches poll.

Reaction Score
I just think people are projecting her to be something she has not proven yet.

Reaction Score
Huskee,

OK, we are making progress! I must say I don't understand what you meant by "I look at Nika getting more than 12 - 3fold with 1 and 2 being similar." But you at least are on record as looking for Nika to get more than 12 minutes per game on average. But more than 12 is subject to a very broad interpretation. Can I get you to commit to a number, of course subject to revision as all such numbers are over time? And yes, I agree that Nika's minutes are going to be highly influenced by how many minutes Edwards gets so maybe a prediction for her as well?

I really found your comments about how we fared against low post and non-low post teams insightful and agree completely.

Every year I usually can do this whether I'm right or wrong. But this year there are way too many variables at extreme levels. A wild estimate if I were to prorate last year's 224 minutes to this year's projection then to 200 it would be 18- and try to find more.

But many factors- there is little point of reference which I can draw from.

1-- Azzi's knee. Over a month ago a poster did this minute projection and gave Azzi just 18. I replied that I felt she'd get more. Then another poster who follows H/S hoop a lot, lot, lot more than I replied to my post that 18 may be close due to health and other issues. While around the same time another thread started specifically with Azzi and there were posters that follow h/s hoop a lot, lot, lot more than I were getting psyched for Azzi coming and saying there should be very, very little to worry about regarding her knee in term of her impact/ or people being cautious. So which is it?

2-- Evina's knee. How much would she have played if Geno felt UCONN was deep? And - after how many minutes is her play affected due to her knee?

3-- The extension of the 3pt line and how it will affect Evina, CWill, Nika, Saylor, Ducharme, and Dorka 3pt %? You know that I believe Geno sides more with offense than defense (unless the defense is so awful) - and we know Geno complained a lot about the shooting. I have no point of reference to know how the 3pt shooting will affect over-and-above normal season-to-season which we speculate. I assume Paige and Azzi are fine. I lean toward Nika being okay.

4-- Dorka. How can she be a legit 3pt shooter but be so absolutely awful from the FT line? How is that even possible? I don't understand. So suppose she is like Az Stevens when it comes to 3pt shooting? AZ Stevens coming to UCONN was thought to be a decent enough 3pt shooter. She was awful at the 3 but was a very good player offensively. She could also hit her ft's though. And with Dorka being so awful as ft shooter - she doesn't give very much if she also is affected by the 3pt line extension. But . . . if her 3pt shooting was legit and even the extension of the 3pt line doesn't affect her- and there is a fix for her ft shooting to be at least decent-- all are possible too- then she probably turns into a tremendous player. Thus- there is an enormous variance.

:)If you tell me the answer to these 4 points -I could make up a list. Right now it's too brutal. I'm guessing when you made up your list you think Azzi and Evina's knees are okay? And the extended 3pt line won't affect anyone? Also, for me- I've been against the notion many want on here to be press/press/press/use a deep bench. But this year might be the 1st time I could see it -possibly - depending on the answers. For my preference though is to play the superstars/all-americans/honorable mention caliber a/a's in big games. And they get enough minutes in blowouts too.

Reaction Score
Huskee,

No. I didn't project what you're saying. I said last year we beat them. This year- who knows?

IMO there are no assurances for beating super elite teams.. You play your best players - and if UCONN plays at a level you think they can achieve - you have a shot to win it all. On paper Arizona wasn't supposed to come potentially a few seconds away from a championship and yet they did. And overall UCONN should be much better than last year Az.

And with SC - it can be a catch-22 imo. For example- if we're talking specifically "Nika" - it should mean that her 3pt shot is working. Add in both Azzi and Paige - they live on the perimeter. UCONN would have 3 pg's on the floor and two of them are very elite passers and two are very elite shooters. On defense Boston and Cardoso would have to defend the perimeter too- not their strength. Now - potentially- you have two players not defending to their strength. - And with that lineup - they have one less shooter on the floor - so maybe it will be easier to play a gimmick sagging defense.

And it's just 1 game. I've identified 18 minutes average for Nika for a season. That leaves time for bigs to get their minutes during the season too. If Nika is knocking down 3's I'd amend my prediction and give her an average of 20 minutes - and then maybe more depending on the 4 prior questions. OFC that would possibly drop for example if Dorka is terrific.

What are your thoughts? You like Dorka a bit I think? So what would you think of Dorka, Edwards, Paige, Azzi and Nika for a time as long as Nika can also hit her 3's?

Reaction Score
What are your thoughts? You like Dorka a bit I think? So what would you think of Dorka, Edwards, Paige, Azzi and Nika for a time as long as Nika can also hit her 3's?

That could be next year's starting 5. I can't see it happening this year though. Can't imagine a more efficient 3 players on offense then Paige and Azzi shooting from the perimeter and Aaliyah to put back anything they happen to miss, or finish the pick and roll. Just pair them with two players who can defend and pass them the ball.

Reaction Score
That could be next year's starting 5. I can't see it happening this year though. Can't imagine a more efficient 3 players on offense then Paige and Azzi shooting from the perimeter and Aaliyah to put back anything they happen to miss, or finish the pick and roll. Just pair them with two players who can defend and pass them the ball.
Will Dorka have another year after this coming one?

Reaction Score
Dorka, Christyn, Olivia and Evina could all come back. Extra years due to covid.
I really could only realistically see Dorka coming back. CW, Liv, Evina onto bigger and better things.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't even think S.C. fans are that excited about Cardoso. We have a few more fouls to give this year, that might come in handy in that game, but she is not yet elite.

She was not first-team ACC on the coaches poll.
I'm not sure which SC fans you are talking to but the ones that post on the BY are excited and surprised to have her. Without Cardoso last year SC led the nation in block shots and was 3 in rebounding margin. With her South Carolina will be a more formidable team and tougher to score on. In the next matchup UCONN will have to shoot much better from deep than last time (2 of 15) and BTW this game will be in Columbia, SC.

PvP

Reaction Score
While it is true that we handled Cardoso in the tournament, the talent around her will make this our toughest regular season game. I expect to win on superior outside shooting drawing their bigs away from the basket.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom